PDA

View Full Version : Trunk for Nomad?

rosko
08-24-2008, 03:59 AM
Hi, does anyone know if there is a good trunk available to fit a 2006 1600 Nomad? I have the OEM rack fitted. However, I'm sure the sissy bar would need to be removed. As the rack is mounted to the sissy bar, that would create a problem! Anyone got any ideas? Much appreciated.

Rosko.

mrfuni
08-24-2008, 05:58 AM
http://kawanow.proboards77.com/index.cgi?board=forsalewanted&action=display&thread=5173

skyhookman
08-24-2008, 06:57 AM
I,ve got a scootworks trunk made my rack, so I could keep the orig sissy bar and back rest. Lots of people use harley trunks and the old voyager trunk. I've seen a yama trunk on one, leatherlyke, I believe champion makes one, to many for my small brain to store. Theres several, depends on style and money preference. Couple of good racks also. Good hunting.

heloavi
08-24-2008, 07:13 AM
I bought a trunk on ebay and bought a wompas rack used. If I had it to do again I would spend the extra money on a tour pack from harley used.

kawgirl
08-24-2008, 07:16 AM
I have a Harley trunk with a Wompus rack.

cactusjack
08-24-2008, 08:05 AM
Mutazu trunk mounted on a Wompus rack:

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc218/slhanks4/Tourpak/IMG_0867_RSZ12.jpg

audiogooroo
08-24-2008, 09:49 AM
Early 90s Venture trunk with a Wompus rack here.

waterman
08-24-2008, 11:40 AM
Bought a tour pack on Ebay and mounted it on a wompus rack. What ever you do, don't mount a trunk on the OEM rack. It won't handle the stress of the load.

dano
08-24-2008, 12:54 PM
I've had the Mutazu trunk mounted on a Wompus rack for about
a year now and haven't had the first problem out of it. Not as
great a quality as my HD TourPac, but it does the job just fine.
Ride safe,
Dano

rickyboy
08-24-2008, 04:03 PM
Hi,
There are a lot of opinions and experience here on trunks. Just ask and someone will help you. One of the best things about this site.
I went for the "older" Yamaha Venture trunk. 84' to be exact. I believe it's a personal thing like everything else about "your" bike.
Good luck and welcome from Canada
Rickyboy

08-24-2008, 05:41 PM
I want a trunk, but Miss Polly insists on keeping her backrest and grab rails. I have an oversized luggage rack which is stronger than standard, ( bought especially to carry my Kuryakyn trunk bag) so I'd have to mount a trunk to the rack I have, without getting rid of any of the aforementioned stuff. Haven't yet seen anything that'll work.

audiogooroo
08-24-2008, 06:35 PM
I want a trunk, but Miss Polly insists on keeping her backrest and grab rails. I have an oversized luggage rack which is stronger than standard, ( bought especially to carry my Kuryakyn trunk bag) so I'd have to mount a trunk to the rack I have, without getting rid of any of the aforementioned stuff. Haven't yet seen anything that'll work.
Depends on what year your bike is. Mine is a 99 and I had no trouble keeping the grab rails when I added the Wompus rack. Check out Dan Lund's bike for a grab rail solution on a newer bike.

naugaman
08-24-2008, 07:37 PM
I did not like seeing the grab rails going on my 05 so I made my own rack. I lost the back rest for a tour pak back rest. All those who rode with me enjoyed it a lot. Now that I no longer have my bike, I sold the tour pak to another member here and he commented on how his wife likes it. A wompus rack will make you get rid of the grab rails but sometimes in customizing, you need to make sacrifices.

08-24-2008, 08:07 PM
Mine's an '07, and I'd have to lose the grab rails. "She Who Must Be Obeyed" says NO! LOL!

coacha
08-24-2008, 08:39 PM
Never had any grab rails on my 99 so when I mounted the trunk I got no complaints. I think I'm gonna have the pad reworked on the trunk though for a little more comfort.

rickyboy
08-24-2008, 10:09 PM
I lost my grab bars on my 06' when I designed my rack for the trunk. I ride solo so it didn't really matter to me. Then one of my daughter's said she'd go for a ride with me sometime. So I bought an
"old school" type strap that attached easily. I'll have to look at Dans bike though. Because the bars are more chrome and what could be better than more chrome.

VulcanE
08-24-2008, 11:14 PM
I have an'05 with wompus rack, and an'02 harley Ultra Tour-pak. My wife was skeptical of loosing the grabrails (they are good looking rails too). But after the install, and with the wrap around armrests, she says she don't miss the rails at all. I first had the late 80's Venture trunk, but I wasn't able to mount speakers on it, so I got the Harley trunk. The Venture trunks "lines" matches the Nomad better, but I couldn't mount speakers to it.

dantama
08-25-2008, 09:56 AM
Here's mine with my own designed rack and lowered grab rails.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/dantama/trunk%20and%20rack/c21e56bd.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/dantama/trunk%20and%20rack/IMG_2048.jpg

Cajunrider
08-25-2008, 09:41 PM
I built my rack similar to Dan's but used 1" x 3/16" flatbar for the hoop instead of 3/4" pipe. I brought the rack to a chrome plating shop today and will post pictures of it with the Mutazu trunk after installing them. Grab rails remained in place. I'm going to take a chance on the Pewter Pearl matching my Titanium on my `07. Hope the gamble pays off. Thanks again Dan for the pictures.