PDA

View Full Version : Verne "Old dog" Memorial NCR rally 2016

Rasta
10-27-2015, 09:35 PM
Verne "Old dog" Memorial NCR rally 2016
The North Central Regional Rally for 2016 is going to be a rally in remembrance of Verne L Arnesen(Old dog), a NCR member, who passed away while attending a rally in Antlers Oklahoma this year.RIP

When: June 21st 2016 to June 23rd 2016

Where: Hillsboro Wisconsin

Hotel: Hillsboro Hotel
1235 Water Ave
Hillsboro, WI 54634

Phone: 608-489-3000

Website: http://www.hotelhillsboro.com/ (http://www.hotelhillsboro.com/)

When calling make sure to mention Vulcan bagger rally to get the discounted room rates

Posted on behalf of rayski NCR leader :cheers:

GIBBY
10-27-2015, 09:52 PM
I'm in, have my reservations for a Double Queen Suite.
Great choice of location.

BudMan
10-28-2015, 08:41 AM
Calling it The Verne "Old Dog" Memorial Rally is a great idea.
You NorthCentral guys are a classy bunch.

dmac
10-28-2015, 12:14 PM
Sal and i are in .Made our reservation with double queen suite

glwilson
10-28-2015, 02:58 PM
I booked a room if still welcome to do so.

At this point, I am arriving later Monday and departing Friday.

See you all then! :cheers:

GIBBY
10-28-2015, 03:17 PM
Of course you are welcome, you are one of the core NCR members plus you always bring Kendra along with you and everyone likes Kendra :lmao:
I am also arriving Monday and leaving Friday.

Framer
10-28-2015, 06:00 PM

:yep: :yep: :yep:

glwilson
10-28-2015, 06:20 PM
Of course you are welcome, you are one of the core NCR members

plus you always bring Kendra along with you and everyone likes Kendra :lmao:

I am also arriving Monday and leaving Friday.

I am more than happy to say; I hear that a lot...:D

glwilson
10-28-2015, 06:25 PM
Just as a footnote to those making reservations:

Michelle at the hotel told me only one-type of room has refrigerators. Cannot remember whether it was the King bed or Double Queen rooms that have one.

Be sure to ask if it may make a difference for you.

The good news is, Hillsboro is a very small town so nothing is too far away if needed.

Rasta
10-28-2015, 07:22 PM

Yeah, that's how they roll....some of us just try to fit in !!

Cajunrider
10-28-2015, 10:20 PM
I would love to make this one

GIBBY
10-28-2015, 11:14 PM

Come on up to God's Country. Wisconsin is awesome and we would love to have you.

Rasta
10-29-2015, 10:41 AM

You could make it a two week road trip by starting at the south central rally in Salem then heading up to Hillsboro :D

Rasta
11-02-2015, 07:50 PM
I am sure as the planning continues for this rally, Greg, GIBBY and Ray, who know the Wisconsin riding area like the back of their hands, will be putting together some ride plans. But for the moment I found these ideas from the hotel info to give you some idea on rides.

Route 1 - Download La Crosse (http://www.hotelhillsboro.com/images/La-Crosse.pdf)
104 Miles
2 Hours 59 Minutes
La Crosse - St Joseph - Middle Ridge - Cashton - Ontario - Rockton - Westby - Coon Valley
Route 2 - Download Black River Country (http://www.hotelhillsboro.com/images/Black-River-Falls.pdf)
219 Miles
3 Hours and 53 Minutes
Black River Falls - Millston - Cataract - Sparta - Rockland - Bangor - Mindoro - Melrose
Route 3 - Download Hillsboro (http://www.hotelhillsboro.com/images/Hillsboro.pdf)
167 Miles
4 Hours 28 Minutes
Hillsboro - Norwalk - Sparta - Cataract - Black River Falls - Tomah
Route 4 - Download Onalaska (http://www.hotelhillsboro.com/images/Onalaska.pdf)
150 Miles
3 Hours 58 Minutes
Onalaska - Trempeleau - Fountain City - Arcadia - Black River Falls - Melrose - Mindoro
Route 5 - Download Tomah (http://www.hotelhillsboro.com/images/Tomah.pdf)
134 Miles
3 Hours 34 Minutes
Tomah - Warrens - Millston - Cataract - Four Corners - Bangor - Middle Ridge - Cashton - Sparta
Route 6 - Download Sparta (http://www.hotelhillsboro.com/images/Sparta.pdf)
145 Miles
3 Hours 48 Minutes
Sparta - Norwalk - Ontario - Rockton - La Farge - Viola - Viroqua - Genoa

