PDA

View Full Version : Better air flow with stock air cleaner

JD Hog
01-18-2017, 11:08 AM
Are there any options for better airflow and keeping the stock air cleaner setup that could be set back to stock if needed. I know that when doing this most riders cut out the crossover pipe between the jugs and have the right side setup with the air filter. I would like to help the bike breathe easier but not destroy any stock items when doing this. I don't mind removing items that can be installed later to make it stock again but don't want to modify it if it can't be made stock again in the future.

recumbentbob
01-18-2017, 11:21 AM
I think you can put Chuckster's air kit on and leave the cross over tube in place.
He can confirm this. He makes quality products.

http://chucksterscustoms.com/

JD Hog
01-18-2017, 02:50 PM
I think you can put Chuckster's air kit on and leave the cross over tube in place.
He can confirm this. He makes quality products.

http://chucksterscustoms.com/

I will check with him on that. He does make quality products as I had him lengthen both my brake pedal and shift arm and they turned out awesome.

Peg
01-18-2017, 02:54 PM
I had Chuckster's BAK on my Voyager for a time, and left the cross-over tube in place. I took the BAK off to clean the filter and thought I'd put the OEM airbox with K&N filter back on just to try it out with the flash. It's still that way 6 months later (I'm liking the less noise). So yes, Chuckster's BAK is reversible.

JD Hog
01-18-2017, 03:09 PM
I had Chuckster's BAK on my Voyager for a time, and left the cross-over tube in place. I took the BAK off to clean the filter and thought I'd put the OEM airbox with K&N filter back on just to try it out with the flash. It's still that way 6 months later (I'm liking the less noise). So yes, Chuckster's BAK is reversible.

Thanks for the info Peg, is it much noisier with the BAK?

redjay
01-18-2017, 03:30 PM
Chucksters BAK is noisier than the stock set up. Some people don't mind the extra noise, some people could not live with it. Any BAK is noisier than the stock set up.

The 1700 does not have a cross over tube that needs to be cut. It is a better set up than the earlier 1500/1600's. When you take off the left side air cleaner box it detaches the crossover tube from the right side, no cutting required.

JD Hog
01-18-2017, 03:36 PM
Thanks guys, I just got off the phone with Joe and he said the same as what's been posted here. I will most likely do this when I have the extra money or in another 1000 miles when I will need to replace the air filter. I can just put that money towards the BAK instead of a new filter.

Peg
01-18-2017, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the info Peg, is it much noisier with the BAK?

There was a "hammering" noise I couldn't get used to, and I often confused it as being ping. I went back to OEM to see if it was quieter (it was), and to reassure myself that after the flash, I had no ping. There's enough of a power gain with the flash that I don't notice any difference whatever airbox is on there.

redjay
01-18-2017, 04:09 PM
A BAK is to be used in conjunction with an aftermarket fuel processor, or better still with an ECU reprogram.

JD Hog
01-18-2017, 05:28 PM
There was a "hammering" noise I couldn't get used to, and I often confused it as being ping. I went back to OEM to see if it was quieter (it was), and to reassure myself that after the flash, I had no ping. There's enough of a power gain with the flash that I don't notice any difference whatever airbox is on there.

That's interesting, may rethink spending the money if you don't receive more HP with the BAK.

Kopperhed
01-22-2017, 04:53 PM
Are there any options for better airflow and keeping the stock air cleaner setup that could be set back to stock if needed. I know that when doing this most riders cut out the crossover pipe between the jugs and have the right side setup with the air filter. I would like to help the bike breathe easier but not destroy any stock items when doing this. I don't mind removing items that can be installed later to make it stock again but don't want to modify it if it can't be made stock again in the future.

I got the Thunder Air kit that uses the stock right side cover on top of the air filter.... remove stock backing plate on right side, install new backing plate with filter, nothing that can't be undone. I lef the stock airbox on the left side, no need to remove it, it's just not in the loop now.

rick6375
01-23-2017, 12:08 AM
I got the Thunder Air kit that uses the stock right side cover on top of the air filter.... remove stock backing plate on right side, install new backing plate with filter, nothing that can't be undone. I lef the stock airbox on the left side, no need to remove it, it's just not in the loop now.

I had this same setup, and reinstalled the stock filter, the noise from the intake got annoying to me after awhile. I plan to put a K&N filter in next month.

Snake Ranch
01-23-2017, 06:52 AM
I too thought I would go to the K&N filter. But when I received the filter I noticed it was made of soft plastic and the corners would bend so they would not contact the small o-ring seal.

I called K&N, sent them pictures, and explained my concerns.

They said this is the way they make them and they sent me another new filter.

Against my better judgment I installed the K&N filter. After about 3,000 miles I pulled the filter and low and behold there were two dirt tracks, one in each corner where the dirt was getting past the seal.

I put an OEM filter in and tossed the K&N. In MHO it ain't worth the time and money. :tup::tup:

smokier
01-28-2017, 09:08 AM

+1 on this. Did the same thing. Couldnt get comfortable with the additional noise. Made me think too much about what was happening in the engine and not enough 'enjoying the ride'.:tup:

denny 606
01-28-2017, 09:19 PM
+1 on this. Did the same thing. Couldnt get comfortable with the additional noise. Made me think too much about what was happening in the engine and not enough 'enjoying the ride'.:tup:

I don't know much about the 1700 but does it have the air solenoids underneath the right side like the 1500 and 1600? If it does unplug them and tape up the connectors real good and see if the hammering , tapping noise goes away.

Like I said I'm no authority on 1700's but Ma Kaw doesn't change what works for them too often so I thought I'd throw that out there . You may not even have the airsolenoids on your bikes, just asking.

smokier
01-29-2017, 07:50 AM
Greetings Denny,
You may well be right. However, the other 'gains' of the air box change were not realized by me. The IVANizing did, so have zero need to try again.
If I was trying to get the best performance numbers from the bike, maybe. But then again, is the Vaq the right bike to be trying to tweak every pony out of? :) I just wanna ride a dependable, reliable bike. :)

JD Hog
01-29-2017, 12:49 PM
I pulled the trigger on the BAK from Joe Norris and it is a great mod to the bike. I did not notice any hammering noise but the temps were only in the upper 50's so I will see what happens this summer.

It did not seem loud to me but I have been used to the stage one noise on both of my Harley's in the past. I also wear a modular helmet with good quality ear plugs that have a noise reduction of 33db. I was still able to hear the audio through the speakers at the same level as before.

I don't know if there was any power gain with the BAK because I just had recently added the Cobra Tri Flo slip ons two weeks before and only road it for 50 miles before adding the BAK. I am not an aggressive rider so I'm not looking for a lot of power gain but want the bike to run as efficient as possible. It does sound much better with the BAK over the stock air cleaner.

The BAK, Cobra Tri Flo slip ons and Ivanized ECU was a great route for me to go.

Thanks Joe for a great product once again :tup: :tup:

Eugene
01-29-2017, 02:28 PM
I pulled the trigger on the BAK from Joe Norris and it is a great mod to the bike. I did not notice any hammering noise but the temps were only in the upper 50's so I will see what happens this summer.

It did not seem loud to me but I have been used to the stage one noise on both of my Harley's in the past. I also wear a modular helmet with good quality ear plugs that have a noise reduction of 33db. I was still able to hear the audio through the speakers at the same level as before.

I don't know if there was any power gain with the BAK because I just had recently added the Cobra Tri Flo slip ons two weeks before and only road it for 50 miles before adding the BAK. I am not an aggressive rider so I'm not looking for a lot of power gain but want the bike to run as efficient as possible. It does sound much better with the BAK over the stock air cleaner.

The BAK, Cobra Tri Flo slip ons and Ivanized ECU was a great route for me to go.

Thanks Joe for a great product once again :tup: :tup:
JD Hog, what kind of Chuckster's air kit have you acquired open or not? Have you kept stock right/left covers?

JD Hog
01-29-2017, 04:36 PM
JD Hog, what kind of Chuckster's air kit have you acquired open or not? Have you kept stock right/left covers?

Eugene, I used the one for the 1700 that is open at the back side and uses the stock right side cover. I kept the left side cover all stock. This gives a total stock look but you still have the better air flow.

http://chucksterscustoms.com/product/bak-1500-1600-1700/

warrbucks222
02-01-2017, 09:56 PM
I finally got the k&n air filter for my '12 Nomad 1700. Ordered online from k&n for 60 bucks vs 85 at the Kaw shop, grimacing sinc d stock only costs 30., til I read instructions saying no cleaning for 50k miles. Wow, that's 5 stock filters. Bought the cleaning kit already 13 bucks. Best thing is noticeable, significantly improved throttle response immediately. Haven't seen significant improvement in mpg, But been running at 80 getting only 42mpg. Usually 44 at 70, 46 at 60. K&N IS the way to go. Glad I didn't spend 400+ on big air mods.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

warrbucks222
02-01-2017, 10:05 PM
I finally got the k&n air filter for my '12 Nomad 1700. Ordered online from k&n for 60 bucks vs 85 at the Kaw shop, grimacing sinc d stock only costs 30., til I read instructions saying no cleaning for 50k miles. Wow, that's 5 stock filters. Bought the cleaning kit already 13 bucks. Best thing is noticeable, significantly improved throttle response immediately. Haven't seen significant improvement in mpg, But been running at 80 getting only 42mpg. Usually 44 at 70, 46 at 60. K&N IS the way to go. Glad I didn't spend 400+ on big air mods.

BTW, my k&n fit perfectly, even better than stock, especially the rubber seal. I'll stick with K&N. Can't wait to feel the power when temps improve.

Eugene
02-04-2017, 03:17 PM
Now of the quality of air filtration. No doubt, a stock filter works better, providing longer life of engine.

smokier
02-05-2017, 07:14 AM
Now of the quality of air filtration. No doubt, a stock filter works better, providing longer life of engine.

If the K&N is kept oiled and conditioned, I *believe* it filters as well as a stock. The key is oiled; if they get dry, no argument, they will let larger particles through than a stock. As with most things, proper maintenance is key.
The bonuses are two fold. 1: Longer life (with proper care), 2: Better air flow.

Not trying to start a debate or argument, just inserting a perspective. :D

Ride safe,