PDA

View Full Version : Baddeck Rally That Just Keeps Giving

Patriot
07-24-2018, 04:02 PM
So far prior to leaving for Baddeck I flushed my gas tank and lines. Replaced the Fuel Filter and Fuel Pump. On the ride I had spark issue, felt it was the battery. So even though the battery was only a couple years old, swopped it out in North Sydney. Then continued with everyone enjoying ridding the island. On my way home from my overnight in Truro, the voltage meter on the bike started to fluctuate between 12.6V to 11.8V not good. Turning everything off not needed made no difference.>:(
Just retuned from having the Stator tested, there lied the problem. The Stator connector to the rear of the Duel Stators was melted and burnt. So "New Duel Stators And Connectors" are ordered, and should be here by ( I hope ) Friday.
One very good battery thrown away. But the good side, I was able to still ride with my " VERY GOOD FRIENDS ". So it was worth the price of a battery to do so, " NO REGRETS ".:tup:
If you are looking for bike parts at reasonable prices check out this web site. They have both Canadian and American decisions. :cheers:

rmstator.com (be sure you're on the correct site for where you are)

Badger: Black Hills
07-24-2018, 04:34 PM
So far prior to leaving for Baddeck I flushed my gas tank and lines. Replaced the Fuel Filter and Fuel Pump. On the ride I had spark issue, felt it was the battery. So even though the battery was only a couple years old, swopped it out in North Sydney. Then continued with everyone enjoying ridding the island. On my way home from my overnight in Truro, the voltage meter on the bike started to fluctuate between 12.6V to 11.8V not good. Turning everything off not needed made no difference.>:(
Just retuned from having the Stator tested, there lied the problem. The Stator connector to the rear of the Duel Stators was melted and burnt. So "New Duel Stators And Connectors" are ordered, and should be here by ( I hope ) Friday.
One very good battery thrown away. But the good side, I was able to still ride with my " VERY GOOD FRIENDS ". So it was worth the price of a battery to do so, " NO REGRETS ".:tup:
If you are looking for bike parts at reasonable prices check out this web site. They have both Canadian and American decisions. :cheers:

Glad you were able to ride with every one. Based on past experience I would forgo the connectors and just hard wire the stator. I have had those connectors melt twice now. Make sure it is a good, well-sautered (if that's how you spell it) splice.

plumber63
07-24-2018, 04:55 PM
Noel Its spelled "Soldered"

cnc
07-24-2018, 06:20 PM
:lmao:A multi meter would have been handy on the trip to see what was going on. Your stator (s) were obviously putting out power when Mike boosted you Pete, having said that I wouldn’t have missed the chance to test my crash gear!

Patriot
07-24-2018, 07:20 PM
:lmao:A multi meter would have been handy on the trip to see what was going on. Your stator (s) were obviously putting out power when Mike boosted you Pete, having said that I wouldn’t have missed the chance to test my crash gear!

The problem was intermittent, hardly noticeable. Just seemed like a bad battery. From Truro home, once the bike got good and hot is when the problem became very noticeable. Phoned my machanic Monday morning, he advised me to have the Stator tested. If it passed then change out the Voltage Regulator. Didn't need to go that far. Once the cover was removed, the problem was quite visible.
I look at it this way, I was able to enjoy the rally and make it home after. I'll be back on the road in no time.
" SO! NEWFOUNDLAND NEXT ?" :???:

cnc
07-24-2018, 08:12 PM
Speak to Cindy, Newfoundland was her idea.:D

Sabre-t
07-24-2018, 10:07 PM
The problem was intermittent, hardly noticeable. Just seemed like a bad battery. From Truro home, once the bike got good and hot is when the problem became very noticeable. Phoned my machanic Monday morning, he advised me to have the Stator tested. If it passed then change out the Voltage Regulator. Didn't need to go that far. Once the cover was removed, the problem was quite visible.
I look at it this way, I was able to enjoy the rally and make it home after. I'll be back on the road in no time.
" SO! NEWFOUNDLAND NEXT ?" :???:

You should still get the stator and R/R tested. It's an easy test. Noel is right, though, solder the wires and skip the connectors.

