PDA

View Full Version : Slip On Exhaust Question

MustangFever83
07-17-2020, 06:45 PM
Just a quick question, and I've tried to use the search button but didn't come up with anything.

I saw people mention that a new exhaust gasket is needed if you put on the V&H slip on or any other brand of slip on mufflers for the Vaquero?

I plan on purchasing the V&H pipes when I hit my first service interval.

Also, where can I find the O2 sensor eliminator plug?

Peg
07-18-2020, 07:23 AM
I've had my slip-ons off more than once, and changed them out entirely twice (I've had Cobra and now Freedom Performance slip-ons on there), and not yet have I had to install new gaskets. So far, they've stayed stuck to the header pipes, and not been damaged at all when I've removed the mufflers.

I just rummaged through my containers of various bolts & found one that fitted the O2 bung. Cut it down very short, found a washer to fit it.. Job done.

Old Bear
07-26-2020, 10:49 PM
First time I changed slip-ons, no issues. Second time, the gasket had stuck to the pipe on one side and to the slip-on on the other. End result, that sucker shredded like a slinky on crack! Try a pair of these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZQQCO1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), cheapest I found. If you don't need them, you can send them back.

buckey1313
07-27-2020, 04:04 AM
The Freedom True Duals are the best out there for fit and finish. They are also the best out there for sound. Yes they are loud but boy do they rap nicely when you apply the power to them. The 1700 with Freedoms you will never regret. Lots of different tips for them also and if you do not like the loudness of the pipes you can purchase QUIET BAFFLES for them. I approve them above all others wow are they great.

MustangFever83
11-13-2020, 03:14 PM
Do any of you guys have videos of your freedom slip ons?

buckey1313
11-13-2020, 03:26 PM
go to Konto1313 on YouTube and you can see Freedom True Duals and the Cobra Exhausts in many of my vids on my bike. Let me warn you now as I said above the Cobra Exhausts are a bit different now in build I am told they have cheapened them taken out the center rib at back of exhausts and the chrome I am told is really lousy on them. I found no faults with the Freedoms they were like a piece of jewelry.

Ponitail
11-14-2020, 09:01 AM
I had no problem with the muffler gasket the first time I changed tires. The second time though was like Bear's. The gasket literally shredded. I solved that by using anti-seize on both sides of the new gasket before installation. I'm now on my fifth set of tires and haven't had to change a gasket since I used the anti-seize.

On the mufflers I can only give you my 2 cents. I have the Cobras with the scalloped tips. They have a great sound in my opinion. When you crack the throttle she'll bark quite well and get your attention. Just ask my neighbor. The first time I started it after Ivanizing and installing the Cobras, she opened her door and screamed at me: "You're rattling my windows!" Being the bitch that she's been to us for the last 20 years and the asshole I can be at times, I just hammered the throttle again and she slammed her door shut. At highway speed it's noticeable but not so much that I can't here my tunes. I s'pose 400 watts helps with that.

As far as rust, my factory mufflers started to rust pretty quickly. I also caught a little rust on the Cobras a few months after riding. I just check them every time I wash the bike. If I start to see a little surface rust, I clean it off with some fine steel wool and re-wax them.

buckey1313
11-14-2020, 09:10 AM
Rust has been a problem on Cobra pipes either the new style or old style. I had the old style they also showed up rust at times. I again must say I doubt if you will see rust show up on the Freedoms at all I never had any in the time I owned my bike. Yes I must admit the Cobra's sounded not bad but ohhh the Freedoms sounded ever more sweet a bit lower of a growl and the perfect growl if you ask me.

DragonLady58
11-14-2020, 10:39 AM
+1 on the anti-seize on both sides of the gasket. I use the VersiChem HiTemp copper formula anti seize....works well, keeps gasket attached to headpipe.
But any copper coat anti seize will work, permatex makes it, so does lubriplate and others...:tup:
Also apply on your your slip fit joint where the muffler slides on, and when the tips/baffles slip in really tight. Will keep you from scarring up your chrome when you have to remove these, helps keep these joints rust free and serviceable.
I used this for 20+ years on my Harley pipes so I could take my fish tip paucho mufflers off my ElectraGlide when I worked on my bike....they were show chromed, fit tight as hell. 1st set, I put on, didn't have to remove them for over 4 years....they were pratically welded to the head pipes because of the corission and heat....

Lumberjack
11-18-2020, 08:52 AM
Freedom "quiet baffles" are not quiet by any means - they are not simply obnoxiously loud like the stock ones :tup:

The Freedom True Duals are the best out there for fit and finish. They are also the best out there for sound. Yes they are loud but boy do they rap nicely when you apply the power to them. The 1700 with Freedoms you will never regret. Lots of different tips for them also and if you do not like the loudness of the pipes you can purchase QUIET BAFFLES for them. I approve them above all others wow are they great.

elguapo
11-18-2020, 04:32 PM
My other bike (Yamaha) came with Cobra slip ons, they're definitely louder for my taste that's the reason I'm going with Vance & Hines on the Voyager.

Peg
11-18-2020, 07:43 PM
It's generally accepted that the available slip-ons for the 1700 go from Cobra (slightly quieter), through V&H (louder), to Freedom Performance (loudest & deepest).

That's certainly my experience, having tried Cobra and Freedom Performance myself, and had a side by side comparison (while I had my Cobra's) with another Voyager fitted with V&H.

I like the sound of the FP the best... although I wish they weren't quite so long. Aesthetically both Cobra and V&H look more like they belong there.

elguapo
11-19-2020, 02:39 PM
It's generally accepted that the available slip-ons for the 1700 go from Cobra (slightly quieter), through V&H (louder), to Freedom Performance (loudest & deepest).

I want pipes that provide a little rumble but not that loud at higher speeds. My Yamaha has a nice rumble at stop signs / red lights / stop-n-go traffic. My only complaint is that at higher speeds ( freeway ) they're too loud for my taste.

For the Voyager which is quieter Cobra or V&H?.

MustangFever83
11-28-2020, 04:49 PM
Many thanks to all of you guys for the tips. I just installed the V&H slip ons and they sound amazing. Just the right tone and sound for what I was looking for. Turns out one of the gaskets seized to the stock muffler and luckily I bought a set of gaskets from amazon. Lubricated it with anti-seize on both sides and both V&H pipes slid in nicely! Plugged up the O2 wire with an eliminator. Install was very easy!

Next stop, Ivan Tune!!

Chuck A.
11-28-2020, 07:49 PM
Good deal. I have a set of V&H slip-ons with less than a thousand miles on them hanging on the shop wall. My engine has so much more low end torque with the stock system. Also, the Ivans program does away with the O2 sensor and most all of us really like the way the engine performs.

The Black Knight
12-04-2020, 03:23 AM
... I just installed the V&H slip ons and they sound amazing. Just the right tone and sound for what I was looking for....

I agree with you.:tup::tup::wave:

elguapo
12-11-2020, 05:41 PM
Good deal. I have a set of V&H slip-ons with less than a thousand miles on them hanging on the shop wall.

If you decide to sell let me know.