PDA

View Full Version : 1700 Nomad Discussion........

trip
10-06-2008, 01:48 PM
This board was created under the KawaNOW Garage to give 1700 owners a place to discuss mechanical issues with the 1700 Nomad and Voyager.

Trip

dogdoc
10-06-2008, 01:56 PM
Wow, that leaves me out. Who will be the guinea pig?? :-)

watchman
10-06-2008, 03:37 PM
I plan on buying a 1700 Nomad as soon as it comes out depending on colors and price. I have a fairing on my 1600 so I will just transfer it to the new Nomad. If, I say if, I don't like the colors and price I will buy a hold over 08.

audiogooroo
10-06-2008, 06:42 PM
I'll be watching to see your reports on the 1700. :)

skimo
10-06-2008, 07:56 PM
good ideal

cheech
10-06-2008, 09:29 PM
I already like the idea of a six speed transmission and a bit more torque is always nice.

Netnorske
10-06-2008, 09:38 PM
I'd trade the 6-speed for the cruise control....!!

Idaho
10-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Trip, you shrewd dawg. Cornered the market already and they are not even on the street. So, what stock should I buy?

chainsaw
10-06-2008, 10:37 PM
Welcome cheech from the Great State of Texas

pirate
10-06-2008, 11:04 PM
I'm eager to hear of the first report from a new 1700 owner!

cactusjack
10-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Cheech, welcome to the Nomad Nation from the Grand Canyon State!

coldfingers
10-07-2008, 02:58 PM
Us 1600 owners can come here and drool over the 1700s that the rest of you guys and gals have. Nice addition!!

audiogooroo
10-07-2008, 05:59 PM
It really says something looking at how many relpies and views this thread has already...and no one here even owns a 1700 yet! :)

trip
10-07-2008, 07:24 PM
Trip, you shrewd dawg. Cornered the market already and they are not even on the street. So, what stock should I buy?

Well Bud, the way the stock market has been lately, I'd buy all I could at a fire sale. The only thing it can do is go up...LOL.

Just trying to stay ahead of things with this board and thread. I'm sure that within a couple of months, we'll have a 2009 Nomad or Voyager owner make their way in.

I know some of you will be shocked by me saying this and I don't mean to sound negative....but I'm not too keen on belt drives. That's the only thing about the 2009 Nomad and Voyager that bothers me. It kind of shocked me that Kawasaki went to the belt drive.

It bothers me so much in fact, that I'm probably going to change my long-range planning. I probably won't buy a 1700 Nomad in the future, unless I can be shown that the belt drives don't cost an arm and a leg when they snap from a wayward stone or rock and that aligning the back wheel and keeping the belt tawt is not as bad of a deal as it is on the 2000. I realize that the new belts are made of a material that has a longer life, but after owning a bike with a chain, I vowed I'd never own another chain or belt drive bike again. If you don't keep your back wheel aligned right after adjusting your belt, you'll eat your back tire up in half the time.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be keeping my 2005 Nomad.....but when I'm ready to add to my stable.....I'll probably be looking at buying a Honda Valk.

I say this not to influence how anyone feels about the new Nomad or Voyager. I'm just stating how I feel. I'm hoping that once a new 2009 Nomad owner comes in here that they can change my mind.

cactusjack
10-07-2008, 07:48 PM
...every party has a pooper that's why we invited you....

I'm kidding, but you do bring up a very important consideration. I'd like to hear Kawasaki's engineers defend the move away from the shaft drive. Was that what people asked for? Is it cheaper? Lighter? More efficient? Just explain why.

audiogooroo
10-07-2008, 08:24 PM
...every party has a pooper that's why we invited you....

I'm kidding, but you do bring up a very important consideration. I'd like to hear Kawasaki's engineers defend the move away from the shaft drive. Was that what people asked for? Is it cheaper? Lighter? More efficient? Just explain why.
Me too Scott. When I was shopping for a bike before I bought my Nomad, shaft drive was one of the things I was looking for. I, too have had both and I'm wondering what made MaKaw change to belt.
But I'll listen to anyone's argument as to why the new belts are better. Convince me! :)

10-07-2008, 09:26 PM
More Harleyesque?

audiogooroo
10-07-2008, 10:16 PM
More Harleyesque?
Uh...think you're gonna have to do better than that man. :)

Although that may be the reason Kaw chose to change it.

blowndodge
10-08-2008, 12:00 AM
I thought the 1700 Nomad had a shaft drive and the voyager had the belt?

trip
10-08-2008, 06:20 AM
They both have a belt, BD. Quoted from the 2009 Nomad Details and Features kawa site:

- 28mm carbon fiber final drive belt has a 40 percent higher tensile strength than current Kevlar units nearly twice its width and allows the Vulcan 1700 to use a slim belt only 2mm wider than that on the Vulcan 900
- The drive belt is quiet and efficient and helps reduce maintenance chores

So, if a new 1700 Nomad owner comes in here and quotes from the manual that the belt doesn't have to be replaced but say....once in the life of the bike......then that would be a positive. But you still have the adjustment issue and the rock issue. Also, I'm not persuaded that the belt helps reduce maintenance chores.

I love everything else about the Nomad and Voyager tho.....6th gear (how many times have I prayed for that!). And the Voyager is exactly what we've been salivating and wishing for since the inception of KawaNOW. A Nomad with fairing, electronics and trunk.

In retrospect, I wonder why Kawa decided on a 1700? Why not go to an 1800 with shaft drive?

Idaho
10-08-2008, 07:02 AM
I too am dissappointed at the belt drive. Guess that I will just have to keep the 07 'till I can't fix it anymore. Ugh.

chainsaw
10-08-2008, 05:45 PM
Had a Harley with belt drive. Never had any problems with it, but they did recommend you change it every 8,000 miles.

trip
10-09-2008, 06:32 AM
Chainsaw, how much did it cost to change the belt out?

blowndodge
10-09-2008, 12:29 PM
Scott: a belt drive eats up less parasitic driveline losses than a shaft drive due to the fact that of no 90 degrees change in rotation occurrs with a belt. It's a straight shot to the back wheel. Guesstimations are about 10% loss in power with a shaft drive over a belt. If a belt was just as reliable as a shaft I'd take it.

Shaft drives chance direction of rotation 3 to 4 times depending on design.

shaft drives also, by design, ride a little rougher due to the face the the jack shaft tries to push the wheel downward thereby pulling the shocks apart. This makes the back end more "rigid" under acceleration.

the opposite occurrs when you back out out of the throttle. It tends to push the wheel up thereby compressing the shock and this again makes the back of the bike ride more rigid.

You can feel the phenominom by going down the street and rolling the throttle on and off in low gear full throttle. Roll on and the back of the bike rises. Roll off and the back of the bike squats.

Chain and belt designs have minimal effect of this because the chain or belt rides parallel to the swingarm. Remember the shaft drive is the swing arm on our bikes.

cactusjack
10-09-2008, 12:38 PM
I am just curious why Kawasaki switched from shaft to belt. I don't care one way or the other, that's low on my list of priorities when considering a bike.

blowndodge
10-09-2008, 01:53 PM
If their "new belt" is just as reliable then COST is the factor........ why else?

cactusjack
10-09-2008, 02:23 PM
If their "new belt" is just as reliable then COST is the factor........ why else?

Well, "just as reliable" is a loaded term. The shaft drive requires little maintenance. I'd guess the typical shaft drive never wears out. You could buy a drum of gear oil for the price of a belt, I'm guessing. I'm sure production cost is lower, but owner maintenance costs will be higher. How much higher remains to be seen.

redjay
10-09-2008, 03:44 PM
It has to be cheaper when you consider all the parts in the shaft drive. Also probably why they went with a V twin and not a multi cyclinder for the renewed Voyager. Personally, an 08 Nomad with a 4 cylinder engine would be ideal for me. I am not completely sold on the V twin concept but love the long distance comfort aspect of the Nomad.

trip
10-09-2008, 05:22 PM
I really don't know how the Harley owners do it.........Chainsaw said that the belt on the HD had to be replaced every 8,000 miles. If it costs...say....$400 to replace the belt yourself (and I'm figuring low), and you stretched that to every 10,000 miles, that's $4,000 dollars spent during a 100,000 mile usage. In addition, you have to go to the trouble to adjust the belt as it stretches.

So, with those numbers in mind.....if the Kawa belt has 40% more life, we might expect to get maybe 15,000 out of a belt (loose figuring, but figuring high). Since the belt is made out of a more durable material and a little wider in size, I would think it would be more expensive.....Let's say $500.

Crunch the new numbers.........you might be looking at $3,333.33 cost for belts over a 100,000 mile usage for the new Kawa. Plus the trouble of adjustments.

Also, keep in mind, if your back wheel is not aligned correctly while you adjust the belt, you'll eat your tire up prematurely.

skimo
10-09-2008, 09:09 PM
The shaft drives also, by design, ride a little rougher due to the face the the jack shaft tries to push the wheel downward thereby pulling the shocks apart. This makes the back end more
the opposite occurrs when you back out out of the throttle. It tends to push the wheel up thereby compressing the shock and this again makes the back of the bike ride more rigid.

