PDA

View Full Version : Saddlebag lid screws

Scootergptx
07-12-2016, 08:33 AM
Normally, everything I put in the saddlebag is on the right side. Today when I left for work, I had something to put in the left side. Didn't really notice anything till I went to close it. The front hinge had lost both screws holding the lid to the bag.

Looks like when I get home tonight, I'll be replacing those, and putting lock tite on all the others as well.

Had just washed the bike Sunday, and didn't notice the hinge being loose when I was wiping down around the bag.

Peg
07-12-2016, 03:15 PM
Normally, everything I put in the saddlebag is on the right side. Today when I left for work, I had something to put in the left side. Didn't really notice anything till I went to close it. The front hinge had lost both screws holding the lid to the bag.

Looks like when I get home tonight, I'll be replacing those, and putting lock tite on all the others as well.

Had just washed the bike Sunday, and didn't notice the hinge being loose when I was wiping down around the bag.

Be careful using loctite anywhere around your plastics... I know that the Voyager trunk reacts badly, and the plastic goes brittle & crumbles away. I've not heard any similar reports involving the Vaq bags, but I think I'd use star washers just to play it safe?

Scootergptx
07-12-2016, 03:25 PM
Thanks, I'll have to see what it screws into. It was 5:15am so I really couldn't see much other than the screws were gone.

Gypsy Dragon
07-12-2016, 03:46 PM
I've lost the screws on my Vaquero a few times, even with loctite. I keep a couple extras in the bags now.

Scootergptx
07-12-2016, 03:58 PM
Good idea. Not like they're taking up a lot of space. My luck says mine will probably do the same thing.

Scootergptx
07-12-2016, 04:10 PM
You don't happen to have the size bolt it takes, do you?

Think the parts diagram only gave it as 4x22.

Scootergptx
07-12-2016, 08:59 PM
Took one of the bolts up to home depot and got replacements. The bolts that hold the hinge to the main bag have cap screws. Fortunately, they were still in the bag. Put a drop of lock on them. Checked all the other bolts while I was there. Every one of the main bag bolts were loose. Checked the ones on the bag doors, and they were all good.

Only takes a few minutes, I'd recommend checking them on your bikes too.

Lumberjack
07-17-2016, 12:01 PM
Use a star lock washer