timebandit
12-28-2008, 03:02 PM
Interesting info on Iron Butt rides!

http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/

One day I will do this!

Check this one--"Ultimate Coast to Coast"

dabull
12-28-2008, 03:04 PM
eeeeeeeeeeks, none of that sounds good to me....gotta stop and ummm....smell the flowers....

timebandit
12-28-2008, 03:12 PM
I always stop and smell the roses!

This would be a once in a lifetime trip sort of like a "Been there done that"

coacha
12-28-2008, 05:25 PM
I really want to do a SS 1000 some day. I have charted out routes and stuff but never taken the plunge.

dabull
12-28-2008, 05:46 PM
maybe once i overcome my "buffeting" issue it will become clear to me.... :)

rlfaubion
12-28-2008, 06:31 PM
Personally, I believe Iron Butt Rides are an unnecessary, useless and dangerous ego trip. I also believe this attitude contributed to Chuck Burt's fatal accident.

I know it can be exiting to push yourself to limits for nothing other than the satisfaction of saying "I did that", but I'd suggest the opposite. Take more time off and travel 250 miles a day after day after day after day after,,,, for many more thousands of miles.

well, obviously I'm not a supporter nor impressed with Iron butt rides.

coacha
12-28-2008, 06:53 PM
Everyone has an opinion and I support your right to express it.

I have met many of these gentlemen and it doesn't seem that they are egomaniacs or anything but most are anything but that. One here locally is one of the most mild mannered and helpful gentlemen I have met.

Your supposition as this type of ride contributing to Chuck's untimely death may be the case or may not...we will never know for sure.

As for the shorter days and enjoyment, I have done 500 mile slab only days, 500 on side roads and short day trips and enjoyed them all. It is the ride and sharing with friends that is my excitement and enjoyment.

timebandit
12-28-2008, 07:02 PM
Personally, I believe Iron Butt Rides are an unnecessary, useless and dangerous ego trip. I also believe this attitude contributed to Chuck Burt's fatal accident.

I know it can be exiting to push yourself to limits for nothing other than the satisfaction of saying "I did that", but I'd suggest the opposite. Take more time off and travel 250 miles a day after day after day after day after,,,, for many more thousands of miles.

well, obviously I'm not a supporter nor impressed with Iron butt rides.

It depends for what reason you do it!

http://www.motoendurose.com/english/index.htm

Top Cat
12-28-2008, 07:33 PM
I'm with Valdez on this one. Ride to enjoy the ride. If you want to go 1000 miles in a day jump in the car and hit the superslab.
It seems to me pushing your self like that can only slow your reaction time and your awareness of your surroundings, putting you in danger.
I'm in enough danger when I ride. Don't need to add to it. ;)

Yellow Jacket
12-28-2008, 08:30 PM
How many trucking companies will allow their drivers to put in 18-24 hours straight on the road? None of them???????? Gee...I wonder what they know about fatigue?

coacha
12-28-2008, 08:32 PM
None legally that is Bob. They fudge their log books and such, or at least they did back in my dad's day.

Netnorske
12-28-2008, 08:47 PM
I'm with Valdez on this too, but everyone has a different take I'm sure. Iron Butt Rides don't even sound fun....OR safe. My Nad is so comfy now that I'm pretty sure if I kicked back, locked my throttle and kicked my feet up on the pegs....I very possibly could start snoring after 500 miles... http://s2.images.proboards.com/shocked.gif. I would prefer to consciously do that in the comfort of a hotel bed than unconsciously do it at 70 mph on the Highway.... :-/ JMHO.

skeeter
12-28-2008, 10:29 PM
Everyone has a limit to their endurance and many factors weighing against our alertness and reaction times. If I simply have to be somewhere I'll pull out all the tricks to get me though. Including leaving as early as possible, planning frequent stops to get the blood circulating, pulling over for a powernap, and sending up a prayer. Bragging rights don't seem to matter so much as getting where I want to go in one piece.

novijoe
12-29-2008, 08:02 AM
I did a 550 mile trip once taking the scenic route back from Kentucky in just over 13 hours. That was good enough for me. My trips East and West had overnights planned every 300-350 miles. I like to be able to look around a bit. No endurance rides for me, I have over 50,000 miles under my belt in the last 3 yrs...I have nothing to prove.

phenrichs
12-29-2008, 08:56 AM
I really want to do a SS 1000 some day. I have charted out routes and stuff but never taken the plunge.
coacha,
Check out the Motorcycle Tourer's Forum. It is all about long distance riding. They sponsor many iron butt rides. Many of them are regional and many in the south. They set the route and recommend stops and provide witnesses in many cases. You would most likely find others that would be willing to ride with you for support as well.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTourer/start

phenrichs
12-29-2008, 09:03 AM
I guess I am kind of guilty in this arena. I am sort of a throttle jockey wether I am in the cage or on the bike. I will just keep going as long as I feel good. I once drove 850 miles from Watertown, SD to Garden City, KS. Took 14 hours. I took a 2-3 hour nap and drove back. Had to pick up a stranded friend. Had a new truck that was a straight stick and she didn't know how to drive stick.

I know that was stupid. But I was alot younger then.
I have seriously considered an IB ride. I figure whether I do it or not it is a damn good reason to get in better physical condition. I figure if I am in better shape any long ride will be more comfortable and fun.

dantama
12-29-2008, 10:27 AM
Interesting topic. Here's my two cents.

I ride long distances, and on several occasions I could have done an iron butt if I went a little further. Before I even read Valdez's post I was trying to think of whats the difference?

For me at least, the competition nature of an IBR makes it more dangerous. On a 900 mile ride, I don't have any pressure to keep going, other than just wanting to get there. I could certainly stop if I wanted to. Make it a competition, even if it is with myself, and I'll push further to win (even if it is only bragging rights and a certificate).

At the Western Rally I rode in Zions till 4:00pm and then was going to ride to Denver. At 11:00pm I decided to stop and get a room and continue on in the morning. Make it a competition, and I would have kept going. I think the problem with an IBR is that people will push themselves to keep going. The escalation of commitment will make them keep going, after all, they only need 150 more miles and the clock is ticking. It's now or have to start all over another time. And they may keep going when they shouldn't.

This might not be true for everyone, and there is certain to be some exceptions, but it is human nature for sure. With my personality traits, I know that I'll push to hard just by the nature of it being a competition.

coacha
12-29-2008, 10:52 AM
coacha,
Check out the Motorcycle Tourer's Forum. It is all about long distance riding. They sponsor many iron butt rides. Many of them are regional and many in the south. They set the route and recommend stops and provide witnesses in many cases. You would most likely find others that would be willing to ride with you for support as well.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTourer/start

I know this makes a board whore but I go over there and chat with them on occasion and read their stuff. There was a ride in Elkins, WV when we were there last summer.

cactusjack
12-29-2008, 11:15 AM
I'm warming to the idea of doing an Iron Butt ride. I honestly don't know if I could spend that much time on the bike, even with my Mustang seat. I wouldn't want to attempt one alone, though. Finding a buddy to go along might be tough. He'd have to be as crazy as I am to even want to do it.

I've been thinking about a Phoenix > Socorro NM > El Paso TX > Tucson > Phoenix loop. If I do it, it will be in the spring. NOT during summer.

waterman
12-29-2008, 11:47 AM
I'm warming to the idea of doing an Iron Butt ride. I honestly don't know if I could spend that much time on the bike, even with my Mustang seat. I wouldn't want to attempt one alone, though. Finding a buddy to go along might be tough. He'd have to be as crazy as I am to even want to do it.

I've been thinking about a Phoenix > Socorro NM > El Paso TX > Tucson > Phoenix loop. If I do it, it will be in the spring. NOT during summer.

CJ,

If you did it during the summer you could call it the rusty butt ride (sweat causes rust).

coacha
12-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Or a "Crusty Butt Ride"....

phenrichs
12-29-2008, 02:18 PM
I guess I never looked at the IB rallies as a competition. I always viewed it more as a support group kind of thing. A way to do it without doing it alone. They also take care of the paperwork which I think would be nice. If and when I decide I am ready to try I will make an effort to attend one of them. I think it is always nice if you have someone with experience to help you with anything new of that level.
That's if I do it. Maybe I will practice by heading to AZ and then taking off with CJ. Now that his trailer is done he can tote the beer (or scotch) for the victory party. :)

schoeney
12-29-2008, 08:15 PM
Interesting topic.

My initial reaction was like Valdez's. Stupid idea that puts rider and public at risk. Doesn't even sound like fun.

But I ran a relay race (on foot not a bike) last year, called the Hood to Coast. Your team covers about 200 miles in 28-30 hours.
It was fun and a good test of your stamina.

So I can see the IBR attraction for some....but not for me.

In the end if I got too tired running I could only hurt myself directly not others.

When riding my bike I know I will stay within my comfort zone and owe it to my family and the public to stay fresh and alert. That is usually an 8-10 hour day max.

In addition I don't drink alcohol until I am done riding for the day....but once it is over....look out http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

When Chuck died he did put in a ton of miles in a short period of time. Not just on his last leg but his entire trip as well. We will never know if fatigue was a big factor but common sense says it probably was.

I think Chuck would want us to learn from that.

dantama
12-30-2008, 12:21 PM
I guess I never looked at the IB rallies as a competition.

I know you were speaking for yourself, not others, but here is some snipped comments from Chucks. It sounds like a competition to me.

I know it would be a competition for me too. I might even do it sometime, but it'll be a competition with myself.

No problem for the regular Bun Burner 1500+ in under 36 hours.

I have started this ride by not following my own prep rules
• Start hydration three days prior to start of ride
• Good rest at least two days before the ride
• Eat a large meal right before departing
I work in the yard the day of the ride and lost lots of fluid. The past two evening I've had less that five hours sleep each night. I planned to depart at 4 PM but actually departed at 8 PM so I didn't take time to eat anything.

This will come back to haunt me later.

As for the Bun Burner Gold 1500+ miles in 24 hours it looked like touch and go around Amarillo but with some open road and light traffic in the wee hours of the morning and with the same conditions on US 30 in Wyoming (except for passing the deputy sheriff who was already doing 5 over the limit) I was able to up the cruising speed.

…..but looking at the GPS my time still looks tight.

The next leg going west on I-80 is going to be challenging in keeping my mover average speed up high enough to make my goal

I'm starting to get more concerned about competing this run in under 24 hours.

I Made IT! 1522 Miles in 23 hours and 52 minutes. What a trip.

. It was close but the gas receipts confirm the time.

I'll submit my paperwork when I get back.

On getting sleepy.
I had to pull over twice to stay awake and safe. This was unusual for me but I didn't get much sleep two nights prior to departure (about 4 hours each night) so I was not well rested.

coloradontexas
12-30-2008, 04:44 PM
It sounds like a challenge to me, And to challenge yourself is to improve your self.

dabull
12-30-2008, 04:48 PM
Or a "Crusty Butt Ride"....

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww...that aint right.....

flightdoc
12-31-2008, 12:11 PM
One of the MSF coaches I teach with has done two of the 11k IB in the past. He says there's a lot of preparation and planning that go into it. It's is an enderance test but he says there's a great deal of strategy involved.
I think you have to qualify for the big one by riding the shorter ones.

vin

Top Cat
01-06-2009, 09:43 AM
It sounds like a challenge to me, And to challenge yourself is to improve your self.

Within reason. Sounds to me Chuck went a little over board at times.
1522 miles in 23 hrs and 52 min = 64.7 mph AVERAGE.
So what TOP speeds do you imagine a person would have to hit to allow for city and village slower travel?

skeeter
01-06-2009, 10:07 AM
How long do you stay in the saddle after you know your judgement and reactive ability are impaired? We all take risks. It's up to the individual to decide whether it's worth the risk of putting himself, and the others he has no idea his decisions will affect, in danger. If your riding with me, in front of me, or behind me, your life is in my hands. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. I prefer winning and having company.

dogdoc
01-06-2009, 01:48 PM
COUNT ME out,,,lol