PDA

View Full Version : Western Rally Heat

dantama
06-16-2008, 07:34 PM
I'll show you guys what I do for the heat. I still ride when it's 110 degrees. :)

I picked up a Misty Mate pump misting bottle and mounted it to the front of the bike. It works better than you could imagine probably.

The bottle cost less than $20 at Big 5 sporting goods a few years ago, and I've been using it ever since when it gets hot. I just zip tie it on.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/dantama/bottlefromside.jpg

Look close and you can see it misting.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/dantama/water.jpg

I just thought I'd post it now, so that when you guys are dying in the heat, you don't ask why I didn't tell you http://s2.images.proboards.com/cheesy.gif

At the last rally in Kanab, everyone who rode behind me liked it :)

Idaho
06-17-2008, 06:49 AM
How does it work? Do you pump it up like a weed sprayer and let it spit at ya?

dantama
06-17-2008, 08:50 AM
How does it work? Do you pump it up like a weed sprayer and let it spit at ya?

Exactly

It doesn't have enough capacity to keep it on, but every now and then I reach up and give it some quick pumps and turn the valve on. That gets you a fine mist coming at you that works wonders on very hot days.

It works best when moving, the turbulence moves the mist around a lot, but it's nice at red lights too when you have to just sit and cook.

I just carry some water with me to refill it.

blowndodge
06-17-2008, 10:25 AM
I work by a Big 5. I'm going there on my lunch today Dan...

cactusjack
06-17-2008, 10:41 AM
There is a lot of discussion over the past couple days regarding the heat in Mesquite during our stay there. While I can't take credit for the decision to hold the rally in the Nevada desert in June, that's what was decided and Wolfman and I have tried to make the best of it.

Mesquite isn't like Phoenix, Las Vegas or Tucson, with hundreds of square miles of asphalt and concrete. It's a small town and should cool down nicely in the evenings and the mornings should be decent. By contrast, Phoenix was still 100 degrees at 10:00 last night, and was in the mid-80's when I left for work this morning.

We have purposely loaded the schedule for mornings and early afternoons, and we should all be back in Mesquite before the hottest time of the day. You can use this time to sit by the pool, sit in the bar, sit at a craps table or sit in your hotel room watching Jerry Springer. It's free time, do whatever suits you.

The big ride through Zion National Park will start early and we will be in the mountains of Utah for lunch at an elevation of ~6,000 ft. Zion itself is a relatively narrow canyon with very high, steep walls. These walls will afford relief from the heat in the form of shade. Truthfully, the warmest part of the ride will be the 30 miles between St. George Utah and Mesquite, which will be at highway speeds. Once we're North of St. George, we will start gaining elevation and find more moderate temperatures.

I live in these temperatures and can offer some advice: Carry and drink lots of water. Perspiration is the bodies air conditioning system and you need to consume water for this system to work. We don't want anyone to get sick.

Wolfman and I want to make sure everyone stays safe and has a great time at the rally.

blowndodge
06-17-2008, 11:38 AM
Does my Nomad have enough amps to run an air conditioner???

cactusjack
06-17-2008, 11:41 AM
Ever heard of a cool-vest? It absorbs water and cools you through evaporation? I have a buddy who swears by his. I've never tried one.

blowndodge
06-17-2008, 11:52 AM
I've heard of one but never seen one. I'm wearing a very thin (black unfortunately) cotton zip up jacket with a fish net undershirt that holds water well. The jacket snaps closed around the wrists and allows a little trickle of wind to come through if I want it to. This together would allow me to have some cooling effect under the jacket with light breeze coming in.

cactusjack
06-17-2008, 12:02 PM
I've heard of one but never seen one. I'm wearing a very thin (black unfortunately) cotton zip up jacket with a fish net undershirt that holds water well. The jacket snaps closed around the wrists and allows a little trickle of wind to come through if I want it to. This together would allow me to have some cooling effect under the jacket with light breeze coming in.

I was in a Cycle Gear store on Sunday and they are on sale right now, if anyone is interested.

blowndodge
06-17-2008, 12:07 PM
Yea if they had one in southern california I would be.

cactusjack
06-17-2008, 12:20 PM
Go to http://www.cyclegear.com and use the store locator. They have a lot of stores in CA. Not sure which is closest to you - Fullerton?

blowndodge
06-17-2008, 12:26 PM
found one 8 miles straight down the freeway from my work. Called and they said they had them in stock for 34.99. going there in another hour or so. Thanks CJ.

blowndodge
06-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Well, picked up the vest at Cycle Gear. 34.99. Always good to see a tag "Made in China" for about 75 cents!! We will see if it works tomorrow??!!

cactusjack
06-17-2008, 03:53 PM
Well, picked up the vest at Cycle Gear. 34.99. Always good to see a tag "Made in China" for about 75 cents!! We will see if it works tomorrow??!!

My buddy soaks his and stores it in a large zip bag, stows it on his bike (Road Glide) then puts it on in the afternoon when it gets hot. I'll be interested to know how it works for you.

blowndodge
06-17-2008, 04:15 PM
I will attempt to store it soaked in a large zip bag and give you a report in Mesquite manana..!!

06-17-2008, 04:35 PM
I told my wife to go out and get us a Misty Mate, but she said she was just going to spit on me.

blowndodge
06-17-2008, 05:29 PM
allow me cadd!!! http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

We'll see how my new water vest works.... ???

dantama
06-17-2008, 06:50 PM
And for those who don't know......Don't wear black shirts! Don't know what the Harley guys are thinking when they wear black shirts when it's over 100 degrees. Wear white, or light colors.

Idaho
06-17-2008, 10:46 PM
I bought a misty bottle today at Wally World and strapped it onto the handlebar so that it sets on top of the triple tee. Dan Lund MC air conditioner is installed.

06-17-2008, 11:29 PM
Just saw the weather forecast. News man says we have a high pressure parked over us right now and it will be slowly moving south resulting in temps 10-15 degrees above normal. Last week we were having near record cold temps now we're having the opposite problem :-/