PDA

View Full Version : Went to Fast Eddies

watchman
08-18-2008, 11:59 AM
Fast Eddies is a Biker bar/grill in Alton, IL. We rode down from here in Macon with a small local group consisting of 2 Harley's, 2 Honda's and Liz and I on our Nomads. The group leaders wanted to ride over into IL and go down hwy 100. OK, I am just along for the ride. We cross the Mississippi river using the hwy 54 bridge at Louisiana, MO. and head on east. Just outside of Pittsfield a deer jumps out of the ditch in front of the leader and we have a near miss event.

Pull over in Pittsfield to find out no one knows for sure how to get to Alton going this way! Out comes the maps. Cut down IL hwy 108 heading south and could tell the leader was just unsure and uncomfortable. Trees and corn fields where right up next to the road, in short he was still shaken up about the deer.

Out of the blue we pull over and he tells me to lead, like I know where I am going! Good thing I had been paying attention where we were and watching the road numbers. I got us back to hwy 100 and on down to Alton only to find out that now, no one knows how to get to Fast Eddies!!!

Just as you are coming into Alton on hwy 100 there is a bill board stating straight ahead to Fast Eddies 1 mile. A mile and a half later I am asking some bikers how to get to Fast Eddies. Another 1/8 mile and a second bill board stating Fast Eddies 2 blocks ahead.

So we made it. The food would have been great if it was not for all the SALT on it. All the better to drive up your thirst! The band although very good was way to loud. Who would have thought something like that would happen in a biker bar? The place was full of (are you ready?) red hat old ladies, Church patrons with suits and ties, uppies in polo shirts and short and yes about 100 bikers. It took about 1/2 hour to get our orders. But there are popcorn machines all over the place with yes free SALTY popcorn.

Anyway finished lunch and headed home. We left Macon at 8:30 am the got back at 8:00 pm. Run about 400 miles. Liz broke her bike (see V & H Baggers broke post in Blowndodge garage section). But what the heck, another great day on the bikes.

roadman
08-18-2008, 10:30 PM
I always wanted to ride to Fast Eddies....from Washington IL it would be about 175 miles one way. I did ride down to my dads house in Salem mo in late May.

scion0
08-19-2008, 01:15 PM
I always wanted to ride to Fast Eddies....from Washington IL it would be about 175 miles one way. I did ride down to my dads house in Salem mo in late May.

Let's set it up Roadman!!

roadman
08-19-2008, 06:26 PM
Sounds good to me ScionO

revmrq
08-19-2008, 07:01 PM
roadman, next time your in Salem, let me know. I live about 50 miles from there. Did you ride down hwy 19 towards Winona? Thats a great ride on a bike, going through the National Scenic Waterways.

roadman
08-19-2008, 08:32 PM
Yes i did ....i rode down with a couple riding buddies.WE went through Herman mo and on down......i wanted to take them down hwy 19. I will let you know next time i go down to salem
Are you a native or did you move there from another state?

revmrq
08-20-2008, 08:16 PM
Born and raised in New York, but Missouri is Home Now. I live between Success and PLato, if you know the area.

roadman
08-20-2008, 09:01 PM
Ok your over kinda by licking.

08-21-2008, 07:51 AM
I was born in Jeff City.Still have two uncles in Eldon.

revmrq
08-21-2008, 08:15 PM
I'm about 20 miles from Licking.

I go to Eldon at least twice a year, our Church camp is near there.
Did you know that Eldon was the inspiration for the show Petticoat Junction? I read that in the Springfield paper a few years ago.

roadman
08-21-2008, 10:27 PM
I didn't know that.