PDA

View Full Version : Bike stalling on occasional downshifts. Ideas??

nighthawk700
09-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Today for the first day (that I can remember) my 2007 Nomad has been acting funny. On occasions (not every time) when I would downshift, the bike would stall, and I'd have to hit the start button to get it going again. This sometimes happened when I was coming to a stop, or if I was just slowing down (like 5th to 4th gear, for a reduced speed limit). It's been happening all day, but not every time. Of course it made me paranoid and I had to feel very closely (I don't wear hearing aids when riding, so I don't hear the engine). This happened throughout my 200 some odd mile trip.

Any suggestions what I should be looking for? The idle speed seems a tad low, but I haven't touched/adjusted it at all (I'm not even sure WHERE to adjust it!)

I tried to pay attention to see if I was shifting any differently than usual, but didn't notice any change.

Thanks.

Top Cat
09-14-2008, 04:50 PM
I have an 07 also and the only time I had trouble with it stalling exactly as you mention is when I adjusted the idle to low.
I have to run mine at 1000 to 1100 rpm's for it not to stall.
Turn your idle up a tad.
There is a knob on the end of a cable at the bottom of the right hand ( as you sit on the bike ) air cleaner cover. Turn it forward to increase rpm's.
Yes I know you guys, it's not an air cleaner cover but it's the best way to explain it.

09-14-2008, 04:52 PM
If that does not help take that same cover off and clean the throttle bodies with carb cleaner and a tooth brush (old one).

moenko
09-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Boy does that sound like DéjÃ* vu to me (see my thread in Blowndoge's "Hesitation at take-off". I keep suspecting some buildup somewhere in the fuel system. Cleaned the throttle body with spray and stiff toothbrush. Then I took two spark plugs out and poured some Seafoam into the cylinders and let it sit overnight. The rest of the can into the tank. Revving it hard (1st and 2nd up to redline). So far no more hesitation or stalling. Next step: StarTron Enzyme fuel treatment. That should take care of cleaning the entire fuel delivery system, takes moisture out of it, removes carbon buildup, etc. StarTron comes from boating application and works entirely different than Seafoam. It's the cheapest way so I would say - try that first ;)

redjay
09-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Hi, Make sure your plug leads are all the way on the plugs. One of mine came off the plug a little and the bike was doing what you describe. I pushed it on all the way and problem solved. It was also vibrating and down on power a little.

oldbikers
09-14-2008, 05:46 PM
The only time mine did that was when the idle was to low

macmac
09-14-2008, 07:22 PM
Check the air filter(s) I don't know if you are stock or something else... Clean the throttle body with seafoam and a tooth brush. If today is warm and muggy it just might be the low pressure going by from Ike... less O2 in the air.. The mix will more or less compenstate for it, but the idle could drop a few beats.

If that fails maybe you will need to turn up the idle after all. Sitting on the bike under the air cleaner like can is a black knob on a cable. most of these are a little hard to turn clockwise the first time, and it helps if the grip is rolled on a little bit to let off the linkage.

The other knob called choke could be used by adjusting it out for a temp soultion since all it does is open the throttle plate for so much as you have it pulled out. This in on the left up front in plain sight.

naugaman
09-14-2008, 09:34 PM
I think it is an inherent problem of the Nomad. Had it happen to me on my 05 more times than I care to remember. All the things stated can help but they are just small fixes. I tried everything in the book and still had it stall.

Top Cat
09-14-2008, 09:46 PM
After I turned my idle up my bike never stalled again.
Well, unless I did something stupid like put the kickstand down while in gear or tried to take off from a stop in 4th :-[

hollywood
09-14-2008, 10:27 PM
I've tried em all too and mine still does it.

blowndodge
09-15-2008, 12:07 AM
Bumping the TPS seems to be the most effective way as stopping the low speed stall. I can run my idle a little lower now and it still doesn't stall..

nighthawk700
09-15-2008, 04:26 AM
Blowndodge, what is the "TPS"? Anyway, I will try moving the idle ahead a little bit, and I just recently got some sea foam, so will try that as well (of course I just filled up my tank before arriving home ::) ). And I'll give the plug leads a push to make sure they are on tight. I'm just a bit concerned that a few of you said this is normal. I've never heard of it being normal for a bike to stall just from shifting from 5th to 4th gear while riding down the highway! http://s2.images.proboards.com/shocked.gif

One sea foam question, I remember it being something like 4 oz to add with a fillup. Is that general, or do you really measure it going in? I'll have to see if I can get a measuring cup that's not for food usage!

moenko
09-15-2008, 05:27 AM
Brad is referring to the "Throttle Position Sensor". There's a procedure you can do if you're daring and experienced enough to adjust that sensor. Others will better explain what it does, I think in the end it won't allow the bike to drop the rpm too low and thus reducing the chance of a stall. If I ever come across someone who knows what they're doing, I might bribe them into adjusting mine ;)

Seafoam??? I don't measure, I go by feel - you can't overdose on it really, not with one can!

