PDA

View Full Version : Distance

chainsaw
09-04-2008, 01:56 PM
Anyone know the distance from Custer, South Dakota strait north to
North Dakota?

dogdoc
09-04-2008, 01:58 PM
just a fur piece Al, no not sure without a map, but shouldn't be too far.

cactusjack
09-04-2008, 02:19 PM
Where in ND? The state line?

Mapquest says it's 200.9 miles from Custer to Bowman, ND which is the first town on the map in ND on US-85.

chainsaw
09-04-2008, 02:36 PM
Yes the state line. Want to check out the area as long as I'm that far north.

waterman
09-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Ludlow, SD is 174 miles from Custer. The next town is in ND and that is 200. From the looks of the map I would say aroun 180 to 185 miles.

pirate
09-04-2008, 10:40 PM
I live in NW North Dakota, and I've ridden to the Black Hills of SD several times. The trip from Rapid City, SD, to Bowman, ND, takes about 3 hours. Custer is about an hour drive from Rapid City, so you're looking at approximately 4 hours. Bowman, ND, is 24 miles north of the ND/SD border. If you're looking to scoot up to ND anytime around the National Rally, I would strongly suggest going to Medora, ND. It's an old west town about 80 miles from Bowman, ND. They perform a live musical show there every night of the summer from Memorial Day to Labor Day. You might be thinking, "I don't like musicals," but it contains a lot of comedy and they have changing specialty acts such as comedians, jugglers, acrobats, etc. The show lasts about two hours. You can also go to a pitchfork fondue supper before the show where they fry steaks in huge kettles of oil. It's really good. If you're interested, just google Medora, ND.
I know we're the butt of a lot of the country's jokes, but ND truly is a beautiful state. Our winters get pretty cold sometimes, but that just helps keep the riff raff out!

chainsaw
09-04-2008, 11:13 PM
Thanks guys, appreciate the information. Thanks PC will check Google out.

pirate
09-04-2008, 11:20 PM
Al, I forgot to mention that the show in Medora is performed outside in an ampitheatre that's built right in to the badlands. The show starts at 9:30 p.m., and when the sun is setting, you realize that life just doesn't get any better!

phenrichs
09-05-2008, 11:00 AM
When you check google for distance keep in mind there are FEW straight roads in the area so the 65mph straight shots aren't going to happen often and you may take longer to get there. Oh Yeah, the scenery is damn distracting too, so allow extra time for pictures.