PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Nomad shuts down

2manywings
07-10-2019, 01:11 PM
I've got a problem with a friends 2007 1700 Nomad that has been turned into a trike. Lately, while riding along, the bike will just shut down without warning. He coasts to the side of the road, turns the key off, then right back on and the bike will start and he can ride away. It varies as to when it will happen again, but it does continue to happen. It appears to be an electrical issue. You can let it sit there and run all day in the driveway without issue. I'm familiar with other brand that have "bank angle" or "tip over" sensors that shut the bike down should it get laid down. Can anyone tell me if this bike has such a sensor, and if so, where it is located.
(http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/index.php)

DaPreacha
07-10-2019, 03:08 PM
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/general-tech-9/tip-sensor-kawasaki-vulcan-nomad-1600-a-13161/
Sensor location

See if this helps.

mbarr10
07-10-2019, 05:41 PM
2009 was the first year of the 1700s, If you are truly talking about a 2007 Nomad it is a 1600cc bike.

Regardless of bike my first thought is a kickstand sensor . Not that you would still need it but It may be there?? Wish I had More.
May I suggest the 1500/1600 section of the forum. Some of those people may not read any of the 1700 parts. Just a thought

recumbentbob
07-10-2019, 07:19 PM
The 1600s have a tip over sensor. If it lays down while the engine is running, the engine will shut down, after you pick it up you have to turn the key off then back on to redet the sensor or it will not start.
Where the sensor is located I have no idea.
Others probably have the sensor too.

ringadingh
07-11-2019, 09:39 AM
Check your ignition switch, it may be worn and causing the bike to lose electrical power when you hit a bump or from vibration.
The tip over sensor is located under the riders seat at the end of the fuel tank.

smokier
07-13-2019, 08:01 AM
Two thoughts:

Have had both of these happen.
1: The safety switch on the sidestand may be going bad or dirty. It's job is to kill the engine if in gear/running the the stand is down... On mine the bike would cut out briefly, then run/cut out/run. Argh (1500), found the problem through dumb luck. Bypassed the switch with a home made jumper until the part came in. Replaced the switch - no more cutting in and out.
2: Fuel pump is dying. The bike would run fine, then suddenly die. Stop, turn off bike. Open gas cap. Close gas cap, walk around bike. Sometimes it would start right up, sometimes had to wait a minute before she would fire. The thing that finally dawned on my dim mind was the lack of the sound of the fuel pump kicking in when the key was turned on. So learned to listen specifically for the fuel pump sound. Took a bit of time for that replacement pump to get in, and was during peak riding season...

*If* it is either of these, I hope it's the first scenario, much easier and less expensive for you to solve.

Ride safe,
Smokier