A word in general: If stalling is considered "normal" or a common issue with the bike, then I must say there is something wrong with that picture. NO fuel injected motorcycle should stall without apparent reason, and surely not a $13k one with a brand name on the tank!!

Top Cat
09-15-2008, 08:13 AM
Brad is referring to the "Throttle Position Sensor". There's a procedure you can do if you're daring and experienced enough to adjust that sensor. Others will better explain what it does, I think in the end it won't alloy the bike to drop the rpm too low and thus reducing the chance of a stall. If I ever come across someone who knows what they're doing, I might bribe them into adjusting mine ;)

Seafoam??? I don't measure, I go by feel - you can't overdose on it really, not with one can!

A word in general: If stalling is considered "normal" or a common issue with the bike, then I must say there is something wrong with that picture. NO fuel injected motorcycle should stall without apparent reason, and surely not a $13k one with a brand name on the tank!!

What he said. I never heard of this being NORMAL on a Nomad ???

scion0
09-15-2008, 02:02 PM
Bumping the TPS seems to be the most effective way as stopping the low speed stall. I can run my idle a little lower now and it still doesn't stall..

Isn't that kind of complicated for us nonmechanical types? or is it so easy Nico can do it? http://s2.images.proboards.com/shocked.gif

http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

dogdoc
09-15-2008, 06:34 PM
Tc dont your bike use more gas having rpm 1000-1,100 rpm than lower? I have run mine at like 650-750 rpm for more than 2 yrs and it has only stalled twice on up shifts between 2-3 and 3-4. Doesnt die turning corners, etc, just pondering. :-)

donoller
09-15-2008, 10:45 PM
SET YOUR IDLE IT WILL BE FINE. IF YOU MESS WITH SENSOR YOU MAY LEAN IT OUT AND BURN PISTON.

burkazoid
09-16-2008, 07:40 AM
After I turned my idle up my bike never stalled again.
Well, unless I did something stupid like put the kickstand down while in gear or tried to take off from a stop in 4th :-[

Or, you know, you forget to pull in the clutch when you downshift. http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Top Cat
09-16-2008, 07:46 AM
Doc, I don't think it makes a lot of difference. I usually get 40 to 43 MPG depending on conditions. This seems to be right in the ball park with others on here.
I tried running it lower but, as I said it stalls on some down shifts if I do.
burkazoid , haven't done that one yet. Cindy and I were sitting at a stop sign in first gear one day and she let go with her left hand to fix her faceshield http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif her bike lurched and stalled. I didn't bust on her to bad ;)

macmac
09-16-2008, 08:35 AM
I don't have a tach, but these engines are not made to idle real low. You can starve them for oil doing that. Set the idle to 950/1,050 and it will never stall. Niether my 01 or 06 stall ever, and these both have the ICS removed.. I live in NH where it can be colder, and I still have no real need of the so called choke.

If the bike was idling ok and then it changed to be slower clean the throttle body first, before any other thing. Then if it still isn't right, check the air filter for dirt.

If that is ok, take it out on the highway with some 87 octane in it, and get the rpms up say 65-75 mph in 3rd a while, to burn up carbon and blow it out..

I think a great deal of us sort of lug and putter around in 5th doing 55... That will build carbon.

The carbon will decrease mix demand, and raise compression, but at 55 in 5th you are not using the compression.

Idle doesn't use a heck of a lot of fuel, and I don't set about much at idle anyway. Of course I have to go more than 20 miles just to see a red light.

nighthawk700
09-18-2008, 09:23 PM
I tried to turn the idle knob, it didn't want to turn any. I also rolled on the throttle while doing so as suggested. Silly question... Is it best to do this with the bike running, or turned off? (I tried this while walking by, wasn't going anywhere at the time, so didn't have the key with me).