PDA

View Full Version : New to Mesa Arizona

joeykid
05-30-2016, 07:42 PM
Hey everyone new to the Mesa Arizona area and wondering if anyone had any cool places to ride, tips on riding gear for this weather and best time to ride.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

ponch
05-30-2016, 10:35 PM
Hey everyone new to the Mesa Arizona area and wondering if anyone had any cool places to ride, tips on riding gear for this weather and best time to ride.

I am from Long Island. Lived there 40 years before moving to Iowa and then AZ. This time of the year, head to higher ground, either the Prescott side of the 17 or up 87 and head to Springerville/Hannigan Meadows and out that way or up to Happy Jack and on to Flag. My advice is to cover your arms and torso, meaning wear a jacket. Going with a tee shirt will get you in trouble. One, you'll over heat and dehydrate more quickly, you'll get sunburned and if you go down, you'll get burns to go along with your road rash. I wear a leather jacket and open the ends of the sleeves up and let the air go up my arms and to my torso and out my neck. If it gets real hot, I can wet my shirt underneath. I've seen in get up to 119 on the freeways and I've felt the heat from pavement through motorcycle boots when stopped. It's no joke.

MarkG
05-30-2016, 11:10 PM
Asphalt will be around 195 degrees in the summer. If you are the least bit thirsty you are already a gallon of water behind. Caffeine and alcohol are dehydrators stay away from them the first year until you know your limits. Exposed skin will burn from the heat, hot wind, etc., Ponch is right wear a jacket, gloves, and a helmet. There will be disagreements but I have found the full face helmet to be more comfortable if I am going any distance. Warm and miserable underneath but you can't touch the outside of the helmet or the gear with your bare hands after being out for awhile.

You are just beginning to experience the heat it hasn't started yet. Early morning or very late at night are more comfortable. It is not unusual to go over 100 shortly after 9am. For the first few rides until you become acclimatized keep them short, stop often and drink plenty of water. Do not go anyplace near the freeways during rush hours until you get used to the area. They turn into a parking lot and it is not good for you or the bike.

One final note. Depending on where you are living do not set the air conditioner to a comfortable 68 degrees. The electric bill will give you a heart attack. My house is set at 78 in the summer, some of the guys are lucky and can set it slightly lower.

joeykid
05-30-2016, 11:47 PM
Thanks brothers. I'm from Bklyn ponch but I've been in the carolinas for alot of years. I definitely will be riding in the evening. And I always drink plenty of alkaline water its my business

ponch
05-31-2016, 01:37 AM
I've been away from new york for 14 years.

Sent from my iPhone, inspected and certified by the NSA

Rasta
06-01-2016, 07:08 PM
Welcome from Central Iowa!

cactusjack
06-02-2016, 01:32 AM
Welcome from Gilbert. There are lots of great places to ride in AZ. You'll get a taste of summer here in the next few days. I'll ride when it's 110 or hotter, but I personally don't find it very enjoyable anymore. This will be my 17th summer here. As Ponch said, head for the mountains to the east or north this time of year. Be sure to drink lots of water!

ringadingh
06-02-2016, 08:04 AM
Welcome aboard!

The Saint
06-27-2016, 12:44 PM
I just moved from Las Vegas and my brother, a fellow vaquero owner, and I took a ride up the Coronado trail up to alpine and then to pine top. Was a great ride along the white mountains. I highly recommend it.

ponch
06-27-2016, 02:26 PM
I just moved from Las Vegas and my brother, a fellow vaquero owner, and I took a ride up the Coronado trail up to alpine and then to pine top. Was a great ride along the white mountains. I highly recommend it.

It's a lot cooler.