http://www.hotelhillsboro.com/images/Hillsboro.pdf

Rasta
11-03-2015, 08:35 PM
Well the mess I created with the rally thread I have managed to get them straightened out now that I have a little access to do this kind of stuff. As per Greg's heads up and advice I have managed to move this original thread back to here so people can post stuff to it if they wish, unlike when I had it on the Rallies and Ride section. I did put another thread on that section so people can find it easily when they are looking for information regarding rallies that are coming up. That thread will only be for informational purpose since as noted before, you can not post any thing to it.

Thanks for your understanding :D

biscuitsngravy
11-19-2015, 12:13 PM
I'm in! Reserved a single room on the 1st floor. Looking forward to this rally! BnG

glwilson
12-13-2015, 05:53 PM
I am sure as the planning continues for this rally, Greg, GIBBY and Ray, who know the Wisconsin riding area like the back of their hands, will be putting together some ride plans. But for the moment I found these ideas from the hotel info to give you some idea on rides.
http://www.hotelhillsboro.com/images/Hillsboro.pdf

Those rides should be fine for what most will want or feel comfortable with. They are mostly more relaxing routes not requiring a lot of work. They do drift through the valleys and hills, giving anyone riding them a nice ride with some good views.

However, one of the routes runs for bit on County Road P; which is one of my favorite roads in the entire area. It is mostly a more narrow road with several tight twisted turns, going on for several miles. Anyone riding CR-P does not have to worry though. They can take it at their own speed and still enjoy it. If that route is run so that you ride CR-P from the west to the east, it is better in that direction. It takes you through some of my favorite valleys in that area.

If anyone is wanting a bit more challenging routes just ask me. I have quite a few I can recommend.

I am not sure if it was just my computer acting-up; but I could not get the last two routes to come up on the brochure. The brochure should be downloadable off the net though for anyone wanting to look at it.

Good job Amin. :cheers:

glwilson
12-13-2015, 05:56 PM
I'm in! Reserved a single room on the 1st floor. Looking forward to this rally! BnG

I was wondering if you would make it Dave. It will be great to see you there! :cheers:

We have to get a few more people to obligate themselves though. We only have a few who have committed to the rally.

glwilson
12-13-2015, 06:32 PM
For what it is worth, the following link is to my Adobe-Slate site where I put together several posts about the different areas I ride my motorcycle.

This particular link is to one about the Driftless Area; the area where this rally will be based.

Maybe it will help to entice a few who are not familiar with the area to show for this rally. :cheers:

https://slate.adobe.com/cp/iBGU9/

Rasta
12-13-2015, 08:00 PM
Thanks Greg. I am sure we will have more people coming as the new year comes around. I am sure people are looking forward to seeing maybe some great routes you might be able to plan out for group or individual rides, like you did for the 2012 regional rally Greg :D

GIBBY
12-28-2015, 11:08 AM
For what it is worth, the following link is to my Adobe-Slate site where I put together several posts about the different areas I ride my motorcycle.

This particular link is to one about the Driftless Area; the area where this rally will be based.

Maybe it will help to entice a few who are not familiar with the area to show for this rally. :cheers:

Great job Greg. I too enjoy riding in this area, especially when I am chasing that beautiful Limited you ride.

glwilson
12-28-2015, 05:35 PM
Great job Greg. I too enjoy riding in this area, especially when I am chasing that beautiful Limited you ride.

Yeah I would much rather be chasing each other around that area right now!:D :cheers:

We are in the middle of a relentless ice storm here now. >:(

GIBBY
12-28-2015, 08:32 PM
Greg, your powers of observation are deminishing with age. Agreed ?

