PDA

View Full Version : How long have you ridden your 15/1600?

hoodooman
09-29-2014, 12:51 PM
How many years have you ridden your current 1500/1600? How many miles do you have on your bike? What repairs have you done?

I bought my first Kaw this summer. I'm curious to see if anyone actually keeps their bikes for a long time, how much riding they do, and what repairs you have needed.

Bought mine in June with 9k on it, currently has just under 14k. Within the first 200 miles I had to replace the clutch spring!!

Jeffsmountainauto
09-29-2014, 01:00 PM
Bought my 06 1600 in February of 2013 with 22k miles on it. just turned 35k last month. The only repair I have done so far has been the clutch spring. That was earlier this year. It was just starting to slip in fifth gear when accelerating on the freeway. I have done quite a few mods, but the were just that - modifications. I have replaced brake pads, oil and filters, tires, and all the other fluids (even the fork oil), but I consider those things to be maintenance items. I plan on installing the timing chain tensioner extenders soon. Probably a little overdue actually.

cactusjack
09-29-2014, 01:20 PM
I purchased my 2007 Nomad brand new in September 2007 and rode it for 52,000 miles before it was totaled in March 2011. I was looking at trading/selling it at the time of the accident. Insurance paid more than I could have sold it for or received on trade-in, so it worked out in my favor.

clayton
09-29-2014, 01:52 PM
4-1/4 years (bought used with 3000)
50000 miles last week
To date I have only had to spend less than 200 bucks to keep her mechanically sound.
Cam Chain Extenders
Water Pump Seals and Mechanical Washer
Some rear end oil seals

Getting ready to replace clutch spring and some other small items soon.

johnberryus
09-29-2014, 01:55 PM
Bought my '05 in March of 2013 with 41,000 miles on her, she now has 85,000. I have replaced, besides standard maintenance, Rear Brake rotor, Timing chain adjusters, Clutch Spring and plates, Steering stem bearing, Bevel gear bearing, and just now I have it in getting the radiator, and drive shaft replaced (the u-joint took a header). I have also put on a stage one kit (air, exhaust, and fuel processor) and numerous other gadgets.

We are probably going to finish paying her off and trade up to a Harley Ultra Limited by next riding season, the little woman has requested a much more luxurious ride for our longer trips at this point, and considering how much riding we do, it's worth making her very happy on the back.

Edit: I almost forgot the water pump bearing were replaced too.

Jared
09-29-2014, 03:44 PM
On my 3rd Nomad. No major repairs ever needed, just maintenance. My current bike has around 43K miles.

cnc
09-29-2014, 04:01 PM
Bought my 08 new and have no plans to trade. No issues and it suits me fine.

VulcanE
09-29-2014, 04:03 PM
Bought my '05 new 9 years & 9 months ago, other than maintenance, I've replaced the rear rotor, cam chain extenders, had a hole in the radiator at the left mounting stud brazed up, put new seals in the final drive (all 3 of them, only the pinion seal was leaking) and the speedometer. It's got 58,000 miles on it. Some time over the winter, I plan on changing the clutch spring. It is not slipping, but it should be getting close, just a preventive thing.

MAS Tequila
09-29-2014, 06:34 PM
Purchased mine in early 2007 with 9000 miles, it now has 115000 miles.

I've had everything that will come apart, apart on this bike.

I've had the 1500 and a 1600 engine in it, and rebuilt both of them.

I have no plans of selling or trading this bike, it has enough of my blood, literally, in it to be a member of the family.

I will probably get another bike, I have a 95 1500 BUBF project bike, but will keep this one.

MT

ringadingh
09-29-2014, 07:08 PM
I bought my 02 in 2005, with 28k on it, at about 85k I bent a shifter fork and replaced the motor with a 1600, that had 17k on it. I think I have about 115k on the bike so far, with mostly normal maintenance done. Its probably the cheapest bike on maintenance that Ive ever owned.

hoodooman
09-29-2014, 08:33 PM
Purchased mine in early 2007 with 9000 miles, it now has 115000 miles.

I've had everything that will come apart, apart on this bike.

I've had the 1500 and a 1600 engine in it, and rebuilt both of them.

I have no plans of selling or trading this bike, it has enough of my blood, literally, in it to be a member of the family.

