PDA

View Full Version : Gearing up for big two week trip.

terryd
05-29-2017, 07:54 PM
My brothers and I are going on a two week trip through the northwest Rockies and Pacific Northwest starting the third week in June and we'll be camping most of the time. I'm guessing we will cover between 3500 and 4000 miles. I'm looking for any advice from those of you who have done similar trips as to what to bring and how you brought it. So far I have acquired a 30 liter waterproof bag that holds my tent, sleeping bag, air mattress and a few other small items. I also have a large two piece leather T-bag that will go on the luggage rack. And of course there are the two hard saddle bags on the1700 Nomad. Don't leave out mistakes you made so I can avoid them.

recumbentbob
05-29-2017, 08:37 PM
Take a spare key and wear it on a chain around your neck.
A lost key can ruin a trip.

Ridefree
05-29-2017, 08:44 PM
The biggest mistake I ever made was not having a plug kit and a slime air pump . I could have been back on the road in a matter of minutes but had to wait hours for the repair .
A wiring kit for splicing and some extra wire can come in handy too . Always take some water just in case .

Kawalski Rider
05-29-2017, 10:07 PM
That is great advise.. I sent several hours looking for what was a lost key, only to discover I had put it in a pocket I don't frequently use, (too many pockets in my riding gear). Embarrassing to say the least. Especially, as I was was traveling with a group of friends. Yeah I still hear about it from time to time when the group travels each year. Counting the hideout set on the bike, I have 3 sets with me most of the time... Good luck on your trip.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

terryd
05-29-2017, 11:32 PM
Got the pump and plug kit. Even have a can of slime in case a hole is too irregular to plug. I only have one spare key though.

terryd
05-29-2017, 11:36 PM
That's actually a great idea for the main key since we don't have to leave it in the ignition on these newer Vulcans.

Sabre-t
05-30-2017, 01:14 AM
If you have a some place for it, get an extra gas container (for each bike). A one gallon that is designed to fit in hard saddlebags or a Rotopax mounted on a sissy bar rack. Depending on what roads you are on, it can be really hard to find gas sometimes in the sparsely populated areas out there.

schoeney
05-30-2017, 01:21 AM
Roll up your clothes vs. Fold them.
Fill gaps /shoes with small items.
When you arrive each day jump in the shower with your clothes on, socks too....wash them (with shampoo or soap) then hang them up to air dry. You will only need 2-3 sets this way.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

gv550
05-30-2017, 07:27 AM
My brothers and I are going on a two week trip through the northwest Rockies and Pacific Northwest starting the third week in June and we'll be camping most of the time. I'm guessing we will cover between 3500 and 4000 miles. I'm looking for any advice from those of you who have done similar trips as to what to bring and how you brought it. So far I have acquired a 30 liter waterproof bag that holds my tent, sleeping bag, air mattress and a few other small items. I also have a large two piece leather T-bag that will go on the luggage rack. And of course there are the two hard saddle bags on the1700 Nomad. Don't leave out mistakes you made so I can avoid them.

I do a 4-6 week tour every year, the biggest mistake is carrying too much stuff and packing it too high and too far back on the bike.
My left saddlebag has tent, sleeping bag, air mattress, pillow and ground sheet.
Right saddlebag has rain gear and enough clothes for 10 days, then do laundry.
Tank bag carries heavy stuff, shoes, sandals, tool kit.
Trunk has only my camera and iPad, so I have room to lock my helmet and jacket inside whenever I leave the bike to sightsee.
Back seat is empty so I can pick up ladies enroute.

terryd
05-30-2017, 09:25 AM
When you arrive each day jump in the shower with your clothes on, socks too....wash them (with shampoo or soap) then hang them up to air dry. You will only need 2-3 sets this way.

Now that's getting creative!

schoeney
05-30-2017, 10:42 AM
Now that's getting creative!
Haha. I only need to resort to these space saving tactics when my wife travels with me.

Really honey...you need to bring a curling iron? :)

Johnny Y
05-30-2017, 11:20 AM

That sounds like a good idea for a 2 week trip, I haven't done one yet. During the year I put aside clothes that are on the verge of being thrown out. I change every other day & toss the clothes. That frees up room for souvenirs.

coolwazabi
05-30-2017, 09:12 PM
Just did the run for the wall which is cali to dc. Did about 6500 miles in 2 weeks. I recommend a lot of polyester clothing. You can rinse them at night and hang them and theyll be dry in hours. Also we did camping and we camped in AZ, NM, CO and CA. The mornings were low 40's but during the day it was low 80's. Air pump, tire repair kit, simple tools. Monkey butt and maybe double up on underwear to reduce friction. Back brace to improve posture and every general medicine like. Headache,bodyache,stomach,bengay, sunscreen, and ass wipes. Bring crappy clothing and buy some cool merch along the way as you toss your old shirts/pants/socks. Full face or modular helmet. Rain hurts. Sun hurts. Wind over thousands of miles hurts. Ear plugs saved me big time so I could get a quiet ride when I needed it.

ZXryder
05-31-2017, 08:30 PM
Duct tape and zip ties.. always find uses for those

Snake Ranch
06-01-2017, 01:14 PM
If you have a some place for it, get an extra gas container (for each bike). A one gallon that is designed to fit in hard saddlebags or a Rotopax mounted on a sissy bar rack. Depending on what roads you are on, it can be really hard to find gas sometimes in the sparsely populated areas out there.

I went to REI and bought the fuel bottles the backpackers use. They are a quart each, made of aluminum, they don't leak, and are easy to fill.

Using these made it possible to fit them in small spaces.

https://www.rei.com/search.html?q=fuel+bottles&origin=web&ir=q%3Afuel+bottles&page=1

The only drawback I see is the cost. But I figured I would pay more for gas if I was stranded

The other thing to consider: I saw a small kit at America's Tire one day. It's a adaptor that will allow you to use a CO2 cartridge to speed up the tire filling process.

It has a 90 degree adaptor that will puncture the CO2 cartridges and 3 CO2 cartridges with a little plastic storage pouch.

I would check to make sure it will connect to your valve stems before you need to use it. I was out on the road one time and wanted to check my tire pressure and found I couldn't because of the clearance issues I was having with the tire rim and everything else that was in the way.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_6_9?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=tire+co2+motorcycle&sprefix=tire+co2+%2Caps%2C222&crid=3JH16P3CV7FF6

Another thought : if you find a problem with the valve stem angle on your skoot you can purchase small adaptors to change the angle when checking or filling the tires. Les Schwab sells a variety of adapters for less than 5 dollars.

Hope this helps.:tup::tup:

Spondulas
06-01-2017, 10:27 PM
Make sure you have good tires or a plan for replacing them along the way. The western roads really eat tires up. I left middle TN with 50% of the tread on my rear tire and 1500 miles later I was looking for a replacement in the middle of no where. BTW, there seems to be a strong correlation between the distance to whatever help you need and the amount it is going to cost!

terryd
06-02-2017, 12:29 PM
Michelin Commander IIs are sitting in the garage ready to go on.

Kawalski Rider
06-02-2017, 01:23 PM
Make sure you have good tires or a plan for replacing them along the way. The western roads really eat tires up. I left middle TN with 50% of the tread on my rear tire and 1500 miles later I was looking for a replacement in the middle of no where. BTW, there seems to be a strong correlation between the distance to whatever help you need and the amount it is going to cost!
LOL... Isn't that one of Murphys Laws? The cost of the breakdown is directly proportional to the distance of recovery, plus complexity of the breakdown, multiplied by the parts required...

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

MVA-Voyager
06-02-2017, 01:29 PM
Get your AMA membership!

Kawalski Rider
06-02-2017, 06:22 PM
Michelin Commander IIs are sitting in the garage ready to go on.
Good call... I headed out for Kalispell with a solid 1/3 of the treade on the rear tire. When I reached Kalispell, the center of the tire was bald. Fortunately, the local Kaw dealer had a direct replacement. 2 hours and $300 later I'm back on the road. Hot pavement and freeway speeds will take a toll on your tires..

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Spondulas
06-03-2017, 10:27 PM
I was either farther from help than you were or they just saw me coming. The ONLY shop near me was 75 miles away and I was $ 414.35 poorer when I left there but at least I had a new rear tire.

mbarr10
06-03-2017, 10:49 PM
Spare key12780
Replace the side cover bolt on the right side with a Phillips M6x45mm. Stash your key in a ziplock in the metal conduits. If you loose your key, anyone has a Phillips, but ask some one for a 4mm hex and you will be there for a while.
SHHHH its a secret. But I Have insurance. And never worry about my keys.

mike07nad
06-06-2017, 08:04 AM
Other than to pack in ziplock bags, I think you have gotten many good suggestions.

Oh, and If you should decide to implement them all - how about a trailer hitch and a trailer to carry them all.

