PDA

View Full Version : Scraping floorboards?

07-12-2007, 09:48 PM
Do any of you guys scrape your floorboards occasionally?

I've only had my '99 Nomad 1500 a few months and have yet to scrape my floorboards.

I rode a 2000 Roadstar Silverado 1600 for quite a while before trading it for my Nomad. I used to scrape once in a while going through turns and curves.

I don't know if I just don't trust how far I can lean the Nomad yet,
or if the clearance is such that it won't happen in normal riding.

How far can Nomads lean with a 150 tire up front?

Nico

rzuni
07-12-2007, 09:54 PM
I just bought my nomad and have about 7000 miles on it and have not scraped once. Not sure why but I do have a tendency to lean pretty far.

07-12-2007, 10:13 PM
Hey Rocky.....

Thanks for the reply. It must not be the 150/80/16 tire up front then 'cause the newer ones have a 130/90/16 I believe....?

My Shadow 750 ACE and Roadstar both sraped occasionally.... what did you ride prior to your new Nomad?

Nico

07-12-2007, 11:31 PM
Noo... I lost my mind again... new ones have 150's still... don't know what I was thinking... again.. (turned 50 the other day).. that explains it.

bluetongue
07-12-2007, 11:55 PM
I drag my floorboards from time to time. I do believe it is caused by going thru a turn way to fast. But it sure is fun http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

trip
07-13-2007, 10:18 AM
Scrapped my boards for the first time at Deal's Gap. Scared the h@ll out of me the very first time, after that it was a joy. Now, I scrap every now and then. The problem about scraping on a Nomad is knowing when to let up. If you lean too far you can dig a trench in the asphalt and possibly take your bike down.

I have heard of those who have scrapped too deep and caused them to do a "low side".

ponch
07-13-2007, 10:39 AM
Also known as doing a Poseidon. I leaned my 800 over enough on a left turn to pick up the rear tire a bit. Not good. Too much weight on top causes a lot of momentum. With the Nomad, I'll pass.

Scrapped my boards for the first time at Deal's Gap. Scared the h@ll out of me the very first time, after that it was a joy. Now, I scrap every now and then. The problem about scraping on a Nomad is knowing when to let up. If you lean too far you can dig a trench in the asphalt and possibly take your bike down.

I have heard of those who have scrapped too deep and caused them to do a "low side".

07-13-2007, 11:43 AM
Thanks for all the input... you guys are great! Nico

07-13-2007, 01:11 PM
When I first bought my '06 I noticed that the floor boards don't fold up very far. It had me a little concerend about levering a tire so I lowered it onto its side while it was parked in the garage just enough to let the floor board touch just to check things out and make sure the engine guards wouldn't scrape first. Looking at it visually my first thought was "holy crap, there is no way I'd ever lean it that far!" It looked like it was practically on its side. Call me a wus but I still have never scraped and not so sure I really want to! Keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down.

waynem
07-13-2007, 01:31 PM
I have scraped many times, but the way to prevent it is to tie a bell on the floor board mount, when it tingle-tingles, you are darn close to scraping and need to slow down and stand her up.

Semper Fi!!

07-13-2007, 01:37 PM
Well truth be told, I kinda would like to scrape just to know I'm getting the most out of my bike and I've tried a few times I just can't get myself to lean it that far. I always feel like the tires are going to wash out from under me. I am a pretty new rider I only have about 2000 miles on the bike - I'm sure I'll get more comfortable with it as time goes on.

07-13-2007, 02:07 PM
The bell on the floorboard mount is a great idea!!!

dragon57
07-13-2007, 04:06 PM
I manage to scrape mine at least once per outing in the mountains; like trip said; deals gap is known to get me a-scrapin'

nightflight1
07-14-2007, 08:33 AM
Well, I did scrape once, and I don't even try to get that low anymore. Just does not seem safe for me. I would think riding 2-up you would have more of a tendency to scrape, especially if you don't have enough air in your rear shocks. You guys just scrape all you want, think I'll pass from now on. If I scrape again it will be unintentional.
Wayne
Night Flight

dip
07-14-2007, 04:05 PM
i've actually scrapped mine a time or two. not intentionally, but i think i 've grown accustomed to a natural lean - hence the name dip. i think my msf instructor yelled at me so much regarding countersteering that i tend to take a turn with this in the back of my mind.

jmorrow
07-14-2007, 08:14 PM
Hey all, I have scraped my floorboards several times on my 04 Nomad and it still causes me to get cold chills but, like Bluetongue said it sure is fun http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif. Up until this year my wife and I rode two-up but, she bought her own bike in Oct. 06 and that cured alot of the floorboard drag for the Nomad. We too have been down the Dragon and I drug my right floorboard a couple times. Whats worse my wife's crash bar scraped the pavement in a curve with a dip, I was in front of her about 60' and heard it scrape and I think it scared me worse than her because I thought she had went down. http://s2.images.proboards.com/shocked.gif

waynem
07-14-2007, 10:31 PM
The trick to the bell is to tie it at a point on the frame that will tingle before the floor board hits. Every one tends to turn tight right because they have better throttle control and tight turns left give you better clutch control. I tied the bell to the right brake spring pin and it worked fine. The scrape would be right after the tinkle tinkle.

