PDA

View Full Version : Brownwood/Abilene

skeeter
11-02-2008, 03:21 PM
Had to make a quick trip to Abilene so I posted late Friday night on TxVROC to see if I could catch Thrustmaster and NightNurse for lunch. When I checked the forum Saturday morning, NightNurse (from San Angelo) said they already had plans for Underwoods Cafeteria in Brownwood. She hinted that it wasn't much of a detour. It wasn't quite 8am and I was already dressed to go so I posted back that I'd be there early. I had a good time lolligaggin along. Stopped in Brady to fill up and stand in the sunshine. Twas a bit cool and damp this morning. I had layered up some and had my chaps and my fleece lined face thingy but my feet were cold. Shoulda wore boots instead of tennies.
So I was standing in the sunshine lookin at the purty blue sky checking out the contrails of the airliners I had seen earlier. I kept hearing jets but couldn't spot them. They weren't very loud and there was a bit of traffic but I finally spotted three different fighters cutting up the sky. I could only see them for about a quarter of their circles and they were high enough I couldn't make out what they were. Sure looked like fun. Amazing stuff happening right over our heads and I would have never caught if I was in a rush.
Met some Lonestar riders that were also waiting for Scott and Ritas' bunch at Underwoods where we had some scrumptious vitttles and a bit of a BS sessions. One of their bunch was headed back to View which is where I was headin so he let me tag along.
Took care of business and chatted up the neighbors afore headin back. BTW TM, I took the Nad up the hill. Up wasn't bad, just don't stop for anything. Coming down I didn't have a choice and had to stop (while I could,LOL). She slipped sideways after I stopped and I had to lay it over gently on the guards. No damage. No problems the rest of the way down. What a thrill. Need some of Cabbys' offroad tires.
Close to 5pm when I gas up South of Abilene and I poured on the coals while the Sun was shining. Picturesque ride. Can't quite put it into words. Put your minds eye on wide open wheat-colored fields with an occasional redtailed hawk cruisin for some wabbit. Throw in some cows, horses and goats and remember the train we just passed with all those armored vehicles headed South. Oh and remember how the setting Sun bathed the hillsides in that soft orange glow and the tiny patch of rainbow in the clouds on either side, hinting at the magnitude of beauty beyond our reckoning.

Topped of in Brady and donned some gear for the comming chill. wasn't looking forward to dark. With hunting season and the coming dusk, I wondered how the deer were moving. Wasn't long brfore the erie half light of twilight was upon us. The roadside blending into the road with danger not just at every turn but all along the uncut tangle of grasses and weeds. Caught up with a small truck that was making a reasonable pace and slowed to shadow him all the way to Fritztown ( Fredericksburg). I stayed a little to the right behind him so I could scope the way ahead in his headlights. I could catch some glimpses thru his back windows too and he blocked the glare of oncoming headlights from blinding me. He didn't seem to mind and I got a wave when I passed him in town before I turned to Kerrville.
Rolled in to the shed at 8:33pm. Neck and shoulders a bit tense but none the worse for wear. Only did about 430mi. Good to meet some new to me folks. Good food, good fellowship, great ride

skeeter
11-02-2008, 03:22 PM
In addendum.... I went thru a lot of stuff in the last couple weeks with my truck breaking down and ensueing expenses, misplaced cordless drill, lost key to gate padlock, lost $20 sunglasses made to fit over prescription and had to buy new pair.

When the tranny went I was able to reverse uphill to the job and was able to work anyway and had a good time to boot. The rental was fun to drive. My other brother came and picked up me and the truck. It was a great time. my Pastor lent me his Mazda pickup to run around in last week. This week my truck got fixed. Mucho dinero but fixed. I went to Abilene to change out the padlock to combination to acomodate the power company. I took the bolt cutters, which just fit in the Nad bags,to cut away the lock I lost the key for. I had intended to park the bike at the bottm and hike up. Instead I rode the Nad up. It was a thrill. I found my lost shades by the front door. Thanks Dad! you know God I've been struggling over cutting Byrons padlock. It would be awesome to find that key. 5 minutes of searching and found the key in the grass. Glory be...... On the way home a bird hit the windshield and went over my head as I ducked behind it. Don't think I would have seen it in time if I hadn't been patiently riding behind that truck watching the path he lit. Count your blessings.

dantama
11-02-2008, 11:58 PM
Sounds like a good ride at the end of a very bad week. Sometimes I wonder how all those non riders cope? :)

trip
11-03-2008, 07:23 AM
That's you Skeeter....always pushing the envelope. Glad you had a good trip. And glad you made it through everything OK.