PDA

View Full Version : Where Are You Touring in 2008?

vroc13091
03-20-2008, 11:42 AM
Spring Has Sprung -- Summer Ride Plans

Just as gardeners are preparing the ground to plant seeds for the summer crop we could be planning for our summer rides. Except for you retired folks, most of us have limited time off and have to jiggle the vacation days to be able to make our summer tours.

Where are you going this summer?[/*:m:ekorlwp2]
Is there going to be a big one?[/*:m:ekorlwp2]
Are you going to include a KawaNow gathering to meet and get to know other members?[/*:m:ekorlwp2]

Over the past few years I have been fortunate to have had the opportunity to attend several VROC gatherings. This has allowed me to get to know fellow VROCers and established some rewarding friendships in that community. I hope to replicate that here within KawaNow community.

Here is a list of my 2008 ride plans. Hopefully I will have an opportunity to meet many of you at one of the gatherings or somewhere along the way.
Txcwdancer 2008 Touring Plan
April 17-19 <UID>]DFWVROC Texas Hill Country Ride (http://www.dfwvrochcrxi.com:[/*:m) Fredricksburg Texas
April 24-28 <UID>]Texas VROC Meet in Big Bend (http://www.texasvroc.org/MIBBindex.htm:[/*:m) Alpine Texas
May 15-18 <UID>]Southeast VROC (SEVROC) (http://www.sevroc.org:[/*:m) Maggie Valley NC
June 11-20 Personal Tour Ft. Wayne, IN (Conference), Niagara Falls NY, Washington DC[/*:m:ekorlwp2]
June 20-21 <UID>]KawaNow Eastern Rally (http://www.kawanow.org/rally2008.htm:[/*:m) Elkins WV.
June 26-28 <UID>]KawaNow Central Rally (http://www.kawanow.org/rally2008.htm:[/*:m) Eureka Springs AR
July 17-20 <UID>] Wolfman’s Wandering Rally (http://www.oregontrailvroc.com:[/*:m) Coos Bay OR -- Will also stop off and visit grandkids in Pocatello, Idaho
September 18-20 <UID>] VROC Reunion (http://vroc-reunion.com:[/*:m) Eureka Springs AR

So where are you touring this year?

I invite each of you to Post Up so maybe some of us will be able to meet-up somewhere along to way.

cactusjack
03-20-2008, 12:12 PM
My schedule thus far:

June 19-21: KawaNOW Western Rally, Mesquite NV
June 21-24: Salt Lake City, UT (personal vacation)

There may be more to come. One of my buddies is planning a ride to Durango, CO in July, but I didn't list it as the dates aren't set in stone yet. Oh, and I want to do a weekend ride to Albuquerque sometime this summer.

flightdoc
03-20-2008, 12:23 PM
First week of August, wife and I are going to Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island.

vin

MarkG
03-20-2008, 12:28 PM
Mesquite obviously, I am looking forward to meeting a few of you. Then later in the summer, maybe around September as it starts to cool down, I will take a big one. I'm considering a 3,000 mile loop from AZ to the Silverton, CO area; Rapid City, SD to visit some family; maybe Yellowstone; the Moab, UT area; and back into AZ. I'll have about three weeks to take my time and do whatever I want. Most likely it will be a solo run. The wife isn't into riding and she has all sorts of travel plans and places she is going this summer. I still like her statement, "We spent a lot of money on that bike, you need to be out riding it."

For the ones that picked up that I am going to the RC area; no, I will not go to Sturgis in August. Grew up in RC, and I have no interest in going to rush hour traffic after dealing with it in the Phoenix area year around. Since the kids have gone back to school and tourist season is over, it will be light traffic while I am there. Much more pleasant for tooling around the Black Hills area on a motorcycle. (Also, the prices are much more reasonable.)

Throughout the summer I am planning a few ad-hoc weekend trips. No clue as to where other than probably north to get out of the 110 degree temperatures for a day or two. I do subscribe to the theory about picking a direction rather than an actual destination. I have seen a lot of beautiful country because I didn't plan a specific route.

waterman
03-20-2008, 01:46 PM
Me,

Really only have 2 planned right now.

I have a business meeting in June in Rapid City. Will drive the bike up and take a long weekend. This happens to be the same time as the Central Rally. However, the Aztec Rally for VROC is that same time so I will get a couple of days there.

Also the VROC Reunion in Eureaka Springs in September. See you there Burt.

Top Cat
03-20-2008, 02:03 PM
As it stands right now, we will be at Americade in Lake George ,NY for 3 days and a definate trip to Cape Cod Mass. No time set for that. Possible trip to see my son in Indiana. No exact time set.
I have a few over nighters planed on my Streets and trips program also.

cactusjack
03-20-2008, 02:35 PM
The wife isn't into riding and she has all sorts of travel plans and places she is going this summer. I still like her statement, "We spent a lot of money on that bike, you need to be out riding it."

Now that's a refreshing point of view. Mark, does she have a sister http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

rlfaubion
03-20-2008, 04:52 PM
Jun 19-21 KawaNow Western Rally
July 17-20 Wolfman’s Wandering Rally Coos Bay OR

Others to TBD later....

03-20-2008, 08:43 PM
I gotta work for a living so no major touring for me.

But I promised my wife I'd take her to the Grand Canyon, and perhaps I'll get to ride Zions with the KawNOW group about the same time.

(Assuming I can convince my wife to ride across the desert in the summer.)

03-20-2008, 10:31 PM
That sounds like a lot of fun Markg. I don't have any major trips planned. Next month I'll take 3 days and go to laughlin, NV for the bike rally and then the Western rally in June at Mesquite/Zion. Next year I'd like to take a week and do the Oregon Coast.

audiogooroo
03-20-2008, 11:15 PM
I'll be at Mesquite for sure. But I have one heck of a summer at work. Several jobs all hitting at the same time will make it difficult to get away. I'll probably take a week off in July. I wanted to hit the Coos Bay VROC rally, but with only one week off I need to be with the wife and family. While my wife will ride with me, I don't think there's anyway she would do a cross country trek. But we'll see. I may do a couple of short overnighters or 2 or 3 day runs.
Maybe get wolfman to meet me in Silverton and we'll ride 550. Amazing ride that I did last year and I want to do it again. It's about halfway between us.

lw
03-21-2008, 04:28 AM
The Central Rally will be the first leg of my vacation trip. From there I'll head to visit friends in southern Nebraska, then on to see Custer's Battlefield, Mt Rushmore (4th of July fireworks), Yellowstone and other points of interest before pointing my windshield South again for the trip back to Houston.

Idaho
03-21-2008, 02:40 PM
First two weeks in June I plan a round trip to Ohio and back to Idaho. May swing a wide loop and go south on the way there and north on the way back. Also plan to attend the Mesquite Rally. (if you guys need me to bring my purple stole to hear confessions you will need to let me know ahead of time. I'm just sayin', a few may need to get something off their chest) Other than that just a few short 3-500 mile days around the area.

cactusjack
03-21-2008, 04:19 PM
First two weeks in June I plan a round trip to Ohio and back to Idaho. May swing a wide loop and go south on the way there and north on the way back. Also plan to attend the Mesquite Rally. (if you guys need me to bring my purple stole to hear confessions you will need to let me know ahead of time. I'm just sayin', a few may need to get something off their chest) Other than that just a few short 3-500 mile days around the area.

What happens in Mesquite, stays in Mesquite. Unless I have my camera handy.

buck
03-21-2008, 08:47 PM
Week April 06 -BRP to Natchez Trace
June 16-July 15 - Chapel Hill NC to Bend Oregon

Buck

jrd
03-22-2008, 11:50 AM
Planning on taking off on June 2nd, heading west through Wisconsin, Minnesota, and then into South Dakota where we will stop at MT. Rushmore, Little Big Horn, etc, and then head out through Montana, then to Yellow Stone National Park, and then to Billingham Washington. We may come back through Canada but we haven't decided yet. We are planning on being gone for 14 days.

John

03-22-2008, 01:48 PM
If you go to bellingham take hwy 20 through Washington for sure! VERY SCENIC. Stay on 20 for a few extra miles instead of getting on I-5 and drive over deception pass onto whidbey island. (Not reccomended if you are afraid of heights - Very narrow, very high bridge)

MarkG
03-22-2008, 02:48 PM
jrd, and others going to SD. A must stop is Wall Drug, in Wall, SD about 50 miles east of Rapid City. Free ice water & $0.05 coffee. Buffalo burgers are good and the donuts are to die for. They also have the better quality and good prices on souvenirs. Read the history of Wall Drug @ www.walldrug.com (http://www.walldrug.com) and you will realize why the business marketing model is still taught at Harvard and the other business schools. Every time I go back up home, to Rapid, I always make a trip to Wall. It will be a nice break from an otherwise boring trip across the hot SD prairie.

