PDA

View Full Version : GPS likes / dislikes

davepa
07-19-2007, 10:48 AM
Still looking for a GPS for the Nomad...a waterproof unit would be nice, but for the cost difference a baggie may surfice.
What unit(s) seem to be holding up well along with being able to operate while riding?
Regards Dave

trip
07-19-2007, 04:15 PM
Dave, I use the Garmin 2610. It's not water proof, but I've never had any problems with water getting in it.

The 2610 is ideal for use on a motorcycle because it uses a flash card to access data rather than a hard drive. Plus, it has a nice color screen and offers tons of features.......

I use a RAM Mount with it. Haven't had any problems.

Trip

davepa
07-19-2007, 04:54 PM
Thanks , I wondered if all models with flash cards could be used on a motorcycle...is that the case? There are several model I had looked at but at present have come to no conclusion.

its4dale
07-19-2007, 05:05 PM
I have a Garman C320. It works fine but has no ear jack. All of them have limited visibility in bright sunlight. Consider mounting too, I used a Ram mount assembly.

madman
07-21-2007, 06:10 AM
Dave, I use the Garmin 2610. It's not water proof, but I've never had any problems with water getting in it.

I believe that the unit is water resistant to around 3 meters... I've been caught in some serious frog stranglers and my 2610 had never failed me... I lost an MP3 player in a downpour once and the Garmin just took a licking and kept on ticking!!! LOL

nightflight1
07-22-2007, 11:30 PM
I have the Garmin 2610 with a Ram mount. I like my Garmin in my truck but it's hard to see in this hot Texas sun, I even bought a visor for it but still have problems in daylight.
Wayne
Night Flight

scion0
09-11-2007, 04:23 PM

The 2610 is ideal for use on a motorcycle because it uses a flash card to access data rather than a hard drive. Plus, it has a nice color screen and offers tons of features.......

Trip

Trip, it looks like that model has been discontinued. Can you recommend another or should I look for one on Ebay?

beezer
09-11-2007, 04:40 PM
The Garmin Nuvi's are real popular on bikes. They even have mp3 players built in. Here's a page full of info https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=6290
Then you can shop Ebay if you'd like.

beezer
09-11-2007, 04:51 PM
I have this model for sale with every accessory including a RAM mount for $175
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=155

ccmjr77
09-11-2007, 05:45 PM
I have a garmin quest.
I like it because it has a Li battery that last up to 20 hours. I do not have it hardwired into the bike and have used it for over 6 hours straight and drained less than half a charge.
I got a RAM mount for it.

davepa
09-11-2007, 09:41 PM
Thanks for all the replies ! I purchased a Garmin 2610 and thus far love it.
It is amazing how quickly you become GPS Dependant.

09-11-2007, 10:41 PM
I'm currently looking at the Garmin Zumo 550 made for motorcycles and is water proof and works great with gloves. A little pricey but worth it. There down to the $660+ range now But I think my bride is getting it for me for X-mas.

http://amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000H2W4E6/ruggedelegance2066-20/ref=nosim

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=414&tab=zumo

trip
09-12-2007, 07:03 AM
[quote:pbc0ynai]Dave, I use the Garmin 2610. It's not water proof, but I've never had any problems with water getting in it.

Trip

Trip, it looks like that model has been discontinued. Can you recommend another or should I look for one on Ebay?[/quote:pbc0ynai]

All I can recommend is get one that uses a flash card, not a hard drive and you will kick yourself if you don't get a color screen. Trust me.

Trip

dogdoc
09-12-2007, 08:19 PM
whatever happened to maps and heads<LOL

beezer
09-13-2007, 09:45 AM
whatever happened to maps and heads<LOL

I hear ya Doc. My new job takes me to so many places that I'd be stopping at a gas station in every town I go to. I picked up a Garmin C330 since I started. Before I leave my driveway I punch in the addy and hit the GO button and it tells me every turn to make. That beats taking the time to do a Mapquest almost everyday. It calculates the trip before I back out my driveway. To get home from anywhere I hit the GO HOME button and off I go. What a help this thing is. Did I mention I like no brainers. :)

scion0
09-13-2007, 08:43 PM
Must have left this thread up on my PC. Came home a few minutes ago from a ride (over 1100 miles now http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif) and my wife handed me a TOMTOM model ONE XL! (then said Merry Christmas! -- I think they are 100 bucks off at Circuit City right now.)

Looks nice on the box, says it will talk to me haha. Her folks friend has one and her folks loved it!

They know I get lost in my own house and thought of me right off! Aren't they sweet. Gonna have to figure out how to hook it up this weekend.

beezer
09-13-2007, 09:51 PM
How cool is that !!!

scion0
09-24-2007, 08:39 AM
I now realize that adapting the car GPS to the bike will be easy enough except that the TomTom One XL does not have an earphone jack so sound may not be an option... :-(

jayc
09-26-2007, 06:11 AM
Using Mio 220. Bought new on ebay 188, including shipping. Very happy with it.