PDA

View Full Version : Florida Vacation

timebandit
11-13-2008, 11:58 PM
We are planning on going back to Florida during March 09. does anyone know of cottages, cabins, condos and /or homes for rent? we are looking at probably from 3 weeks to a month in Florida. Thanks for the help

mrfuni
11-14-2008, 06:14 AM
Let's start with where in Florida are you looking to go?

timebandit
11-14-2008, 06:54 AM
We are open to suggestions. We went 2 years ago and stayed at Ormand beach. We spent a few days at the bike week then rode down to Key west. (would like to do the keys again). We visited St Augustine an really loved it. We are open to suggestions.

Thanks

coacha
11-14-2008, 08:11 AM
West side of the state is nice, around where I am. There are numerous places around Homosassa and Crystal River that offer longer term rentals like you are looking for. Some are right on the river and have excellent views.

mrfuni
11-14-2008, 04:40 PM
OK, what in Florida is important to you? Beaches, close to cities for culture, sports, etc? What is your budget? Florida is such a diverse state but it has something for everyone depending on your budget or priorities.

timebandit
11-14-2008, 05:25 PM
We are open to suggestion from people that live or have been in florida riding before. My better half as her scuba certification, we have to include scuba in there to keep that half happy. I'm happy of just riding as much as I can in new areas. We like the "bikeweek"stuff but after 2 days of looking at bikes we get bored and would prefer having new adventures.

mrfuni
11-14-2008, 05:33 PM
The area near Coach has nice roads for riding. I'm sure he can advise you on routes, etc. There are actually hills and twisties in the central and northern part of the state. Down south where I am it's pretty much straight and flat roads. Best diving is in the Keys, but if start looking now, you may find a place and it'll be very expensive. I've been here for 31 years and prefer the more quiet west coast over the east coast. Spring training is in full swing in March if you like baseball. Tampa has NHL hockey, and Ft. Myers has minor league hockey. Let me know how I can help. Joe

rflnomad
11-14-2008, 08:23 PM
I agree with Joe. Any area north of the I-4 corridor is nice. Better riding roads and just a short jaunt for anything. I live in SE Flori-duh and it is crazy. traffic, people, boring riding.
my .02c? contact Coacha and/or look north of I-4. Good diving around Crystal River but the Keys are great for diving. Try Bahia Honda State Park or John Pennekamp State park if you want to dive the Keys.

timebandit
11-15-2008, 11:13 AM
Citrus County area seems realy nicen 9as per what I can see on the internet0. Lost of scuba stuff for the lady, and I read somewhere that the roads for riding are awsome.

Any recommendation on where to stay?
We will be driving down with both bikes in the trailer from Canada, we would need a location to park the truck and trailer while in Florida.

Thanks for the suggestion of Crystal River area

formikec
11-16-2008, 11:24 PM
We visited Ft. Myers, Naples this year and absolutely loved it. Beautiful area with lots of natural resources. If you happen to get close to there I highly, highly, recommend spending the money to do this:
http://www.evergladesjetskitours.com/

I'm a cheap SOB, and it is definately worth the cost.

;)

coacha
11-17-2008, 05:38 PM
You can scuba with the manatees and such about 2 miles from my house. Lots of dive shops around. North of us you can do some fresh water diving too in some of the springs but some have caves, which scare the crap out of most people.

We are only 2 hours from the east coast over here by the back roads to Daytona and St. Augustine. Lots of riders over here, not many Nomads though. Wife and I ride every chance we can on the weekends and have some friends we ride with that do some "extended rides" on the weekend.

Hit me up when the time gets closer and you decide where you are going to stay. I'd be more than honored to meet you and go for a ride through our part of the state. I know some pretty good eating establishments too, lol. If you look at my waist, it gives me away http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

kawgirl
11-18-2008, 10:09 PM
I swam with the manatees in Crystal River a few years ago. What an awesome thing to do!!!

coacha
11-19-2008, 08:23 AM
I swam with the manatees in Crystal River a few years ago. What an awesome thing to do!!!

You sure they were manatees? We got some big' uns around here that swim near the springs, lol.

formikec
11-22-2008, 12:17 AM

Ewwwwww...after seeing some of their turds floating in the water, I'll pass. Want a visual? Think human turds floating on top of the water, yep, I'm not getting in with them... http://s2.images.proboards.com/shocked.gif

bugman
11-22-2008, 11:03 AM
i also live on the west coast in spring hill, some nice country hills and curves around, also another biker lives in Lecanto and he is a scuba diver and knows all the great spots around here... on this side its not so commercial, lots of scenic areas but still lots to do

timebandit
11-23-2008, 02:20 AM
I think we've decided on the west cost. Trying to fing a place to stay for 2-3 weeks that I can park the truck and trailer .

Thanks all for the info.

Will check back with some of you before heading out so we can maybe meet and go for a ride.