PDA

View Full Version : Locktite

kawiman
09-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Stopped to get gas the other day and got a bottle of water while I was at the station. Went to put it in my bag and noticed a screw laying on the ground just under the bag.

I opened the bag and the door was really loose. Both screws had come out and could only find the one that was under the bag. I put it back in and could only finger tight it. Luckily made it to a shop before it came out again and borrowed an allen wrench to tighten it back up.

I know most of you guys probably check these frequently but maybe there are some folks like me that think all you have to do is ride lol.

Point is for anyone that doesnt know better like me, get some locktite and put it on these lil screws. Then check them regularly along with all the other screws on the bike.

Just thought it might help somebody.

Top Cat
09-01-2008, 08:03 PM
I would like to add, there is a ton of room in those saddlebags. Carry a set of allen wrenches and a ratchet set with you. Also I carry a tire repair kit and a pump that hooks to the battery for power.

scion0
09-01-2008, 09:47 PM
I would like to add, there is a ton of room in those saddlebags. Carry a set of allen wrenches and a ratchet set with you. Also I carry a tire repair kit and a pump that hooks to the battery for power.

Good points... now I need to learn how to use a tire repair kit ???

ringadingh
09-02-2008, 07:37 AM
On my bike the seat bolts work loose all the time, Ive already lost two of them the last couple seasons. Now I check them almost every day. My K&N filter also comes loose over time as well, that I have loctited on since and it seems to stay put.

ringadingh
09-02-2008, 07:42 AM
This was on the banner over this post, You can use these knobs to hold your sideboxes on as well as the seat on the 1500's.

http://www.shear-loc.com/?gclid=CPHYiqCQvZUCFQOeFQod4Fp9Qg

moenko
09-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Make sure you get the BLUE Loctite (red bottle). It's mechanically removable. They have Locktite that is close to impossible to remove after it's been applied ... don't ask me how I know http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

09-02-2008, 06:47 PM
Yeah, now that you mention it...

Why the hell does Red Loctite come in a Blue tube
and Blue Loctite come in a Red tube?

...And what insufferable moron approved THAT?!?

dkdixie
09-03-2008, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the tip.

Made me look at mine.....and while they were not loose, did the loctite deal anyway.

ringadingh
09-03-2008, 07:55 AM
My blue loctite is in a blue bottle, just like it should be.

wayne
09-08-2008, 08:44 AM
I asked a rep once about this issue, and his answer was that the difference in color of what ever product it is being different than the container is that it is easier to see. Being easier to see the threads, they can be cleaned better for the next time the container is opened. Hence no more stuck lids. Not that I haven't tried cleaning the threads on a glue bottle, I still, at times, grab the old pliers to get to the good stuff.

cactusjack
09-08-2008, 09:41 AM
I have a question - is blue Loctite normally real thin and runny? I keep a tube around and when I used it the other day, it was really watery. I was curious if maybe the heat in my garage (120+) might have cooked it or something?

mtn1600
09-08-2008, 10:04 PM
I've had the same experience with it getting runny. I always shake the tube just in case it separating.

Better yet, It's now available in a gel. Doesn't drip or run at all. Tube has a screw "cap" on the bottom that pushes it out the spout. Much easier to control & use.

Leo

cactusjack
09-08-2008, 11:53 PM
I've had the same experience with it getting runny. I always shake the tube just in case it separating.

Better yet, It's now available in a gel. Doesn't drip or run at all. Tube has a screw "cap" on the bottom that pushes it out the spout. Much easier to control & use.

Leo

Thanks. I'll look for some of that.

mtn1600
09-09-2008, 10:38 PM
I know Pep Boy's & Checkers carry it. I imagine the other auto parts stores do, too.

ringadingh
09-10-2008, 06:38 PM
The blue stuff is always thin and runny.

09-12-2008, 11:32 AM
I asked a rep once about this issue, and his answer was that the difference in color of what ever product it is being different than the container is that it is easier to see....

Hey, that actually makes sense! http://s2.images.proboards.com/cheesy.gif