PDA

View Full Version : SW Regional Thread - no activity in months

Caveman
08-17-2015, 06:26 PM
Hi everyone,

I've only recently started riding again & joined this forum in July. It's been a great resource already. In checking out the regional areas, I noticed very little activity in the SW Regional section.

If any riders in the SW area happen to ride through the Las Vegas valley, let me know. Another local Nomad owner and I are possibly riding out to the Pioneer Saloon for an early lunch on Saturday. If anyone wants to ride along or meet us there, let me know! I can post the details once they are firm.

ponch
08-17-2015, 07:27 PM
Sin City Stan lives out your way. I think another member too.

hayes
08-17-2015, 09:30 PM
Sadly, that's a bit far for a Saturday ride, but have a good time.

Sin City Stan
08-17-2015, 10:09 PM
Sin City Stan lives out your way. I think another member too.

I am now an enthusiast. No bike, although I drove by the Pioneer last Saturday. :-)

Rasta
08-17-2015, 10:10 PM
You don't have to ride, he said you could meet them there too Stan.

Jared
08-17-2015, 10:33 PM
There are a couple of members who are fairly active on the VBA FB page who are from Vegas area.

cactusjack
08-18-2015, 10:47 AM
The SW Region Leader hasn't been on the forum in months. Many of the more active members here have moved on, I'm afraid.

SMBKE lives in Vegas, I believe. Look him up.

Caveman
08-18-2015, 12:43 PM
There are a couple of members who are fairly active on the VBA FB page who are from Vegas area.

Thanks Jared! I just joined the FB page.

Caveman
08-18-2015, 12:48 PM
The SW Region Leader hasn't been on the forum in months. Many of the more active members here have moved on, I'm afraid.

Will do, thank you. There's a local Vulcan Riders group out here as well that I just found.

Caveman
08-18-2015, 12:49 PM
I am now an enthusiast. No bike, although I drove by the Pioneer last Saturday. :-)

Hey Stan,

We're planning on taking off from the Silverton at 10:30am Saturday just in case you'd like to meet us there.

ponch
08-18-2015, 10:08 PM

Last I saw he had his bikes on CL, if that was him. Is he the one that bought Sin City Stan's Nomad?

Jared
08-18-2015, 10:50 PM
Last I saw he had his bikes on CL, if that was him. Is he the one that bought Sin City Stan's Nomad?

No, Glen is not the SW regional leader. He moderates the FB page. Glen is also one of the most enthusiastic Nomad owners around, owning multiple Nomads and flipping them on a regular bases. I think I've known him to have 5 Nomad now.

Jared
08-18-2015, 10:58 PM
Those commenting that the SW board is not that active are welcome to post and promote activity.... Looking back at the past couple of years, it looks like this same conversation comes up year after year.

The RL isn't the only person allowed to post in this board.

riderdyer
08-18-2015, 11:42 PM
Hey all, Regional Leader here...��

It's absolutely true I've not been posting to the regional page in months. I lost the use of my tablet, and it's significantly harder on the phone sized screen, but it's possible. I also unfollowed EVERY person and group on Facebook EXCEPT VBA. (And have been commenting from time to time there.) That said, the region is in very good hands, and LOTS of GREAT members riding and working on their rides. So, I make this commitment. I'll check in on the forum on the SW page at least once each week from now on. I know that may not seem like a lot or hardly anything to some who post multiple times a day, but I WILL keep tabs, and if you post to the VBA Facebook or put my name on any post, I'll get it and respond. My Nomad is the only motorized vehicle I own, and I have put on an average of 25k a year, so I'm out there with you, advocating for you and yours, personally willing and connected to those who can answer or find answers to just about anything you want or need to find.

If that's not what you want in a RL, say what you need, and I'll work on that. Brandon (ARL) and I have been putting out heads together in with a few others in discussions about the '16 SW Region Rally, and if we iron out a few more what ifs, will be ready for general input and final announcement very shortly.

Thanks to those who want to get all they can out of belonging, and try to make it the best for all the rest of us. Let me know personal IM or here or wherever if you have specific suggestions or requests from me...

John Dyer

ponch
08-18-2015, 11:55 PM
It'll be interesting to see where the 2016 SW regional will be.

cactusjack
08-19-2015, 09:36 AM
Hey John, thanks for popiping in. I was beginning to get worried.

glwilson
08-19-2015, 07:21 PM
I don't think too many of the Region Leaders are overly active on their region's board any longer. I see very few rides offered throughout the year.

I belong to a few groups and these groups seem to always have something they are putting together. Sometimes there are a lot who participate, while other times just a few; but for certain there is always something going on.

Having been a ARL before I realize it can be a difficult, time-consuming, and most times a thankless job; but "back-in-the-day" we attempted to put regional rides together. Eventually a small, but core group of members would at least show for a few of the rides. It never was a huge group, but at least there was something.

It just seems the regional idea needs some work... JMHO :cheers:

EDIT: Since my days... we have lost most of our NCR leaders and or ARL's to national positions. Jay is now the VBA President; and Amin is the VBA V.P. We keep losing our regional guys to higher, more grand positions. :D:cheers:

Jared
08-19-2015, 07:58 PM
I don't think too many of the Region Leaders are overly active on their region's board any longer. I see very few rides offered throughout the year.

I belong to a few groups and these groups seem to always have something they are putting together. Sometimes there are a lot who participate, while other times just a few; but for certain there is always something going on.

Having been a ARL before I realize it can be a difficult, time-consuming, and most times a thankless job; but "back-in-the-day" we attempted to put regional rides together. Eventually a small, but core group of members would at least show for a few of the rides. It never was a huge group, but at least there was something.

It just seems the regional idea needs some work... JMHO :cheers:

EDIT: Since my days... we have lost most of our NCR leaders and or ARL's to national positions. Jay is now the VBA President; and Amin is the VBA V.P. We keep losing our regional guys to higher, more grand positions. :D:cheers:

Funny that you mention that, the SW ARL posted and ride invite just two days ago and unfortunately hasn't gotten much/any response yet.http://vulcanbagger.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42247

The challenge with regions is their size. Again, this thread is talking about the SW region, which is massive. From the se corner to the nw corner of the SW region it is over 1700 miles and there doesn't seem to be one particular area of the region that is more dense with members. The idea of regional rides sound fantastic, but I wonder how realistic it is, especially with this region.

blowndodge
08-19-2015, 11:14 PM

What is this "popiping" you speak of? :hmm:

Caveman
08-19-2015, 11:15 PM
The challenge with regions is their size. Again, this thread is talking about the SW region, which is massive. From the se corner to the nw corner of the SW region it is over 1700 miles and there doesn't seem to be one particular area of the region that is more dense with members. The idea of regional rides sound fantastic, but I wonder how realistic it is, especially with this region.

I'm starting to see that. The Colorado run is too far away for me right now, but somewhere down the line I'll have the time.

It's cool to see a group from Nevada, California and Arizona converging on Laughlin. There is hope yet!

Dave
08-20-2015, 02:09 AM

Me too. I've been really having some sleepless nights on this subject.

glwilson
08-20-2015, 07:13 AM
Funny that you mention that, the SW ARL posted and ride invite just two days ago and unfortunately hasn't gotten much/any response yet.http://vulcanbagger.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42247

Given your statement, it seems one of two thoughts should be explored.

1st: If the size of regions prohibit any realistic attempt to do anything on a regional basis, such as various rides, then having regions is possibly not necessary.

2nd: If the size of regions is the deterrent to promoting activities or rides; then it appears the idea of re-sizing the regions might make sense.

Just a thought...:cheers:

waterman
08-20-2015, 08:55 AM

The idea of regional rides is great but this is a day ride. Realistically, that means people within a 30 to 60 minute radius meeting. For me, it is a 2 1/2 hour ride to just get there so I would have to leave at 5:30 a.m. just to meet up with them and then what time would I get home after the ride.

There has never been a "Hot spot" location where there are many active members in the SW region. This adds to that difficulty of developing regional rides.

cactusjack
08-20-2015, 11:21 AM
What is this "popiping" you speak of? :hmm:

#$%damn cell phone.

waterman
08-20-2015, 12:01 PM
#$%damn cell phone.

I thought it was the vibration of the Harley as you were texting at a stop light.:cheers::lmao:

cactusjack
08-20-2015, 12:42 PM
I haven't ridden my Harley in over a year, other than riding it from our old house to our new house.

Caveman
08-26-2015, 06:57 PM
Here are some photos from our ride to the Pioneer Saloon last weekend. There were 3 of us, two Nomads and a Honda. It's a lot closer than I remember, so it was an easy ride.

http://s394.photobucket.com/user/mikebajorek/slideshow/Pioneer%20Saloon%2008-22-2015

blowndodge
08-26-2015, 09:59 PM
I haven't ridden my Harley in over a year, other than riding it from our old house to our new house.

Thats about normal for you easy rider :lmao:

ponch
08-26-2015, 10:29 PM

The longest I went when owning a bike was 4 months. A year? wow.

waterman
11-10-2015, 09:43 AM
So, I make this commitment. I'll check in on the forum on the SW page at least once each week from now on.

Brandon (ARL) and I have been putting out heads together in with a few others in discussions about the '16 SW Region Rally, and if we iron out a few more what ifs, will be ready for general input and final announcement very shortly.

Hasn't been on since 9/3 and no announcement of SW Rally. I guess I won't be making it this year.

ponch
11-10-2015, 11:43 AM
Hasn't been on since 9/3 and no announcement of SW Rally. I guess I won't be making it this year.

I thought Red Lodge MT was the rally next year?

waterman
11-10-2015, 12:20 PM
I thought Red Lodge MT was the rally next year?

Red Lodge is a group of old timers getting together but not the SW rally.

ponch
11-10-2015, 12:39 PM
Red Lodge is a group of old timers getting together but not the SW rally.

I was under the impression it is a combined SW/NW rally for next year.