PDA

View Full Version : how i spent my summer vacation

rickyboy
07-10-2008, 03:21 AM
WOW ! Is what keeps coming back to me. I just got back from a 12 day road trip that took me from Sumas Wash. down through Idaho and Utah , stopping to see Bryce Canyon and Zion Nat. park. then moving on to Mesquite, Vegas, and up to Reno and across California taking an unbelievable hwy. #36 to reach the California Redwood and "the Ave. of Giants". From there it was on to the west coast of Oregon to do the coastal route up as far as Newport. From there it was straight home on th I-5 up past Seattle and on to Sumas and then home to Langley BC Canada. A tad over 5,500 kms. or 3,400 miles.
I had visions of what it must have been like doing the ride through the Zion park with the KawaNow members on the Western Region Rally. I'm even more sorry I had to miss that now. Not a lot to say about the trip until my buddy and I got to Bryce Canyon where we thought that the trip really started. But was it "frigg'in hot! ! Vegas was well over 110 degrees. We ended up renting a car to go from Mesquite to Vegas for the day. We just didn't see the sense of riding in the heat, and then spending the day gambling only to ride back in the heat. Actually unless the outside temp gauge was broken on the rental, it showed 118 going home at 10:00 PM..
There is a lot to say about the trip from there on but way too much to put down here. An outstanding point was the hwy. 36 across California through the fires. It was the only road open. Fire fighters were working along the sides of the road finishing up where the fires had past through. But the road was a bikers dream curves and turns and what have you for almost 140. miles. I have heard of the Dragons Tail and this must come close to what that is like. Suggested speeds ranging anywhere from 15 to 55 miles per.. The coast of Oregon was it's usual beautiful thing. Even if that's where it started to get wet and cool. But believe me the cool was welcomed after the high temps of the south. But this being my first real BIG ride it was a real thrill for me at the age of 54. I plan on doing a ride like that every year from now on. I hope to post some video of the ride in days to come. I am back on vacation and heading down to my cabin in Sumas for some day rides and R & R.
later Bros. and Sisters

misunderstood
07-10-2008, 03:40 AM
Must be nice to get a vacation after a vacation like that. Sounds awesome, looking forward to video/pics. http://s2.images.proboards.com/cool.gif

audiogooroo
07-10-2008, 09:16 AM
Sounds great! Glad you had a good time.
I'm hoping to do at least one trip per year myself...but I'm a long way from retirement.

cactusjack
07-10-2008, 09:27 AM
Sounds like a great ride. I'm glad you made it home safely. Are you going to try to make the rally in Custer next summer?

07-10-2008, 09:31 AM
I did highway 36 with my wife. Met some other riders up there too & had a great time.

Man you can see a loooong way from the summit. From Shasta to the Trinity Alps and almost to the Pacific. (Well, when things aren't all on fire.) Just an awesome ride. At some point 36 turns into a goat trail and the real road becomes 299 (?) on to Redding. Not having an "adventure bike" we stuck to the real road. Someday I'd like to go back and take the road less traveled there. I'll bet it's awesome.

jussmatt
07-10-2008, 11:13 AM
Glad you had a great vacation Rickyboy!! Sounds like a fun time!! ;o)

rickyboy
07-21-2008, 05:25 AM
CJ,..... when is the rally in Custer, Where is Custer......anyone

kawgirl
07-23-2008, 07:02 AM
The rally is June 16-18 in Custer, South Dakota

ridemslow
07-23-2008, 06:12 PM
Sharp looking bike Ricky.. I like the fender trim. See you got ya a chrome radiator cover too. Trunk looks good too, nice add ons bud.

rickyboy
07-27-2008, 05:12 AM
Hey ...thanks for the complements on my bike. I've had a few bikes in my day, but nothing I like more than the Nomad. It performed fantastic on the summer ride. Not one hiccup.
Yes had a great time on the trip this summer. I sure would like to make the rally next year. I plan on doing a "long ride every year until it isn't physically possible. My buddy that rode with me this year wants to head down through Montana, {and maybe Wyoming} and come up via the Dakotas back into Canada. So if he can time his vacation just right, I hope to be there. I guess I could do the ride myself.......? maybe there are other's from the west going, that I could tag along with. I can take vacation any time I want. That's not a problem for me.

rickyboy
07-27-2008, 05:22 AM
I was hoping to post some video by now that I took this summer, but the camcorder kinda screwed up on me at times. I haven't figured out if it was the constant [although minimal] vibration or what but there was a lot of poor quality at times. So there isn't much of the video that I'm real excited about showing, or that I would think many others would be excited about either. I haven't been through it all yet, so we'll see. I mean a great number of you have been through Zion park. I have some of Bryce Canyon,..... but how long would that take to see before you guys "dozed off?"
Let me know if there is anyone going to the rally from the Pacific Northwest,... Seattle, Vancouver Canada area next year.
Best regards to everyone.

ringadingh
07-27-2008, 07:36 PM
Good to see you back, sounds like you had a great trip.