PDA

View Full Version : Death Valley from Oregon in October?

schoeney
10-20-2008, 12:14 AM
Well I know this thread is probably better suited for the travel/trip forum BUT I was hoping to get lots of input quickly so I am posting here.

Some buddies and I are thinking about making a quick trip from Portland, Oregon to Death Valley this coming week. (October
24-28).

We are wondering what route we should take given the weather conditions this time of year. I prefer to avoid 1-5 (boring) but others prefer it for this trip (at least from Portland to the Chico,CA area). In addition we are wondering if Lone Pine to Beatty is a good route to get the "Death Valley experience", then head back up toward Reno. Once we get to Reno on the way back "up" we are fine.

On th east side of the mountains it is a heck of alot colder (worry about frost?)in the daylight morning hours...but it gets more sun(vs. rain).

I would appreciate input from anyone that might be familiar with this trip or parts of it. We only have the 5 days to do it so time is somewhat of a factor. It appears to be approximately 1900 miles round trip.

Thanks

rksaw
10-20-2008, 12:46 AM
Hwy 101 and US 1 are nice but much slower. The advantage is that you will miss the Syskiyous which shouldn't be a problem this early in the season, but you never know...I'll check out the forcast tonight...news is on in 15 minutes.
Rich

rksaw
10-20-2008, 01:16 AM
Siskiyou Pass should be fine, but Medford weatherman was talking about it getting much colder through the week...especially East of the Cascades (K-falls area, etc.). Here is Medford's 7 day forcast.
Rich

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f252/rksaw/medford7day.jpg

cactusjack
10-20-2008, 09:54 AM
If you're up around Reno, remember Donner Pass can be a problem if it snows. I think you'll be okay, but this time of year you never know.

redeye
10-20-2008, 12:27 PM
No snow predicted for the sierras for the next week.

dantama
10-21-2008, 11:42 AM
I don't know the area, so can't help you there. Around here, we're in that time of year where you could get anything. It was in the upper 70's for last weekend, 65 today, but will have 44 for a high tomorrow.

rksaw
10-21-2008, 05:41 PM
Also, and I'm sure that you know this Greg but put it out for everyone else's benefit, anytime you're traveling through Oregon, check out the following site:

www.tripcheck.com (http://www.tripcheck.com)

Rich

vulcanero03
10-21-2008, 10:33 PM
Well I know this thread is probably better suited for the travel/trip forum BUT I was hoping to get lots of input quickly so I am posting here.

Some buddies and I are thinking about making a quick trip from Portland, Oregon to Death Valley this coming week. (October
24-28).

We are wondering what route we should take given the weather conditions this time of year. I prefer to avoid 1-5 (boring) but others prefer it for this trip (at least from Portland to the Chico,CA area). In addition we are wondering if Lone Pine to Beatty is a good route to get the "Death Valley experience", then head back up toward Reno. Once we get to Reno on the way back "up" we are fine.

On th east side of the mountains it is a heck of alot colder (worry about frost?)in the daylight morning hours...but it gets more sun(vs. rain).

I would appreciate input from anyone that might be familiar with this trip or parts of it. We only have the 5 days to do it so time is somewhat of a factor. It appears to be approximately 1900 miles round trip.

Thanks

I think you will be ok to come down 5 fwy to sacramento, then head down to yosemite, weather seems to be ok for now, take the west entrance from visalia and exit on the east, tioga pass, that will put you at lee vinning, north of the road to death valley, where do you plan to stay? some guys in orange county have been talking about taking a trip there as well.

schoeney
10-21-2008, 11:20 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the input.

I am not sure where we are staying....this is one of those trips that was planned by someone else. Their style is to get on your bike and ride and when you feel done for the day pray for a good clean cheap motel nearby.

This is not my comfort zone but I don't want to be the nagging rat in the pack so I will do what the group wants to do.

rksaw
10-22-2008, 02:09 AM
...this is one of those trips that was planned by someone else. Their style is to get on your bike and ride and when you feel done for the day pray for a good clean cheap motel nearby.

This is not my comfort zone but I don't want to be the nagging rat in the pack so I will do what the group wants to do.

Isn't it fun to get stretched out of your comfort zone? ::) Just kidding. Have fun and be spontaneous. http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

rlfaubion
10-22-2008, 09:09 AM
If you're not going to nag some I doubt you'll have much input as to which route you take. Personally, I wouldn't waste my day on I-5. At least in California. Take 395 or even 95 through Nevada is more interesting. Weather's look'n good for any way you do it. You could end up on 99 south to Delano and turn east on 155 to Lake Isabella. 155 is a good MC route. Have a safe trip...