PDA

View Full Version : Black Hills Rally 2008

namvet
08-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Made it back from Bike Week. We did just over 2800 miles from Fort Wayne, IN to Custer SD and back. We left July 30th and had to meet some other folks in Worthington MN on the 31st. So we had about 700 miles, but had two days for the ride, so we stayed on back roads, letting the ZUMO direct us. No rain and good weather that first day, spending that first night in Galena, Ill. The next day we hit hard rain and cross winds in Iowa and had to pull off into a gas station to wait out the storm. Once it passed we then took off for Worthington, MN, checked into the motel and waited for the other crew of four riders to show, all from Elkhart, IN and all at least 25 years our Junior. They arrived a few hours later, but they were towing their bikes on a trailer. Seems they got cold feet at the last minute, this being their first trip and all. They said they would be up to leave and ride at 6AM, well at 6:30 AM they were still sleeping, so my pard and I fired the bikes up and pulled out onto the road, I saw one guy looking out the window from his curtain as we pulled out...lol
Got into Custer that evening and went to the KOA to set up camp.
Keep in mind that the last camping we did was a good twenty years ago. That first night told us both that camping and sleeping on the ground was not something two AARP members wanted to do. We then found a motel in Custer for only $77.00 per night and checked in for the rest of our stay there. The other crew was staying at the Super 8 in Hill City and were paying $180.00 per night, so all in all we old guys did pretty good. Spent the rest of the time driving around, checking things out and spent a lot of time in the State Park and badlands area. I have tried to post pixs here thru photo bucket, so I hope everything works.

http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/kk219/efotnamvet/Sturgis%2008/

Yellow Jacket
08-12-2008, 09:30 PM
Glad that you had a good and safe trip! I enjoyed your pictures.

Uh, wouldn't mind being introduced to your "little sister"! ! ! :) :)

ells
08-12-2008, 11:33 PM
Sounds like you had a good trip. I know what you mean about sleeping on the ground, I kept getting thicker and thicker ground pads and then gave up. You were lucky to get a motel at that time for that price. Now that we know that you know your way to Custer, will expect to see you there next June.

pirate
08-14-2008, 10:47 PM
I want to meet your "little sister" too!

dantama
08-15-2008, 10:44 AM
Had to go see what the 'sister' talk was about.

I'm thinking that at our age we'd have to be millionaires or senators to get with his sister :)

08-19-2008, 09:45 PM
nice...

Where does the line start to meet your sister?

rickyboy
09-17-2008, 04:53 PM
Hey namvet,
I enjoyed the pics. and the photo of your "sister"?
How long were you gone for? You sure seem to have a lot of gear. Did you have cooking gear for camping? I had a tent and sleeping bag and ground pad but I didn't have the load you had. One extra "dry bag" for the sleeping bag, tent,and ground pad,.... attach'd on to the rear seat. And that was for 2 wks. I guess I just pack light.

namvet
09-19-2008, 12:08 PM
Just there for a week and no cooking equipment. Had the sleeping bag behind me for back rest and then a travel bag on luggage rack with the tent (large one with 7 foot center) on top of the travel bag. Also had coleman 8inch high air mattress (Twin), along with a mallet to pound stakes, air pump for mattress, DC lantern..etc. Then I always carry my half helmet, rain gear, gloves, hot weather head gear ( the kind that soaks up the water), sun screen and leathers, just in case......lol

chainsaw
09-19-2008, 02:15 PM
You gentlemen really think you could handle the little sister?

rickmeister56
10-18-2008, 05:51 AM
not really. but at my age its nice to dream.

dogdoc
11-13-2008, 01:07 PM
+1

Netnorske
11-13-2008, 08:51 PM
I long ago decided sleeping on the ground was a pleasure best reserved for drunkards and prisoners... http://s2.images.proboards.com/tongue.gif!

Since you know your way around the neighborhood, you'll have to come be a tour guide for us next June at the National Rally! Glad you had a good, safe trip.