You can feel the phenomenon by going down the street and rolling the throttle on and off in low gear full throttle. Roll on and the back of the bike rises. Roll off and the back of the bike squats.

Chain and belt designs have minimal effect of this because the chain or belt rides parallel to the swingarm. Remember the shaft drive is the swing arm on our bikes.

Well this is a better explanation than what I thought was just driveline lash. This is the first shaft driven bike I've owned and it has a different feel than a chain or belt driven bike. Not bad just different.

Let's face it, it's cheaper to produce a belt drive over shaft, therefore more profitable for MaKaw.

Up side is more hp at rear wheel and less weight for better performance, but we want know that until someone here gets to twist the throttle.

Downside is it's going to cost for that performance via belt and tire wear.

formikec
10-09-2008, 11:00 PM
Don't forget it is a special carbon fiber belt design. I doubt it will be a cheap replacement. I'll stick with my gear oil as long as I can. If I bought a Voyager, assuming the economy doesn't tank all the way into a depression, then it would likely be in addition to my '02 Nad. The Nad for daily riding, the Voyager for long trips.

chainsaw
10-09-2008, 11:02 PM
To tell you the truth Trip I don't think I had the bike long enough to replace the belt. So don't have any idea of the cost. Just remember reading that in the owners manual. Always read mine front to back. I wanted shaft drive. No muss, no fuss.

dui546
10-10-2008, 11:44 AM
I have been extremely busy with life so I have not been logged on the forum in a while. I see there are some changes.

I just looked at the 2009 Nomad and the Voyager. I must say that the Voyager is pretty impressive but I wonder what the overall increase in cost will be. I was not impressed with the '09 Nomad. I would not have purchased that motorcycle when I was shopping in 2007. I am very happy with my Nomad and believe (with my installed after market accessories) it is exactly what I wanted in my motorcycle.

I can see Kawasaki's reasoning for offering a motorcycle with a full fairing and a trunk because a lot of our members have spent a significant amount of money to obtain and install both of these items. I agree with Trip and everyone else who had commented on the drive belt issues. I'd also like to hear Kawasaki's reasoning behind the change.

Referencing the shorter wheel base...I was surprised to learn that the new Nomad has a shorter wheel base. I thought the longer wheel base was a contributing factor to a more comfortable ride. Do you think that the new Nomad was scaled back to create a riding difference between it and the Voyager?

I don't know about y'all but I am feeling a serious pinch in my finances. I doubt they will be selling a lot of those 2009s if the economy continues to eat up people's paychecks.

rhunt4
10-10-2008, 07:05 PM
the shaft drive is the reason I bought the nomad in the first place. I know I wont be going back to belt drive

glwilson
10-10-2008, 09:06 PM
Now there you guys go... ruining my expectations for the Voyager. Here I was... all excited about it and then you guys had to start ripping into it regarding the belt-drive.

Shaft-drive was one of the reasons for my Nomad; but I really wanted to get the Voyager -- now after reading these comments I wonder if I still do.

Signed... confused at this point.

ridemslow
10-10-2008, 09:37 PM
Personally I don't like belt drive either. That and the side loading bags on my 1600 have me spoiled. I do, however like the idea of an electronic cruise control. I'll stick to my shaft drive till I retire or die, whichever comes first.

cheech
10-11-2008, 06:31 AM
Thanks for the welcomes, I joined last year and totally couldn't remember any info to get me back on after my hard drive committed suicide.

cheech
10-11-2008, 08:44 AM
Like others, one of the reasons I bought my 07 Nomad was because of the shaft drive, my last bike was an 82 Kaw Spectre with shaft drive that I put 69,000 miles on and never had a bit of problems from the shaft drive. I never owned a bike with belt drive, so I really can't comment on it.

bobzinger
10-13-2008, 10:03 AM
Most of my friends with belt drive got well over 60,000 miles on it, and it was replaced precautionary, not because it failed. They replaced the belt themselves for around $150. Belt drive has a great track record.

01nomad
10-13-2008, 10:56 AM
I think they built the bike for me. I don't want another shaft drive, the only thing I didn't like about my '01. I never had any problems with a belt drive, and to do maintenance every 15000 miles on a shaft isn't my cup-o-tea. NOW, as long as the engine don't sound like a bunch of parts floating around, I'm sold on the 1700 and waiting to get on one.

trevwales
10-13-2008, 03:36 PM
According to Kawasaki website the cruise control is standard on Voyager and Nomad 1700. UK site shows the gear ratios now too.
6th is definitely overdrive!

http://www.kawasaki.co.uk/product.asp?Id=340E7D25EE0&Sub=4

schoeney
10-13-2008, 04:04 PM
My Clymer manual for my 2003 says change final drive oil at 24,000 miles. That is it? Pretty minimal requirement to me.

I have a buddy with a Stratoliner with a belt and he has issues when riding on newer roads with tar rocks flipping up into his belt.

formikec
10-13-2008, 09:38 PM
I sure would like that overdrive. The cruise would be okay on long interstate trips or flat roads, but other than that, I'm not sure it would be that useful.

finky
10-14-2008, 12:47 AM
I have 2 mates over here with belt drives on their V2K's and both have been replaced due to stone damage after around 8,000 mile not a good sign in my book I will stick to the shaft for now.

bobzinger
10-14-2008, 06:10 PM
According to these guys the warranty for the Voyager is 36 months- Extended 5 year available (Updated from Kawasaki's website in which 1 year was incorrect)

http://www.amervoyassoc.org/voyager_1700_info.htm

cactusjack
10-14-2008, 07:09 PM
Great article, Bob. Thanks for the link.

dogdoc
10-15-2008, 02:01 PM
You going to buy a used Valk since they dont make em no more Trip? I looked at them the last yr they came out and started to buy a black one which was the last one the dealer had, but I chickened out and got the Nomad.

misunderstood
10-15-2008, 02:37 PM
You going to buy a used Valk since they dont make em no more Trip? I looked at them the last yr they came out and started to buy a black one which was the last one the dealer had, but I chickened out and got the Nomad.

Love those Valk Interstates http://s2.images.proboards.com/cool.gif

rksaw
10-15-2008, 05:12 PM

Until I got this bike, I had always "riden Red"...and maybe I'm biased, but I think you made the right choice Doc.
Rich

ponch
10-15-2008, 07:47 PM
No, you probably should grease the drive shaft as well at that mileage. It's a lot more work.

My Clymer manual for my 2003 says change final drive oil at 24,000 miles. That is it? Pretty minimal requirement to me.

I have a buddy with a Stratoliner with a belt and he has issues when riding on newer roads with tar rocks flipping up into his belt.

ponch
10-15-2008, 07:50 PM
I would think 25K miles is more like it.

I really don't know how the Harley owners do it.........Chainsaw said that the belt on the HD had to be replaced every 8,000 miles. If it costs...say....$400 to replace the belt yourself (and I'm figuring low), and you stretched that to every 10,000 miles, that's $4,000 dollars spent during a 100,000 mile usage. In addition, you have to go to the trouble to adjust the belt as it stretches.

So, with those numbers in mind.....if the Kawa belt has 40% more life, we might expect to get maybe 15,000 out of a belt (loose figuring, but figuring high). Since the belt is made out of a more durable material and a little wider in size, I would think it would be more expensive.....Let's say $500.

Crunch the new numbers.........you might be looking at $3,333.33 cost for belts over a 100,000 mile usage for the new Kawa. Plus the trouble of adjustments.

Also, keep in mind, if your back wheel is not aligned correctly while you adjust the belt, you'll eat your tire up prematurely.

VulcanE
10-16-2008, 12:00 AM
I noticed in Bob's link thet the Voyager is designed to run on 87 octane.

bobzinger
10-16-2008, 10:52 AM
Most of the guys I ride with have belt drive and only one guy replaced one under 60,000 miles. It cost him $165 and he changed it himself. In the 30,000 miles I had on my Roadking I never had to adjust the belt. The Belt wouldn't keep me from getting a 1700 Kawasaki.

glwilson
10-16-2008, 09:11 PM
Most of the guys I ride with have belt drive and only one guy replaced one under 60,000 miles. It cost him $165 and he changed it himself. In the 30,000 miles I had on my Roadking I never had to adjust the belt. The Belt wouldn't keep me from getting a 1700 Kawasaki.

Now, that's better to hear. You guys were starting to "bum-me-out" with all the "belt" talk. I asked a few HD riders lately about their belt-drive bikes and none of them ever heard of rock-damage; stretching; or some of the other "fears" mentioned here -- and most certainly none of them said they had to replace a belt at low mileage.

I cannot believe the engineers at Kawasaki would do something overly questionable on a bike -- especially a new model -- to which the firm has a lot of money dedicated to in putting it into production.

