PDA

View Full Version : trip to northeast US

n9151
12-10-2008, 10:53 PM
am starting to plan our trip to NE part of USA in 2009. We are leaving from North Platte, Nebr and plan on taking 3 - 4 weeks. Our objectives are to miss the congested cities, see the fall colors and hit some off road good eats. With that in mind, any and all suggestions to routes, rides, time of year to go, or any other information would be most appreciated. Will be pulling our m/c camper. thanks to all in advance jw

dantama
12-11-2008, 12:40 PM
I've only tiptoed over the Mississippi river, so can't help you there. But I'll be interested to see the answers you will get. Sometime I'd like to buy a Nomad in the NE and ride it back home.

Top Cat
12-12-2008, 03:15 PM
We have some really beautiful scenery here in NY State.
I would recommend you Ride either or all of these locations.
Finger Lakes, Catskill Mountains, and Adirondack Mountains.
I would get a Road Atlas and check out different roads in the states you plan on riding. The Atlas has scenic roads marked .
By the time you get ready to ride this thread will probably get buried so you may have to keep bumping it to the top.
If you have any specific questions pertaining to riding NY State Just ask. You can ask here or PM me.

fish
12-13-2008, 07:14 AM
Motorcycle Roads in the US, under KawaNOW links, thats what I use

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/

bkmaxvrb
12-13-2008, 12:00 PM
N9151,

The best time of year would be the first two weeks of October. I always take those two weeks off from work myself and enjoy the fall riding. Be prepared for pretty cold mornings though. You can't get the color without it.

I always like riding rt 97 on the NY / PA border. I like stopping at Don and Irene's (I think) diner in Port Jervis for good eats. From there, shoot over to Harriman State park and go up rt 9W or cross the Bear Mountain Bridge and make your way up the east side of the Hudson river.

In the Adirondacks, you have a plethora of roads. Rt's 28, 30 and 3 are the three main roads that would give you the biggest bang for your viewing buck. There's a place just outside of Lake Placid that's pretty inexpensive and privately owned for lodging. It's on Rt 86 and it's styled after a Swiss chalet. It has "Swiss" in the name but that escapes me right now.

I would recommend going to www.madmaps.com (http://www.madmaps.com) and getting the one for NY (USRT 210), it's part 4 of the Atlantic series as well as the one for PA & NJ (USRT 200), part 3 of the Atlantic series. They're about $10 a piece or you can get the same thing as a download for your GPS. They have some really nice routes laid out that take in some of the best the areas have to offer.

Like the others, you can PM or e-mail me at anytime for specific suggestions or to bounce ideas around. I was born and raised in upstate NY and now live in NE PA.

Top Cat
12-13-2008, 12:04 PM
That looks like a nice site Larry but I'm on dial up and I could ride to the road and check it out in person before the damn map loads. ;) http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

bkmaxvrb may be thinking of the Swiss Acres Motor Inn.

huskers
12-14-2008, 08:11 AM
There are more good roads here in the North East, than bad. You can't go wrong with Vermont or New Hampshire. Eastern Massachusetts has too much traffic, but the western parts in the Berkshires are fantastic. Northern Connecticut is really colorful in the fall. We've also done extensive riding in both the Adirondacks and Catskills in New York. If you have an idea what and where you'd like to ride, drop me an email and I'll map it out for you. BTW- I gew up in Omaha, and moved here after I retired from the service.

- Bernie

Top Cat
12-14-2008, 08:18 PM
There are more good roads here in the North East, than bad. You can't go wrong with Vermont or New Hampshire. Eastern Massachusetts has too much traffic, but the western parts in the Berkshires are fantastic. Northern Connecticut is really colorful in the fall. We've also done extensive riding in both the Adirondacks and Catskills in New York. If you have an idea what and where you'd like to ride, drop me an email and I'll map it out for you. BTW- I gew up in Omaha, and moved here after I retired from the service.
- Bernie

Wheres here ??? I don't see anything in your profile ;)

huskers
12-14-2008, 10:05 PM
Sorry, can't figure out how to put a location down. I live in Dracut, Massachusetts. It's about 30 miles northwest of Boston, on the border of southern New Hampshire. I'm an operations shift supervisor at Distrigas of Massachusetts, a liquified natural gas import terminal in Boston. I ride a green/silver 2006 Nomad which I've had for two years now. My wife also rides and she has a 2008 Harley Electraglide Ultra Classic. I'm the First Officer of the Merrimack Valley chapter of Southern Cruisers, and we're both PGR members. We do a lot of riding in the area, and a few rallies including Americade and Laconia. Next year we're planning a ten day trip to Blue Ridge Pkwy., Deal's Gap, and Graceland in Memphis. Guess I should have included this info first.

schoeney
12-14-2008, 10:28 PM
JW + Huskers welcome to the loony bin!

If you haven't used it before, here is a link to HD's site for planning a bike trip...once you get the hang of it it is addicting...at least HD got one thing right! Just kidding...I am sure they have done something else right too.

Just click on the map to launch the ride planner....if you don't sign up (no cost) you won't be able to save what you entered but you can still use the planner.

Good luck!

Top Cat
12-15-2008, 02:12 PM
huskers , not a problem. thanks for the info. I thought there was a place on all profiles to add your location. Sounds like you are a pretty busy guy http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

schoeney
12-15-2008, 03:46 PM
oooops....forgot the link...here it is

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/Ride_Planner/Ride_Planner.jsp?HDCWPSession=xQ4LL9gGkFwJJLvJDrQW WkyK4Jhp5W6QTxnJ2FP6kGLhmnrXvh2p!-126472536!2005081819&locale=en_US

flightdoc
12-16-2008, 04:21 PM
n9151
I live in coastal New Hampshire. Many great rides in this part of the country. Route 1 / 1A in NH and ME are pretty good rides. The Kangamangus hwy out of Lincoln or No. Conway , NH is a very nice ride, especially during the fall colors. Maine has many great country roads to ride. Just pick one and go. I've ridden in the Armish country in PA before.....beautiful area's.

vin

flavor
01-25-2009, 05:23 PM
I live in the west/central part of RI and do most of my riding in Ct when I'm not riding all day. Almost all the roads in CT that are about 10 miles east of Hartford and New Haven are excellent. One of the best is 169 which runs north and south. Route 14 east and west. Rte. 201 is nice and all the roads in the north- east part of CT are great. If you're east of Hartford the extreme northwest part of Ct is also nice and crossing into Ma on rte 7 or 8 is beautiful. The best roads in Ma seem to be best, west of Springfield.

sarge1057
01-28-2009, 08:22 AM
Don't wait to late in the year to do upstate NY Snow in late Oct. is not out of the Question. Taking the Ferry from Cape Vincent to Kingston Ontario Canada is a nice ride Come back into the US over the 1000 Island Bridge very pretty.

sarge1057
01-28-2009, 08:34 AM
http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc324/sarge1057/P9210145-1.jpg

Another place you should go is Mt. Washington in New Hampshire. I'm told its a beautiful view when its clear.