PDA

View Full Version : Travel to the states

littlejohn
09-11-2008, 03:07 PM
For the moment it seems to be a good time to make a little trip to the states for an european. I would like to know if it is possible to rent one of these wonderfull Nomads and to make a little tour .

Otherwise, the Us are such a big country, that I really do not know, where I could find a good riding ground, where the weather is allmost fine, where to rent a bike and so on.

As I see in the landcards attached here in the forum,several members have allready travelled nearly all the states. Maybe someone could give me a little tip

Thanks in advance
Jeannot from Luxemburg ( Central Europe )

waterman
09-11-2008, 04:04 PM
I really don't think that you can rent a Nomad. About the only brand that you can rent is a Harley. Kind of pricey thou. As far as where to ride and the weather depends upon the time of year that you are planning on the trip. Late fall to early winter, the southern part of the US would be available. The North would be to cold and unpredictable weather.

In the summer, most anywhere would be good. It would also be good to know your interests in what you would like to see. The US is larger than you think.

cactusjack
09-11-2008, 04:15 PM
I really don't think that you can rent a Nomad. About the only brand that you can rent is a Harley. Kind of pricey thou. As far as where to ride and the weather depends upon the time of year that you are planning on the trip. Late fall to early winter, the southern part of the US would be available. The North would be to cold and unpredictable weather.

In the summer, most anywhere would be good. It would also be good to know your interests in what you would like to see. The US is larger than you think.

No kidding. The county I live in (Maricopa) is 9,224 square miles. The entire country of Luxembourg is 998.6 square miles. That's just one county in one state. I hope you're ready for some wide open spaces.

Unless you want to rent a little scooter, I think Harleys are about all that are available for rental. You might find a place that rents BMWs in some areas.

phenrichs
09-11-2008, 04:54 PM
I am not sure where you are planning to go but it is getting close to autumn here in the midwest so some days riding is touch and go. However, Minneapolis Minnesota has a couple of places that do rentals. It looks like one of the places has offices in Arizona as well, which would be better this time of year. Here are the links:
http://www.midwestmotorcycle.com/ this one looks like it is just harleys for the day kind of rental.
http://libertymotorcyclerental.com/ this is the one with offices in Minnesota and Arizona. It looks like they will help plan your whole trip and rent you a bike. Good luck and make sure you let us all know when you are coming. I forgot to add, the second link looks like rent Harleys and Goldwings.

Yellow Jacket
09-11-2008, 05:17 PM
Here are three companies that offer motorcycle tours in the United States and their web sites. Look them over and see if any of them have what you're looking for.

Great American Motorcycle touring:
http://www.greatamericantouring.com/

Ayres Adventures:
http://www.ronayres.com/

Rocky Mountain Motorcycle Holidays:
http://rockymtnmoto.com/

waterman
09-11-2008, 08:11 PM
No kidding. The county I live in (Maricopa) is 9,224 square miles. The entire country of Luxembourg is 998.6 square miles. That's just one county in one state. I hope you're ready for some wide open spaces.

Agree with you there CJ. We had an exchange student from Germany. Her father came over to the U.S. for work and flew to Denver to stay with us for an extended weekend. Couldn't believe the expansiveness of the region. In fact the highway we live by he stated "The road that never ends." At one point all you can see is the road going forever with nothing in sight.

rksaw
09-11-2008, 09:06 PM
"In Europe 200 years is a short period of time, and 200 miles is a great distance.
In the U.S. 200 years is an eternity, and 200 miles a short day trip." (I'd even say 1/2 day)
Rich

littlejohn
09-12-2008, 11:39 AM
Thanks guys for all the links and tips.
As cactusjack said, I comefrom a small country in Europe, and the wide open space in the states would be something special for me. Forests and small country roads are well known by us. But something like an interstate Highway with for me unknown cars,bikes and trucks would be something new.

Some years ago, i was at orlando in Florida. As we made a little tour by car to Cape Kanaveral, I liked the way the americans drive. Nobody is running fast like the German, driving like fools, as the French and the Italian on thr highways

I like american roads

So i better had to go to some of the southern states if i go to US

Thanks for your help

Jeannot

cactusjack
09-12-2008, 02:25 PM
"In Europe 200 years is a short period of time, and 200 miles is a great distance.
In the U.S. 200 years is an eternity, and 200 miles a short day trip." (I'd even say 1/2 day)
Rich

Wow Rich, I'm impressed by your profundity.

gopjohnny
09-13-2008, 07:30 PM
jeannot,

I would suggest flying into atlanta Georgia, then riding north through the smokies and maybe up to the Blue Ridge parkway

gopjohnny
09-13-2008, 07:39 PM
one more question for you where was the picture taken with the Confederate Flag hanging in the back ground? As a Descendent of a Vetern of who fought for that flag I always am amazed the places it turns up.

rksaw
09-15-2008, 01:27 AM
CJ, I wish I could remember who originally said that...it was driving me nuts when I typed it.

wanderer
09-16-2008, 06:30 PM

Unless you want to rent a little scooter, I think Harleys are about all that are available for rental. You might find a place that rents BMWs in some areas.

CJ. you shouldn't have said anything about size, now you will get all them Texicans all stirred up. :)