PDA

View Full Version : We made our fall ride

watchman
11-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Liz and I left Saturday after the fog lifted and headed south on some secondary and blacktop roads to Glasgow, MO. We hit hwy 87 which is one of our favorite roads with lots of curves and hills south to Boonville. At Boonville we took hwy 98 to 179 south and ended up at our oldest sons house just west of Jefferson City. We installed a set of passenger floor boards on the oldest son's bike and after lunch we all headed south on hwy 17 down the west side of Fort Lenard Wood to hwy 32. We turned east on hwy 32 and got to Salem just before dark.

We where a little disappointed as the fall colors was a little drab and we thought we had waited to late to make the ride. But the next morning when we left Salem on hwy 32 east, Missouri showed us her true self as we road all day with beautiful trees in full color. We continued on east on hwy 32 to hwy 21 and dropped down to Elephant Rock State Park and walked the trail there. We left and hit some black tops and circled around to Potosi and did lunch. After lunch we took hwy 185 north. If you have never been on this road it is well worth the effort to do so. It is one curve and hill after another and if you get to ride it in Autumn's full colors it ranks for me as one of the best of the best roads I have ridden.

We ended up taking hwy 50 and then hwy 19 to Herman where we parted company with the kids, them returning to Jefferson City and Liz and I to Macon via I-70 and MO 63. We where in a hurry as dark was fast approaching and I had a funeral ride to prepare for on Monday.

All in all it was a great weekend, we got to share it with our oldest son and his girlfriend. And got to ride some of my favorite roads and enjoying the beautiful fall colors. Hopefully we will do it again next year! Wish you all could have been there with us.

Jim

skeeter
11-05-2008, 11:47 PM
I read between the lines a bit and went along on your little trip.

edit- Thanks for the ride. :)

11-10-2008, 11:38 PM
I have driven some of those roads many times.Rode them as well. 87,179 are great bike roads.I have two uncles that live in Eldon, and a good friend at the Lake of the Ozarks.My grandparents lived in Eugene, hiway 17, when I was a kid.Spent many summers there.Sounds like you had an incredible ride.
Now I'm up in Nebraska in the flatlands.LOL. It's not so bad really.