Semper Fi!

finky
07-16-2007, 08:13 PM
Nothing better than a good scrape I have replaced my scrape blocks 2 times this year,
great fun I am thinking of adding Titanium bolts just to spark it up a bit.
The only down side was the scrape along the bottom of both pipes,I don't go down that far anymore.(-:

07-30-2007, 07:41 AM
Don't remember if I already posted this.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo

Someone sent me this when I asked about scraping on Delphi..... Goldwing..

Turn the volume up!

Nico

blowndodge
07-30-2007, 10:48 AM
Man, my ol' lady would never ride with me again if I did that on my Nomad! That guy on the Wing is crazy to ride like that! I've only touched once or twice and I felt I was really cranked over! I was surprised I could lean the bike that deep in a turn. I take it easy from now on!

07-30-2007, 08:35 PM
Still haven't scraped on the Nomad........ and I've leaned pretty far...... the Roadstar definatley would have scraped... Oh.... off the subject; I read the "Darkside" thread on Delphi about the guys putting car tires on the Vulcan 2000's.... probably something I would do if I could!

Here's on Valkyrie: http://lifeisaroad.com/stories/2004/10/27/theDarkSide.html

175/55/16 hmmm.... http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=921088&Main=920388

blowndodge
07-30-2007, 11:58 PM
I've been looking at the car tire thing for 6 months now. I would do it if I could find one in the size that would fit the Nomad. Not much room for more than a 180 tire. A 180/70-16 would be good but I haven't found one

07-31-2007, 12:47 AM
The closest so far is:

Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD07
(Extreme Performance Summer)

Sidewall Style: Blackwall

Size: 175/55ZR16

Not a chance for my 1500...

dano
07-31-2007, 06:04 AM
Nico, I traded an 04 1600 Classic in on an 06 Nomad last year and have never scraped the floor boards on either. The Classic has a 130 up front and my Nomad the 150. I practice the "Ride Like a Pro" techniques now and then just to keep up the skills and still don't scrape. Not sure of the reason. I use to scrape the ElectraGlide Standard boards and my last Honda Shadow's pegs, on a regular basis but the clearance don't seem to be any different.
Ride safe
Dano
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/omega5m14/Babyin06.jpg

07-31-2007, 06:09 AM
Dano, The "Ride Like a Pro" videos are great...... always good for a refresher.
Very purdy bike~!

Nico

bluetongue
07-31-2007, 08:14 PM
Ya I have seen those vids and they are great. I get a lesson from my Mother every time I see her. Ya I know that sounds funny but she is the rider educator for her GWRA chapter. She wins all kinds of awards from GWRA for the classes she gives to her chapter and others. Ya I got a Cool MOM.

07-31-2007, 10:10 PM
That is very cool!

dogdoc
08-04-2007, 04:39 PM
I got an '05 Nomad and so far have not scraped either board with 1 or 2 up riding. I like that.

Doc

dip
08-04-2007, 07:32 PM
wow - just saw the wing; no way, kept waiting for him to go down. doubt he has anymore floorboards left.

lw
08-04-2007, 09:33 PM
Only scrape I have was from cranial rectal inversion (riding with my head in my backside). I looked down where I was in a turn and not where I wanted to end up. As a result I got precariously close to the outside curb. The sphincter factor was high enough that I'm not in a hurry to hear metal scraping again either intentionally or accidentally.

unwind2
08-04-2007, 11:13 PM
Only scraped mine once - accidentally.

