PDA

View Full Version : Western Rally & Tar Snakes

dantama
06-10-2008, 05:56 PM
It looks like it'll only be just over 100 degrees for the rally, not 105-110.

Still, if you haven't ever ridden over tar snakes in that high of heat, it could surprise you.

What's everyone's thoughts on tar snakes?

ringadingh
06-10-2008, 06:16 PM
I prefer to avoid them in my lane if I have a choice. If they catch you offgaurd they make the bike do the heeby jeeby for a second. I don't like that too much.

cactusjack
06-10-2008, 07:04 PM
They are everywhere around here. I run over them all the time, although I try to avoid them. They don't bother me at all.

Top Cat
06-10-2008, 08:12 PM
We have a ton of them here in NY. When first put down they scare me but after they set and get run over for a while they don't bother me much.
They can give you an Adrenalin rush on occasion http://s2.images.proboards.com/shocked.gif

Idaho
06-10-2008, 08:55 PM
Not sure just what everyone thinks they are talking about. I assumed that you meant cast of wheel casings from semi truck tires, aka "alligators". They will eat you for lunch if you run over one.

So, is this a metaphor or are you really talking about honest to goodness squirming - crawling snakes? I avoid both like the plague.

dantama
06-10-2008, 10:36 PM
Not sure just what everyone thinks they are talking about. I assumed that you meant cast of wheel casings from semi truck tires, aka "alligators". They will eat you for lunch if you run over one.

So, is this a metaphor or are you really talking about honest to goodness squirming - crawling snakes? I avoid both like the plague.

Idaho, its a term for the lines of tar that get put down over cracks in the pavement.

I don't find them to ever be a problem, but they scare the crap out of me on occasion. When it gets hot, the bottom part gets hot and a bit melted, the top layer looks stiff as always, but when you run over it at an angle, the top layer can slide a bit off the bottom layer.

It gives you a pucker feeling as you feel the tire slightly slip out. I've never once gone down because of it, but on some of the very slippery ones (lots of lateral movement between layers) it makes me feel at times like I might. But never have gone down because of it, and doubt I ever will.

It's not a problem at moderate temps, but in the high heat, at least the ones in Utah (don't know if other states have a better recipe?) have a lot of movement in them.

MarkG
06-11-2008, 12:04 AM
I think it is a bit more of a problem in the northern states. We have such hot temperatures in Arizona that they use a harder asphalt filler (my apologies to the construction crowd that know the correct terms and mixture.) You don't often see kickstands melting into the parking lot or cars sinking here. However, I have been in parking lots in the northern states on a hot day and the asphalt is like soft goo and everything sinks into it. As CJ put it, we have so many tar snakes on the streets we kind of get used to them.

Thanks for the reminder, even though the tar snakes look the same they were probably done a lot different. It won't hurt to approach them more cautiously and not assume anything.

06-11-2008, 09:52 AM
Yeah I don't have a problem with them here.

cactusjack
06-11-2008, 10:05 AM
I have them in the street in front of my house. No big deal.

It's nice to hear they are forecasting lower temps for the rally. It's supposed to be 110+ here this weekend and high temps next week, so this will be a treat for MarkG and I.

Idaho
06-11-2008, 06:38 PM
Thanks Dan, I learned something today.

06-11-2008, 07:30 PM
I knew a guy that went down on one once. He was going into a curve agressivley hit one and wiped out. I've gotton pucker from them a few times they can be bad around these parts.

blowndodge
06-11-2008, 10:11 PM
I just went to NOAA and copied this from their web site. It's for tonight through next wednesday when some of us arrive in Mesquite.

Tonight: Clear, with a low around 62. South southwest wind at 8 mph becoming north.

Thursday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 96. North northwest wind between 3 and 8 mph.

Thursday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 64. Southwest wind between 6 and 9 mph becoming calm.

Friday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 100. North northwest wind between 5 and 7 mph.

Friday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 64. West wind around 6 mph becoming east northeast.

Saturday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 107.

Saturday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 73.

Sunday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 108.

Sunday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 74.

Monday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 107.

Monday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 72.

Tuesday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 106.

Tuesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 72.

Wednesday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 104.

jussmatt
06-12-2008, 12:58 PM
DAMN!!! Looks like a LOT of Baking will be going on!!!

dantama
06-12-2008, 01:08 PM
DAMN!!! Looks like a LOT of Baking will be going on!!!

But it's dry heat! :)

flightdoc
06-13-2008, 07:31 AM
Tar snakes/road snakes in the northeast are quite prevalent. If they're not to wide I don't have a problem with them.....anymore. When I first started riding they scared the crap out of me. Best not to do any heavy braking on them. They can be slppery when wet or extremely cold too.

bobzinger
06-13-2008, 12:00 PM
They are everywhere on the Mountain roads around Lake Tahoe, CA. Last weekend I got a good pucker several times. I wasn't expecting it cuase it was later in the day but even if the air is cooler the roadway is probably still cooking.

scion0
06-17-2008, 06:40 AM
They are really bad in the middle of Illinois. Was introduced to my first one a while back while changing lanes. I believe I truly understand Wolfman's statement of 'pucker factor'!

tkd
06-23-2008, 11:58 AM
Tar Snakes=ruined shorts

Imagine being new to the nomad and having to ride across about 3 miles of pavement with more tar snakes than regular pavement. That's what it's like here in MN where I'm at. Couple that with 7,382 expansion joints per mile and I have my hands full

06-23-2008, 11:09 PM
The asphalt in my business complex parking lot is so soft that I typically use a hard "coaster" under my kickstand or it sinks in about an inch and a half in 100 degree weather! Obviously they're not using a street quality mixture!! lol

hollywood
06-25-2008, 12:46 AM
If it's black and shiny - it's probably slick - watch out ( goes for bikes too, that's why I have the blue and silver