Rasta
12-29-2015, 12:53 PM

I agree! I noticed it right away :D

Framer
12-29-2015, 08:48 PM
Mike did you paint your bike or did it just change colors on its own

GIBBY
12-29-2015, 09:41 PM
Actually, I got a new leftover 2015 at a great price, couldn't pass it up. Back to Black.

Framer
12-29-2015, 09:52 PM
Actually, I got a new leftover 2015 at a great price, couldn't pass it up. Back to Black.

Nice!!!

glwilson
12-30-2015, 07:23 AM

Apparently... :D I just cannot keep-up with all the bikes you are buying all the time. :D:cheers:

Congrats on the new bike Mike! :cheers:

stevejs
01-01-2016, 07:50 PM
I Will be coming on the 20th. There may be two others also. I will let you know at a later date. We will be camping, so if you know of any camp ground please let me know.

glwilson
01-02-2016, 10:34 AM
I Will be coming on the 20th. There may be two others also. I will let you know at a later date. We will be camping, so if you know of any camp ground please let me know.

Camping close to Hillsboro is limited.

The closest is right within Hillsboro in their park. It is a primitive campsite; thus no showers and etc. Here is the info on it:

Camping - Albert Field Memorial Park
The City of Hillsboro offers free camping in Albert Field Memorial Park. Primitive sites can be reserved at City Hall (123 Mechanic Street) or by calling (608)489-2521. Please contact the City prior to setting up camp.

Another choice is in the Wildcat State Park.
They have various types of sites and do have shower facilities.
However, I am not sure how easy it will be to get to their sites on a motorcycle. Although I have ridden in the area for years, I have not ever ventured into the park's camp grounds, since the roads appeared to be gravel on hills (steep hills). You could always call the park and ask one of the rangers for more details if you want. Overall, Wildcat S.P. is a beautiful park with some of the highest peaks in the entire area, and a clean, clear spring-fed river running though it that many canoe and fish on.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/wildcat/camping.html

Wild Bill's Hill Campground:
The last I knew, there also is a campground in Union Center (just a short distance east of Hillsboro -- five-minute ride) called Wild Bill's Hill. However, I cannot find a number for it. If it is still in business (and I believe it more than likely is) then, that might be your best bet. Do some searches and see if you can find their number. You could also call another business's number in Union Center and ask them about the campground's number. It is a very small town and everyone knows everyone. People in this area of Wisconsin are generally very nice and helpful; especially with tourists, as it is a big part of the area's revenue.

I will continue to think about other possible sites in the weeks coming; but as of now these are the closest I can think of. Others I know of are quite a few miles away from Hillsboro.

stevejs
01-05-2016, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the information. I will check it out and let you know. There is a campground in WONEWOC,WI about 9 miles south east of hillsboro. Thank all ofyou for doing this for Vern. I was in Ar. with hi
m and we rode alot together here in north Mn. He will be missed.

landman
01-05-2016, 07:24 PM

thanks for the link Greg.it peaked my interest in riding that area.Look forward
to seeing you in Redlodge.

biscuitsngravy
02-06-2016, 03:38 PM
I will be there on June 20th and leave on the morning of June 24th. Donna will be with me and will search the local antique stores when I'm riding. (She still loves this old antique!)
BnG

Rasta
02-12-2016, 01:38 PM
I am going to the SC rally in Salem MO the week before and then going to this one. Plan is to be there on Monday. Have not reserved a room yet...I have asked a friend here in town if he wants to go along so waiting for his answer before I make a reservation.

biscuitsngravy
02-13-2016, 12:06 AM
I've been doing some strong thinkin' about our "Old Dog" Memorial NCR Rally this coming June.

I'm planning something special that we can really enjoy together, and at the same time honor a good man and his memory.

A few years ago I had a great little summer business selling hot dogs at small towns here in north central Iowa. I had a banner draped across the top of my hot dog cart that said, "Sprocket's Quarter-Pound All Beef Hot Dogs" "If you don't stop and eat, we'll both starve!"

My wife Donna and I are going to trailer my bike to the Hillsboro Hotel, with all the equipment for making really, really good steamed hot dogs, chips, and condiments. All you can eat.... but bring your own drinks. I'll also bring a table and a few chairs. I'll bring a fire pit too. I don't know yet where we'll be able set everything up at the hotel. Maybe the parking lot or maybe in the backyard. Maybe we can spend an evening looking into the fire as our bikes are resting a few yards away.