Don't leave with everything packed full, You will probably buy something and it's nice to have a place to put your heavy coat when it gets hot. (A bungee net is always a good bet)
Sunscreen, Chap Stick (Burnt lips hurt), Rain Gear, Phone Chargers, sandals or sneakers (Something to put on while your drying your wet boots), Energy bars 1 or 2 (replace when you get fuel), Cash, Multiple Credit Cards (if you accidentally leave one somewhere you still need a way to get gas), Call your credit card provider and tell them you are traveling (a declined cards is the pits) Oh and have fun. Stop frequently - before your ass hurts - not after.

HammerDown
06-07-2017, 02:50 PM
All great ideas.
+1 on a spare key.
I also make a front & back photocopy of all the documents that will be in my wallet - IDs, credit cards, medical insurance card, bike insurance and registration, etc., and keep it in a waterproof pouch in the saddle bag. Also split cash and CC's between wallet and that same pouch.
Try leave a decent amount of empty space in your luggage and saddlebags. You'll never (re)pack something as well on the road as you do in your living room. It's no fun constantly fighting to get lids and covers closed.
I do carry extra gas in two 1 qt MSR bottles. Good for about 25 miles of NOT walking with my bike.
I always have a good fist aid kit.
I really like those roll up space saver bags for clothing and other soft gear. Would recommend the roll up style over the ones that need a vacuum pump. They really do work, and keep your stuff clean, dry and odor-free.
I also never go anywhere without at least a day pack and some basic emergency gear - food, water, fire, compass, knife - all that kind of stuff. You never know.
And, I'm a cowboy boot guy, so I make sure to have pair of hiking boots or combats in case I have to hoof it.

terryd
06-08-2017, 10:30 AM
I'm wondering if carrying a bottle of octane booster would be a good idea. I have no idea if premium fuels will be hard to find in various places. I have pulled into gas stations on the road, sucking fumes to find no premium at the pumps.

Johnny Y
06-08-2017, 12:16 PM
I'm wondering if carrying a bottle of octane booster would be a good idea. I have no idea if premium fuels will be hard to find in various places. I have pulled into gas stations on the road, sucking fumes to find no premium at the pumps.

Last year I had to run 1 tank of 87 Oct. non-ethanol. Bike ran fine but I got less mpg. I was running David Sheek's Ecno map in my pcv at the time.

terryd
06-08-2017, 02:15 PM
Last year I had to run 1 tank of 87 Oct. non-ethanol. Bike ran fine but I got less mpg. I was running David Sheek's Ecno map in my pcv at the time.
I'm surprised you got lower gas mileage. Contrary to popular belief, lower octane does not produce lower power and worse mileage. The exact opposite is the case. I've proven this to myself repeatedly by switching back and forth on bikes that can run both 87 and higher.

H8BUGZ
06-14-2017, 09:10 PM
Wipes work great for dirty hands, fuel spills, bug guts in the middle of your shield and the emergency potty stop. Always hydrate your body at every fuel stop. Less is more. Duct tape, zip ties, wire etc take up little room and can save you. First aid kit!

terryd
06-15-2017, 09:24 AM
Less than a week until I leave on the trip. I want to thank everyone for some great ideas, some of which I was already doing and many that I wasn't that I will now employ. One of the best is the simplest; spare key on a chain around my neck. I got extra chains for my brothers.

spaceliner
06-15-2017, 06:17 PM
You are so right about the key. I keep a extra one stashed/ hidden on my Nomad

spaceliner
06-15-2017, 06:23 PM
Slime Air pump is awesome. cost $30.. Got mine at a Auto Zone. Also work fast to inflate my air mattress. Bring a good rain suit, including glove and boot covers. Bring 1 pair of running shoes, spare fuses, tire repair kit. And you each need to carry in your wallet a notarized note from your wife stating that you do have her permission to take this awesome 2 week trip.

spaceliner
06-15-2017, 06:29 PM
Any items you buy for the trip, like a tire inflator, tools, camp gear etc. TRY it first, make sure it will do the intended job. Know each piece of equipment well THEN pack it. Oh yes a small propane backpacking stove. I have a tiny one that folds up, maybe
2 1/2inches. It screws onto a small "cup size" propane canister.

linesider
06-21-2017, 02:56 PM
You can replace the outer windshield allen head bolts with eyebolts facing outward and use them as tiedown points. Good place for tent/fishing poles. I always separate poles from tent for packing versatility.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk