PDA

View Full Version : Regional mini-rally discussion

cactusjack
07-14-2008, 04:44 PM
The Southwest Region is geographically large and due to the time and expense involved, I don't know how possible or practical it is to try and rally everyone together more than once a year.

I'd love to be able to attend the NorCal bash in the Sierras, but just can't make it work. I'm guessing there are others in the same boat.

So...I propose we do more frequent, but smaller "mini rallies". The concept is simple. Try and plan rides and get-togethers that are within a days ride for attendees. This way, we could plan them as 3 or 4-day weekends.

Example: San Diego/Los Angeles, Albuquerque, and Las Vegas are all within a day's ride for me.

All KawaNOW members and their guests would be welcome, but the target is really smaller groups within a day's ride of the destination.

So toss out some suggestions with the above criteria in mind, and let's see if we can put something together for late summer or early fall.

blowndodge
07-14-2008, 05:01 PM
that sounds like a great idea Scott!

did I just say that??? http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif I need a beer

waterman
07-14-2008, 07:01 PM
I agree with ya CJ. Maybe have one on the eastern side and one on the western side. Heck, I looked at what it would be for you to drive to say Cortez or Durango and you have a shorter trip than me and I never leave the state.

07-14-2008, 07:07 PM
That's the problem we have here too. It's a big place.

Friends call me from New York and say, "I'm flying into San Francisco. You wanna have lunch?" oblivious to the fact that I'm in California but I'm 4 hours from San Francisco.

...Unless you get in to San Francisco around lunchtime & then it's 5 hours.

ells
07-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Sounds like a good idea CJ, it is a lot of traveling, not that there is much wrong with that. Although, I put nearly 40K mi on my first bike and never left Colorado, except to flip just across the border into Wyoming where that part looks a little bit like Colorado. Now have Nomad, will travel far!

audiogooroo
07-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Good idea Scott. Although "a days ride" is subjective. :)
I mean, it's one thing for one rider, but if you ask Chuck Burt what his idea of a days ride is...wow!
For me, 500 miles or less constitutes a day. Although I have done more, and am willing to do so again depending on the destination (and the people there lol). If I do 700 miles in a day I'm pretty whipped when I arrive.

07-14-2008, 08:57 PM
Yeah, 400, maybe 500 miles solo or 300 miles packin' a passenger is about the daily limit for me, but it depends a lot on the roads & the weather.

cactusjack
07-14-2008, 11:19 PM
Good idea Scott. Although "a days ride" is subjective. :)
I mean, it's one thing for one rider, but if you ask Chuck Burt what his idea of a days ride is...wow!
For me, 500 miles or less constitutes a day. Although I have done more, and am willing to do so again depending on the destination (and the people there lol). If I do 700 miles in a day I'm pretty whipped when I arrive.

When I said "day's ride" I meant how far I would ride in a day and feel good about it, 400-450 miles or so, depending on weather. I realize it's a subjective measurement.

rlfaubion
07-23-2008, 09:11 PM
While we realize ya all can't make it this fer, we'd like to have you guys at the "Sierra Gold Run" coming up August 15th.

Friday ride in to a canyon resort, just above Tahoe in the beautiful Sierra Madras, where there's a BBQ dinner at our cabins (1st chef, Redeye & Anita). After a night visiting under a full moon along the edge of Cold Creek with only your best buds around a campfire will be special.

Oh, and let me mention - no one else but you scraggly bikers will be there.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s31/rlfaubion/Mequite%202008/Canyon%20Ranch/P1010470.jpg

Now, I haven't even mentioned the ride planned for Saturday, which ends with a dinner out in one of the best Mexican Restaurants found.

There's still several cabins available.

Sure be fun to see you there!

Here's our go for sure guys, rid'n 2-up....

Redeye
CaddmannQ
Valdez

call me