Just my opinion guys -- that's all.

dogdoc
10-17-2008, 12:32 PM
Belt has to last pretty long for them to give you 36 months unless it excludes the belt.

trip
10-17-2008, 12:52 PM

Thinking about getting one later on. Honda made them from 1996 to about 2005. If I can find an Interstate with low mileage, I'll probably get one.

trip
10-17-2008, 01:24 PM
The following is just my 2 cents worth.....please keep this in mind while reading this post. It's not my intention to scare anyone when I start talking about my lack of love for a belt.

I put an average of 12,000-15,000 miles a year on my bike. Most of that is on trips. I take a few local rides, but I mainly see the USA on my Nomad. I have found that having a shaft drive is better for me. To me, a shaft drive means less maintenance, less cost and more longevity. Ever wonder why BMW puts shaft drive on almost all of their bikes? Longevity, my friend.

In my opinion (and this is just my opinion), motorcycle manufacturers that go to belt drives are knuckling under to the Harley-esque fad. Also, in my opinion, going to a belt drive takes the expense away from the manufacturer and puts it on you, the consumer.

When I had my Honda Magna, it was chain driven. Had to replace the chain every 20,000 miles and replace the sprockets every other time. If you didn't replace it every 20,000, the chain would stretch to the point to where it would droop and eventually come off the sprocket. I'm not a chain fan when it comes to traveling, so therefore, I'm not a belt fan either.

I know a belt is a little different than a chain, but you still have to adjust it and it will have to be replaced. I just hope for everyone's sake that Kawasaki put a bullet-proof belt on the 2009's and that the belt adjustment mechanisms on the back wheel are more accurate. The Kawa VN2000 owners have been bitching about rocks in their belt for years. This may not apply on the 2009's. Maybe Kawa developed a better belt path cage, we'll have to see.

But, one thing is for sure, sooner or later, you're going to have to replace the belt. Something tells me that is not going to be a 165.00 dollar proposition on a 2009 Kawa. My bottle of Royal Purple final gear oil cost me about 12 dollars. I figure I'll have to buy a couple of bottles during the life of my Nomad. The manual says to change out your final gear oil every 20,000 miles, but I change mine every 8,000 or so. It takes me all of 10 minutes to perform the change. The rest of the time, I'm on the road...worry free.

Now, I say all this just to give you my side and opinion of things. I, in no way, expect anyone to agree with me. We all develop our opinions on things based off of our experiences. So, if you plan on buying a 2009 Nomad, by all means go for it and enjoy it with my blessings.

blowndodge
10-17-2008, 03:34 PM
Trip, I think you don't trust the longevity of a belt strickly because you've busted several belts holding up your jeans after a big meal http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

trip
10-17-2008, 03:37 PM
You've been talking to my wife..................don't do that.... http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

blowndodge
10-17-2008, 03:42 PM
I don't want to be rude and ignore her when she shows up at my door!!!! http://s2.images.proboards.com/shocked.gif http://s2.images.proboards.com/shocked.gif

trip
10-17-2008, 04:45 PM
http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

MarkG
10-17-2008, 07:08 PM
When I was on vacation; time after time riders commented how lucky I was to have shaft drive. A good many of them had a list of bikes that they had owned that was quite extensive. The other envious comment was that the Nomad had a water cooled engine instead of being air cooled. The motorcycle show will be here in another couple of weeks. I'll ask the factory mechanics for details, prices, etc. After all, inquiring minds want to know!

glwilson
10-17-2008, 09:42 PM
Ah Trip... there it goes... I am back to being "bummed-out'' again. I really liked the overall features of the Voyager and would like to think it would be my next bike; but now I have to reconsider the belt-drive issues/concerns/reliability issues.

As information becomes more clear as to what the belt-drive "facts" are with the '09's; please let me know as my wife and I are not "wrench-worthy" and depend on reliability given the long-distant rides we prefer to do. In fact; the reliability of a shaft-drive was one of the major reasons I preferred the Nomad over several choices we had for our bike purchase.

Anyway; I will keep ck'g back here to see if anyone has info that would dispute previous expereinces with belt-drives.

Appreciate everyone's insight and thoughts.

Greg

trip
10-18-2008, 08:30 AM
Well, I'm certainly not trying to bum you out Greg......but I feel it's something that really needs consideration when buying a bike.

IMHO, if you're buying a bike to ride around town and in parades, having a chain, belt or shaft is no problem. But, if your buying a bike to travel with, then a shaft drive is the most dependable......IMHO.

I did the research before I bought my Nomad. I spent several months reading specs, looking at reports and comparing makes of bikes. I had a short list made up of what my next bike had to have:

- Liquid-cooled
- Shaft drive
- Windshield
- Hard bags
- Mucho accessories available

Culled the list down to two bikes.....Kawa Nomad and the Honda Goldwing.

I finally ended up with the Nomad for two reasons......It had a very good reputation as a road bike and the Goldwing had experienced some mechanical problems, frame breakage, etc.

blowndodge
10-18-2008, 11:17 AM
Greg, that New Kawasaki with the belt drive shouldn't give you the least cause for concern. Do you change your own tires? Probably not. You, like most, take your bike in for new rubber. Every third or 4th tire have your belt replaced if it makes you feel better about it. Don't make that shafts almost last forever and belts don't disuade you from the Voyager.

You shouldn't even be thinking about your belt as your motoring down the highway. Chances are you will have more flats than broken belts. I worry about getting a flat on a long trip the most! The thought of a belt breaking would be the furthest from my mind.

In fact I don't know of a belt driven biking friend of mine that's broken a belt.

glwilson
10-18-2008, 12:29 PM
Thanks guys for the insight and viewpoints. I'll just have to wait until a dealer gets one in and see then if I am "drawn" toward the purchase or not.

dantama
10-19-2008, 12:13 PM
Because I do hundreds of miles of dirt/gravel roads, sounds like a belt might not be an improvement for me. :(

Chances are I'll be keeping my Nomad till the extended warranty runs out in 2013 anyway.

rksaw
10-19-2008, 11:26 PM
In fact I don't know of a belt driven biking friend of mine that's broken a belt.

Greg,
I only know of one acquaintance who ever lost a belt, and it's because he was being stubborn even when a tear had been pointed out to him by multiple people over the period of a week or two. He wanted to keep riding as opposed to taking care of his responsibility. http://s2.images.proboards.com/angry.gif:(" title=">:(" border="0"/> The belt went out in my driveway...much better than going out on the road.

I wouldn't be worried about the belt...my major concern would be the economy, but you've got a good handle on that.
Rich

MarkG
10-20-2008, 02:29 PM
Found a youtube video of the Voyager. 2009 Voyager (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJXO5Uzo89E)

trevwales
10-20-2008, 03:38 PM
BMW has shaft drive on most of their larger bikes, but all the new models have been belt drive. They have a reputation for reliability to uphold so I don't think they would use a belt drive if they thought it would be causing problems. Most of the models are "off-road" types too.

Having said that, none of the top range have belt drives... yet.

Trev

glwilson
10-20-2008, 08:36 PM
I have been "googling" about belt-drives and have found all kinds of opinions about them. What I have found very little about is "shaft-drives".

I was fortunate when I was looking for my bike because "price" was not a factor. I was going to buy a new bike and looked all all the brands before coming up with my choice -- the Nomad.

The final decison was based on: shaft-driven; fuel-injected; counter-balanced engine; water-cooled; and the "bags".

(Ultimately I bought a used '04 from a medical chopper pilot who had to sell because of his wife. Had only 1,200 miles on it in '06 when I bought it. Paid only $7,800 for it -- couldn't pass it up -- pristine condition -- and cancelled the new '06 Nomad from the dealer.)

Now; I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed when I heard the new Nomad/Voyager was belt-driven -- but thought that since "they" claim it is of "new" material that maybe it may be okay.

Again... we'll just have to wait and see.

dhomoney
10-21-2008, 12:05 AM
Belt does deliver more power and torque to the wheel then a shaft does. Some like belt better because of lash from shaft drive, but since I have only had a belt I can't say that for sure. I had no issues with the belt drive on the 900. It fed power to the wheel very smoothly.

coldfingers
10-21-2008, 10:04 AM
I don't know anything about belts but I ran into a guy at a honda dealer who had a mean streak and a harley and he had mentioned while we were talking that he had been on a road that they were overlaying blacktop on and had gotten a piece of blacktop between his belt and pulley and ended up having to buy a new belt. He wasn't impressed after that. He talked more about the mean streak than the harley, Ha!

moenko
10-27-2008, 07:02 PM
Interesting reading. I didn't know that a belt would deliver more HP/torque to the rear wheel than a drive shaft but it does make sense. Now I'm thinking, 150 add'l cubic centimeters plus a belt that delivers the add'l power more efficiently to the rear wheel --- that ought to make for some noticable increase in ooompf !

radco
10-28-2008, 06:04 PM
Carsten, Every time you add a universal in you get a loss in power transfer.. and the shaft weight is also a factor... Just like on a car,, 200HP @ the Motor is like 180hp at the wheel.. or something like that,, around 10/15% loos of power transferr I think.I read it awhile ago so I may be way off.and for those that know me always say Im off LOL..............Rich

moenko
10-29-2008, 05:27 AM
Well, who will be the first pulling the trigger (and WHEN will they finally be at the dealers with a sticker price on them???)

dogdoc
10-29-2008, 05:25 PM
My old 84 Honda V-45 magna was shaft drive way back then when it was not common. I have never owned a chain/belt bike. So it would take a lot for me to switch, but I might.

coacha
10-30-2008, 09:26 AM
Local dealer, according to him, already has 6 deposits ($500) on the new Voyager. They are saying that delivery will be in January or February here. Just what I have heard around these parts.

burkazoid
10-30-2008, 08:34 PM
Well, who will be the first pulling the trigger (and WHEN will they finally be at the dealers with a sticker price on them???)

