PDA

View Full Version : Wide Open Fairing Question

heloavi
09-25-2008, 03:20 PM
I installed a wide open fairing on my 06 Nomad and have a few question for those who have done the same.
Did you stick with the stock lowers or did you cut a new set.
Now that I have the fairing I find the wind hitting me about eye level. So I can not keep my visor cracked to keep it from fogging up. Anyone else have this problem? Should I just go with a half helmet and goggles?

Bill

cruiserdad
09-25-2008, 04:13 PM
I'm thinking of getting one of those. Two questions; what size windshield did you get and how tall are you?
Thanks,
Scott Selby

rksaw
09-26-2008, 04:05 AM
Hey guys, if I haven't already said it...welcome to the forum. Here is a good thread posted earlier about fairings and windshields. I don't think that it fully addresses the lower's question, but you might find some good stuff in it.
Rich

http://kawanow.proboards77.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=6084&page=1

heloavi
09-26-2008, 06:33 AM
I'm thinking of getting one of those. Two questions; what size windshield did you get and how tall are you?
Thanks,
Scott Selby
I bought mine used so the shield was already on it. It sticks up 5 3/4" above the fairing. I am 6' so not that tall. I like the way this shield looks it just may not be practical. Or it may be that I do not have my lowers installed.

heloavi
09-26-2008, 06:34 AM
Hey guys, if I haven't already said it...welcome to the forum. Here is a good thread posted earlier about fairings and windshields. I don't think that it fully addresses the lower's question, but you might find some good stuff in it.
Rich

http://kawanow.proboards77.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=6084&page=1

Thanks for the help.

doctorj
09-26-2008, 01:17 PM
I installed a wide open fairing on my 06 Nomad and have a few question for those who have done the same.
Did you stick with the stock lowers or did you cut a new set.
Now that I have the fairing I find the wind hitting me about eye level. So I can not keep my visor cracked to keep it from fogging up. Anyone else have this problem? Should I just go with a half helmet and goggles?

Bill

When I installed my fairing I had to experiment with a few different size windshields until I was satisfied with the correct height. I stand about 6' and have the modified HD fairing on my Nomad. I initially bought a 10" high windshield that gave pretty good coverage especially on long trips, but you're looking thru it instead of over it. Then I tried a 7" but it sat right at my sight lines that had me stretching up to look over or crouching down to look under. I finally got the 6" which worked perfect for me.

One thing to note too is how high your fairing sits on your bike. This where other Wide Open fairing users feedback come in useful as far as their experiences with different height windshields. As for the stock lowers, I feel that a larger sized lower is beneficial. I used to have one but because of the now different configuration due to the fairing install, I had to replace it and put the stock lowers back on. I immediately noticed the increase in the buffeting. I will be installing larger lowers but still undecided on which way I want to go, which is either adapting a chromed HD lower or trimming the larger plexi lower that I took off. HTH.

heloavi
09-27-2008, 07:36 AM
When I installed my fairing I had to experiment with a few different size windshields until I was satisfied with the correct height. I stand about 6' and have the modified HD fairing on my Nomad. I initially bought a 10" high windshield that gave pretty good coverage especially on long trips, but you're looking thru it instead of over it. Then I tried a 7" but it sat right at my sight lines that had me stretching up to look over or crouching down to look under. I finally got the 6" which worked perfect for me.

One thing to note too is how high your fairing sits on your bike. This where other Wide Open fairing users feedback come in useful as far as their experiences with different height windshields. As for the stock lowers, I feel that a larger sized lower is beneficial. I used to have one but because of the now different configuration due to the fairing install, I had to replace it and put the stock lowers back on. I immediately noticed the increase in the buffeting. I will be installing larger lowers but still undecided on which way I want to go, which is either adapting a chromed HD lower or trimming the larger plexi lower that I took off. HTH.
Thanks for the info. I will probably look at cutting new lowers also.
It would be nice if I could get a few wide open guys to comment. I must smell or something.
Bill