My hubbie was taking me to pick up my bike we that had left to be serviced. I started having a BAD gallbladder attack while riding pillion on his Wing. (I knew I shouldn't have eaten that big slice of cheese pizza) He could here me moaning and I looked like ....well I looked bad. Being a nurse I knew it was my gallbladder but he thought I was having a MI so he poured on the juice. We were in the mountains and he was scraping right and left...trying to get to the next town or at least somewheres where he could pull over. You can guess what happened...sick anyway and all the up and down curves.....I tossed the cookies all over both of us....or all over our leathers....had my gallbladder out two days later.....that was a lot of fun. http://s2.images.proboards.com/tongue.gif

vulcanvixen
08-05-2007, 11:59 AM
Unwind2 - you deserve an exalt for that story!!

unwind2
08-05-2007, 10:48 PM
vulcanvixen- When he finally found a place to pull over I jumped off the bike as I was once again.....losing my lunch http://s2.images.proboards.com/tongue.gif.....and just layed down on the ground and told him to leave me there :'(.
We were in the middle of nowheres.....of course he refused and after a bit I climed back on the bike. We made if to the dealer...who knew me and said to my hubbie 'man she looks bad take my truck and take her to the ER.' I refused since we were 4 hours from home. Said just get me to a motel room, get me some sprite and tylenol elixer. The next day I drove my bike back home, just pulled over everytime I got a pain. Made it home, called the surgeon next morn and told him I had bad gallbladder attack. We did the hydascan.....my gallbladder was function at 9% instead of the norm 60-70% ...so he yanked it out the next day. http://s2.images.proboards.com/shocked.gif

lomax
08-06-2007, 12:25 AM
...wow! glad everything worked out for you unwind! I took my son for a ride yesterday (he's about 200 lbs)....shoulda added bit of air to the suspension cause now have a ugly little scratch on my right side pipe. Pucker factor was way up there too!!!!

unwind2
08-06-2007, 10:15 AM
Thanks Lomax. The fella who owns the dealership called the next week to see how I was doing......real nice guy. He and my husband could not believe I drove my bike back home (I was determined to take my bike home) ....they said 'you're a better man than me'. LOL http://s2.images.proboards.com/cool.gif

Scratch on the pipes - an excuse for aftermarket?

tex
08-08-2007, 08:28 PM
Nothing that exciting for my scraping .... had been for a 2 up ride in the hills no problems. Scraped the right side board going round the round-a-bout just before home. Too fast too low too much fun

vulcanvixen
08-09-2007, 07:30 PM
Whew Unwind.......Kudos to you, girl!! Glad everything turned out OK in the end......

lw
08-09-2007, 10:13 PM
Scraped the right side board going round the round-a-bout just before home. Too fast too low too much fun

Roundabouts are the only thing dear Daughter has said she doesnt enjoy riding on, except for the tunnel that connects the two near me.

flightdoc
08-16-2007, 02:10 PM
I scrape mine ( 05') pretty regularly. I think it's good to know how far you can go. Never know when you may have to go that far to avoid something. When I first bought my bike I immediately rode it to a large EMPTY parking lot and began making slow ( 10mph or less) turns, as I got more comfortable I tightened them up till I I finally started dragging the boards. My wife doesn't like it either. I always get a HEY in my ear when I do with her on board.

tex
08-16-2007, 06:17 PM
You're lucky, my wife has a tendency to smack me in the back when she figures I'm getting carried away. Lucky we have to wear helmets in Australia- saves the smack round the back of the head lol

08-16-2007, 07:11 PM
I still have not scraped on the Nomad.........

vulcanvixen
08-16-2007, 11:03 PM
I've scraped twice.....and both times it surprised me 'cause I didn't think I was leaning that far! Being a fairly new rider (less than 2 years) I thought it would freak me out if that ever happened. But I felt really comfortable and secure on my bike, tho - a testament to Kawasaki handling and engineering I guess!

blowndodge
08-17-2007, 12:37 AM
I still have not scraped on the Nomad.........

Yea, but what about the floorboards??? http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

socwkbiker
08-17-2007, 02:50 PM
VV, I know how you feel about the handling of the Nomad. I've scraped too and was impressed by how the bike handled.

vulcanvixen
08-17-2007, 05:18 PM
Hey SWB.....just to clarify, I don't have a Nomad (yet). I ride the "little sister" - a 900 Classic LT. That's why I've been referring to myself as the "support vehicle" for this gang! I've ridden Nico's, tho, does that count??

blowndodge
08-17-2007, 06:23 PM
Hey wait a minute!!!! Nico's??? why that scoundrel!!! his is a 1500 and mine is a 1600.

<marquee>MINES BIGGER!!!</marquee>

08-17-2007, 09:05 PM
<marquee>It ain't the size of the motor.. it's the magic touch of the rider.............</marquee>

vulcanvixen
08-17-2007, 11:50 PM
Hey wait a minute!!!! Nico's??? why that scoundrel!!! his is a 1500 and mine is a 1600.

<marquee>MINES BIGGER!!!</marquee>

<marquee>OOOOOOOOOH BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif http://s2.images.proboards.com/tongue.gif</marquee>

blowndodge
08-17-2007, 11:58 PM
that's what I'm talkin' bout!

finky
08-20-2007, 07:55 PM
Its always good to know just how far you can go down before the rubber lets go or the metal realy touches down I scrape most times I go out and the wife has just started it on her Shadow mind you I not keen on her doing it .

08-25-2007, 12:17 PM
I scraped my floorboard for the first time yesterday. It's a sharp turn I have taken many times, but I guess I leaned more than I usually do and scraped. I picked my foot up off the floorboard as if it was what I scraped. LOL. No troubles.

08-25-2007, 10:46 PM
Thats cool Kawgirl. I'm jealous! I still haven't scraped.

08-26-2007, 05:16 AM
Well..... <marquee>I SCRAPED TODAY!!!!!! http://s2.images.proboards.com/shocked.gif</marquee>

blowndodge
08-26-2007, 04:47 PM
Yes, most of us have scraped the floorboards but Nico............OMG that ain't sh*t, he can scrape saddlebag!! you da man!!!!! Liver lip boy!! I'm going to nickname you BUD!!

finky
08-26-2007, 10:22 PM
You win Nico I surrender your the best,seriously though sorry to here about the stack hope you all get well soon.
I almost met the same demise Sunday on our famous Great Ocean road going to quick and not concentrating but I was lucky got through the corner but for a second I thought oh sh*t here goes.

08-26-2007, 10:30 PM
Glad you pulled through Finkster! http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

a340driver
08-15-2013, 08:44 AM
Check out this YouTube ... This is one of my instructors (Steve) on his Gold wing. And Yes I scraped my floorboards on the advanced course, but also burned out my clutch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xckNXj6BfBo

markclark57
08-15-2013, 07:29 PM
Shades of Rocky . . . , Let's do the Time Warp Again! That's a 6 year old thread. :ohno:

Jeffsmountainauto
08-15-2013, 07:34 PM
Video is cool though. My wife has a fit when i drag the floorboards. I usually feel it in the ribs.

cnc
08-15-2013, 08:06 PM
Shades of Rocky . . . , Let's do the Time Warp Again! That's a 6 year old thread. :ohno:

No I'm pretty sure those guys are older than that.:hmm:
Some threads are worth revisting.:tup:

davidhollinger
08-16-2013, 12:28 PM
We have only done it a few times riding 2 up. There is one off camber left hand up hill turn on a road we ride occasionally and it scrapes every time. Even though we KNOW its coming it still causes a pucker when you hear that sound. Other than that if we are scraping she is letting me know she is not happy immediately.

Jared
08-16-2013, 01:12 PM
Poor quality video, and was more to show it's easily done with a DS tire.
http://youtu.be/36rwoV_TbxQ

blowndodge
08-16-2013, 02:45 PM
I've seen Tim drag his knuckles before?? :lmao:

c_law23
08-22-2013, 09:24 AM
People complain when people don't search and create an already covered topic, then they complain if you dig up an old thread.:crazy::cheers:

I scraped my exhaust the other night leaving a parking lot with a steep entrance and the wife on the back. It's was totally because the approach was so steep, and ONLY because the approach was so steep :tup::lol:

robjob
08-22-2013, 09:45 AM
No scrapes here - but I've only had my Nomad a month. Don't feel like I have come close yet.

Torkmonster
08-22-2013, 07:45 PM
When I had my 2004 Nomad I would grind the rear acorn nut down to the pad base, Made new ones with stuff from the hardware store since Kawasaki was wanting around $10.00 each. Love to scrape, do it with my Voyager now.

danimal2
08-22-2013, 09:37 PM
Scraped my cobra pipes a number of times. It seems like they'll hit before the floorboards.

Bud2rat
08-22-2013, 10:53 PM
Scraped my cobra pipes a number of times. It seems like they'll hit before the floorboards.

Same here. I've since installed a set of OEM HD mufflers and have not scraped yet.

Idaho
08-22-2013, 11:16 PM
Have not read this entire thread but here is my answer. Yes, I scrape floorboards and the highway pegs all the time. Sweeping turns on highways, the road up to my house and just maneuvering in parking lots. It is too easy to do. Look where I want to go, push it over and roll on the throttle.

Rotoman40
08-22-2013, 11:28 PM
Scrape them all the time one up. Less two upfront ride as aggressive.

dank
08-23-2013, 10:53 AM
I never do it. Being way to aggressive if that happens!

hayes
08-23-2013, 12:16 PM
I ride a 900, but I scrape mine all the time. I scrape them doing u-turns or maneuvering around parking lots. There is nothing aggressive about it, it is about control.

