PDA

View Full Version : July 6 Ride to Chino Air Museum

tomk
07-06-2008, 03:03 PM
Dave, BD and I were riding out to Chino to stop at one of the semi-famous places around here for breakfast, Flo's. We were thinking of heading out to meet up with Nico and other Hooligans out at Big Bear mountain but decided we were better off not getting cooked.

We ended up stopping at the Air Museum there in Chino and I took some pics of the old aircraft. Dave and BD are in some of them to give an idea of scale. Some of these racing planes were as small as a motorcycle.

Other planes like the WWI bi-planes were really tiny. Got the famous red baron triplane as well as the Sopwith Pup but not the camel.

Other famous planes like the Wright Flyer, Mustang, Mig and the Zero are there also.

http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj137/Tomknomad/Chino%20Air%20Museum%207%206%2008/

audiogooroo
07-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Cool!

beezer
07-06-2008, 04:11 PM
That little green plane is cool. It's probably like when you start riding with a Honda Rebel and move up from there.

blowndodge
07-06-2008, 04:44 PM
That was fun and I'm glad I'm not trying to ride down Big Bear mountain this time of day at the end of a 3 day weekend in 100+ degree temps! It takes 3 hours to get down!! The beach was nice and cool!!

Thanks for the ride fellas.

beezer
07-06-2008, 05:19 PM
I wish I could have joined you guys. Riding the West Coast must be awesome.

tomk
07-06-2008, 07:16 PM
It has it's drawbacks but I think everywhere does.

Great day. Need to get out and see more of that kind of thing.

blowndodge
07-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Anyone is always welcome to ride with da hooligans!! Even the "Long Leaf Thread" type http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

07-07-2008, 07:08 AM
Nice pics! Glad you rode! Any ride is a good ride when you're on a Nomad!

We'll get together soon and ride together when it's not too hot or too cold for you pansies! ;) :-* http://s2.images.proboards.com/shocked.gif

blowndodge
07-07-2008, 11:20 AM
<marquee>I know some pansies who'd take offense to that remark!!</marquee>

cactusjack
07-07-2008, 12:19 PM
If any of you are ever in the vicinity of Salt Lake City, go about 30 miles north to Roy, Utah and there you will find the Hill Air Force Base museum. The last time I was there (11-12 years ago), it was free and they have some really great planes. B29 bombers, B-52's, F-4 Phantom, F-111, and an SR-71 Blackbird (AWESOME!). Lots of other planes, and aviation-related stuff, too. It's worth checking out if you're in the area.

Dave
07-07-2008, 06:16 PM
"If any of you are ever in the vicinity of Salt Lake City, go about 30 miles north to Roy, Utah and there you will find the Hill Air Force Base museum."

I keep meaning to go there every time I got up to visit my drivers in Clearfield. Maybe I'll go up there in a week or so. Time for a visit anyhow.

cactusjack
07-07-2008, 07:31 PM
"If any of you are ever in the vicinity of Salt Lake City, go about 30 miles north to Roy, Utah and there you will find the Hill Air Force Base museum."

I keep meaning to go there every time I got up to visit my drivers in Clearfield. Maybe I'll go up there in a week or so. Time for a visit anyhow.

Clearfield is real close. I was up that way a couple of weeks ago, but didn't have the time to spend at the museum. Maybe my next trip back up there.

07-08-2008, 12:39 PM
San Deigo ir & Space Museum in Balboa Park (http://www.aerospacemuseum.org/exhibits/tour.html)

blowndodge
07-08-2008, 12:52 PM
A new destination..........

07-08-2008, 01:02 PM

I'll even ride the whole 20 friggin' minutes to meet you there!

Dave
07-08-2008, 04:53 PM

I'll even ride the whole 20 friggin' minutes to meet you there!

Whow. Then came Bronson

ringadingh
07-08-2008, 06:53 PM
Cool pics, when I was a kid I had a control line P40 Warhawk and a L4 Grasshopper. It would be neat to have seen the real ones.
During WW2 my mom was a welder at GM in Oshawa Ontario. They built the Mosquito bombers there. She welded the oxygen lines in every plane produced in that plant.
I seen a Mosquito about 5 years ago in a Ottawa museum, it was quite a moving experience seeing a plane that she had worked on 60 years earlier.

07-08-2008, 08:13 PM
My dad was stationed at Hill AFB, back when it was in full swing. They had bunkers with nuclear weapons out in the back 40. Big missiles on custom-built missle carriers. I rode within spitting distance of them many times. There was a dirt track for the local club called The Iron Ponies, and we used to ride scooters and minibikes back there before we had real motorcycles. It was just below the main runways on the east hillside, which was the back of the base.

We used to lie in the tall grass just beyond the end of the runways and B-52's would scream over the top of us taking off. They would just pound you against the ground they were so loud.

As kids we managed to sneak all over that base, to places where civilians weren't normally supposed to go. I remember buying cans of beer for a quarter, from a vending machine in the restroom building out on the officer's golf course.

Beer for a quarter. I'm really dating myself, huh?

tomk
07-08-2008, 09:10 PM
We all have to get together and do some rides to these kinda places. Not a lotta miles but a tremendous amount of history.

cactusjack
07-08-2008, 10:49 PM
My dad was stationed at Hill AFB, back when it was in full swing. They had bunkers with nuclear weapons out in the back 40. Big missiles on custom-built missle carriers. I rode within spitting distance of them many times. There was a dirt track for the local club called The Iron Ponies, and we used to ride scooters and minibikes back there before we had real motorcycles. It was just below the main runways on the east hillside, which was the back of the base.

We used to lie in the tall grass just beyond the end of the runways and B-52's would scream over the top of us taking off. They would just pound you against the ground they were so loud.

As kids we managed to sneak all over that base, to places where civilians weren't normally supposed to go. I remember buying cans of beer for a quarter, from a vending machine in the restroom building out on the officer's golf course.

Beer for a quarter. I'm really dating myself, huh?

When my boys were little, I'd take them up to Hill AFB for a bi-annual open house they'd have. They'd bring in all kinds of aircraft, C130, C5 Hercules, an F117A, A10 Warthog, that sort of thing. The Thunderbirds would be there and the Army Golden Knights would give parachute demonstrations, they'd show fire fighting demonstrations, my kids really ate it up. It always seemed like it was held on the hottest weekend of the year, but it was a lot of fun.

BEER for a quarter? Those really were the good old days! http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif