PDA

View Full Version : Clutch pull

Scootergptx
01-31-2017, 09:12 AM
Not a consistent thing, but I've noticed a few times it's really hard to pull in the clutch lever. Clutch itself isn't slipping, so I'm guessing I have an issue with either the master or slave cylinders. Guess I'll be checking to see if there are rebuild kits out there for both. Looking on the bright side, at least it's all on the outside of the motor.

tonik
01-31-2017, 12:13 PM
Slave cylinder area gets really dirty, I would start there...just a good external cleaning and a fluid flush while you are in there.

Scootergptx
01-31-2017, 01:14 PM
Thanks! Just flushed out the system in the summer, so I would tend to agree with the dirt on the slave cylinder.

Looks like a nice little weekend beer project.

Peg
01-31-2017, 01:16 PM
Yep... What Tonik said. The location of the push rod behind the slave cylinder just in front of the belt pulley - means it gets dirt flung at it & stuck to it all the time. I had to stall my bike once in a supermarket car park to avoid someone who pushed a trolley out in front of me... the clutch just wouldn't pull in at all.

Now I know the symptoms, & pull that rod out to clean it up now & then. Don't leave too much grease on the whole length of it, or it will let more crud stick.

Scootergptx
01-31-2017, 01:35 PM
So if I understand this correctly, I tell the wife it needs a new clutch. Clean it up for free and buy a new gun with the money. Correct?

OldSchool
01-31-2017, 02:09 PM
Yes there are rebuild kits for the both of them. If I have a problem, I always replace with new. Just an " Old School " thing. They cost around mid twenty dollars or so. Available from several sources.

Peg
01-31-2017, 11:38 PM
So if I understand this correctly, I tell the wife it needs a new clutch. Clean it up for free and buy a new gun with the money. Correct?

That's an excellent plan...

Except if she finds out she's been had like that - you should hide the gun so it doesn't get turned on you :lol:

Demolition Man
02-02-2017, 09:57 AM

GOOD IDEA ! I like how you think ! :D

Cu,
Sven

Scootergptx
02-02-2017, 11:16 AM
Well this is awkward.

I haven't worked on the bike yet, and there's a new rifle arriving today.

recumbentbob
02-02-2017, 11:28 AM
I haven't worked on my bike either and my new rifle gets here tomorrow.

Scootergptx
02-03-2017, 08:51 AM
I haven't worked on my bike either and my new rifle gets here tomorrow.

Pick up the new rifle this evening, and another used one at the same time.

Looks like I need to find another "problem" on the bike.

Demolition Man
02-03-2017, 09:12 AM
Oh man, you guys got "problems". :D :cry:

Damned frickin' gun laws over here. Do you know, how hard it is to get a gun here LEGALLY ! ! ! :wave: :???: :cry: :hmm:

I hope you'll post some pics - of the guns and of the misses ! :D

Cu,
Sven

MrMikey
02-04-2017, 12:55 AM
Slave cylinder for sure, mine would have a slight hesitation when releasing it then it started being hard, almost to the point of not being able to pull it in. Would get a bit better when warmed up.
Here's where I did mine http://tinyurl.com/zespoll ...........Mike

Scootergptx
02-04-2017, 09:43 PM
Slave cylinder for sure, mine would have a slight hesitation when releasing it then it started being hard, almost to the point of not being able to pull it in. Would get a bit better when warmed up.
Here's where I did mine http://tinyurl.com/zespoll ...........Mike

Thanks. Great write up too. :cheers:

Scootergptx
02-07-2017, 08:04 AM
Got some time yesterday, so I pulled off the slave cylinder to clean it all up. Man, what a mess in there. No wonder it was hard to pull. Got it cleaned up and seems to be working fine now. Didn't have a gallon of it handy, so I had to go light on the lock tite putting the bolts back in.

And since I worked on the bike, I guess it's official. Crappy pic, but it's at home now. Just a simple red dot I had to put on it. Didn't notice the cover flipped up till after I had put it back in the safe.

http://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/atvconnection.com-vbulletin/2000x1198/80-20170207_050453_95ef4ca602c77683aec6f53cf30e91595a 684c46.jpg

recumbentbob
02-07-2017, 12:43 PM
Nice AR, my rifle came in to the dealer damaged thanks to UPS.
The replacement should be here tomorrow. It's a Savage 12 F/TR bolt action 223.

Scootergptx
02-07-2017, 12:51 PM
This is my new plinker, .22lr.

Wife got me a new AR last April. Looks good to the one she bought me 15 years ago.

Gonna like buying ammo for this one a lot more.

Scootergptx
02-07-2017, 12:52 PM
Now that I have this, I can get serious about getting the new CZ P10.

Zkovach
02-09-2017, 10:18 PM

R u my lost twin brother or did u steal my move?!

Scootergptx
02-10-2017, 08:28 AM
Got a new reflex sight for the rifle yesterday. :D

Seriously, if she knew how much work this bike needed when I bought it, she'd have never let me have it.

Ok, she'd let me have the bike. She'd probably be pissed about the new rifle, extra mags, two new scopes, bipod and the quad rail.

Scootergptx
02-10-2017, 08:31 AM
Which brings up another interesting dilemma.

I'd like to retire, but if I do, where am I going to have all the stuff she doesn't know about delivered?

hlknvlcn60
02-19-2017, 01:00 PM
Every spring I go down and clean the slave area up and flush out the fluid as mentioned and my clutch continues to work like a dream.