Freemans1700
08-27-2013, 12:17 PM
I scraped mine for the first time on my 1700 Nomad... not gonna lie, I didn't even realize I was leaning that far and it caught me off guard. LOL. I felt it under my foot as it was scraping and I raised my foot thinking something just broke on the bike.

:)

John

DR Roos
08-27-2013, 12:21 PM
Scrape them all the time one up. Less two upfront ride as aggressive.

Same here. :tup:

dank
08-27-2013, 12:46 PM
I ride a 900, but I scrape mine all the time. I scrape them doing u-turns or maneuvering around parking lots. There is nothing aggressive about it, it is about control.

Your 900 doesn't have the ground clearance of my bike. On mine you have to be really aggressive.

canuckrider
08-27-2013, 02:41 PM
The problem about scraping on a Nomad is knowing when to let up. If you lean too far you can dig a trench in the asphalt and possibly take your bike down.

I have heard of those who have scraped too deep and caused them to do a "low side".

Uhhh, yeah, that can happen. This is what the results could look like:

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb43/canuckrider800/IMG_1256.jpg (http://s205.photobucket.com/user/canuckrider800/media/IMG_1256.jpg.html)

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb43/canuckrider800/IMG_1254.jpg (http://s205.photobucket.com/user/canuckrider800/media/IMG_1254.jpg.html)

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb43/canuckrider800/IMG_1251.jpg (http://s205.photobucket.com/user/canuckrider800/media/IMG_1251.jpg.html)

waterman
08-27-2013, 03:12 PM
On mine you have to be really aggressive.

Riding style also has something to do with it. A friend and I (both Nomads) were riding some roads up in the front range. He was scraping all the time and I never did once and we were keeping the same pace.

Chili
08-27-2013, 08:43 PM
Riding style also has something to do with it. A friend and I (both Nomads) were riding some roads up in the front range. He was scraping all the time and I never did once and we were keeping the same pace.

In that case it's likely more about line selection, it's easy to scrape when you choose the wrong line and need to make a more severe dip mid turn to make the corner.

alwhite00
10-09-2017, 12:23 PM
Was riding two up on my 1500 this weekend and first time I scraped in 7,000 miles. Came into a curve a little hot I guess.

bo1966
10-10-2017, 05:31 PM
I did all the time on other bikes but decided I like this one too much to chance it. Plus, at 50 I don't heal nearly as fast anymore

61dub
11-11-2017, 03:28 PM
I've got a 2010 Nomad. I don't feel like I'm leaning too far, but still scape regularly. I seem to know when its coming and instinctively lift my foot. The bike just handles so damn well that it doesn't feel bad to scrape, except that I'm worried I'll go too far. It's just too much fun to ride and I keep telling myself that it's not a sport bike, but the handling and power keep telling me she wants to play. So play I do!

Moriarty862
11-12-2017, 06:27 PM
I scraped the floor boards once after I first bought it then at 2000 miles had to replace rear tire and put on a wider tire(180/65) have not scraped since, not sure if its due to the tire or I just instinctively know how far I can lean

Spondulas
11-28-2017, 03:39 PM
Back in the summer, I traveled US 421 from Bristol, TN to Mountain City, TN on my Voyager with the wife on the back. Being a U S highway, I figured "how bad can it be?" I've ridden the Dragon several times and the Dragon pales in comparison to the "Snake". I didn't know about the local name until I got to Mountain City. When I finally got to Mountain City, I refused to go back to Bristol on the same road and found a less challenging route back home. When I got home and inspected the bike, I had mashed the bell under the footrest flat and the scuff marks on the rear tire indicated I had leaned to within 1/2 inch of the sidewall on both the left and right sides. The Voyager did it but it sounded like there wasn't going to be anything left under the bottom. I don't know how I kept from dumping that big bike with both of us on it but we both agreed that in the future, we'll turn around rather than travel that kind of road.

Hillhouse
11-28-2017, 08:08 PM
To me the Dragon just has better PR people and Hype. First time through it I thought I must be on the wrong road, wasn't that interesting compared to all the other secondary roads I rode to get there.

But for me the Snake is by far the better of the two roads to ride. Just got to remember chin on the mirrors into the corners to lessen the floorboard drag.

Hope you bought the tee shirt to remember the ride.

Spondulas
11-29-2017, 08:04 AM
I didn't get a tee shirt but trust me - I'm not going to forget that ride any time soon!!

smokier
11-29-2017, 05:34 PM
Haven't ridden the 'snake', but have done the dragon a couple of times. If you are in the Ozarks, take a run through "the pigtail' Arkansas hwy 23.
It is not tight turn after turn, but there are fun and challenging stretches...