PDA

View Full Version : GPS & Microsoft Streets & Trips

Top Cat
12-15-2008, 02:18 PM
I have a Microsoft Streets & Trips program and was wondering if it was possible to down load my planned trips to a GPS.
Do any of you know what GPS units are compatible? If so, which ones? I would like to know for sure before I spend a lot of money on one. Thanks

rickyboy
12-17-2008, 05:49 AM
Just curious as to why you'd want to download to your GPS. Is it just that you like the S&T program?? Most, if not all GPS's come with maps preloaded don't they?. My Magellan "crossover" did. I don't know of any GPS that runs a Microsoft prog..

Top Cat
12-17-2008, 06:21 PM
Rick, Can you plan your trips on a GPS. I like to pick the roads I ride. I am under the impression that with a GPS you pick a destination and it tells you what roads to follow. Can you program a different route with the roads you want to ride with the maps in the GPS?

glwilson
12-19-2008, 11:22 AM
TC; there are some GPS's with the capability to download "pre-selected" routes.

I know that my Magellan 4250 is a complete hassle to do that with -- thus I do not.

I simply use another program to chart my route, then I print it or write it down to use when travelling.

My GPS comes in more "handy" when I decide to just "wing-it" and I get a bit confused as to where I am at and which way to go.

I am sure if you ask the store about a GPS that does that you could then consider that brand/model -- and I am sure they would know which models do.

rhunt4
12-19-2008, 09:12 PM
the garmin 2610 can be program from your computor to run the route you wont to travel

dantama
12-22-2008, 02:07 PM
I don't have a GPS for my bike, but wish I did. I bought one for my car when we moved to Denver because it was a new city and I didn't know where anything was. Now I know my way around town and don't use it.

But when we went to Atlanta to buy my wife's car we took it. It was nice to tell it to find a gas station and it would take us right to one. I also like the restaurant finder that will give you a list of restaurants in the area and lead you to it.

trip
12-22-2008, 05:28 PM
TC,
I'm not sure about other brands of GPS'...but with the Garmin brand, you get a software package called the City Navigator that let's you pre-plan trips and save them on your GPS for later usage.

I do this all the time on my Garmin Zumo 550. The software lets you plan a route better than MS Streets and Trips (which I have also). I have numerous routes saved on my GPS that I call up and use when I'm in the area.

Trip

Top Cat
12-25-2008, 01:06 AM
Trip, is the City Navigator program on the GPS itself or do you down load it to your computer then upload the route onto the GPS.
Either way I will probably have the 550 by spring. It sounds like what I have been lookin' for. Thanks

skeeter
12-28-2008, 10:45 PM
Want the Zumo 550 also. Need a new TV first.

trip
12-29-2008, 07:43 AM
Trip, is the City Navigator program on the GPS itself or do you down load it to your computer then upload the route onto the GPS.
Either way I will probably have the 550 by spring. It sounds like what I have been lookin' for. Thanks

TC,
City Navigator is a separate CD that comes with the Garmin GPS and is installed and used on a PC. Then you just use a USB to connect the PC to the GPS unit.

That way, you can create your routes on your PC with City Navigator, then connect your GPS to your PC and copy the routes over to your GPS. On a Zumo, when your done, you just disconnect the USB and import the routes.

Trip

Top Cat
12-29-2008, 05:50 PM
Thanks Trip, sounds like just what I'm lookin' for http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

bobzinger
01-01-2009, 04:18 PM
Like you I like to plan our clubs routes on the computer and then download. It's much easier on my eyes and to change routes just by dragging the route.
I can't download S&T to my Garmin Quest so I use Mapsource which is not as user friendly. I just bought a Garmin Streetpilot 2820 yesterday and supposedly you can use gogglemaps on it. I hope S&T can download to the new GPS.

radco
01-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Garmin is all I use and City Nav. as stated is a bit of a pain but not bad.. PLUS you can download routes from other sites to your PC and upload to the GPS in the Favorite folder. IMO GARMI has the BESt Tech support.. from what I hear Tom Tom has Fair tech support,,and Me being a Tech Tard I need all the help I can get..:)....

radco
01-01-2009, 07:52 PM
Like you I like to plan our clubs routes on the computer and then download. It's much easier on my eyes and to change routes just by dragging the route.
I can't download S&T to my Garmin Quest so I use Mapsource which is not as user friendly. I just bought a Garmin Streetpilot 2820 yesterday and supposedly you can use gogglemaps on it. I hope S&T can download to the new GPS.
BOB would you post how ou like the 2820? I have the 2720 and may upgrade to the 2820 for the bike,and the 2720 for my truck.... Where did you get yours??? THANKs Rich

bobzinger
01-02-2009, 11:18 AM
I'll let you know how the 2820 works. It was only $245 from the following web site. It has all the features I want for a great price.
http://www.getfeetwet.com/Default.aspx