PDA

View Full Version : Lithium battery

mrt
08-22-2016, 03:41 PM
Does anybody have any input on Lithium batteries? I am planning to replace my lead acid battery before next year and am interested in the Shorai in particular. Bike master brand also?

recumbentbob
08-22-2016, 04:06 PM
Interesting article, be sure and read the whole thing.
Me I'm staying with the traditional battery. I like the Yuasa brand the best.
been using them for 20+ years and they have served me well.

It is my understanding that Lithium batteries do not do well below 0 deg C that would be 32 deg F

lithium batteries are not a good choice for an electrical system with a constant, or parasitic draw. Things like an alarm system or clock that is constantly on are bad news for the lithium.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-battery/li-ion-motorcycle-battery/shorai-vs-ballistic-li-ion-motorcycle-battery.htm

Top Cat
08-22-2016, 06:02 PM
Have you not seen the hover boards bursting into flames because of the lithium batteries :wtf:

bladenbullet
08-22-2016, 06:42 PM
the possible instability of a lithium battery in a moving vehicle located under my ass is not what I would call a desirable position to be in...factor in the cost and less than probable longer life expectancy and its not what I would term a win...

Lumberjack
08-22-2016, 07:14 PM
IMO Lithium iron are not practical:

They cost at least 2x more
We do not need the weight savings
They do not work well in colder climates. Battery must be warmed up (ie turn headlight on) for a couple of minutes before they can achieve full cranking power. So you must warm up battery, then bike...
Most bikes electrical system was not designed with them in mind.

They do have longer cranking power IMO but you will burn out the starter if you test this theory. Save your money and buy a good AGM such as Odessey and change it prematurely.

Lumberjack
08-22-2016, 07:17 PM
FYI Lithium ion batteries in hover boards are not the same as lithium iron for motorcycle. They do not heat up like the former

Have you not seen the hover boards bursting into flames because of the lithium batteries :wtf:

H8BUGZ
08-22-2016, 08:09 PM
I was always told that lithium tool batteries should be stored in the house with a controlled temperature. Away from extreme heat and cold.

I got a new Micro Start that went stone dead, in a saddlebag, in three days. I assumed the exhaust heat radiating upward killed it. That said, where do you store it on a bike that's not hot at some point. I'm with recumbentbob, Yuasa my first choice. No special charger needed either.

JD Hog
08-22-2016, 09:19 PM
I was always told that lithium tool batteries should be stored in the house with a controlled temperature. Away from extreme heat and cold.

I got a new Micro Start that went stone dead, in a saddlebag, in three days. I assumed the exhaust heat radiating upward killed it. That said, where do you store it on a bike that's not hot at some point. I'm with recumbentbob, Yuasa my first choice. No special charger needed either.

I have the Deltran brand and it is in my saddlebag all the time and will last for months before needing a charge. Here is a link from another thread that I posted a while back.

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/showpost.php?p=667914&postcount=5

Maybe have yours checked out for a problem.

Top Cat
08-23-2016, 06:02 PM
FYI Lithium ion batteries in hover boards are not the same as lithium iron for motorcycle. They do not heat up like the former

It makes no difference to me, I was making a joke.
I use Yuasa batteries.