PDA

View Full Version : Krankin' on the Kanc

racinchef
06-14-2008, 07:53 PM
That's the Kancamagus Hwy, NH Rte 112 from Woodsville to North Woodstock and then to Conway. It's about 20 miles the first leg starting in pine forests near the Connecticut River and then getting into the White Mountain National Forest and the Lost River area and the start of the White Mountains. In North Woodstock you cross Interstate 93 and the Pemigewasset River. Locally known as the Pemi. Heading east from North Woodstock you start climbing into the mountains and around a few hairpin turns and then cresting the highest point and its all down hill back into the pinewood forests and lots of parking for all the hiking trails along the road. The second leg is 36 miles long and there is only one side road the whole way. No stores or anything, just forest, mountains, rivers, moose and ranger stations. Lots of motorcycles on the road. Today is the start of Bike Week at Weirs Beach in Laconia, NH. One of the other riders, ScubaDave told me that New Hampshire has more registered motorcycles per capita than any other state in the nation. Most of those motorcycles are Harleys. I did see one black Nomad flashing past at one point, but otherwise it is Electra Glides, Road Kings, Dynas, Fat Bobs, Softails and Sporters. Lots of Gold Wings too. The ride leader of the ride is Barry with his wife Kate and he has a white Yamaha Venture and ScubaDave rode a Honda Shadow Sabre and then my Nomad makes it only three bikes. All the other regulars with the Southern Cruisers of New Hampshire were tied up with graduations and weddings and other committments. Once we got to Conway and route 16 we turned south and hopped on 113 west in Chocorua through Tamworth and onto route 25. On 25 a white SUV with blue lights flashing comes up behind us and so we pull over and it goes on past us and pulls over a Harley with apehangers. Seems NH law specifies handlebar height can't be higher than your shoulders. We skirt the northern edge of Lake Winnipesaukee in Center Harbor and Merideth and then we break off onto route 104 to avoid bike madness in Laconia and when we get to Interstate 93 they jump onto it southbound and I continue on my own to US 4 and follow that all the way to Interstate 89 for a short stint into Lebanon. It starts to rain lightly and then a bit more of a steady drizzle. I can see across the Connecticut River a wall of rain, but when I get down by the river the sky is lighter further west where I live. A quick stop for some groceries and west on Vermont route 14, left onto Quechee West Hartford Road over the bridge and a quick right onto Pomfret Road along the western side of the White River for about 3/4 mile and then left up into the hills where I live and home. Not much rain once I got through Hartford Village and the speed limit went up to 50 mph. Put on about 235 miles today and enjoyed a few new roads up near Woodsville that I had never been on before. Good riding and good fun.

basco
06-16-2008, 09:06 PM
Sounds like a great ride and I bet it was a lot cooler than here
I would love to get up to that part of the country some day

racinchef
06-19-2008, 03:52 AM
Sounds like a great ride and I bet it was a lot cooler than here
I would love to get up to that part of the country some day
Visa-versa for me; would love to head SW in March when heating oil season starts to slow down.

macmac
06-23-2008, 07:42 PM
racinchef has it all bass akwards... The Kanc goes the other way from here. I live just 15 miles south of the east entrance.... ;-)