PDA

View Full Version : So you think you can drive?

MarkG
07-30-2008, 04:37 PM
This is for the riders going to Sturgis, and it applies to most other areas in the US, too.

My mother and father live in Rapid City, SD. Mother has wet and dry macular degeneration in both eyes and her eyesight sucks. http://s2.images.proboards.com/tongue.gif http://s2.images.proboards.com/tongue.gif http://s2.images.proboards.com/tongue.gif

My sister sent this in her latest email about my mother. She was trying to get mom and dad somewhere and wherever they told her to go was not where they wanted to go. Then the following statement was made by mother.

"I think I could have driven. I can see the white line. But, can you see all the idiot tourists walking across 8th Street? Yes, I think I can, I just can't see the buildings to know where I'm at. ??!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's just when the light shines a certain way that I can't see. But, I can see the white lines."

Nothing was said about being able to see the signal lights at intersections. I know from previous conversations that she has trouble seeing them, too. I dread to think about how many red lights she has not seen. Thank god their car is in the shop getting fixed at the moment. Hopefully my mother and father will not be on the road during bike week.

I am going to try, really try, to convince her to give it up when I get up to SD in September. Maybe seeing me in a helmet, gear, and a new motorcycle will help. I am not holding my breath. Until there is an accident forcing insurance cancellation, amongst whatever other penalties, I don't think I am going to be successful. Even with her crappy eyes she can still pass the eye test.

There was another thread about the sport bikers dive bombing us. At least we know they are crazy. This scares me more, there are a lot of people on the road like my mother, especially out in the rural areas.

For everyone that is traveling this summer, watch for the telltale signs of confusion. These drivers may be looking at the white lines because they cannot see anything else. They are not as easy to spot as the dumbo with a cellphone plastered to their ear. Ride safe!

glwilson
07-30-2008, 07:04 PM
While this may sound harse; you can notify the Sec. of State in her state of residence to let them know you do not think your mother is a capable driver any longer due to medical reasons; and may be a hazard to herself and others.

If your state is like Illinois; our Sec. of State, Jesse White, takes such statements very seriously and has the ability the intervene in such a matter. Additional testing may be required by the state prior to her normal "re-testing" to which she may not pass (especially when they know the "problem") -- thus helping to diminish the possibility of your mother causing harm. I do believe; but do not quote me; that your mother will not know who informed the Sec. of State. Do your mother a favor and check into this for her -- and others that may come to potential harm.

I feel like I need to apologize for posting this; but many people are facing the same situation with elderly parents this day and age. My mother is 80 and I fully understand your concern for her and others. My mother wouldn't intentionally hurt anyone -- she is like "Aunt Bee" on Andy Griffith -- seriously -- but she still thinks she can do certain things; of which I know she cannot. Good luck and hope nothing serious happens.

07-30-2008, 07:53 PM
My mom is 79 and she's blind in one eye and half blind in the other. The dang DMV had tested her vision and said she could drive as long as she didn't drive on the freeway!

It was nonsense. Her reflexes were so bad she could never have avoided trouble. She can hardly read the numbers on the speedometer. Finally I just took her car keys away and said, "Mom you're a danger to yourself and everyone on the road. You don't want to hurt anybody. You'd never forgive yourself."

She didn't like it, but after a couple days she accepted it. I had her sign the car over to my sister, and that was the end of it.

It sucks, but I had to do it. I'm responsible for her.

pirate
07-30-2008, 08:41 PM
Mark, sorry to hear about that situation. My grandmother had the dry version of macular degeneration, and my family went through the same battle trying to get her to stop driving. It finally got to the point that my dad just sat her down and said that it's over. He took the keys and sold her car. I think it was probably one of the hardest things he's ever done in his life, but it was necessary because it was just a matter of time before something horrible happened. It makes me very conscious of who can be driving, because we have a lot of stubborn Norwegians up here who don't want to give up their independence. Ride safely, everyone.

chainsaw
07-30-2008, 10:39 PM
I had to do the same with my Mom. Taking the keys away was like telling her that her life was over. She lost her independence. But it wasn't to long before she stopped hating me and found friends to drive her around. They do get over it. That was at 78 and she passed away at 86. I know it would upset me too, but after you consider it, it would be the right thing to do.

07-30-2008, 11:38 PM
...makes me very conscious of who can be driving, because we have a lot of stubborn Norwegians up here who don't want to give up their independence....

The whole incident with my mom made me very conscious of who the DMV will issue a license to, and it's really pretty frightening. I'm sure there are people out there driving who are just as bad off as my poor mom; and we share the road with them every day. ::)

phenrichs
07-31-2008, 02:39 PM
I live in SD and can tell you that you can get assistance from the state to keep her from legally driving. I have a friend that has very bad eyes and has already been informed by her doctor that she will not be allowd to renew her license when it expires in two years because her vision will have deteriorated that far. If you know her eye doctor they can give you forms to send to Pierre to the DMV office.

phenrichs
07-31-2008, 02:47 PM
Sorry forgot. Here is a link to South Dakota department of regulation that handles motor vehicle licenses. It may provide you with some information. I know it seems harsh and is difficult to tell a loved one that you are going to take away some freedom because of their age or health but like you said it may save someone's life.

http://www.state.sd.us/drr2/revenue.html

I hope this helps.

(Note: I do NOT work for the state)

MarkG
07-31-2008, 04:05 PM
Primarily I wanted to remind everybody that there are a lot of elderly drivers like my mother. Motorcycles, pedestrians, etc., are not even a blip on their radar. They are driving following the white lines. It is up to us to watch and get out of their way.

I did find out that my mother has restricted herself to church, the drug store, and the grocery store within about two miles of where she lives. Usually she tries to stay off the main drags and only go at certain times of the day. However, a good many sight impaired drivers see no reason whatsoever that they should be more careful where they go.

I am hoping that my sister and I can get her to voluntarily give up when I go up in September. That will keep the hard feelings to a minimum. We could only hope for another harsh winter. The changing front lines really play havoc with her arthritis and other ills. She can't get in or out of the car at all. Particularly after last year she was considering it was time to get rid of it.

Then there is the official route. However, we tried that in SD with my grandfather and it didn't work. Until they have some kind of disqualifying reportable event, there is no evidence there is a problem. Even if the family doesn't think they should be on the street anymore.

Like I said in the original post, the people with the cellphones, laptops, reading a book, etc., are easy to spot. We know they are just outright brain dead. Many of the elderly drivers are more careful than we are when it comes to driving. The ones that are difficult to spot are the people following the white lines because they really cannot see anything else. Just another reminder that we have to be extremely observant while we are riding.

rksaw
08-09-2008, 03:24 AM
I saw a smaller car (Honda Fit?) going South on Hwy 101 and the driver got the entire car to the right of the white line riding the shoulder before he figured out he wasn't paying attention.

I work with teens and keep reminding them not to text and drive. It is amazing how so many think that they can do everything they normally do with their cell phones while they are driving!