PDA

View Full Version : NOVA SCOTIA / CABOT TRAIL TRIP

flightdoc
08-10-2008, 07:06 PM
Hello fellow Nomadders,

Denise and I just returned from a week of riding throughout Nova Scotia and the famous Cabot Trail.
Our trip included rain each and every day. With that said we were so impressed with that region that we'd return there in a NY minute.
Even with all the rain, the place is absolutely beautiful. Traffic was all but non-existent, roads were in good condition and the locals are some of the friendliest folks I've ever met. ( next to kawanow folks of course) If you like seafood, there is no better and that's coming from a seacoast New Englander.
We rode from home ( New Hampshire) to Saint John, New Brunswick and caught the ferry to Digby, NS. About a 3 hour ferry trip. I know....A three hour tour. We had to ride about 400 miles the first day. can you say buttitist!!We left home at 6:30am and had to catch the ferry at 3:45pm. 370 miles just to the ferry. the ferry drops you in Digby, Nova Scotia.
Digby is supposed to be the Scallop capital of the world.
Halifax, the capital, reminds of Montreal city a bit. Nice place for a city. many interesting things to do. There's a boardwalk on the water front that had many interesting places along it.
We stayed in a town called Baddeck on Cape Breton Island which is were the Cabot Trail is located. I kept thinking that Nova Scotia was and island. It looks like it on a map but is not. Cape Breton is an island connected by a causeway and is in the northern region of Nova Scotia. Baddeck is avery pretty town and is home to the Alexander Graham Bell museum. Very informative place.
The Cabot trail is 180 miles of riding pleasure. Hills like a roller coaster in one place then twisty's like you read about. Numerous pull off scenic areas. We saw moose, deer, hawks and bald eagles many times.
Every where you ride is a picture post card.
When I get a chance I'll try to post some pic's. If you have and questions about our ride please ask. This is how we all find out the good and not so good places to go.

Vin ( flightdoc)

ringadingh
08-11-2008, 08:15 AM
Its one of the best places that Ive ever visited, I found it to be everything you said it was as well. One of my favorites,was the empty highways. I was there in a motorhome, but I want to return with the bike someday. Baddeck is also home to the only saltwater lake in North America, we also camped there. I was on vacation last week and wanted to go back there, but my wife said if she can't come along , then I can't go either. I stopped in a fishing village called Margoreet, and had a large tub of clams and a 3 1/2 lb lobster all to myself. It was beautiful having dinner by the seashore. Now I have to make a point of returning again.

flightdoc
08-11-2008, 11:35 AM
I assure you ringadingh you won't be dissapointed. I've heard NS is one of the best rides on the entire eastern seaboard....now I can verify, it is.

08-11-2008, 02:21 PM
Oh, yes! Do post the photos!

Sounds like a real adventure to me.

macmac
08-11-2008, 07:53 PM
This loop must be done Clock Wise. The way Baddeck is said is Ba' Deck. The place is Gods Country for sure... In Sept -Oct you gotta look out for Fog big time! From the most nothern tip of Cape bretton you can see the rock Newfondland. The best place is Meat Cove, but the dirt road to there is difficult.

If you do the trip right, you might stay with locals free. The best way to do that is talk to them. They will openly invite you for so many days as you wish, and take care of feeding you and any laundry. I send a bottle of grog to a old man McDonald each x-mass for his outstanding hospitality, as he gave us a whole 'Victorian House' to use witha 80 gallon water heater for free.. I had to fight him to keep that damned water heater OFF.

Those folks have no idea what a New York minute is, so don't go nuts when they act like they have time. They do.

flightdoc
08-11-2008, 08:04 PM
macmac,

Yes sir..clockwise is the traditional direction and that's what we did. The fog started early this year. We'd be riding down a sunny beatiful little two lane road and then suddenly it's gone!! FOG.
We started out for meat cove but stopped and asked a local the road conditions and were told to turn around. With all the rain the dirt road was gone.
I believe the locals would open their homes to you. They are the nicest folks around.
Yes Ba'deck.

vin

ringadingh
08-11-2008, 10:09 PM
I did the counter clockwise tour , I liked being on the outside edge. ;)

dantama
08-12-2008, 10:08 AM
Because that is a part of the world I know nothing about, I'm looking forward to you posting pics. Sounds like a great time.

Now Ring, just where do you think the name Salt Lake City, Utah comes from :)

08-13-2008, 01:11 AM
Evidently Utah has finally been evicted from North America!

flightdoc
08-20-2008, 10:19 PM
Fianlly got around to loading some pic's of our trip.
Enjoy

vin & Denise

http://ournovascotiaride2008.shutterfly.com:80/

dantama
08-21-2008, 10:26 AM
Nice pics, I love to see other people's trips.

Top Cat
09-15-2008, 05:19 PM
Great pics Vin.
It's nice to see how much other people enjoy riding as much as Cindy and I do http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

ringadingh
09-15-2008, 07:47 PM
Those where some great shots you took. Some of them looked familiar from when I was there a few years ago. You can't help but have a great trip out in that area. The people you meet down east are the freindliest, most down to earth you could ever meet I love the moose pics.

Yellow Jacket
09-15-2008, 08:20 PM
Ahhhh, thanks Vin! I really enjoyed viewing the pics!

ells
09-15-2008, 11:20 PM
Nice pics and looks like a fine trip. Just how close were you to the moose? I take it she had no calf with her.

misunderstood
09-16-2008, 04:35 AM
Great pics !! Thanks for sharing.

chainsaw
09-16-2008, 03:29 PM
I was wondering about the moose myself.

flightdoc
09-18-2008, 04:16 PM
I was 10 feet max from the moose. One other biker was taking pictures, no problem, then a car load of kids showed up. he other biker and I looked at each other and both of us said "I'm outta here"

novijoe
10-29-2008, 05:50 AM
I was in Maine on my trip east and rode past the ferry to Nova Scotia going into Bar Harbor. I wanted to go check it out but we got shook down on the way back into the U.S. in Niagara Falls NY. Seems someone out there has the same name and warrants for his arrest so they stopped us. I wouldn't have minded so much except I had a couple of Cuban stogies stashed in the pack. Talk about nervous! As soon as they found out I wasn't the guy they wanted they let us ride on. Looks like I will have that problem anytime I cross the boarder. It puts a damper on things that's for sure. But I'd still like to ride there someday.

darthvulcan
10-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Great pictures of some very familiar scenery.

Made that trip around the trail several times, but next summer will be our first on the Nomad. And rain gear is certainly money well-spent! http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

flightdoc
11-06-2008, 12:54 PM
Darth,

Thanks. It is an amazing place. We want to return very soon. Can't imagine what it's like in nice weather. My wife did an awesome job with the camera on the back of a moving bike.

vin