PDA

View Full Version : Vaquero speaker question

Myklops
10-04-2014, 04:42 PM
Hey fellow Vaquero owners. Anyone upsize the 5.25 inch speakers to 6.5's? I see several speaker adapter rings on the interwebs including one from arc audio that's made for HD's. Maybe they'll worn anyway? I'm just interested in better bass response, and audio is a lot like engines; there's no replacement for displacement.

HwyRider
10-04-2014, 08:28 PM
You can stick the biggest speakers in there that you can find and you still won't get the bass on a bike.

Myklops
10-04-2014, 11:43 PM
I get that, but I've also heard the new Harley bagger audio and it kicks infinitely more ass than Kawi's factory audio. The street glide special is loud and clear, and really pounds with extra amplification. And to think one can't get bass response out of smaller speakers is somewhat of a falsehood. Good speakers with PROPER amplification will create excellent bass. Granted, 6.5 inch speakers won't create the type of thump that a 12" subwoofer will create, but with the proper enclosure and clear signal driving them, they can pound pretty well.

My question wasn't concerning how big of speakers can I jam on my bike. I was asking if anyone has put bigger speakers in place of the 5.25 inch speakers that come factory on the Voyager and Vaquero. Particularly, 6.5 inch speakers!

HwyRider
10-05-2014, 12:21 AM
My answer was to say that the bass gets drowned out when riding at speed. Sitting in a lot listening to a stereo is different than 70 miles per hour with the wind in your ears.

jase64
10-05-2014, 05:13 AM
Any kind of exhaust will cancel out the bass, I installed a clarion 75 watt per channel amp and infinity speaker (sounds awesome) much better than stock. I don't think its worth the money to over due it. I usually turn my music down to a nice back ground sound. When I hear a song I love I crank it up.

Myklops
10-05-2014, 05:05 PM
I was thinking about fabricating my own set of sealed enclosures to go behind the Arc Audio 6.5's I'm buying. Cover the inside of the fairing in Acoustimat and puttig back wave dampening in the enclosures. The enclosures will be really cheap since I'll be making them out of MDF and coating them in rhinoliner to keep moisture out and further quell any vibration. Add an Arc Audio 2-channel 125 watt class H amp to the mix, and I should have a pretty nice setup. I may drop the extra coin on a 4-channel so I have the ability to add in some bag-mounted 6x9's this winter.

I'm a huge nerd and an audiophile when it comes to stereo equipment. Huge props to Kawi for making a user-friendly stock setup that performs okay out of the box. Just as with any other motorcycle, I'm just not happy with it unless I'm tinkering with something.

When I do make the enclosures for the front, I'll be taking photos as I go, and probably creating some kind of walk-thru for anyone that may be interested in doing the same to their Voyager/Vaquero.

Also, I'm pretty sure I can fabricate bag-mounted speaker enclosures that will require cutting of the bag, but without need for a repaint. We'll see though. Either way, I'll keep you guys posted on how it's coming along.

HwyRider
10-05-2014, 06:02 PM
I would check the price of the bag before I started cutting.

Myklops
10-05-2014, 10:07 PM
Checked. Don't care. Custom > anything from a catalog. If I waited for an effective aftermarket solution to bag-mounted Kawi speakers, I'd probably die of old age.

HwyRider
10-05-2014, 10:23 PM
You may want to check with this user to see what he found when mounting in the bags and how the sound was.

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39287

REID
11-02-2014, 01:27 PM
I just put some 5.25 Polk Audio Marine speakers in my 2014 Vaq'. They sound great even at freeway speeds.I was more worried about the water affecting the stock ones when i washed my bike, nearly impossible to lee h2o out, so in went marine speakers.

dabull
11-02-2014, 03:37 PM
I just put some 5.25 Polk Audio Marine speakers in my 2014 Vaq'. They sound great even at freeway speeds.I was more worried about the water affecting the stock ones when i washed my bike, nearly impossible to lee h2o out, so in went marine speakers.

Straight speaker exchange? Amp? Didn't need amp? Thx;)

napom
11-02-2014, 04:36 PM
I have Polks on my Voyager . . . Sound a whole lot cleaner than stock, and look nicer behind the grills . . . No amp yet, byt am going to install powerpucks this winter . . .

nomadz
11-02-2014, 04:52 PM
Powerpucks??

recumbentbob
11-02-2014, 06:51 PM
Powerpucks??
Not very good reviews.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004C24OYU?pc_redir=1414374301&robot_redir=1

jase64
11-03-2014, 03:26 AM
This AMP is a very good option http://www.amazon.com/Clarion-Electronics-XC1410-4-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B00B43LKV0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415002620&sr=8-1&keywords=clarion+amplifier+4+channel and easy to install. Paired with infinity speakers http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Reference-5032cf-Performance-Loudspeaker/dp/B002BZE36E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1415003225&sr=8-2&keywords=infinity+5+1+4+speakers The sound is awesome and I couldn't be happier. :D

napom
11-03-2014, 08:19 PM
Not very good reviews.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004C24OYU?pc_redir=1414374301&robot_redir=1

Actually, there are just two reviews . . . and the second - 5 stars - apologizes for a previous poor rating/post . . . Just two reviews from unknowns on Amazon is nothing to base an opinion on though the only reviews I count are these by RACNRAY and Smokey - two folks I kinda know (forum wise) know their stuff about these bikes:

http://vulcanbagger.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30941&highlight=speakers

Skullcowboy
02-20-2015, 12:00 PM
So, Myklops, did you ever do anything with this? I am interested in upping the size to 6.5's as well. I just started exploring options and am trying to find others who may have done it.

Vulcanrider03
02-20-2015, 05:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD3VfxIs0po

Vulcanrider03
02-20-2015, 05:11 PM
U don't see it in the video but I have polk 5.25 in the bags on the inside towards the front of the bag and my pioneer amp is in the tour pack

rick6375
02-22-2015, 12:41 AM
I am running 6.5 Pioneers in my Voyager, without using adapters. I am using an Alpine amp with them also. The bass is marganally better, but mids and highs are clearer than with stocks. Even with the amp on the stock speakers.8525852685278528

Skullcowboy
02-23-2015, 09:50 AM
Thanks rick6375!! Found your post on the other place, it explains the pics. Appreciate it!

rick6375
02-25-2015, 01:31 PM
Thanks rick6375!! Found your post on the other place, it explains the pics. Appreciate it!

For those interested without going to "the other place" I am copying my post there to here.

Speakers and adapter came in today, was surprised they came so quick. Turns out I didnt need the adapters, but neeeded to break out the dremel. The speakers had 3 mounting patterns, one being 4 bolt 5 1/2" pattern, this I used. Where the bolt behind the speaker grill that goes into the fairing I had notch out with the dremel. They also have to be mounted from inside the fairing. Attachment 97705
The tabs on the outside edge of the speakers had to be removed, they are made to be bent and snapped off if need be, In this case they do. Once they are off, the metal clips can be installed so screws can mount speakers.Attachment 97713Attachment 97721
Upon reinstalling the fairing, the bolt where I had to notch can be installed with the speaker loose inside the fairing. The lowend responce is a little better, but to my surprise the mids and highs are now WAY better than before, and they are louder at the same volume levels. I tried the amp on the flat setting and sounds good at lower volumes but lows distort when cranked. Swithed it to filter at 60hz and was still getting some distortion on several songs so is now filtering at 90hz like with stock speakers. Have raised the bass setting on radio to 3 from 1, and mids on 3 from 0, treble still on 7 and AVC still on 3.Attachment 97729
Attachment 97737

Just ordered these speakers and adapters.Pioneer TS-A1675R 6-1/2" 3-Way TS Series Coaxial Car Speakers, and Scosche SAVW6 1995-Up Volkswagen Speaker Adapter (pair). should have by next weekend, so will report back how this works out. Already have a Clarion XC1410 amp. Will take pix and post if everything fits, will post any issues that may come up as well. Am sure fairing will have to come off again to install. Got a decent deal on amozon, $45 for all, normally $115.

Let me try this. 1st is the notch I had to make. 2nd the tabs I had to remove. 3rd the clips for screws. 4th front left view without grill. 5th right front view with grill.

bwood1972
03-24-2015, 03:38 PM
I went back and forth with what to use to make the sound better. I replaced the factory speakers with memphis audio 2 way speakers. It made alot of difference. I also cut out a small portion of the rear of the speaker "pod" to allow for more air flow. This also helped considerably. Then I decided to use the small locked boxes under the speakers as enclosures for a second set of speakers. I removed the doors and used a hard plastic to go in the place of the doors. Just temporary till i have a buddy make some better permanent ones. Since the Vaquero has 4 channels I figured i would use them. Havent added an amp yet but its coming. Picture attached

Crooked_Roads
03-27-2015, 01:26 PM
BWood, what did you do to fashion the door replacements and what will your buddy be trying to improve on? I am intrigued by having 4 (count 'em, 4!) speakers pushing sound towards you at 70 miles an hour.

bwood1972
03-27-2015, 03:59 PM
it sounds damn good without being amped. I removed the doors and just cut a piece of 1/4" lexan or plexiglass the same shape as the door itself. i just traced them out. Im not the greatest at this kind of work, so the screw holes that were used to mount the door didnt match what i drilled in the plastic to match. In short, i missed. lol. My buddy is going to do the same thing in a better plastic or aluminum and not have 2 screw holes next to each other. It was pretty simple even as wiring goes as well. total time was less then 3 hours.

Mlindecker
03-30-2015, 08:27 PM
I installed 5.25 Memphis Audio in dash, and installed 4" in top of hard bags sounds good at 80 MPH

Duc796canada
04-06-2015, 06:41 PM
So how do the stock ones fare in rain and washing?

hlknvlcn60
04-13-2015, 11:57 AM
I put a set of Hogtunes 5.25 speaks in my Vaquero the next step is going to be a more powerful amp. You have to do that to get the bass to come out.