We will donate and furnish all the good eats but we will have a big jar with a sign that reads, "Free Will Offering For The Family of Verne "Old Dog" Arnesen". After the rally, someone will hopefully be able to hand carry the donation to the family in Minnesota.

I expect there will be smiles in Heaven. BnG

Rasta
02-23-2016, 10:31 AM
That is one great deed. Looking forward to it!!

Badger: Black Hills
02-25-2016, 07:32 PM
Sounds great! Looking forward to seeing the two of you again.

Rasta
02-25-2016, 07:54 PM
Sounds great! Looking forward to seeing the two of you again.

Same here Noel! When are you planning on getting there? I don't remember but are going to the South Central rally too in Salem?

Rasta
03-04-2016, 01:37 PM
Made my reservation today. Getting there Monday and leaving Sunday is the plan. I look at the internet a couple hours later and it says, " Deadly infection hits Wisconsin" Didn't read up on what kind of infection but "Deadly" was good enough! I hope they have it under control by the time the rally rolls around:hmm:

glwilson
03-04-2016, 07:45 PM
I look at the internet a couple hours later and it says, " Deadly infection hits Wisconsin" Didn't read up on what kind of infection but "Deadly" was good enough! I hope they have it under control by the time the rally rolls around:hmm:

It is a common infection that typically does not cause anyone any problems or symptoms. However, it has affected around 44 people between Dec and Jan. The victims, of which a few died, were all above the age of 65.

It was most noted that this infection does not bother children... so you are going to be just fine Amin! :lmao:

I am sorry... couldn't resist buddy. :D:cheers:

spil99
03-04-2016, 09:58 PM
Hello NCR looking forward to seeing every one this summer. Booked a room will be there Monday.

Rasta
03-04-2016, 10:43 PM
It was most noted that this infection does not bother children... so you are going to be just fine Amin! :lmao:

I am sorry... couldn't resist buddy. :D:cheers:
That was a good one Greg! You had me cracking up over here!! Thanks for the info too!

Hello NCR looking forward to seeing every one this summer. Booked a room will be there Monday.

Looking forward in seeing you and Gail, Mike!!

rusty1
03-25-2016, 06:48 AM
Martha and I have reservations and will be there late Monday.

Rasta
03-25-2016, 07:47 AM
Cool! Looking forward to seeing you two again!!

kawgirl
03-30-2016, 09:05 PM
Wish I could make this one but I'll be heading to Helen, GA for the Southeastern rally. Ya'll have fun and be safe!

Rasta
03-30-2016, 10:19 PM
Wish I could make this one but I'll be heading to Helen, GA for the Southeastern rally. Ya'll have fun and be safe!

Yeah why did you guys have it the same week? I would have tried to make to yours too if it was a different time

plumber63
04-20-2016, 08:27 AM
I am going to the SC rally in Salem MO the week before and then going to this one. Plan is to be there on Monday. Have not reserved a room yet...I have asked a friend here in town if he wants to go along so waiting for his answer before I make a reservation.

I'm also going to the SC rally and looking at going to this one also. If we leave the SC on Saturday the 18th should get to the NC rally on Sunday the 19th.
Do you have a side trip why you won't get there till Monday? Or am I looking/missing something on the time/ distance to get there?

Not sure if we are going yet, This will be our first long road trip. By doing both rallies, will be more miles than I normally ride all year just on short day ride around home. (my poor bike gets neglected for work.:ohno:)

Framer
04-20-2016, 01:33 PM
I'm also going to the SC rally and looking at going to this one also. If we leave the SC on Saturday the 18th should get to the NC rally on Sunday the 19th.
Do you have a side trip why you won't get there till Monday? Or am I looking/missing something on the time/ distance to get there?

Not sure if we are going yet, This will be our first long road trip. By doing both rallies, will be more miles than I normally ride all year just on short day ride around home. (my poor bike gets neglected for work.:ohno:)

Amin get lost and side tracked a lot.

Rasta
04-20-2016, 09:58 PM
Amin get lost and side tracked a lot.