Patriot
07-26-2018, 07:47 AM
Received the battery booster in the mail today. It is now fully charged, manual read, and ready to Putin my side bag. I may never need it but someone may.

Patriot
07-26-2018, 07:57 AM
You should still get the stator and R/R tested. It's an easy test. Noel is right, though, solder the wires and skip the connectors.

The inner stater was fried, amazed I was able to get home. As I'm changing one, I feel it best to swop out both. Which is recommended anyway. Had a tail /indicator light out yesterday (was checking the bike over, post trip), so changed them both. I save the good one for an emergency.:hmm::wave:

cnc
07-26-2018, 09:09 AM
Good to hear you got to the bottom of things Pete, as for your indicator light burning out, I think you wore it out at the Tremblant rally!:lmao::lmao:

Sabre-t
07-26-2018, 11:04 AM
I hope this solves your issues. It is amazing that you made it through the ride after you installed the new battery. How the heck you got all the way home before the new battery died is beyond me, unless the outer stator was putting out just enough current to keep you going that long.

07-26-2018, 11:57 AM

Thank you!

Patriot
07-26-2018, 01:51 PM
I hope this solves your issues. It is amazing that you made it through the ride after you installed the new battery. How the heck you got all the way home before the new battery died is beyond me, unless the outer stator was putting out just enough current to keep you going that long.

Voltage was ranging from 11.8 to 12.1 when I arrived home. Voltage started to fluctuate from 12.5 to 12.1 an hour into my 4 1/2hour ride home. When I arrived home I didn't shut it off until it was parked in the barn. You are right, I was lucky. Even luckier to be able to make the trip. Was starting to think I had a Gremlin in the bike>:>:

cnc
07-26-2018, 02:40 PM

Thank you!

Troy there is an apostrophe between the T and the S!:D
Actually we don’t care about grammar or spelling in the North East section, so long as you post.:yep:

Sabre-t
07-27-2018, 12:48 PM
Voltage was ranging from 11.8 to 12.1 when I arrived home. Voltage started to fluctuate from 12.5 to 12.1 an hour into my 4 1/2hour ride home. When I arrived home I didn't shut it off until it was parked in the barn. You are right, I was lucky. Even luckier to be able to make the trip. Was starting to think I had a Gremlin in the bike>:>:

You definitely had a gremlin. Probably Stripe.

cnc
07-27-2018, 02:18 PM
You definitely had a gremlin. Probably Stripe.

Guardian bells wary off gremlins, or so they say.

Sabre-t
07-27-2018, 02:26 PM

Stripe is an especially evil gremlin. Didn't you see the movie? :D

cnc
07-27-2018, 03:13 PM
Stripe is an especially evil gremlin. Didn't you see the movie? :D

No can’t say as I have. A Gremlin gave me a flat, but my bell knocked him off and kept us in control. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. :D:D

plumber63
07-27-2018, 07:43 PM
Troy there is an apostrophe between the T and the S!:D
Actually we don’t care about grammar or spelling in the North East section, so long as you post.:yep:

I don't care either, but he kinda asked about how it was spelled.:cheers:

cnc
07-27-2018, 08:15 PM

Yeah l know, just busting chops!

Patriot
07-28-2018, 07:40 AM

I have a "Guardian Bell". My understanding is it surpose to keep you safe. Bike trouble, that's taken care of by the "Wallet" :lmao:

cnc
07-28-2018, 09:39 AM
I have a "Guardian Bell". My understanding is it surpose to keep you safe. Bike trouble, that's taken care of by the "Wallet" :lmao:

I don’t suppose you have a guardian wallet either? :D:D:D

Patriot
07-28-2018, 10:33 PM
I don’t suppose you have a guardian wallet either? :D:D:D

Have a guard over my wallet, it's called " my wife ".:lmao:

spil99
07-29-2018, 01:46 PM

Glad you made it home Pete. And you know what needs to be done. Next trip will be no problem.

Patriot
07-29-2018, 04:09 PM
Glad you made it home Pete. And you know what needs to be done. Next trip will be no problem.

