PDA

View Full Version : Fork oil change

elguapo
02-15-2021, 01:31 PM
Looking at replacing the oil in the forks of my 2011 Voyager Abs. Not long ago I replaced the steering neck bearings and that would have been the right time to do that, but I didn't.

Aside from removing the forks from the bike, how difficult is to remove the old oil and replace it with fresh 15WT?.

smokier
02-15-2021, 04:09 PM
Greetings,

No too bad. Leave em hang upside down over night of course.
Pay attention to the measurements on each side - be equal.

I did it without pulling fairing. Pull front tire, pull fender, strap up calipers, loosen pinch bolts, slide forks down and out.

The hard part for me was getting the caps off/out so I could get spring/fluid out. Assembly was easier.

Ride safe,
Smokier

redjay
02-15-2021, 05:42 PM
It is usually easier/best to loosen the caps while the forks are still on the bike ?

smokier
02-20-2021, 07:17 AM
It is usually easier/best to loosen the caps while the forks are still on the bike ?
:cheers::D That would have required P.P.P.P.P.P.P. on my part. :wtf:
(Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance [or Preparation])

Ride safe,
Smokier

spby52
02-20-2021, 07:55 AM
:cheers::D That would have required P.P.P.P.P.P.P. on my part. :wtf:
(Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance [or Preparation])

Ride safe,
Smokier

:yep::yep: funny stuff.....

Sabre-t
02-20-2021, 10:25 AM
Invert and pump the forks to get the oil out from the bottom. Turn upright, put an ounce or so of clean oil in, pump to agitate in the bottom of the fork to remove sludge that settles down there, invert and pump and drain. That will get sludge out of the bottom of the fork that simply inverting and draining will not.

buckey1313
02-21-2021, 04:01 AM
I am only recommending not saying you have to but while you have those forks apart why not spend the extra the roughly $129.00 bucks and change up those crappy forks springs with progressive unit. You will be glad you did as what a smooth ride they give and one day when those hard tail rear shocks go you can also change up to progressives. Makes allot better ride and handling.

elguapo
02-24-2021, 12:21 PM
I am only recommending not saying you have to but while you have those forks apart why not spend the extra the roughly $129.00 bucks and change up those crappy forks springs with progressive unit.

I tried looking it up online but there are so many choices. Which springs fit the Voyager?

redjay
02-25-2021, 09:53 AM
Are you looking at the Progressive (brand name) website ?

buckey1313
02-25-2021, 09:58 AM
Unfortunately Progressive or Ohlin and nobody else makes a replacement spring for the Vulcan line up except for one that drops the front end by 1 inch. Weird this bikes been on the market for years and lots of them out there so I cannot understand why no one makes a replacement at all.

redjay
02-25-2021, 11:14 AM
When I did some work done on my Nomad forks I used Race Tech parts.

My stock Voyager was better than the modified Nomad.

https://www.racetech.com/ProductSearch/12/Kawasaki/Vulcan%201700%20Voyager%20(VN1700)/2013

smokier
02-27-2021, 07:10 AM
Unfortunately Progressive or Ohlin and nobody else makes a replacement spring for the Vulcan line up except for one that drops the front end by 1 inch. Weird this bikes been on the market for years and lots of them out there so I cannot understand why no one makes a replacement at all.

You can use a piece of PCV, about 7/8" in length to set on top of the PROGRESSIVE spring. You'll get the ride height back, maintaining the angles and geometry.

This was actually a tech tip in the package with the Progressive springs purchased for my 1500.

Ride safe,

mbarr10
02-27-2021, 12:37 PM
Spot on Smokier.:tup:

I saw a vid ( maybe it was Delboys Garage) or maybe?? Could have been a tip I picked up here from Dragonlady. I am thinking though hers was, for removal of fork seals, But I do remember a PVC tip.

MVA-Voyager
03-08-2021, 11:48 AM
I did a fork oil change on mine late 2019 when I did the steering bearings. I found it ALOT easier to get the fork cap off while the forks were still on bike. Just be careful when removing the forks out so you don't spill. An like-wise when putting them back in.

I went with a 15# weighted oil and between new oil and the heavier weight, it did improve the ride

mbarr10
03-09-2021, 02:12 PM
I did a fork oil change on mine late 2019 when I did the steering bearings. I found it ALOT easier to get the fork cap off while the forks were still on bike. Just be careful when removing the forks out so you don't spill. An like-wise when putting them back in.

I went with a 15# weighted oil and between new oil and the heavier weight, it did improve the ride

What was the brand of oil? All 15 weight fork oils do not seem to be the same. So I have read here. Many times.

Thanks,
Mike

redjay
03-09-2021, 06:27 PM
What was the brand of oil? All 15 weight fork oils do not seem to be the same. So I have read here. Many times.

Thanks,
Mike

Use the 15w oil of your choice. My choice is Belray.
I tried 15w in my V Star along with Progressive Springs and found 15w to give a harsh ride.

10w (the recommended oil ) gave a better ride.