That is true, I do get lost taking the long way to get to a place. There are some folks that will be attending both rallies and not sure what their plans are but since I live in Iowa I was going to stop at home...at least for the night and make sure the wife has not moved some other fella in to replace me, just incase she thinks I am lost like Framer does :D:. I might not even go home so she can have her two weeks vacation from me :shrug: just continue being lost until I get the rally :tup:

Rookie13
05-12-2016, 10:22 PM
I will more than likely be going-question for those attending the NCR rally in Hillsboro, WI. - my wife would like to know if there will be any other wives/girlfriends going? I told her she's welcome to go with. (Which leads to the indecision of on her bike or with me....ugh.)

Rasta
05-13-2016, 10:47 AM
There will be wives and girlfriend so yes please bring her along.

Rookie13
05-13-2016, 09:22 PM
Thanks, Rasta- she'll be much more comfortable knowing that. She had the assumption that it was just "the boys". I reminded her of what happens when we assume:D

Rasta
05-16-2016, 10:37 PM
Thanks, Rasta- she'll be much more comfortable knowing that. She had the assumption that it was just "the boys". I reminded her of what happens when we assume:D

Yup. I know what you are talking about.

I should call the hotel and see how many reservations they have under the VBA. It might give us a better idea of attendance than the pole we have going here.

rayski271
05-17-2016, 11:40 PM
there will be other ladies in attendance and they were only going to hold rooms till sunday the 22 of may so get your rooms folks see you all soon

plumber63
05-18-2016, 05:56 PM
Ok I just made my reservations for this one too. Talked to a Lady named Kay.
She said that the block out is for just the 20th and 21st.. is this corrected? I got that the rally was the 21st 22nd and 23rd. So we check out would be the morning of the 24th.
If the 24th departure is correct, who ever is incharge of this rally needs to contact the hotel and straightening that out. Right now check out is the 23rd.
Also she and her husband ride a 1600 nomad and may join us on a ride.

Rasta
05-18-2016, 10:26 PM
I did call about the time you made your reservation and she was telling me about Troy making reservations. When I was talking to hear she seemed to be confused on what was happening . I think she said she wanted you to call back in the morning so other lady could get it straightened out. Most people have reservations starting Monday and staying to or through Sunday.

When getting off the phone she did ask me if it would be ok for her and hubby to join us on the rides since he had a Nomad. I told her they were more than welcome to join us.

Let me know if have issues or get it straightened out tomorrow. My cell is 515-771-0501

plumber63
05-18-2016, 10:43 PM
I did call about the time you made your reservation and she was telling me about Troy making reservations. When I was talking to hear she seemed to be confused on what was happening . I think she said she wanted you to call back in the morning so other lady could get it straightened out. Most people have reservations starting Monday and staying to or through Sunday.

When getting off the phone she did ask me if it would be ok for her and hubby to join us on the rides since he had a Nomad. I told her they were more than welcome to join us.

Let me know if have issues or get it straightened out tomorrow. My cell is 515-771-0501

Ok thanks I will call in the morning.

Rasta
05-19-2016, 10:31 AM
Talked to Michelle this morning and it looks like Troy got his reservation straightened out. She could not give me an exact number of VBA room reservations since everyone was coming at different times. She did say she would extend the reservation deadline until Monday so that people have time over the weekend to make reservations and instead of Saturday the 22nd

Rookie13
05-22-2016, 11:18 PM
Glad I checked this thread out again- totally forgot to get a room booked. Just got off phone with them. Still have three "suites" and more double queen rooms remaining. Spoke with Nicolle and she made the comment that it was a good time to have this event there- weekend before and after booked. Will be riding in Monday the 20th. Looking forward to meeting ya'll and get some ridin' in!

glwilson
05-26-2016, 08:59 PM
It's only a few more weeks away. Wonder who all is coming. Ummm... :hmm:

Rasta
06-01-2016, 07:36 PM
It's only a few more weeks away. Wonder who all is coming. Ummm... :hmm:

My guess is we might have 20 bikes or more.

