PDA

View Full Version : Changed oil using screen - shavings

mncruiser
08-15-2008, 01:06 PM
Finally decided to try using the alternate oil drain using the screen thing and there was a good amount of metal shavings on it so I am betting I am the first to crack this bolt. One thing I was not prepared for was when the bolt was loose, it and the spring came right out and my first instinct was to grab them. Yeah the oil was a bit hot but I was concerned about loosing what pieces/parts would come out to the drain pan. http://s2.images.proboards.com/tongue.gif

I was lucky enough to get the filter loose by hand but it took all I had to do so. I need to get a strap wrench or something. I have a cap thing that fits on the end of the filter good but damn goats belly prevents you getting the socket wrench on the cap! http://s2.images.proboards.com/angry.gif:(" title=">:(" border="0"/>

dantama
08-15-2008, 03:18 PM
I use channel lock pliers to take the filter off.

blowndodge
08-15-2008, 03:45 PM
you should only tighten it as tight as a strong handshake. If it's tight enough that it won't drip, its tight enough. I just put a new one on recently real loose on purpose. Well not real real loose but no tighter than putting a lid back on a jar and its dry as a bone after 1K miles.

macmac
08-15-2008, 04:05 PM
BD is is a little scarey how loose these should be, but they can be looser than that and stay put. I stop about 1/2 turn after contact. This scares me, but over a few runs it gets hard to get it off just the same.

The fact it is loose makes me check it and the oil....

I bet you are like me in that we worry the filter will vibrate loose and fall off..

mncruiser
sounds like you got a virgin to me.. That plug bolt is softer than the alloy case so watch it when you snug it down. It is realy easy to shear the threads. About wrist tight with a short wrench left handed does it if you are righty..

There will always be something in the screen, unless you quit riding the bike..

mncruiser
08-15-2008, 04:45 PM
mncruiser
sounds like you got a virgin to me.. That plug bolt is softer than the alloy case so watch it when you snug it down. It is realy easy to shear the threads. About wrist tight with a short wrench left handed does it if you are righty..

Yeah when I held the bolt in my hand, I was surprised at how little it weighed for it's bulk and knew it a softy. :)

donguer
08-15-2008, 06:06 PM
Can anyone provide a pic showing where that bolt is?

nomad
08-15-2008, 06:58 PM
i believe you are talking about the oil screen in the bottom of the engine with the drain plug not far from the regular oil drain plug? i missed that one the first time i changed my oil. i will try to remember it the next time!

kawgirl
08-15-2008, 08:48 PM

Here ya go.
http://www.gadgetjq.com/vulcan_1500_oil-sys.htm

donguer
08-16-2008, 07:12 AM

Here ya go.
http://www.gadgetjq.com/vulcan_1500_oil-sys.htm

Thanks

macmac
08-16-2008, 08:47 AM
This is the absolute low ponit where 'we' can drain the very most oil. I have never placed any wrench on the real drain.

There are just 2 cautions.. 1., don't put the spring in backwards, sealed cap end first is BACKWARDS. 2 Is don't even think to over tighten it.

The good thing is if you do, the engine threads will be ok, but messey to clean with q tips, dental picks, and pipe cleaners (smoking pipe pipe cleaners)

This type of thread shears easy, and you won't know it, as you snug down untill suddenly there is no more resistance. Doing the snugging with your weak hand is plenty tight.

fish
08-29-2008, 12:51 PM
I Just changed the oil for the 1st. time myself. I took the plug out for the screen and no O-ring on the plug or on the seat or in the oil, drain pan, nowhere to be found. Good thing I bought one.
On the brighter side the screen was clean so I guess the dealer use the screen plug to drain the oil like I told him to do. Maybe he just assumed the O-ring was still on the plug :-/

beezer
08-29-2008, 12:59 PM
I think if it wasn't there it would leak real bad Larry

fish
08-29-2008, 01:16 PM
I looked everywhere and no can find. The cap is recessed for the ring and the new one fit right in there. I'm not worried now.

rlfaubion
08-29-2008, 01:47 PM
I stripped the threads on the engine casing of the drain plug and had to insert a Helli-coil. I do not remove it any longer. I drain with the screened plug for all oil changes. I've had to replace the screen plug when my bike was on the lift behind my bus (stopped), and the winch cable broke, dropping the bike about three-feet, and shearing off the screen plug. Quite the mess in the RV parking lot that day :)

beezer
08-29-2008, 09:42 PM
what a bummer that must have been Ron, did they call Hazmat?

rlfaubion
08-29-2008, 10:21 PM
No, I was in Nevada and they're a little different over there. I had a shovel and a bucket and with a field of sand fifty foot away, I made enough trips necessary to gather enough sand to soak up the three quarts or so. The park folks were real good to me about it and said they could handle it from there. You're so right about it being a bummer though. I'm just glad there wasn't more damage. These scooters are a little big to drop three foot from the ground. Good news is it took it....

audiogooroo
08-29-2008, 11:06 PM
Me thinks this is where the handle "Valdez" comes from. :)

rksaw
08-30-2008, 03:41 AM
Oh AG, that's messed up...no pun intended!
Rich
V, That is a bummer.

mcdaddy
08-30-2008, 12:09 PM
<blockquote>I was lucky enough to get the filter loose by hand but it took all I had to do so.</blockquote>
Even though I just hand tighten my filter when I put it on, it typically takes more grip than I can muster to take it off at the next change.

I found that putting a large stainless hose clamp around the end of the filter gives me a bit more bite on the grip.
http://www.supplierlist.com/photo_images/74527/Stainless_steel_quick_release_hose_clamp.jpg

mncruiser
09-01-2008, 08:36 AM
<blockquote>I was lucky enough to get the filter loose by hand but it took all I had to do so.</blockquote>
Even though I just hand tighten my filter when I put it on, it typically takes more grip than I can muster to take it off at the next change.

I found that putting a large stainless hose clamp around the end of the filter gives me a bit more bite on the grip.
http://www.supplierlist.com/photo_images/74527/Stainless_steel_quick_release_hose_clamp.jpg

Good idea!