A little bike trouble had to find me some time, just thankful I was with you guys. I may still be on the trail :wave:

07-29-2018, 10:30 PM

And I appreciated the help!
Noel

Patriot
08-14-2018, 03:08 PM
Update: Turns out the Stators were in rough shap, so ordered 2 new. My error forgot to order the gasket, so that finally arrived end of last week. Installation of the new Stators were finished today but still not charging. So now it's time to replace the regulators, ordered. Been a month of no rain, and no bike.
If anyone needs to replace their Stators or regulators may I recommend rmstator.com Be sure to click on which country you are from ( US or Canada ). I placed my order over the phone, just to be sure I'll receive the correct item. Very friendly service.

spil99
08-17-2018, 11:41 PM
Update: Turns out the Stators were in rough shap, so ordered 2 new. My error forgot to order the gasket, so that finally arrived end of last week. Installation of the new Stators were finished today but still not charging. So now it's time to replace the regulators, ordered. Been a month of no rain, and no bike.
If anyone needs to replace their Stators or regulators may I recommend rmstator.com Be sure to click on which country you are from ( US or Canada ). I placed my order over the phone, just to be sure I'll receive the correct item. Very friendly service.

Hey Pete
Hope that gets you back on the road. I can't believe you made it home?

Patriot
08-18-2018, 06:26 AM
Hey Pete
Hope that gets you back on the road. I can't believe you made it home?

My machanic said the same thing, " How the hell did you get this bike home ". How the hell did I make the trip, " LUCKY "

Sabre-t
08-18-2018, 10:57 AM
My machanic said the same thing, " How the hell did you get this bike home ". How the hell did I make the trip, " LUCKY "

No kidding! I hope these repairs take care of it.

Patriot
08-24-2018, 07:38 PM
Hope this is the final chapter on my bike issues. Both Stators replaced, they were fried. Inside one worse than the outer. After receiving the wrong Regulator Rectifiers, the correct ones arrived yesterday at 1715h. Checked the box to make sure they are the correct ones. They looked the same size as the ones on my bike, and the plugs were correct. Dropped them off to the bike shop 0800h, and the bike was ready and running by 1400h. Took the rest of the afternoon cleaning it. Has not been washed since the rally on Cape Breton, she was filthy. I have wood to put away or go for a ride tomorrow, guess which one I'm doing.
Thanks to everyone from the rally for your help, patience, and understanding. You all made a bad situation less stressful. "THANKS"

cnc
08-24-2018, 09:06 PM
Hope this is the final chapter on my bike issues. Both Stators replaced, they were fried. Inside one worse than the outer. After receiving the wrong Regulator Rectifiers, the correct ones arrived yesterday at 1715h. Checked the box to make sure they are the correct ones. They looked the same size as the ones on my bike, and the plugs were correct. Dropped them off to the bike shop 0800h, and the bike was ready and running by 1400h. Took the rest of the afternoon cleaning it. Has not been washed since the rally on Cape Breton, she was filthy. I have wood to put away or go for a ride tomorrow, guess which one I'm doing.
Thanks to everyone from the rally for your help, patience, and understanding. You all made a bad situation less stressful. "THANKS"

Ok, but just don’t let it happen again Pete.:D seriously glade you seem to have it sorted out, enjoy your test riding. Dead battery, gravel roads, miss-leading GPS’s flat tires, all part of the adventure.

Patriot
08-27-2018, 08:26 PM
Ok, but just don’t let it happen again Pete.:D seriously glade you seem to have it sorted out, enjoy your test riding. Dead battery, gravel roads, miss-leading GPS’s flat tires, all part of the adventure.

There were some strange things with the GPS. Now tires is another story. All I know is I'm close to $1400 less in my pocket. But she works like a charm, charging system working great. So, where do we meet up next year, HaHaHa:cheers:

cnc
08-27-2018, 11:27 PM
Tom has an idea up his sleave for next summer. I think we should wait for him to explain.

Patriot
08-28-2018, 07:18 AM
:tup:Tom has an idea up his sleave for next summer. I think we should wait for him to explain.

:tup: