PDA

View Full Version : '99 Nomad Backfiring & Oil Pump Gear

sfisher59
07-15-2007, 11:47 AM
Hi,
I've got a low mileage '99 Nomad in great shape, all stock.
It is obviously running lean. After riding it a few miles,I get the coolant light lit, and then it backfires, and stutters.
Coolant is new, oil is fresh synthetic.
I pull the choke on a bit and that helps, but it is not a solution.
I was wondering what jet size I should be running? We're at about 900' above sea level in the Twin Cities area.
Any ideas, links or past experiences appreciated.
Thanks
Scott in Mpls/St Paul , MN

Top Cat
07-15-2007, 05:54 PM
I would call my dealer and ask. Thay should have the information your looking for.

sfisher59
07-15-2007, 08:06 PM
I did some more digging and found two good articles online.

I pulled off my carburetor this afternoon; just enough to get a look for the pilot mixture screw.

Sure enough, it was still stock with the anti-tamper plug installed over the screw. I drilled out the cover, and removed it. I measured the stock setting at 1 7/16 turns. I turned it out to 2 1/2 turns, and re-assembled the bike.

Took it out for a spin in the 85 deg weather, and it is 90% better. No more backfiring, or stuttering, but the coolant light will come on momentarily if I run it hard. (winding it up through the gears, 4000 rpm or so). Seems fine for normal riding. I'll ride it for a week and see how it
works.

The article called for changing the main jet to a 170; I'm not sure yet what stock is...
Right now, I'm thinking about 1 or 2 jet sizes larger should do it.

07-15-2007, 09:26 PM
Glad you got it almost all better! Wish I could help, but I take mine to the shop for every little thing......

vaughn
07-19-2007, 08:31 PM
First thing is to find out why the temp light is on. It has nothing to do with the back fire. Are you sure the fan is working? Is the coolant level where it should be?
Has the oil gear been changed from plastic to steel? The 1999 Nomads had a plastic oil gear that can and will fail. That is a very bad thing.

Vaughn
1999 Nomad

sfisher59
08-02-2007, 04:56 PM
I'm thinking the coolant light is coming on because the bike is running lean.... I haven't got around to changing the main jet yet.

I've heard about the oil pump gear, but I've never heard, or seen a direct quote from anyone it's happened to. It's always " a friend of mine", or "I know a guy that it happened to", etc.
The other part of this is that Kawasaki will fix it, whether it is under warranty or not.

So what do you do? Install Judges' gear, and kill any chance of getting it repaired at no cost, or take your chances and leave it alone?

I've chosen the latter, as I ride around town... If I was taking trips, I might do something different. ...... What about the rest of you guys with 98 & 99 Nomads. What have you done? Has the gear failed on your bike?

nightflight1
08-02-2007, 05:13 PM
I see you are from the twin cities area and it's supposed to be cooler there than in South Texas, but this year that has not been an accurate statement. I run V-Twin Mobil 1 synthetic 20W50 year 'round down here. I would think you would be safe to run that in the summer up there too, might help the heat build up in the engine. Also, check that fan like someone above me suggested, make sure it is running when it is hot.

dogdoc
08-16-2007, 08:36 PM
NF: Where can you buy V-twin Mobil1 synthetic oil in TX? is this the same oil as Mobil 1 found in Wal-mart or is that automotive use only?? I'm in Austin, TX. ThX

Doc