PDA

View Full Version : Speedo/ odom

hub
07-20-2007, 12:44 AM
Hello all, I just got back from a couple thou trip. On the first day my speedo was working intermittently and after about 6 hrs of riding it ceased to function at all. This happened for the four days of riding. These are electrical pick up type of speedo and require an impulse to read (this includes your odometer). I have not dived into this yet but will let you know of what i find.
Some Characteristics; When it has been shut down for a little while it works best and then progressively gets worse, I think it is affected by torque because of when the power is taken off (throttle) the needle goes for a dive and returns when i twist the throttle again most of the time.
If anybody has any ideas about this, i am all ears.
Thanks Hans

blowndodge
07-20-2007, 10:00 AM
An intermittent signal could mean a couple of things. Has your bike got wet lately? If so, remove the instrument housing and check the connections. remove each one and spray some WD 40 or something simular one each end. Also under the left side (shifter side) engine case cover is the speedo pick up. Try the same thing there. It seems corrosion is almost always the culprit for strange electrical behavior.

08-20-2007, 01:56 PM
I would be willing to bet if that dont work with the suggestions above that the speedo is defective. Take it back if it's under warranty.

hub
09-05-2007, 07:54 PM
thanks guys, As it happened I had to store the bike for 4 weeks and after it had fixed it self. I know it wasn’t the Speedo cluster because I had borrowed a friends to try and isolate the problem. The next step was the Speedo pick up that I had especially ordered ($150 item). So to make a long story short, I did wash the bike the day before it happened and I did spray WD 40 on the connectors to the Speedo, pick up and EFI unit. My guess is that after 28 days it finally dried out. I had gone on a 3000 km ride with only 200 km increase on my odometer (this will make up for the offset I read about)
Thanks for the info and keep the wheels down

scion0
09-06-2007, 10:35 AM
... I had gone on a 3000 km ride with only 200 km increase on my odometer (this will make up for the offset I read about)
Thanks for the info and keep the wheels down

Guess that is one way to make it up. http://s2.images.proboards.com/shocked.gif http://s2.images.proboards.com/shocked.gif

scion0
09-07-2007, 01:57 PM
Did they let you return the 150 dollar part?