PDA

View Full Version : Jack Adapters

Idaho
06-10-2008, 07:05 PM
For those of you who have tried to lift your Nomad with a standard MC floor jack like the Craftsman jack, you know that it is impossible without some blocking to keep the bike steady. The reason is that the engine case extends below the frame and teaters on the jack arms.

I have an adapter that fixes that problem. They are very sturdy square tubing and pin to the Nomad frame tabs. When the bike is up on one of these it is very stable on the jack. I still recommend that you strap the bike to the jack as generally recommended anyway. The adapters are powdercoated and profesionally welded.

If you would like one just send me a PM and I will send ordering info. They are now $85 each including shipping.

Thanks,
Idaho

misunderstood
06-10-2008, 08:39 PM
They work great!!

Idaho
06-10-2008, 08:59 PM
I appreciate the plug. Beer is on me next time.

redjay
06-11-2008, 04:23 AM
For those of you who have tried to lift your Nomad with a standard MC floor jack like the Craftsman jack, you know that it is impossible without some blocking to keep the bike steady. The reason is that the engine case extends below the frame and teaters on the jack arms.

I have an adapter that fixes that problem. They are very sturdy square tubing and pin to the Nomad frame tabs. When the bike is up on one of these it is very stable on the jack. I still recommend that you strap the bike to the jack as generally recommended anyway. The adapters are powdercoated and profesionally welded.

If you would like one just send me a PM and I will send ordering info. They are now $85 each including shipping.

Thanks,
Idaho Hi, Do they work on the 1500 and the 1600 ?
Are both bikes frames identical with regard to the jack adapter ?

Idaho
06-11-2008, 06:59 AM
That's a good question RJ, I don't know. Let me see what I can find out.

misunderstood
06-11-2008, 10:12 AM
Mine is a 1500 and it works great. I know Beezer has a 1600 and has used it as well, so I assume it will work on either.

beezer
06-11-2008, 04:24 PM
there ya have it guys, it works on both the 1500 and 1600

Idaho
06-11-2008, 06:03 PM
You guys are great, thanks for the info.

redjay we have an answer.

coloradontexas
06-11-2008, 08:19 PM
wow thats what i paid for my jack LOL. No doubt it is a good product

Idaho
06-12-2008, 07:05 AM
wow thats what i paid for my jack LOL. No doubt it is a good product

Yeah, I know. My machinist and I have tried to figure out a way to get the cost down in fact we just talked about it two days ago. There is almost 5 feet of heavy 1 inch steel tubing in these things. The metal tabs on the adapter are actually machined from a solid steel bar to keep them from folding or rolling to the side when the bike is in the air. Any attempt to cut down on material may compromise safety and we don't want that. I have wrestled with the cost of these compared to the cost of the jack also. The jacks are mass produced and these are made by hand basically by the order. So there you have it. I'm just tryin' to help. Thanks,

06-13-2008, 08:53 PM
$85 may sound like a lot of money to some folks, but anybody who drops their bike off the jack will wish like hell they'd spent the money once they get the repair bill. Nomads can be very expensive to drop.

Idaho
06-13-2008, 11:20 PM
$85 may sound like a lot of money to some folks, but anybody who drops their bike off the jack will wish like hell they'd spent the money once they get the repair bill. Nomads can be very expensive to drop.

Good point, I had not thought about it that way. I just knew that I could not use my jack to the lift the Nomad and it bugged me. Engine case was in the way. No more. Solid as a rock.

misunderstood
06-14-2008, 06:30 AM
I paid LESS for the jack then I did for the adaptor and had no problem with buying it. Jacks can be bought about anywhere, but Idaho took on the task of producing an adaptor that works specific for our bike for the benefit of anyone interested in a secure lift. Don't like the price, you can use wood blocks. I love the secure feeling when I jack mine up with the adaptor. http://s2.images.proboards.com/cool.gif

Top Cat
06-14-2008, 08:03 AM
Idaho, are these adapters jack specific? You know, do they work with the craftsman only or do you make them to fit other jacks.

misunderstood
06-14-2008, 03:29 PM
Idaho, are these adapters jack specific? You know, do they work with the craftsman only or do you make them to fit other jacks.

If your jack spans the width between the frame it should work with your jack. The adaptor runs in line with the frame of the bike.

Idaho
06-14-2008, 09:35 PM

If your jack spans the width between the frame it should work with your jack. The adaptor runs in line with the frame of the bike.

What the monkey said. As long as your jack arms are 13 inches long you are good.

beezer
06-15-2008, 06:08 AM
I used my adapter again last night to adjust my shocks for the rally and it worked flawless.

macmac
06-15-2008, 06:26 PM
Is there any pics?

beezer
06-15-2008, 07:27 PM
Here's some

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e54/1beezer/IMG_0661.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e54/1beezer/IMG_0658.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e54/1beezer/IMG_0659.jpg

macmac
06-16-2008, 08:33 PM
Thank you. Just what keeps that from swiveling down to the front?

It is nicely made and clean.

Also what keeps one from forgetting it is there and heading on out for a ride?

Idaho
06-16-2008, 11:10 PM

In the front I use a coat hanger that I pull it up against the frame and loop over one of the case guards.