Caution about speed. Between Rapid City to east of Ellsworth AFB about 10 miles the speed limits are strictly enforced. Air Force personnel and everybody that lives out there drive a little too fast. The highway patrol makes a fortune on tickets in that section. Throughout the Black Hills area, you are fair game for contributing toward the local coffers, take your time and let the other tourists pay the tickets.

03-22-2008, 04:23 PM
Ohio early summer, then Pennsylvania for the Vulcan Riders National rally in mid July. Other than that would like to fill in some of the blanks on my map.I hope to meet some of you rascals along the way this summer.

coacha
03-22-2008, 04:48 PM
Wife and I are planning on going the Eastern Rally in June, maybe go to Ohio while we are up that way too. Other than that, don't really know where I may end up going. I think I may take a solo trip somewhere, just because.

Once I get the hitch on and all wired up, we are going to a concert/camping in April but that is here in Florida.

buckeye
03-24-2008, 10:50 AM
Definately Eastern Rally. Smokey Mtns end of June (local bike buddies annual trip). Getting together group to try the Skyline and Blueridge Pkwy sometime July or Aug. Would like to get together with meanstreak and/or Idaho when they come to Ohio this summer! Let me know when and where and I'll be there.

03-24-2008, 11:40 AM
There is no way Idaho can get to Ohio without going my way.

rflnomad
03-24-2008, 07:34 PM
Darn. Don't mean to be a downer here but it looks like this is years number four in a row with no trip.
Money is tight, but we are doing OK. Things could be a LOT worse. Everything is current but we are nervous to do anything until some things are paid off ( Nomad for one!)
Maybe a weekend trip to the Tennessee property for a quick break in May.
2009 will be a better year for us.

MarkG
03-24-2008, 09:52 PM
rflnomad, kidding aside, been there done that. My wife is looking over my shoulder and wants to make sure you are told not to be discouraged. We weren't in trouble and doing okay, just nervous and didn't want to take any chances. Interesting it was several years for us, too. Be patient, not getting in a hurry is one of the reasons I was able to buy the bike and looking forward to some enjoyable traveling.

fish
03-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Other then WV. hopefully. Only short trips. north central Pa, finger lake region. one nighters. Because of the dog.
rflnomad, pets can and will tie you down just like children :'(

pick187
03-25-2008, 04:06 PM
Weekend of April 19th Ozarks
weekend of July 11th Rocklahoma
Weekend of July 31st Breckenridge CO

More to come

03-25-2008, 10:08 PM
Well its official... I'm going to ride to colorado for an overnighter july 18-19. Hopefully meet up with audiogooroo and ride 550. A guy I work with wants to come too. After that trip I'll have ridden in 10 states. Maybe dan lund can come too if he isn't doing anything.

audiogooroo
03-25-2008, 10:38 PM
Well it official... I'm going to ride to colorado for an overnighter july 18-19. Hopefully meet up with audiogooroo and ride 550. A guy I work with wants to come too. After that trip I'll have ridden in 10 states. Maybe dan lund can come too if he isn't doing anything.
I've got it in my calendar wolfman. Looking forward to it.

03-25-2008, 10:40 PM
Ells is over there somewhere too isn't he?

audiogooroo
03-25-2008, 10:42 PM
Ells is over there somewhere too isn't he?
Yep, Ells is just a bit NW of me. Dan is straight north.
Maybe we can turn this into a mini-rally. http://s2.images.proboards.com/cheesy.gif

03-25-2008, 10:49 PM
Sounds good to me. I'm going for sure no matter who ends up comming.

audiogooroo
03-25-2008, 11:03 PM
Me too man.

dantama
03-27-2008, 10:52 AM
I missed this thread till Wolfman pointed me to it in another thread.

Sounds like a great time. I'd love to go.

audiogooroo
03-27-2008, 01:17 PM
Let's make it happen Dan. It'll be a great time!

ells
03-27-2008, 07:59 PM
[quote:qwnhwqvs]Ells is over there somewhere too isn't he?
Yep, Ells is just a bit NW of me. Dan is straight north.
Maybe we can turn this into a mini-rally. http://s2.images.proboards.com/cheesy.gif [/quote:qwnhwqvs]

Will see how that could work out, it is a great ride.

04-09-2008, 12:55 AM
I am going to Pennsylvania July 15,16,and 17 for the Vulcan Riders Association 2nd annual national rally. Anyone who rides a vulcan is welcome whether they are members of VRA or not. That should be reasonably close to quite a few of the riders here.Would really be cool to meet some of you since I won't be able to make the rallys in June.

wanderer
04-09-2008, 10:43 AM
audiogooroo - got room for another rider on that trip??? Could you PM me the details of when, route to ride, etc. ???

audiogooroo
04-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Absolutely Wanderer! Message is forthcoming. :)

misunderstood
04-11-2008, 04:35 AM
May 8-15 TN to NM and back to check on my Aunt.

Top Cat
04-11-2008, 08:54 AM
meanstreak031, where is that rally located in Penn. ???

fish
04-11-2008, 11:32 AM
TC... Its in Carlisle Pa. Its just west of Harrisburg

Top Cat
04-11-2008, 01:55 PM
Thanks fish, I'll check my map. http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

misunderstood
04-12-2008, 05:16 AM
TC... Its in [size=100:g66a3e0m]Carlisle Pa.[/size:g66a3e0m] Its just west of Harrisburg

That's where I catch the turnpike off of I81 to head to my brothers in Levittown.

04-12-2008, 08:20 PM
That would make a nice trip from Nahsville..........

bigjohn
04-13-2008, 07:51 PM
Hum...where am I going this year? Very good question.

As much as I'd like to put faces to names the KawaNOW get togethers just arent' going to happen for me this year. Besides, I'm a little too "new" to this board and I've already committed to the BTK ride at Red Lodge in July. Perhaps next year.

So, that makes two rides this summer for me:

BTK Red Lodge get together in July. Followed in September by BigJohn's Monumental 60th Birthday Bash Run, even though my BD isn't in September.

Then in between Red Lodge and the BD Bash we're planning on a number of weekend trips to either the Okanogan, the coast or along the Columbia. I want to do a number of three day weekend camping trips with my wife.

So far, it is shaping up to be a great riding summer.

hollywood
04-24-2008, 09:57 PM
I will be attending the ROT rally in Austin and then we are leaving from there to Eureka Springs Arkansas. 10 Day trip thru the Ozarks. Hell just getting out of Tx is 2 days

audiogooroo
04-24-2008, 10:43 PM
I hear ya hollywood. I did a job in Denton last year and it always amazed me how many people I met who were from so far away....but still in Texas!

04-26-2008, 07:07 PM
Well, I had big plans this summer, but looks like I'll be touring the inside of my house, since gas went through the roof !! http://s2.images.proboards.com/shocked.gif

watchman
05-01-2008, 03:53 PM
Well is seeams we are going to be missing more than we are going to get to go. Missing the Spring Fling to go to niceses graduation. Missing Boscobel to go to a family reunion. Going to KawaNOW Central Rally in ES. Going to Wolfman Wandering Rally in Coo's Bay. Going to VROC World Reunion in ES. Anything else will just be long weekend trips around MO, IA, IL and AR the rest of the year.

ezzer
05-05-2008, 04:43 PM
This week the wife and I will travel through Route 6 in upper PA.

oledawg
05-05-2008, 05:40 PM
This week the wife and I will travel through Route 6 in upper PA.

;) Looks like your in for a great ride. Wellsboro & the Pa. Grand Canyon are always a must for us in spring then again in the fall.
Enjoy & have a safe journey. http://s2.images.proboards.com/cool.gif

Top Cat
05-05-2008, 10:01 PM
Ole Dawg, I just checked my trip planner and the Penn. Grand Canyon is only 191 miles from me. Is it worth the trip? Cindy and I are always looking for new places to see.

popey
05-06-2008, 12:35 AM
Last week of May going to the Smokey Mountains for a week with my brother-in-laws. Leaving May 26, from Louisiana going up Natchez trace and plan on riding on the Tail of the Dragon.

misunderstood
05-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Last week of May going to the Smokey Mountains for a week with my brother-in-laws. Leaving May 26, from Louisiana going up Natchez trace and plan on riding on the Tail of the Dragon.

Welcome from East TN 1st time poster. (Home of the Dragon)

justbrian
05-18-2008, 11:26 AM
lady and I and planning a tour of breweries and wine making places by bike. It will be regional. in September were thinking. Most of what we want to see wil be in the west of NC and VA. not a benge drinking trip just have a love for micro brew beer. the wine place is for her.

namvet
06-09-2008, 12:35 PM
Sturgis, SD leaving Fort Wayne, In on July 30th.