PDA

View Full Version : Hey...you guys with fairings!!!

nighthawk11
07-31-2008, 12:15 PM
How's the buffeting compared to the windshield?
Thanks...

scion0
07-31-2008, 01:47 PM
Do the fairings make you look more like HD's? I get that mine does (till they look at the bags) and I don't have a fairing. Just curoious.

nighthawk11
07-31-2008, 02:38 PM
I personally couldn't care less about looking like an HD. I do like the idea of having some tunes for those long rides, maybe some additional gauges, because I like shiny things that light up at night. I'm hoping someone with a fairing will let me know how it is, as compared to a windshield.

davidjones1
07-31-2008, 04:06 PM
I have heard that it does help. I have one but have not got it on the bike yet still need to paint it as well as the new tour pak, was looking for the same thing as you, good tunes and more gauges, power supply etc... hoping what I have heard about the buffeting is ture.
ride safe

hollywood
07-31-2008, 05:29 PM
I've had mine about a month and I only have gotten to ride it two or three times due to trips and a hurricane, but so far I really like it. I have the Premeux and it matched perfectly (paint wise) I did have shipping damage to the fairing which Premeux said they would make good but I haven't heard from them since. I'm gonna call them soon.

I get lots of compliments. Love the radio. Didn't make it any heavier that I can tell. The buffeting is maybe a little less but then it didn't really bother me much before.
Hope this helped

dano
07-31-2008, 05:55 PM
Something's wrong with the site. I've tried 3 time to answer this.
This is the fourth. Yes it's better. I have a Quadzilla on my Nomad and ride an 05 UltraClassic too. Beat a windshield any day of the week.
This is lot shorter than what I've been typing but I'm tired of it not going thru.
Ride safe,
Dano

ringadingh
07-31-2008, 08:45 PM
Riding with a fairing is no different than without as far as handling and buffeting go. If its a windy day youll get blown around the same either way. However the fairing does add a lot more wind and rain protection over a windsheild only bike. It also gives you the opportunity to add gauges, a stereo, speakers, and a host of other items to make riding more comfortable, especially on long rides.

VulcanE
08-01-2008, 12:24 AM
I really love my fairing. I have the Premeux, and a lot of the Harley accessories bolt right on. I have a 10" light smoke windshield and the wind that hits you as you ride is a lot less. To keep cool in the summer, I have to take my fork mounted lowers off so I can get some wind to hit me. I am a smoker, and I have no problems going down the road smoking. I also have the Kury dragon wings, and they block off some of the wind too. You can open and close them to adjust wind flow. I LOVE my "tunes" too, and I don't think I will have another bike without a fairing or trunk on it.

nighthawk11
08-01-2008, 07:18 AM
After doing some looking, I'm leaning towards the WideOpenCustom fairing. Mostly because of cost. These things are expensive. The only thing I don't like about what I've read so far, is the uselessness of the CD player. How do the other fairings match up as far as riding with the CD playing? I wanted to add some additional gauges, but most aftermarket fairings seem to leave little room for that.

dragon57
08-01-2008, 09:35 AM
I used an HD batwing (cheapest way).
Not to look like HD, but I'm on a budget!
I don't have any trouble with buffeting, but I wear a half helmet most of the time. I wear a 3/4 helmet when it's raining, and I notice some buffeting then.
All in all, I hope I never have to go back to just a windshield again; I love the tunes on long rides, and I am a gauge junkie, too!!
just my 2cents!!

nighthawk11
08-01-2008, 11:37 AM
Hey Dragon57, I'm starting to lean more towards the HD as well, again, because of cost. What did you get? I look at the ones for sale on Ebay, and it just confuses me. I know they come in two pieces, but what model am I supposed to be looking for?
Thanks...

jeffm
08-01-2008, 04:40 PM
The year will depend on whether you make brackets or buy them. This is where i got my brackets. http://www.vulcanbrackets.com/ My fairing is an outer fairing only & it is off an 06 harley.

nighthawk11
08-01-2008, 05:29 PM
I'm going to buy brackets as well. I'm looking into the '96-up FLHT inner and outer fairing.

jeffm
08-01-2008, 09:15 PM
The guy that makes the brackets i bought is a very busy person. I think he is a college proffesor & it takes a while to get them . So give you're self plenty of time if you buy from him. The brackets are very well made & worth the money in my opinion.

nighthawk11
08-10-2008, 06:40 PM
Got my outer fairing Friday. Looks good. Will only need some very minor work before paint. I'm still shopping for an inner fairing. I also went Lee Sido's website, asked he contact me via email, but haven't heard anything yet. Anyhow, after looking at various sites, I'm very confused as how this will eventually mount.

dragon57
08-11-2008, 10:36 AM
Nighthawk;
I used 2003 Ultra classic inner and outer from ebay.
go to gadgets page for general in stall directions, it's very helpfull!
I made my own brackets from 3/16"X1 1/2"(I think) steel bar stock. It's not hard, just time consuming.
Good Luck!! ;

dragon57
08-11-2008, 10:43 AM
Nighthawk;
One thing I forgot to mention- the Harley inner fairing has a strange size radio opening; unless you're using an HD stereo, you'll need to visit Hawg Wired to get a bezel to re-size it to single-din car stereo.
http://hawg-wired.com/
that's what I did, and bought a single-din marine stereo w/50W X 4 channels. I used 3 1/2" marine speakers where HD puts their speedo and tach, and 5 1/4" marine speakers in regular holes.
Also; I bought a powered, hidden antenna, that fits inside the fairing; works great!!

nighthawk11
08-11-2008, 02:16 PM
Hey dragon57, do you have a template for those brackets? Is it possible you could post some pics so I can take a look at how the fairing mounts?
Thanks...

nighthawk11
08-11-2008, 09:35 PM
went to the Hawg-wired site. Did you get the bezel or the radio cradle?