PDA

View Full Version : Pinging

blowndodge
07-23-2007, 08:48 PM
I'm sure some of you have Nomads that ping. Mine did and I adjusted the tps which helped some.

I haven't done it yet but I read somewhere that "marbling" the exhaust even if you don't have custom exhausts helps in this.

Have any of you tried this? For those that don't know what this is its behind the intake cover on our Nomads and in the two o'clock position is a large rubber hose. Some have blocked this hose to stop the backfire they get when installing different exhausts.

Its put there to add air to the exhaust furthering the complete combustion of the spent gases. I always thought it would be a source of heat since it's relying on the extra heat to complete combustion.

Think I will try it this weekend as see if it works.

Adjusting the TPS (throttle position sensor) go to http://www.gadgetjq.com/tps_adjust.htm and check it out. The last review is my results.

Brad

bluetongue
07-23-2007, 09:30 PM
Blowndodge, I did the marble trick minus the marble I turned a piece of aluminum that plugged off the hose you are talking about. I had less pinging after the marbling procedure was completed. I have recently install V&H Baggers and the pinging is gone or I just can't hear it anymore http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

blowndodge
07-23-2007, 10:59 PM
Blowndodge, I did the marble trick minus the marble I turned a piece of aluminum that plugged off the hose you are talking about. I had less pinging after the marbling procedure was completed. I have recently install V&H Baggers and the pinging is gone or I just can't hear it anymore http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

Well if you can't hear it then it must be gone!! Still up in the air over exhausts. Roadhouse seems to be the most expensive but so far the consences is that its the quietest. Yea, I know it sounds like thats self defeating but I would love to have my Nomad sound like the old Harley motorcycle cops bike.

Everytime I go to a baseball game the law always has V-Twins (Harley) and I love that sound. Deep but docile..

Brad

bluetongue
07-24-2007, 05:48 AM
I hear Roadhouse are good pipes just a little rich for my pocket book.
I am used to the loadness of the V&H Baggers either that or my hearing is going away.

blowndodge
07-25-2007, 12:18 AM
Well I marbled it tonight and we'll see this weekend. It's supposed to be 90 this weekend in Southern Cal so we'll see if it does anything. Yea Roadhouse are pricey but their quality is really something to see. That plus I've heard Baggers and the Cobra SD are pretty loud for some.

I thought about drilling mine our but I'd hate for CA to start inspection on exhaust and have to buy a new stock replacement!!

Brad

okienomad
07-29-2007, 08:27 AM
I thought about drilling mine our but I'd hate for CA to start inspection on exhaust and have to buy a new stock replacement!!

Brad

Wanting a bit more noise than stock, I drilled out my 2006 Nomad with hardly noticable results. (drilled out 2 baffle partitions in each and it takes me all the way up to the goat belly). Anyway, still undecided on pipes, I think my next move will be to either gut out or eliminate the goat belly. I am sure the drilled out baffles partitions will be more evident once the goat belly restriction is gone.

blowndodge
07-30-2007, 08:09 PM
Well, I rode it last weekend and I don't see much difference.. The TPS adjustment I've done and you can eliminate most of the ping but your mileage sucks. I was getting 25mpg. Thought maybe the marbel might divert some of the air back to the intake and make a difference somehow? Not really a difference.

07-30-2007, 10:38 PM
My '99 carbed runs better on 87...... on 91 it cranks a few times before starting. Didn't understand the whole octane thing until recently..... as far as lower octane being more combustable... makes sense now......

btw.......... GH........ saving my 100th post for something really meaninful!!!!

blowndodge
07-30-2007, 11:46 PM
Well Steve, I'm kinda sure I'll be getting some Road House pipes and a thunder kit and TFI somewhere down the line. Would like the extra pop I've heard that'll give me plus the extra cooling and pinging elimination I'm looking for.

Nico, are you trying to tell me my thread is not "meaningful"????? LOL

07-31-2007, 12:49 AM
Brad...... yours all have special meaning to me! <weg>

blowndodge
07-31-2007, 02:11 PM
Whew! I was feeling purty low for a second! I put so much into my posts I almost cry when I hit the "post reply" button!

07-31-2007, 06:16 PM
http://s2.images.proboards.com/cool.gif

bluetongue
07-31-2007, 07:50 PM
I too am going to install a tfi box and open up the air intake in the future, but right now I am happy

07-31-2007, 10:32 PM
I'd been hearing a lot about Sea Foam lately...... never heard of it before..... I had been getting consistantly 33 mpg....... mix of around town, freeway, twistys, solo, 2 up...... put a few ounces of the stuff in 2 tanks ago.... checked mileage.... 33.

Next tank ran 87 octane and checked mileage....... 36 mpg. I know it's only one tank... too soon to judge..... but first time I ever got that good.... coincidence?

blowndodge
08-01-2007, 12:37 AM
I've ran Seafoam for a couple of tanks. The jury is still out. I guess it cleans up the "innards" but who knows. One think I did notice is that the butterfly valves on my FI seem to get dirty very quickly and I spray Seafoam on them and use a tooth brush on them to clean them.

Want to see a major smoke bomb? Pull a sparkplug from the front and back and pour some Seafoam directly into the combustion chamber and then let it sit for an hour and of course with your plugs back in, start it up! I totally covered my house in smoke. It was a rust orange color! Smoked like hell for about a mile then stopped. Did it clean the inside? Who knows but it sure smoked like something else!!

I'm starting to have my doubts about premium causing a dirty condition in the combustion chamber. So many high performance cars run premium and they don't have a problem with hard starting and combustion build up! JMO.

08-01-2007, 12:54 AM
Yeh... could just be a coincidence on the mileage, but I'll stick with it and see... with my luck if I pour some directly in the chamber I'll blow it up... lol I'm gonna play with the octane thing a little more, but I can swear it starts quicker on 87...... I suppose brands come into play as well... I usually fill up at Arco, but that last tank I got 36 mpg on, I had filled up at Shell! Who knows?