Rasta
06-09-2016, 10:18 PM
Three wake UPS and I will be hitting the road to go to the South Central rally. From there on Saturday I will head to Chicago to see my cousin for a couple days. Then on Monday the 20th I will hook up with Ray to go the North Central rally (maybe can hook up with Greg too). My buddy that lives a block from me and that just bought a 1998 Vulcan 88 1500 will hook up with Biscuits and Gravy on Monday too and join us. I will share a room with him. See ya soon :wave:

Framer
06-10-2016, 04:07 PM
Three wake UPS and I will be hitting the road to go to the South Central rally. From there on Saturday I will head to Chicago to see my cousin for a couple days. Then on Monday the 20th I will hook up with Ray to go the North Central rally (maybe can hook up with Greg too). My buddy that lives a block from me and that just bought a 1998 Vulcan 88 1500 will hook up with Biscuits and Gravy on Monday too and join us. I will share a room with him. See ya soon :wave:

Down to two now:tup:

glwilson
06-10-2016, 04:40 PM
Then on Monday the 20th I will hook up with Ray to go the North Central rally (maybe can hook up with Greg too).

Unfortunately, I will not be going up there till the 21st, and that all depends on how my surgery goes on the 20th.

It is exploratory surgery, so I am hoping I will be able to drag myself up there. I'll drive if I have to. :D:cheers:

Rasta
06-11-2016, 10:13 PM
Unfortunately, I will not be going up there till the 21st, and that all depends on how my surgery goes on the 20th.

It is exploratory surgery, so I am hoping I will be able to drag myself up there. I'll drive if I have to. :D:cheers:

Wish you all the best with the surgery Greg. Hopefully we see ya Tuesday!

dmac
06-12-2016, 03:07 PM
Good luck with the surgery Greg. hope to see ya in Hillsboro.

dmac
06-12-2016, 03:22 PM
Say Rookie13,I willbe meeting Gibby at the Kwik-Trip on I90 in Dakota at 12:00 Monday the 20th if you want to hook up.

Rookie13
06-14-2016, 10:26 PM
That is actually a good possibility- I could leave earlier than originally planned. (Was gonna work til 3, but...screw it!). Like the idea- plan on it! Didn't know there was a kwik trip in Dakota. Thanks, dmac!

Badger: Black Hills
06-15-2016, 12:32 AM
Looking forward to seeing all of you at the rally. Ruth and I will be arriving Monday. Ride safe everyone!

glwilson
06-15-2016, 06:41 PM
Good luck with the surgery Greg. hope to see ya in Hillsboro.

Thanks Denny. I should more than survive the surgery, it is the results that may kill me later. But that would be later than the rally so, I will be there a day late and a bit sore.

Look forward to seeing you, Sally, and the gang. Lord knows, I need some time off. :D :cheers:

rayski271
06-16-2016, 06:27 PM
its coming quick will see you all monday and Tuesday

spil99
06-17-2016, 01:07 PM
Good luck Greg. See you next week !!!!!

GIBBY
06-17-2016, 03:50 PM
See you guys and gals on Monday or Tuesday, weather forecast is looking great.

rayski271
06-17-2016, 09:14 PM
come on Monday !!!!!!!

Rasta
06-18-2016, 05:10 PM
Yup, I am in your territory and looking for to hooking Monday for the ride to the rally.

GIBBY
06-20-2016, 12:33 PM
We are in Dakota, MN waiting for Denny and Sally so we can get on the road to Hillsboro. The weather is PERFECT.

Rasta
06-20-2016, 01:06 PM
In Madison with Ray and Kathy. Got about 90 miles to go . Quick lunch, fuel up and will be back on the road

BudMan
06-20-2016, 05:18 PM
Sounds like you guys are going to have a great time.

Rookie13
06-25-2016, 10:10 AM
Hey all! "Thrasher" and I made it back safe Thursday night. Sorry haven't gotten this posted earlier. Really had an awesome time with everyone in Hillsboro! And yes...I have dubbed the green Kawi-monster "Thrasher"! He bobs his head and wags his tail going down the road like he's at a rock show! Thanks again everybody! Keep in touch!

GIBBY
06-25-2016, 01:09 PM
So glad you joined us in Hillsboro, hope you had as much fun as we did. Thrasher looked awesome on your bike.