The only bad part about the adapter is that it is too easy to forget about and leave on the bike. I took my bike for a quick ride after I put on new tires and completed swing arm maintenance then I pulled it into the garage, cleaned everything up and sat on the couch to relax. That's when I realized that the adapter was still on the bike !! Yikes, I ran outside to verify my adult moment and sure enough, there it was, still attached. I now recommend that we tie a string to the adapter and tie that to the handlebars in the way so that you HAVE to remember it's there.

Bdog
06-30-2008, 12:01 AM
Very nice job on the adaptor Idaho. Slick invention too. Bdog

beezer
06-30-2008, 06:40 PM

Hey Bdog, where ya been?

coacha
06-30-2008, 08:25 PM

In the front I use a coat hanger that I pull it up against the frame and loop over one of the case guards.

The only bad part about the adapter is that it is too easy to forget about and leave on the bike. I took my bike for a quick ride after I put on new tires and completed swing arm maintenance then I pulled it into the garage, cleaned everything up and sat on the couch to relax. That's when I realized that the adapter was still on the bike !! Yikes, I ran outside to verify my adult moment and sure enough, there it was, still attached. I now recommend that we tie a string to the adapter and tie that to the handlebars in the way so that you HAVE to remember it's there.

I RODE WITH MINE ATTACHED THIS WEEKEND! I have to get some kind of strap or something to remind me of the thing being on. Luckily, it was well attached and the ride wasn't too long.

06-30-2008, 08:59 PM
I almost did that the first time too. Might have been nasty, as I didn't bother to tie the front up with a wire. I just lifted the adaptor with my toe and slid the jack under it.

Bdog
06-30-2008, 09:55 PM

Hey Bdog, where ya been?
Have been busy trying to wear out the nomad..darn thing just keeps going and going..lol

Idaho
06-30-2008, 10:29 PM

I RODE WITH MINE ATTACHED THIS WEEKEND! I have to get some kind of strap or something to remind me of the thing being on. Luckily, it was well attached and the ride wasn't too long.

Am I going to have to sell these with somekind of a release in case someone gets hurts riding off with one of these attached? Crap you guys, this is scary.

Tie a string to front bar and use the string to lift the adapter to the frame and tie the string to the handlebar at the starter button. Maybe that will help.

scion0
07-01-2008, 12:18 PM
I'm ordering a set when he gets back in July. I borrowed a buddy's "special" jack (more expensive too) and it was not real stable.. kind of rocked back and forth.. did not think it would fall but.. decided to get this adapter.

gghost
07-03-2008, 08:25 PM
If you are worried, just weld it into place ;)

...won't fall off and it is always where you left it. ::)

But seriously, I do need to order one soon. Do they come in dayglow?

Idaho
07-22-2008, 09:35 PM

"dayglow"? what the heck is that? They come in any color (actually random red or green or white) but not black. Too easy to forget as it is, if they were black that would be the same as camoflage. Not a good thing.

cactusjack
07-22-2008, 10:29 PM

"dayglow"? what the heck is that? They come in any color (actually random red or green or white) but not black. Too easy to forget as it is, if they were black that would be the same as camoflage. Not a good thing.

If they were painted black, they'd make your bike faster! http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

ridemslow
07-23-2008, 08:34 AM
Some of you was also talking about forgetting disc brake locks, well how about using the little coiled key keepers like they sell for about $2.00 at Wal-Mart? Just put it on front of the disc lock, or the Jack adapter, whichever you use it on. Be sure to get a contrasting color. They come in several different colors and some are real bright too. One end on the Adapter, or disc lock, and the other end hooked to clutch or front brake. Think about it. ::) And by the way, Idaho, I will be recomending your adapter to everyone I meet that has a Nomad, and my local dealer too. It's a great idea. It should work perfectly for a 1600 Classic, and even the Mean Streak as well.

Am I going to have to sell these with somekind of a release in case someone gets hurts riding off with one of these attached? Crap you guys, this is scary.

Tie a string to front bar and use the string to lift the adapter to the frame and tie the string to the handlebar at the starter button. Maybe that will help.

Idaho
07-28-2008, 09:55 PM
I have a feeling you are right about the classic. Bet the frames are close. Not sure about the meanstreak. Anyone know if the frames are the same?

oldbikers
08-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Idaho your price for the adapter is a very good price with the price of steel right now, and the cost of welding supplies. I am a certified welder have been for 25 years and when I need one of these adapters I will buy from you I don't think I can build one any cheaper unless I had the steel on hand left over from something else.

Idaho
08-04-2008, 10:11 PM
Idaho your price for the adapter is a very good price with the price of steel right now, and the cost of welding supplies. I am a certified welder have been for 25 years and when I need one of these adapters I will buy from you I don't think I can build one any cheaper unless I had the steel on hand left over from something else.

Thank you for saying that. My machinist is very good and he has worked with his supplier to get the machined tabs down in price. I try not to gouge anyone so that more guys can afford these. Happy to help.

tkd
08-05-2008, 08:41 AM
Just left you a message Idaho.

I need to get the ordering info please

Thanks

Idaho
08-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Just left you a message Idaho.

I need to get the ordering info please

Thanks

I will send you a personal message.