Not I. I'm not an early adopter, and besides, I'm having way too much fun adding new stuff to my Nomad. In spite of owning one for almost three years, I've only just recently added the highway pegs. My Cobra lightbar is laying on the garage floor waiting to be installed, and I'm just about to order my Mustang Seat.

My Nomad has been paid for for about eighteen months, and I'm not looking to incur any new debt any time soon. I've got other things on which to spend the $20K a Voyager would undoubtedly cost.

Now, should things really turn out in my favor, at the very earliest I would look to buy a Voyager would be January of 2010. Hopefully, with the economy going down the crapper, the local stealer will have a 2009 Voyager still sitting on the floor and burning a hole in his pocket.

Still, I must confess my first instinct is to give my left nut for a Voyager, but thankfully common sense wins out.

dhomoney
10-31-2008, 10:00 AM
I thought about waiting to get the Nomad until I could get the 09, but I didn't since it would leave my wife out of riding till then. I would love a belt drive with cruise control. I'm not complaining though. I will not get another bike for 4 to 5 years now.

burkazoid
10-31-2008, 10:18 AM
I thought about waiting to get the Nomad until I could get the 09, but I didn't since it would leave my wife out of riding till then. I would love a belt drive with cruise control. I'm not complaining though. I will not get another bike for 4 to 5 years now.

Well, regardless of whether I get a Voyager or not, I'm keeping the 2005 Nomad I have. No way I could part with it without crying my eyes out. Hell, every time I walk past it in the garage I blow kisses at it. http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

lomax
10-31-2008, 11:51 PM
.....I'm thinking your not the only one who blows kisses at their "mistress" when they walk by. http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

cruiserv
11-03-2008, 05:11 PM
I had a Victory with a belt drive and found it to be a very tough and reliable system. Not sure why the skeptical outlook but each to their own. I would not let that stop me from getting one, and in fact, I AM considering turning over the 08 Nad to the wife and getting the Voyager.

jon
11-04-2008, 09:43 PM
I sold my Nomad and bought a used 2005 BMW K1200LT in order to move up in the "full Touring" class. I looked hard at the Gold Wing but could not get my 37" inseam used to the close fairing. The LT is pretty good for a tall rider once you get used to the sport-touring riding position. Although the BMW may be the finest motorcycle out there, I'm not satisfied because comfort is king with me.

At this point I'm waiting for the Voyager to come out and then it's between the Victory Vision and the 1700 Voyager. The Vision has outstanding comfort for tall riders with the only concerns being lack of dealers in my area and air cooled engine vs liquid cooled. The Voyager has everything I want in a full-touring bike and I'm waiting to see the comfort for us big riders.

My BMW dealer also sells Kawasaki so I may be able to work a deal in 2009 if all works out.

dank
11-06-2008, 07:48 AM
I'm surprised at how much discussion is covering the belt drive and how little mention is being made of the shift away from hydraulic valves. I consider that one of the 1600's best features. I hate the idea of going back to the maintenance time or cost of service for valve adjustments. I'm considering snagging one of the last new 08's just to keep that feature as long as possible.

dantama
11-06-2008, 12:05 PM
I'm surprised at how much discussion is covering the belt drive and how little mention is being made of the shift away from hydraulic valves. I consider that one of the 1600's best features. I hate the idea of going back to the maintenance time or cost of service for valve adjustments. I'm considering snagging one of the last new 08's just to keep that feature as long as possible.

+1

That was one of the features that led me to my first Nomad. I didn't know the new one didn't use them.

Here's a thought............We can start more than one thread here! How long are we going to put everything in 1 thread? http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

dank
11-06-2008, 04:17 PM
I haven't seen it in print, but that is what I was told. surprised me because the Kawasaki site says the new motor is based on the 2000, and it has hydraulic valves. Hopefully I was told wrong. Wish they would get the rest of the technical information up on their site, as well as the new price.

bobzinger
11-06-2008, 08:55 PM
According to this web page in it's "Additional or Newest Information Not Otherwise Mentioned" "Does have hydraulic valves- no valve adjustments required."

http://www.amervoyassoc.org/voyager_1700_info.htm

glwilson
11-10-2008, 07:06 PM
The following are excerpts of comments/reviews on the "web" about the Voyager.

The 6-speed transmission offers overdrive ratios in the top two gears. It uses a new 28mm wide (just over one-inch -- more narrow than what is required of other belt composite designs) carbon-fiber-based belt drive with 40% more strength than a Kevlar belt found on all the Nomad models.

The narrower belt is said to be more flexible and forgiving (smoothing out any driveline lash) than a shaft-drive when working with the high torque outputs of the big-bore cruiser.

Belt maintenence is not expected for nearly 30-plus-thousand miles -- and may last as long as 60,000 miles before needing replacement.

Belt drive also weighs less than a shaft-drive. (approx 4 lbs. less)

1969 Chevy Camero style analog gauges if you like that look -- some won't.

One guy popped open the rear trunk and commented that it was plastic and not fiberglass. Thin plastic.

The manufacturing quality of this bike can be summed up in one word - cheap.

Even though assembly workmanship looked good, chrome was very low quality and most likely would pit or dull in a short time.

The general quality of materials was low and had a very "made in China" look. The bike was never started -- so no comment on the engine.

The Voyager is a great looking bike and most likely would pass as a low cost alternative to a Harley or Goldwing.

glwilson
11-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Not entirely kind words... I'll just have to wait and see one myself... Maybe at the Chicago show.

blowndodge
11-10-2008, 11:37 PM
I've actually kissed the tank on my girl!!! I did because she told me she loves me!!! http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

cactusjack
11-11-2008, 12:40 AM
Speaking as one who has actually seen and touched a 2009 Voyager, I don't share these opinions. I didn't get the "made in China" vibe looking at one. I'd like to know where these comments came from - earlier model Voyager owners, maybe?

dantama
11-11-2008, 10:46 AM
Good point Cactus, I wonder what a group of Nomad owners would report on the new bike vs a group of the older Voyager?

cactusjack
11-11-2008, 12:24 PM
It's fairly well known that the "old" Voyager crowd doesn't hold the "new" Voyager in very high esteem. They're mad because it is a V-twin and don't consider it a true touring machine for that reason. There's a number of other things they aren't happy about. The comments mentioned a couple of posts back sound more like whiny, sour grapes than real objective observations.

burkazoid
11-11-2008, 02:25 PM
They're mad because it is a V-twin and don't consider it a true touring machine for that reason. There's a number of other things they aren't happy about.

Soooo...maybe I'm just dense, but what's the issue with it being a V-Twin? What are some of the other things? Can you give me a link to some of these comments?

cactusjack
11-11-2008, 03:56 PM
They're mad because it is a V-twin and don't consider it a true touring machine for that reason. There's a number of other things they aren't happy about.

Soooo...maybe I'm just dense, but what's the issue with it being a V-Twin? What are some of the other things? Can you give me a link to some of these comments?

I'll have to look, I read them on the Voyager forum. There were a bunch of posts regarding the new Voyager, mostly guys ranting about how the 09 can't be a real touring bike. To them, if it doesn't have 3 or more jugs, it's a cruiser.

Ah, here it is...the American Voyager Association. Below is the link to the 1700 Voyager section.

http://www.amervoyassoc.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=14&sid=7ea7a7f618b6ef933a7afddb7b38ba3d

dantama
11-11-2008, 07:44 PM
About 10 years ago I didn't get the V-twin thing either. I had V4's and had ridden inline 4's of family members. I was in a dealer talking about buying a bike and the sales guy was saying that he would never buy anything besides a V-twin.

I was shocked, I couldn't picture why somebody would want a bike with 50-60 hp when they could have 120 hp.

I considered a Valkyrie, but the look of the nomad talked to me. I had only test ridden an underpowered Honda Shadow 1100, but fell in love with the look and usefulness of the Nomad.

I'm not stuck with only wanting a V-twin, but I like the torque curve and really like it, but was baffled at one time how somebody could be passionate about a 50 something hp bike?

glwilson
11-11-2008, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the comments CJ since you have seen the new Voyager in person.

I was simply searching thru the web for comments about the belt-drive and ran across quite a few comments on various different blog sites that were not complimentary.

I realize no one really knows who these people are -- for that matter they could work for another bike company.

As mentioned before; I am very interested in the Voyager based on the 2-up - longer distance riding I do.

Fortunately for me this time around; price isn't really a factor thus I have ridden plenty of other bikes in my search -- however they do not "fit" or feel very comfortable to me. Being only 5'6" finding a "touring" bike for someone my size is difficult.

On another subject; an old acquaintance of mine (in the auto business) suggested that Kawasaki may be monitoring "web-posts"; comments at trade shows; and other sources to determine what the public's "price-resistence" is before finalizing their MSRP for the 1700's.

My guess is it will list around $18k -- we'll see.

cactusjack
11-11-2008, 10:14 PM
On another subject; an old acquaintance of mine (in the auto business) suggested that Kawasaki may be monitoring "web-posts"; comments at trade shows; and other sources to determine what the public's "price-resistence" is before finalizing their MSRP for the 1700's.

In that case...If they give the Voyager an MSRP above the $14,000 mark - then I'M NOT GOING TO BUY ONE! C'mon, who's with me???

paul
11-11-2008, 10:26 PM

In that case...If they give the Voyager an MSRP above the $14,000 mark - then I'M NOT GOING TO BUY ONE! C'mon, who's with me???

Then, By God, my top price is 13,900.00 on the Voyager and that's final. Maybe I'll just buy a Suzuki. (can't say it with a straight face http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif)

glwilson
11-11-2008, 10:29 PM
CJ;

I agree, which is what bothered me about the "reviews" I have read.

If the price is high -- the quality had better be very, very good -- down to the last detail.

If it lists much above what you said; then it would make it a difficult decision to buy one.

dantama
11-12-2008, 10:58 AM
I'm a careful buyer (code for cheap) :)

I'd have a hard time going from a $10,477 Nomad, to anything too much more. I'm not sure right now what too much more is, but $8,000 is certainly too much more.

I've got a set of balance scales in my mind that weight what I'm paying, with what I'm getting. So far the Nomad balances out very nicely. Not sure that a Voyager would.

When I bought my 99 Nomad I had the cash to buy a Road King; it didn't balance out and the difference sat in my bank acct for the next 7 years for peace of mind or a rainy day fund.

cactusjack
11-12-2008, 11:25 AM
Well sure, it is an individual decision based on needs vs wants and not everyone has the same level of discretionary income. To me, the fairing, trunk, sound system, cruise control and 6th gear is worth a few grand extra. To someone else, it may not be. Figure out how much it would cost to add these amenities on a Nomad, for example.

I'm confident the 1700 Nomad will remain the best value in big-displacement motorcycles. Likewise, I am sure the 1700 Voyager will be the best value in full dress touring bikes.

dantama
11-12-2008, 11:48 AM
Cactus, another part of it is what you need, but didn't know you needed.

I wanted hard bags because I wanted to go on long rides. Now that I have them, I couldn't live without them.

If I had a Voyager, I may similarly find that a fairing is something that I wouldn't want to live without.

fish
11-12-2008, 04:30 PM
very interesting! Since I like cruising the highways (without a lot of traffic) more and more because of the stability of the nomad, so before i spend 18,000 for a voyager I'll buy a goldwing. But I'll keep the nad because its beautiful. :)

glwilson
11-12-2008, 08:57 PM
CJ:

One of my comparisons for pricing was Yamaha's RS Venture which lists for $18k+

It seems to be a somewhat fair comparison to the Voyager 1700 -- if agreed, it seems logical Kawi will ask a price near that.

I do like my Nomad a lot. Much like Dan; I "stashed" the extra money I saved in the "savings-pile". Have enjoyed the bike immensely since.

Given the type of riding my wife and like to do; I will need to do mods on the Nomad -- or follow your plans on a trailer to haul the extra-stuff.

cactusjack
11-13-2008, 01:20 AM
I think Kawasaki is going to price the 1700's very aggressively. My personal thoughts are the Nomad will be around $14k and the Voyager will come in around $16k.

schoeney
11-13-2008, 11:45 AM
CJ - I was originally thinking 14 and 16 as well. I think the 15% loss in the value of the dollar (versus the yen) in the last year will be offset by the supply/demand issues the crappy economy is creating. So basically one will offset the other. They credit situation won't help sell them either.

I would be amazed if several of these new high overhead Harley dealers don't go broke. The building costs and inventory costs gotta be killing them. You may see Harley's 15-20% cheaper next year...you could make them 50% cheaper and I wouldn't buy one until they improve the reliabilty, lower maintenance + parts costs, and smooth out the vibration. They remind me of the stuff Detroit was pumping out in the 70's ....this is when Toyota and other Japanese cars started their climb to dominate the auto world. They sound and look nice but if you are planning on doing any riding they are not a good value compared to the rice burners.

I am looking forward to seeing the new Nad and Voyager next month in Seattle.

cactusjack
11-13-2008, 12:13 PM
CJ - I was originally thinking 14 and 16 as well. I think the 15% loss in the value of the dollar (versus the yen) in the last year will be offset by the supply/demand issues the crappy economy is creating. So basically one will offset the other. They credit situation won't help sell them either.

I would be amazed if several of these new high overhead Harley dealers don't go broke. The building costs and inventory costs gotta be killing them. You may see Harley's 15-20% cheaper next year...you could make them 50% cheaper and I wouldn't buy one until they improve the reliabilty, lower maintenance + parts costs, and smooth out the vibration. They remind me of the stuff Detroit was pumping out in the 70's ....this is when Toyota and other Japanese cars started their climb to dominate the auto world. They sound and look nice but if you are planning on doing any riding they are not a good value compared to the rice burners.

I am looking forward to seeing the new Nad and Voyager next month in Seattle.

I agree completely. I know the couple of HD dealerships I've been to here are like a Vegas casino compared to Japanese brand dealerships. One has a motorcycle memorabilia museum in it, complete with one of Evel Knievel's jumpsuits and one of his bikes. Probably a good 50% of a Harley dealer's floor space is dedicated to clothing. The overhead has got to be outrageous.

glwilson
11-13-2008, 06:17 PM
While I don't know for fact; I do have a suspicion that HD dealers make a lot of money on high-margin items such as the clothing; trinkets; and other "BS" crap bikers can't seem to be caught dead without -- thus enabling them to offset the overhead on their buildings.

(Oddly enough, I received an email today from HD advertising their "trinket" collection -- which stated one would receive a free "collectors-edition" of their "Heritage Collection" with a purchase of $350 or more.

The "Heritage Collection" looked like some sort of placard with an embossing of various year's "Heritage" model bikes. Rather ugly in my opinion; and would probably only look good when placed next to one's collection of "Franklin's Mint" "one-of-a-kind-collector" plates. Sorry for my sarcasm.)

In addition; I assume many of the HD bikes are being repaired and maintained by the dealerships to some degree -- which has to be somewhat of a money machine in itself (much like a car dealership's "garage" is their profit-center).

Just my guess -- however I would agree they have to be hurting to some degree with the economy as it is and about to be over the next year or so.

cactusjack
11-13-2008, 07:07 PM
I do know that none of the Harley riders I work with would turn a screw on their own bikes. They go to the dealer for everything.

novijoe
11-16-2008, 08:21 AM
The 2009's got me curious but after some consideration I just bought a new 2007 and I have to say I love it. Too many unknowns for me at this point. I have never owned a bike with belt drive and that was a thought but I was also thinking about aftermarket parts and if they would be available. I wouldn't want to ride another bike with stock pipes that's for sure! (no offense to our stock bro's here) I plan on having "Sadie" for years to come and many many miles. By then I will know the score on the 1700's and act accordingly.

paul
11-16-2008, 10:59 AM
We get to go see what it's all about here in Houston, next weekend. Starting to get that "kid before Christmas" feeling. Loooovvveee the ride I'm on , but...........From what we've seen so far the new bikes sure look tempting.

That Voyager has my full attention at this point. Oh, darn, wet my pants.

glwilson
11-16-2008, 08:30 PM
It was posted today on the "main-board" about a member's review after seeing the Voyager.

Some of his comments were what I have seen consistently on other blogs about it -- mostly about how thin, and flimsy the plastic bags and trunk are. Apparently the same "thin" plastic is used on the fairings as well.

I can only hope that people going to the shows are telling the reps about this -- and that the reps let Kawa know to make a change on this -- especially if it is as bad as many seem to think.

roadman
11-18-2008, 09:56 PM
My moto is "LET YOUR WALLET BE YOUR GUIDE" thats why i have the nomad......good value at a fair price. :)

glwilson
11-19-2008, 09:56 PM
roadman; you know I like long day, and overnight rides. A Voyager has a lot of appeal to me; but I cannot get over the comments so many are making about it "quality" (or lack-of) -- which are not entirely flattering.

Thus, my common sense will likely prevail and I will continue to ride the Nomad; as I am extremely happy with when everything is said and done. Afterall; with my luggage fastened to my rack; and the bags filled -- that is about all I'll get on the Voyager anyway.

Besides the Voyager doesn't come in black or white -- my two favorite colors.

roadman
11-20-2008, 01:47 PM
Well greg......i think it might be a good idea too have a wait and see attitude about the Voyger.It always seems like there is a few bugs to work out with a brand new model.I like the looks of the new Voyger and if the bike pans out, i just might get one myself.

dhomoney
12-02-2008, 03:19 PM
roadman; you know I like long day, and overnight rides. A Voyager has a lot of appeal to me; but I cannot get over the comments so many are making about it "quality" (or lack-of) -- which are not entirely flattering.

Thus, my common sense will likely prevail and I will continue to ride the Nomad; as I am extremely happy with when everything is said and done. Afterall; with my luggage fastened to my rack; and the bags filled -- that is about all I'll get on the Voyager anyway.

In all reality glwilson, for the price differential you could add all that stuff to your Nomad and it would be of better quality. About the only thing you can't get is ABS. Everything else is doable and has been done by people on this board.

cactusjack
12-02-2008, 11:57 PM

In all reality glwilson, for the price differential you could add all that stuff to your Nomad and it would be of better quality. About the only thing you can't get is ABS. Everything else is doable and has been done by people on this board.

ABS and the sixth gear.

cactusjack
12-03-2008, 10:09 AM
I was just over on the Delphi Vulcan Forum and read some interesting info about the 1700. Keep in mind this info is second, or now third-hand and may or may not be factual.

Kaw has received many, many comments about the redesigned saddlebags appearing "flimsy", and may be looking to somehow "stiffen" them. I don't know for sure how they would go about doing that, but it shows they are paying attention.

Someone pointed out that perhaps the bags are not "flimsy", but should be considered "flexible" and "durable". Like the side panels on a Saturn car or the front fender on a dirt bike. I thought that was an interesting perspective.

I would imagine Kawasaki is carefully gauging public reaction to the 09's at the International Bike Show as it moves from city to city. Here in Phoenix they had reps posted near the Voyagers and the Nomads I would hope they were paying attention to the comments being made.

It was also mentioned that pricing and availability still has not been announced and anybody offering pricing or availability info is simply guessing.

bobzinger
12-03-2008, 11:48 AM
I'm really curious about the motor. Will the 1700 motor be all that the 1600 isn't. Great power with reg gas, quieter, etc.
I think buy the time you add color matched fairings & trunk, cruise control, music, and a more powerful stock motor you could buy a Voyager, especially if you figure in your time to do all that work.

bosko
12-03-2008, 10:13 PM
I'm really curious about the motor. Will the 1700 motor be all that the 1600 isn't. Great power with reg gas, quieter, etc.
I think buy the time you add color matched fairings & trunk, cruise control, music, and a more powerful stock motor you could buy a Voyager, especially if you figure in your time to do all that work.

+1

I really like the look of the new engine. Can't wait to see it in person at the Edmonton motorcycle show, January 16-18.

They might even have a price by then. http://s2.images.proboards.com/tongue.gif

dhomoney
12-04-2008, 10:19 PM

ABS and the sixth gear.

Yeah and that is something that is of questionable appeal and necessity. The one thing I really like is belt drive.

blowndodge
12-07-2008, 11:49 AM
BD went to the Long Beach Convention Center yeasterday to see the new 1700 Voyager and the other bikes. Most of what you have already said is true.

It does feel smaller. When sitting on it the tank is more rectangular like an HD tank. I like the fairing, instrumentation, cruise control, sound system for sure.

I agree on the saddlebags and lowers. The lowers I could twist like a flimsy piece of plastic and the saddlebag design is like opening up a plastic Easter egg. You have to guess how high you can stack your shiit in the bottom to determine if you could lower the top down to close it! Bad design and I can't see how you could hold as much stuff in them.

BD on the Voyager

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb210/blowndodge/1700Voyager.jpg

bandit
12-07-2008, 09:06 PM
The belt drive is definitely cheaper! I have to admit the voyager is the cat's meow, with cruise, power outlets, frame mounted fairing, driving lights, trunk, WOW! IF it was shaft,I would be trying to order one. But I still am not comfortable with belts.

phenrichs
12-08-2008, 05:11 PM
Maybe we can swap the bags out with the GOOD Nomad bags that we have now. that would be an improvement.

glwilson
12-08-2008, 08:22 PM
BD went to the Long Beach Convention Center yeasterday to see the new 1700 Voyager and the other bikes. Most of what you have already said is true.

Appreciate your input BD. ;)

rksaw
12-09-2008, 02:33 AM
Maybe we can swap the bags out with the GOOD Nomad bags that we have now. that would be an improvement.

Just another way to get more $ from you!

sakirider
12-11-2008, 10:35 PM
1700 Voyager- $16799- $17899
1700 Nomad- $14399
1700 Classic- $12299
1700 Classic LT- $13799

schoeney
12-13-2008, 02:39 AM
Just got back from the Seattle show. I got to meet Netnorske (Kris).
What a great guy. I will let Kris post his own thoughts but I suspect we are close in our opinions on the Nomad.

They really replaced alot of metal with plastic. The chrome round piece (about 6" diameter) next to your foot as it sits on the gear shift. The sales rep told me it was now plastic to keep your feet cooler....yeah right.

The chrome trim strips that go between the bags and rear fender...now plastic....cheesy!

The grab rails for passenger appear to be two piece with the outside chrome piece now plastic.

I echo the same thoughts as most on the bags....very flimsy feel to them. Sales guy tried to say it was made out of the latest technology plastic...so it is very flexible but very durable. I don't see how that helps all the torque on the hinges?

The shape and look of the bags when closed was fine.

Loved the new style tailight!

Didn't get to ride it but 104# torque, 6 speed, and cruise control all welcome improvements.

Overall it was a nice bike but I felt like they cut corners on a handful of items that took the bike from being a great value and great quality to something that was 95% done right and 5% cheesy. Makes you wonder what corners they cut in the new engine.

I will defintely wait a couple years to see the bugs get worked out before plunking down any cash.

glwilson
12-13-2008, 04:14 PM
Trip has this dealer's link on the 2009 Rally Info page.

I ck'd out their pricing. They have at least one of the Voyagers listed at $15,517 -- around $1,000 less than MRSP

Ck their link out below.

http://smithbrothersoneonta.com/

bobzinger
12-20-2008, 08:04 PM
Just got back from the Intl' M/C show and spend while sitting on, looking under, picking up, and caressing the Voyager. Yes I loved it, and I don't see an issue with the saddle bag being flimsy. I guess compared to the current bags they appear that way but compared to every other Yamaha, Suzuki, Victory, yada, yada they're about the same. Once they're closed and latched they're solid, which is more than I can say for the Yamaha and Victory Kingpin. One disappointment was the MPG at 36. Why is it that other large cruisers get 5 to 10 better?
But I still wanna hear reports on handling and performance.

phenrichs
12-30-2008, 10:01 AM
Man it is so unfair. The closest MC show for me is in Minneapolis and not until Valentine's Day. That's in February for the folks that don't follow along.
That is too late. I hear all these things from all of you guys and I can't even see one yet. Man some of you will probably own one before I get to the show. I wouldn't be surprised if the local dealer had one by then.

rksaw
12-31-2008, 12:59 AM
Don't worry man, I missed the show in Seattle, but life goes on. You don't want to trade in your '06 until the bags and other bugs are fixed anyhow.

flightdoc
12-31-2008, 01:13 PM
From what I can gather the stereo system speakers are only in the front? Nothing for the passenger? Can you get heated grips and seat? GPS built in? Reverse?
I love my Nomad but the more I look at a wing the better it looks to me. Hell, I've added at least a thousand bucks worth of stuff to my Nad and some of you have tripled that amount. I think the voyager , at it's price, is a great buy. Nice looking too. As far as the belt drive goes those type of final drives has been around for many many years. I personally have never heard of one failing with the correct up keep and replacing the belt at the correct intervals.
Just my thoughts

vin

bobzinger
01-01-2009, 04:08 PM
+1

bobzinger
01-05-2009, 01:09 PM
Does the Voyager/Nomad have a Closed Loop or Open Loop fuel injection (O2 Sensor)?

rickmeister56
01-08-2009, 09:28 AM
one of my friends rides a 95 ultra glide classic with 107,000 miles and it has the original belt drive on it. there is very little maint required for a belt drive.

bobzinger
01-16-2009, 10:57 AM
Just keepin the thread alive!

Has anyone heard of an actual ride report yet?

fish
01-18-2009, 10:02 PM
back from the NY motorcycle show,
If had to to pick between the voyager, nomad and 1700 LT I think I'd go with the 1700LT
I think the frames are the same but the LT felt like it had more leg room and I'd rather have the soft bags then those cheapass hard bags

gv550
01-28-2009, 08:14 AM
I just read on that "other" forum that there will be no Voyagers to test ride at Daytona bike week, bummer!

Garry

bruce
02-27-2009, 11:29 PM
I didn't make it to the Kaw dealer show this year, so I missed seeing the new bikes there. So when some free tickets came in for the IMS show in Greenville, SC I decided that would be a good opportunity to eyeball them.

Earlier I went into a long diatribe about the new Voyager and deleted it because I felt it was more than most would want to read in this thread. Suffice it now to say that I am really disappointed with the bike and Kawasaki, and hope that the bikes I saw were poorly done pre-production prototypes and not what we're going to see on the showroom floor.

When rumors started floating around a few years ago that the factory was looking into re-releasing a Voyager I was excited and hopeful that Kawasaki would step up with a touring bike truly capable of taking on the 'Wing. It didn't happen IMHO. Not enough attention to detail and too many things that are cheaply done and that fall short of the mark. Especially the bags. OMG what were they thinking?!

At this point, unless the production bikes (that we're told have been pushed back to a July delivery date) are a far cry better than the show mules we saw, my wife and I have decided to keep our Nomad for a while longer, at least until after our son gets out of college anyway.

nomad1600chile
03-24-2009, 04:10 PM
Dear Friends

A consultation the Voyager is considered as Nomad?

My dream is to have a, but I also want to continue belonging to your organization, and the Nomad 1700 it is beautiful also.

Besta regards and safety ride to all

bobzinger
03-24-2009, 07:22 PM
Just so you all know!
I am willing to be the Guinea Pig and test drive a new Nomad or Voyager for the good of Kawanow. Just send me $20,000 for the bike, insurance, gas, etc and will make the sacrifice to let you know if I really like it or not!

jon
03-24-2009, 08:22 PM
I got tired of waiting. I pick up a new Victory Vision Tour Premium this weekend. I'll post some pics.

Jon

audiogooroo
03-24-2009, 10:48 PM
Man Jon, you change bikes like most folks change their shirt! :)
Congrats on the new Vision. Let us know how you like it.

cactusjack
03-24-2009, 10:59 PM
I got tired of waiting. I pick up a new Victory Vision Tour Premium this weekend. I'll post some pics.

Jon

I know a guy from the local VROC group that bought an '08 Vision Tour last year. He calls it "the world's most comfortable bike".

Enjoy the sweet taste of Victory.

Yellow Jacket
03-25-2009, 08:40 PM
Dear Friends

A consultation the Voyager is considered as Nomad?

My dream is to have a, but I also want to continue belonging to your organization, and the Nomad 1700 it is beautiful also.

Besta regards and safety ride to all

Sebastion,

The Voyager and Nomad are basically the same bike except the Voyager has the fairing and the trunk.

I believe that there will be no problem with remaining a part of KawaNOW if you get a Voyager.

Best of luck in fulfilling your dream!

Cheers, Bob

jon
03-25-2009, 08:41 PM
I sold the BMW for what I paid for it. Good bike, but dealers too far and between and expensive to own. Victory pretty simple maintenance, solid engine, and reasonable to own. Time will tell and besides I'm just helping out the economy by buying an American made bike.

ringadingh
03-27-2009, 09:03 AM
Thats a nice bike Jon, I know what you mean about the Beemers being expensive to own. My brother has one, it fell over on the sidestand and did almost $800.00 damage for a mirror,clutch lever and shifter. And that didn't include a couple scratches either.

rhunt4
03-27-2009, 05:07 PM
I owned two victories a 1999 and a 2001 and never agin mine had transmision problems from day one traded for the 2001 and the same thing and the dealer in knoxville tn. was no help. JMHO

jon
03-27-2009, 08:31 PM
Let's hope they worked that out

Sin City Stan
03-31-2009, 10:38 PM
Just keepin the thread alive!

I'm the proud owner of a new 1700 Nomad. Give me a couple days and I will get a full report/review posted. Still figuring out how to post pictures.

pirate
04-01-2009, 08:28 AM
Can't wait for a report, Stan!

bobzinger
04-01-2009, 12:42 PM
[quote="bobzinger ":ol5kiptf]Just keepin the thread alive!

I'm the proud owner of a new 1700 Nomad. Give me a couple days and I will get a full report/review posted. Still figuring out how to post pictures. [/quote:ol5kiptf]

Way to Go!

nomad1600chile
04-03-2009, 02:44 PM
Congratulations what a I Nice Byke, Enjoy it and I congratulate you

Cajunrider
04-08-2009, 03:33 PM
I visited my dealer this afternoon and sat on an '09 Nomad 1700. The bike looks great and the top loading bags aren't that bad. It would take a little getting used to but I don't have any major heartburn with them. One thing I noticed is that I feel like I'm sitting more forward and the bike actually feels a little smaller than my '07. I didn't take any pictures because it is the same color as Stan's in the above post. I would like the extra torque and the six speed. Nice bike but I'll keep my '07 for a few years.

petenrudy
04-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Well I took delivery of my 1700 Nomad yesterday. Black. Very impressive paint, especially with the gold/white pin stripping. I had the dealer reinstall my J+M CB and Garmin GPS. May have not been the best decision as they brought all the connections to the surface in the wrong locations. So I redid it myself. Only downside was a scratch I left on the saddle bag when reinstalling the seat at 3AM (memo to file: STOP working on the bike after midnight) I hope they offer touch up paint :-[

Even with an eye on over-reving, you can tell that there is a good bit of punch in the new engine. The OD is very well positioned. Staying just under 70 as recommended, the OD drops the RPMS but doesn't cause any lugging. Coming from a VTX1800 with linked brakes, it took a bit to get accustomed to these suspenders, but they were up to the task. The bags seem much more durable than the ones on the bike I saw at the International Motorcycle Show. Maybe the bags on that bike were demos rushed through for those shows. The lid clasp does not catch immediately. An adjustment might be necessary.

Just one downside and it is repairable. The seat is TOO thick. It slides you too far forward (Groin crushing?) and sits a bit too high. It makes the seating position feels a bit too cramped for me and I'm only 5'9"! I think a deep dished Corbin or Mustang replacement will be just the ticket.

Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5 (the seat cost it that half)

Hope this helps.

fish
04-12-2009, 06:46 PM
congrads on the bike. I'm 5' 10" and the 09 nomad felt a little cramped to me compaired to my 08

cactusjack
04-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Well I took delivery of my 1700 Nomad yesterday. Black. Very impressive paint, especially with the gold/white pin stripping. I had the dealer reinstall my J+M CB and Garmin GPS. May have not been the best decision as they brought all the connections to the surface in the wrong locations. So I redid it myself. Only downside was a scratch I left on the saddle bag when reinstalling the seat at 3AM (memo to file: STOP working on the bike after midnight) I hope they offer touch up paint :-[

Even with an eye on over-reving, you can tell that there is a good bit of punch in the new engine. The OD is very well positioned. Staying just under 70 as recommended, the OD drops the RPMS but doesn't cause any lugging. Coming from a VTX1800 with linked brakes, it took a bit to get accustomed to these suspenders, but they were up to the task. The bags seem much more durable than the ones on the bike I saw at the International Motorcycle Show. Maybe the bags on that bike were demos rushed through for those shows. The lid clasp does not catch immediately. An adjustment might be necessary.

Just one downside and it is repairable. The seat is TOO thick. It slides you too far forward (Groin crushing?) and sits a bit too high. It makes the seating position feels a bit too cramped for me and I'm only 5'9"! I think a deep dished Corbin or Mustang replacement will be just the ticket.

Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5 (the seat cost it that half)

Hope this helps.

First of all, welcome to the Nomad Nation from the Grand Canyon State! Be sure to drop by the new member introductions area and introduce yourself and get welcomed all nice and proper.

I rode a 1700 Nomad a week ago and just remembered something I failed to mention in my write-up, but your comment brought back a painful memory - when I climbed aboard one of my "boys" almost got crushed. I thought it was just me, but maybe it was the seat.

rksaw
04-17-2009, 02:15 AM
Pete,
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the write up.
Rich

blowndodge
04-17-2009, 04:04 PM
It was definitely the seat and not you Scott! http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif You couldn't catch those little chicken nuggets in your own zipper!!!!

dogdoc
04-17-2009, 04:49 PM
that new seat just looks way to ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, IMO.

sakirider
04-18-2009, 12:12 AM
Here's an excellent write up on all four models of the V1700.
http://www.chicago106miles.com/Vulcan_1700_Review.pdf http://s2.images.proboards.com/cool.gif

flatlander
05-02-2009, 05:02 PM
Hi folks,
I'm a brand new 2009 Nomad Owner and I LOVE IT! I previously owned an 01 for 5 years, traded it for a Goldwing and regretted it almost immediately, traded the 'wing for a Venture to a guy that made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Really didn't like the Venture and when the new 1700's were announced I new what I wanted.
Took delivery Thursday and of course it has rained Friday and now Saturday so I still only have about 100 miles on it but I can tell you what I know so far.
This bike has POWER, the torque # of 108 should say it all, when you upshift the bike practically leaps forward, and I'm taking it easy during the break-in. (any thoughts on the break-in process? I know there are two schools out there, let me know what you think. Follow the owners manual or the "ride it like ya stole it" school)
One comment I saw was "I'd trade the 6 speed for the cruise control". Well now you can have both and they both work flawlessly. There is a really loud "clank" when you shift but I hope that lessens as it gets broken in. I'll let you know. There is also a strange whine that may be the new belt, hopefully that will quiet down in time.
Many have mentioned the smaller reach to the handlebars and more compact cockpit. That is not an issue with me at only 5'7", a friend who is 6'4" sat on it and said it felt fine. He is considering the Voyager (currently rides a Venture) I will be adding highway pegs so, if I need to stretch out it won't be a problem.
The seat is VERY comfortable but I have not had a chance to spend all day in it yet. My '01 had a comfortable seat but a 300 mile day caused butt burn, a Mustang seat fixed that problem. I hope that's an investment I won't have to make with this new seat. The seat on the Nomad and Voyager are different from the Classic and LT so we'll see if it really is "all day comfortable". Again, I'll let you know.
Another concern is the bags. I don't like the looks as much as the old style but I understand the move to top loading. The "action" of the lids is kinda cheap feeling and they are tricky to close. I'll bet Kawasaki revises them in a couple years. Hopefully if there is a problem they'll be covered in the Good Times Protection Plan. I do wish they had retained the familiar 3 chrome strips. I may add some just so you can tell from a block away it's a Nomad.
I also like the "floating" pads on the floorboards, I can assure you no vibrations reach your feet.
You may have noticed in photos a small switch on the right handlebar that says A-B, this switch controls LCD displays in the Speedometer, Range, Trip meters, miles/km's, etc.
So far all I can say is this is the smoothest, most powerful V-twin I've ridden, the sound of the pipes is a little louder than my old Nomad but is certainly not loud, just a pleasant rumble. As far as the concerns about belt drive. They've been around a while and I've heard they hold up well and these new ones from Kawasaki are supposed to be stronger, that's why they were able to make it narrower. If any issues arise with my Nomad I'll post them here as soon as they occur.

By the way, somehow a wrong box was clicked and lists me as female, I love 'em but I'm not one.

See ya'll out there and feel free to contact me with any questions or comments. As I'm sure you can tell I love to talk about my new Nomad!

Gary Merriott
Email: cmerriott@suddenlink.net

cactusjack
05-02-2009, 07:12 PM
I am looking forward to hearing more about the 1700's. I based my decision to purchase my 2007 heavily on the information I found here. I'm in no hurry to get rid of my bike, but I'm sure there are others who may be "on the fence", and feedback from 1700 owners would probably be a benefit to them.

phenrichs
05-06-2009, 01:15 PM
I'm with you CJ. I love my Nomad and have no plan to get rid of it but my wife always comments on how comfy a goldwing looks so I know my next bike will have to be a full tourer so I am very interested in the Nomad\Voyager platform.

petenrudy
05-08-2009, 10:53 PM
Here's where I guess we add our own 2 cents...
Regarding break-in routines, I've followed the manufacturer's for each of the 5 new bikes that I purchased. They were all the same dispite 3 of the 5 being Hondas. Don't go over 60 in 5th (70 in 6th :) until you knock off your first 500. During that times try not to maintain any 1 speed for too long of a period. It sounds like they want you to stretch their legs gradually through all the RPM ranges but also maximixe the lights of the cams while braking it in. Then change the oil 500 mikes in and THEN you can consider beating her like you stole her
Petenrudy

Cajunrider
05-09-2009, 08:47 AM
Chicken nuggets. ??? You guys are pretty good buddies. http://s2.images.proboards.com/cheesy.gif

peterdarby
05-12-2009, 07:12 AM
I thought I would add some comments on what I have found with the new 1700. I have about 700+ miles on it and am really starting to get into the groove of riding it. My other bike is a BMW RTP so It took a couple of rides on the Nomad to figure out where my feet go when I start off. I also had to get used to the foot brake positioning and heel shifter since I have always ridden with pegs. I got a chance to ride in heavy rain and I can say that I didn't get any driving rain behind the windshield. The cruise control is gaining ground in my estimation the more I play with it. I put it on to go down a steep downgrade and it held a steady 50MPH all the way down and back up. I have noticed a lot of not so good first impressions that reverse themselves as you ride. The foot position for one. Another is the seat. At first it seems uncomfortable but the longer you ride the more you discover that it is very amenable to position shifts that keep you comfortable on a long ride. Of course I have started to bling it up. The first thing is a little camoflaged light hiding under the handlebars that I can use in the dark for saddlebag searches or whatever. Then off to WalMart for a chrome bicyle cupholder ($7) and a chrome insolated mug ($25). And this weekend I got some of the stained glass paint (blue) and did the lowers and bottom of the windshield. Next speakers, radio and accessory plug.

bobzinger
05-12-2009, 10:16 AM
Lets see some pix of the stained glass paint.

putt
05-14-2009, 08:29 PM
Lots of pages in this thread, whew, I tried to read 'em all but I missed a couple and jumped ahead. Glad to see some owners of the 09s have already posted, I always feel new guys like me should be seen and not heard for a while. Like kids! Or at least the way kids used to be treated.
I'll just mention a few things....for the life of me I can't yet figure out the complaints re the saddlebags. Oh sure, some may not like the shape but as far as sturdiness, I just don't get it. I swear, if you put some cargo straps around those bags you could lift the bike by them, and I'm comin' off a 05 Goldwing and these bags compare just fine to them. I've removed them already and the engineering on the mounting is beautiful.
As far as "denting them, or buckling them with the push of a finger" (which I read) if you're in the mood to do that, I'd suggest you try to do it with the tank, it might be easier. Nope, that one I don't get, they're a high point of the design. Belt drive! Been riding a Victory for close to 5 years and regularly reading the Victory site. Vics are an incredibly fast and powerful bike but busted belts are still treated as a rarity. My SE area is a hotbed of soup up guys on Vics and a couple of them have broken a few but they drag race. A lot! A friend had one go at about 25,000 miles and I think the whole thing cost under $200, including trailering it.
The seat. The first 50 miles I felt like I was on a downhill slope, but then that went away and it is very comfortable. Max so far is about a 150 mile leg and no problems so we'll see, I do some long distance stuff.
I'm 6' tall, 31 inch inseam and the bike feels like a custom made suit. Taller than that? I'd check it out carefully if I were you but this bike is gonna' make a lot of shorter guys very happy.
Power. Look, I've been riding 2 of the faster road bikes out there, a Vegas and a Goldwing. If I was coming off a HD I'd say the Nomad is fast, but not coming off my two previous bikes. That may make new Nomad owners unhappy, but....this Nomad is plenty fast. I love a V twin (more than an opposed 6) and this is one sweet V twin and I have no regrets, about the quality, the engineering, the power and one sweet, sweet ride. And I get the feeling that you can do what you want with that engine and you are not going to stress it
As I do every time before I buy a new bike, I went to the local HD shop, rented a bike (again) rode it for a weekend (again) and passed it up.(again) Its like ex wives and girlfriends, ya' can't go back. And with the great price I got on the Goldwing, the $5 to $6000 difference wouldn't have been a deal breaker.
They haven't yet made the perfect bike in this industry but the Nomad comes close enough for what I want.
I'll try to be more specific about her as I get some milage racked up, but I love this bike.
Thanks for listening
Lets go for a putt!

bobzinger
05-15-2009, 03:03 PM
Amen Putt!

Cajunrider
05-15-2009, 10:03 PM
Great writeup Putt. I've never ridden a 1700, just sat on one for about 5 minutes on the showroom floor. I felt like I was sitting closer to the tank than on my '07 but I don't think it would take long for me to get comfortable. You got a great looking bike and you are happy, that's all that matters.

lonerider
05-16-2009, 09:44 PM
I've found the seat very comfortable, especially on the longer rides. Once you relax "into it", there's what amounts to a half-size, built in back rest too. :) The bags are very nice, and for those who wonder about the unused portion at top, I figure it's only a matter of time before someone designs some kind of net or shelf where some stuff can be stored in the "top" section more easily. Also, I've found the electronic cruise control to be fantastic--not just on the longer rides, but keeping a constant "35" down the Boulevard while letting the throttle hand relax. I've just gone over 1,500 miles and according to the on-board computer, this one is getting 39.8 mpg. I love my Nomad!

landman
05-20-2009, 04:28 PM
here are my thoughts on the reasons for changeing to belt drive.
1.more horsepower and torque to the rear wheel.this is where
the big cruiser race is amongst the factories.
2. lower cost to manufacture.
3.easier to install a variety of custom wheels which is a big deal
at harley and yamaha and victory.
4. reduced overall bike wieght.