PDA

View Full Version : Shift to Neutral

rhraziel
02-28-2018, 11:39 AM
Not sure if anyone else has noticed this on their Voyager but I tend to shift up into neutral before I come to a stop after I've downshifted through the gears so I can let my hand off of the clutch. My Voyager is the only bike I've owned that has a hard time shifting to neutral unless your are either at a dead stop or only rolling maybe 1-2 mph. Has that effected you guys?

MrMikey
02-28-2018, 12:21 PM
The positive neutral finder I believe would be your culprit but I could be wrong..............Mike

rick6375
02-28-2018, 12:26 PM
Unless there is at least 3-4 vehicles behind me at a long light, I leave it in 1st gear, incase someone is not paying attention to the road. I know, thats rare.

Scootergptx
02-28-2018, 01:30 PM
Usually when I'm stopped at a light, I'll hit the shifter to make sure I'm in first. Sometimes more than once. Not to make sure it's not in neutral, but to make sure I'm not still in second from downshifting.

And it never fails. When I don't, I am.

Sabre-t
03-02-2018, 01:12 AM
Keeping it in gear at a stop has saved my bacon a couple of times.

plumber63
03-02-2018, 07:34 AM
Not sure if anyone else has noticed this on their Voyager but I tend to shift up into neutral before I come to a stop after I've downshifted through the gears so I can let my hand off of the clutch. My Voyager is the only bike I've owned that has a hard time shifting to neutral unless your are either at a dead stop or only rolling maybe 1-2 mph. Has that effected you guys?
This is in the design of the bikes transmission. The 1600s are the same way. Has to do with the neutral finder system.
Unless there is no one behind you, this a bad practice. If you need to get out of the way quickly you would be screwed.

BonVoyager
03-02-2018, 04:13 PM
Keeping it in gear at a stop has saved my bacon a couple of times.

Indeed, mine as well!! Plus, keeping it in gear is what they teach you in the safety courses.

smokier
03-03-2018, 07:22 AM

As Mr. Mikey indiacted, POSITIVE NEUTRAL FINDER is the culprit. It is a 'safety" feature, as described by Kawasaki.
I like to kick it into neutral when coasting into the garage, and you are right, with the POSITIVE NEUTRAL FINDER that particular practice is challenging.

Ride safe,
Smokier

mbarr10
03-03-2018, 08:58 AM
Thanks All. I noticed it also, it did not seem to be as much of a pain to find neutral with my 1500. Now I know why. I still try to do it anyway. Old habits are hard to brake.

pcaddict66
03-03-2018, 01:18 PM
Keeping it in gear with the clutch level pulled also puts a lot of wear and tear on the clutch.

BonVoyager
03-03-2018, 01:56 PM
Keeping it in gear with the clutch level pulled also puts a lot of wear and tear on the clutch.

The wear would be on the throw-out bearing. I don’t care what anyone wants to argue, a clutch or throw-out bearing is worth far less than me life, so I keep it in gear, as I was taught in training. This practice has definitely saved my ass a few times! If the traffic is completely stopped or I am at an intersection stopped and I have a few cars behind me that are also stopped, I will sometimes put it in neutral, this is pretty rare for me though.

MAS Tequila
03-03-2018, 05:55 PM
There are 3 ball bearings that sit in indentations on the transmission output shaft.

There are 3 holes the bearings slide into once the bike starts rolling.

The centrifugal force pushes them into the hole and away from the shaft so the shift fork can slide the gear into place allowing the bike to engage the gear.

That is why it can feel like there us a halfway shift.

Whenever I have one apart, I leave the 3 balls out while reassembling.

I have a Meanie trans in pieces right now that is getting a Nomad 5th gear.

One of those balls refuses to allow the gear to come off the shaft.

I may have to drill it.

smokier
03-04-2018, 07:55 AM
MAS, your knowledge of the internals of these machines nevers ceases to amaze me!
Thanks for sharing!

Ride safe,
Smokier