I will probably get another bike, I have a 95 1500 BUBF project bike, but will keep this one.

MT

Just curious, what happened to your engines? I suppose along with just being curious, I'm wondering how many miles I can expect to get out of my bike (I'm VERY meticulous on maintenance on all my vehicles). And hearing from real world people can help give me an idea of what to expect, mileage-wise and issue-wise from the bike. thanks, keep em coming!

roadhawg
09-29-2014, 08:55 PM
Got back into riding about 3 years ago.
Had a 04 1500 with 27K miles and just recently sold it with 100,544 K miles and bike still runs like a scalded dog! I ride most everyday, I dont keep it in the garage like an ornament, I estimate I ride about 30 K miles a year.

Now have a 08 1600 with 29 K miles. Just got back from a road trip to Sturgis, 7 K miles, 14 states, 25 days.
Only thing I have done, other than regular maintenance, is put Barnett clutch springs in both of these bikes.
I love both of these bikes!
And NO Cactusjack I certainly dont yearn for no Harley! Many of my friends own em of course and spend a lot of time in the shop. I dont let my friends park in my driveway cause I dont want all those oil spots all over!
But I have been told that Harleys dont really leak oil, they are just marking thier spot?

paul
09-29-2014, 09:07 PM
My introduction to the Nomad was a 2000 1500 with 5K miles on it. Bought it in 2007, rode it to 65K miles with nothing other than maintenance. Still have it, runs like a scalded ape, and uses zero oil. Has original clutch and every thing else. In 2011 I bought a 2007 1600. Not because I needed another bike, but because the thing had 4k miles and the price was rediculous, especially with the mods he had done on the bike. Turned out to be the best decision I made. It's roomier, better ride, better handling. I added a trunk, fairing, lowers, seat, and made it better for travel for me and the missus. We love it. We went far on the 1500. Now we go farther on the 1600. 85mph easy chair, baby. This one also burns no oil, but there is a trick. Ask me, or Budman.

rolfe
09-29-2014, 10:07 PM
In 2011 purchased our 99 Vulcan Nomad with 9,000 miles on it.

"RED" as we like to call it had been sitting for years in a warehouse it was one of these rare finds.

So I took it down to the engine replacing, rubber lines, cylinder kits, clutch plates with a mean streak spring, rebuilt carburetor, Flushed all Fluids, battery, and New Tires.

Never working on a Motorcycle before, the vast amount of information from everyone here on the Vulcan Bagger has let me work on our Nomad much more enjoyable.

Our Nomad is a solid feel ride which we like for hill country riding. Our previous bike was a 800 Vulcan Classic. Both bikes from Kawasaki had high rating points that I researched before purchasing is why picking these two. I must say the reviewers were correct!

The main thing is to enjoy your new bike, you made the right choice.

hoodooman
09-29-2014, 10:32 PM
thanks for the replies guys great stuff! I came off of a 750 Honda Shadow ace.I I have ridden several large bikes and always wanted one of my own. I've always had Hondas and because of that I first looked at the VTX1300. needless to say I was not impressed with the 1300. I saw this black 1600 and fell in love before, and after th test ride! I hated adjusting valves and carbs on all my other bikes. I usually have at least one old 60's or 70's era project bike the garage to tinker on and i didnt want to tinker on my daily rider!! Turn key and go! This is my first kaw and i love it. Sold my restored 64 honda 300 dream to buy this beast!

Vulcan Bill
09-29-2014, 11:15 PM
Bought my '05 1600 Classic 3 1/2 years ago and have put 50,000 miles on it. The only repairs so far was replacing the over heat fan switch and installing cam chain tensioner extenders. I had planned on eventually getting a Harley but have become so attached to this bike that when I wear it out I'll buy another one and transfer all my custom parts.

DR Roos
09-30-2014, 12:02 AM
13 months and 9k miles no repairs only required maintenance & lots of mods. :tup:

Vulcan Bill
09-30-2014, 12:19 AM
13 months and 9k miles no repairs only required maintenance & lots of mods. :tup:

Oh yeah! MODS! Ya gotta have the mods!
(That Harley wheel looks mighty good on there, Dr Roos :tup:)

MAS Tequila
09-30-2014, 12:26 AM
1-2 shift fork in the 1500 and the front bevel gear bearing turned into a broken case on the 1600.

MT

Just curious, what happened to your engines? I suppose along with just being curious, I'm wondering how many miles I can expect to get out of my bike (I'm VERY meticulous on maintenance on all my vehicles). And hearing from real world people can help give me an idea of what to expect, mileage-wise and issue-wise from the bike. thanks, keep em coming!

Bud2rat
09-30-2014, 01:17 AM
I own a 2001 1500 carb model. Purchased it 6 years ago with 12,000 miles. She now has 48,000 miles. Replaced clutch spring, cam extenders, and rear end gears. Many mods to suit my needs. I love it. Have no intentions of selling or getting rid of. Will probably ride her until the wheels fall off. This is my 2nd Kawasaki, I upgraded from an 800 Vulcan.

DR Roos
09-30-2014, 01:42 AM
Oh yeah! MODS! Ya gotta have the mods!
(That Harley wheel looks mighty good on there, Dr Roos :tup:)

Likewise and thank you. Bill :D

schoeney
09-30-2014, 08:44 AM
Bought my 2003 with 2k on it in 2008. Sold it with 27k in 2013. No repairs needed.
Very reliable and low maint. bike.

Loafer
09-30-2014, 09:22 AM
I purchased my '01 new, about 31K miles.
Clutch springs and a U-Joint at about 25K miles.
Awesome motorcycle!

shamelessbill
09-30-2014, 09:32 AM
bought my 2000 1500fi with 95K on the clock, now over 100 and runs like a champ, no oil burning. Just an amazing bike

hoodooman
09-30-2014, 10:07 AM
bought my 2000 1500fi with 95K on the clock, now over 100 and runs like a champ, no oil burning. Just an amazing bike

Wow another over 100k! And some of my victory and harley buddies always screw with me and say metrics are "throw away" bikes.

roadhawg
09-30-2014, 10:50 AM
I purchased my '01 new, about 31K miles.
Clutch springs and a U-Joint at about 25K miles.
Awesome motorcycle!

Just wondering , how did Ujoint was going bad? I mean, did it start vibrating? Getting noisy? What were the symptoms?

danimal2
09-30-2014, 11:43 AM
In 2011 purchased our 99 Vulcan Nomad with 9,000 miles on it.

"RED" as we like to call it had been sitting for years in a warehouse it was one of these rare finds.

So I took it down to the engine replacing, rubber lines, cylinder kits, clutch plates with a mean streak spring, rebuilt carburetor, Flushed all Fluids, battery, and New Tires.

Never working on a Motorcycle before, the vast amount of information from everyone here on the Vulcan Bagger has let me work on our Nomad much more enjoyable.

Our Nomad is a solid feel ride which we like for hill country riding. Our previous bike was a 800 Vulcan Classic. Both bikes from Kawasaki had high rating points that I researched before purchasing is why picking these two. I must say the reviewers were correct!

The main thing is to enjoy your new bike, you made the right choice.

Wow, no JOG or SOG. Are you still running the POG? You might want to check that. I pulled the cover off at 20,000 miles and it was looking pretty rough. Changed it out before it could crap out.

Mine was a similar deal. '99 purchased in '11 with 5,240 miles on it. Now at 35,000 and running strong.

Water pump seal (probably from sitting in an Arizona garage for 11 years).

Radiator flush (from sitting again....)

Clutch spring and washers (as long as I had the case cover off to do the JOG, figured might as well).

That's pretty much it. The other stuff was normal bike maintenance. Oil changes, battery, tires etc.

Love this thing and real glad I bought it. Sure.............I look at the new bikes, but mine's paid for and runs great. Don't see anything changing anytime soon.

hoodooman
09-30-2014, 02:18 PM
danimal2, you have a memphis shades fairing right? i thought i read a post about that somewhere... if so, how do you like it? hows the buffeting?

danimal2
09-30-2014, 10:33 PM
danimal2, you have a memphis shades fairing right? i thought i read a post about that somewhere... if so, how do you like it? hows the buffeting?

Funny you should ask. I was going to comment on your post about it earlier today. Love the thing. No buffeting like the original windscreen.
I've got one on my bike and my girlfriend's. They work great. Stock lowers too. Don't have to run those oversized ones. I did order the extended lowers for the handguards at $20 per set. Mine broke when it got hit by a rock and I made a set out of aluminum using my girlfriend's as a template. I put a year on just the fairing without the extensions then added them. They do seem to help.

The fairing is also really cool when it comes time to clean the front end of the bike or if you get the urge to ride without it...... It comes off in 2 seconds (literally) and goes back on almost that fast.

I've got the lowest tinted windscreen on both of them. Although it works great, I may try a recurve if this one ever breaks. It's been hit pretty darned hard with rocks off 4X4's with mud tires and semi-trucks and hasn't broken yet.

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7744&stc=1&d=1412130777

dholmer
09-30-2014, 11:07 PM
Bought my '05 in March of 2013 with 41,000 miles on her, she now has 85,000. I have replaced, besides standard maintenance, Rear Brake rotor, Timing chain adjusters, Clutch Spring and plates, Steering stem bearing, Bevel gear bearing, and just now I have it in getting the radiator, and drive shaft replaced (the u-joint took a header). I have also put on a stage one kit (air, exhaust, and fuel processor) and numerous other gadgets.

We are probably going to finish paying her off and trade up to a Harley Ultra Limited by next riding season, the little woman has requested a much more luxurious ride for our longer trips at this point, and considering how much riding we do, it's worth making her very happy on the back.

Edit: I almost forgot the water pump bearing were replaced too.

Hey Johnberryus... How about a new Kawasaki Voyager instead of the Harley Ultra?

Jared
10-01-2014, 12:25 PM
I am aware of two Nomads with over 250,000 miles on the original motor. These bikes can outlast most of their riders.

johnberryus
10-01-2014, 01:37 PM
Hey Johnberryus... How about a new Kawasaki Voyager instead of the Harley Ultra?

The thought did cross our minds, but with all things considered in the 2 3/4 years I've owned this motorcycle it has been the most expensive vehicle to keep operational I have ever had or known anyone else personally to have. I have spent close to 10 times as much on repairs for this thing than I have in the 7 years I've owned my Harley.

It only gets 35-38 MPG and all the Harley guys I know get 45ish, they still haven't increased the fuel tank size to make it a true touring machine, and I have spent the last year test riding all of the big V-twin Tourers and in our opinion none of the others come close to the new Harleys in creature comforts, amenities, fit , form, and function.

Kawasaki has done nothing to improve the Vulcan line since 2009 except introduce the Vaquero, and frankly I'm not impressed.

cactusjack
10-01-2014, 01:40 PM

That's like walking into a restaurant and ordering a steak and the waiter tries to get you to order a burger instead.

If the man wants a filet, let him have one.

johnberryus
10-01-2014, 03:19 PM
That's like walking into a restaurant and ordering a steak and the waiter tries to get you to order a burger instead.

If the man wants a filet, let him have one.

Amen Brother.

Rasta
10-01-2014, 04:04 PM
Got my 04 Nomad in 2011 with 9400miles on it. I have 47000 on it now with lots of modes on it. Done all the maintenance , modes and repairs on it myself except for the first rear tire change when I first got it and have gone Darkside after it was on there for about 4000 miles..... on my second CT now.:cheers:

Rasta
10-01-2014, 04:08 PM
Amen Brother.

Gotta ride what makes you happy!!.........in some cases, what you can afford!

Jllm02199
10-01-2014, 04:27 PM
Bought my 02 in 2002. It has 127,000 miles on it. I put a 07 1600 motor it it a few years ago. The motor has 52,000 on it. I've changed the coils for Dynatec hot coils. I've added a Dobeck TFI fuel processor in it. It runs regular and gets 40-42 MPG. Just rebuilt the clutch master cylinder for the first time.
Had to replace a U-joint at 80,000.
Still runs great. Getting it serviced now to head for Daytona next week.

Silent Sam
10-01-2014, 05:00 PM
Bought my 2002 1500fi Nomad (as i recall) in 2005..with 9100 miles on the clock..(third owner)..orig owner had installed Cobra Duals..and dumped the cat..(calif bike) 2nd owner had installed "mini apes/pull backs"?, to fit his 37 in arm lengths ..same as mine..all Brake hoses, control cables, remain OEM..and also installed Kuryakyn Grips, and hiway pegs, the bike has Fire & Steel Driving Lights..I added Hot Rod 1947 Plymouth LED Tail Lights to the hard Bags..
I added... 02 Kawk Prairie 4X4 wheeler U-Joint w/zerk at aprox 25k miles..(didnt need it..have the orig in a zip-loc and on the shelf)..Modified swing arm to take a grease zerk (see Gadgets Page) serviced drive shaft ...replaced rear wheel bearings..service rear end...I added a Teleflex Marine Tachometer..due to "high-centering incident", I plugged the bottom oil drain with a flush fit pipe plug and epoxied it permanently in place- (all oil changes are now done at the Oil Screen Plug.)
At aprox 45,000 miles I installed Chucksters Cam Chain Extenders, and a Barnett Clutch Spring (OEM clutch Spring, was slipping)..Replaced Front Wheel bearings (front and rear OEM wheel bearing were/are, good..I cleaned them and repacked with Chevron Synthetic Wheel bearing grease, and are set aside in zip loc bags)..I fabricated a wind deflecting fairing from Tandy,Saddle Skirt Leather ..also matching leather,front and rear "Mud Flaps"...and a re-engineered seat is in the testing phase !..I added 1972 Pontiac Grand Prix Dual Tone, set of 2-Horns, very loud !...(Note: dont bother to install 1980's gm horns they look the same but are LAME)..I mounted mine low on the front of the frame one on each side, no relay required !..Now near 50,000 miles (medical issues slowed me this summer) ...i'v been way out there for the last fews years every summer/fall..and some calif winter riding...NEVER had an Mechanical Issue while traveling (except some tire problems)

It's clear this bike will outlast me !

macmac
10-01-2014, 06:40 PM
Bought my 06 in June 06. 35,000 miles repairs are 1 horn, 6 tires, 3 head light bulbs, 1 battery, cam chain extenders made here, 1 clutch spring just 2 weeks ago, oil filters and gas. Gas is the biggest repair bill I have since i do my own labor. I just can't figure out where the gas goes ??? And oh a 1 set of rear pads done, I have ft pads and will install when I must install. all fluids changed on time, all items that want grease cleaned and changed on time. Other than a few paint chips from sand and pebbles my bike is still like new.

Silent Sam
10-01-2014, 08:41 PM
..Yea what Mac Say's..about the problem of "vanishing gasoline"...seems the farther out there I go the more of it disappears....it's a conundrum that I will look into..perhaps a ride to the proposed Western Canada Baggers Gathering..next summer would give me enough calculation to tackle a cure ! :yep:

macmac
10-01-2014, 09:16 PM
Yeah Sam. I mean when I drink beer I know where that goes. It waters the flowers. :cheers: Where the heck does the gas go? :shrug: :hmm:

Loafer
10-02-2014, 06:34 AM
Just wondering , how did Ujoint was going bad? I mean, did it start vibrating? Getting noisy? What were the symptoms?

I noticed a vibration in the floor boards and then my hands started getting numb from
the vibration. I did some reading and then asked the local guru to take a look at the
u-joint. He said that the shaft needed to be replaced as Kawi doesn't just sell the
u-joint. I copied the article I had read and he ordered the u-joint for a 4 wheeler.
That ended the vibration and the I believe the u-joint was about $32. The shaft
from Kawi was much more.

id-man
10-02-2014, 07:21 AM
We went far on the 1500. Now we go farther on the 1600. 85mph easy chair, baby. This one also burns no oil, but there is a trick. Ask me, or Budman.Ok, I'm asking...what trick? My 1500FI is exhibiting signs of a bent 2nd gear shifting fork and I'm soaking up all info pertaining to the 1500 engine, repair vs replace, vs swap for 1600 motor. If there's a trick I might need to know before making this decision. :)

macmac
10-02-2014, 10:56 AM
I'ld like to know this trick too for not using oil.

macmac
10-02-2014, 11:00 AM
As to U joints, yeah they vibrate, but there is no real excuse. If the swing arm is greased via the info in the 1500 book you will be greasing it late with each mc rear tire, and later if you run a car tire. About 1/2 of the U joints didn't get any grease on one plane of motion from the factory. These U joints will fail somewhere around 24,000 miles for sure. At each swing arm greasing interval the drive shaft should be checked for a failing U joint. There IS a replacement U joint that also fits the ATV for just over 32 bucks, and that beats the last time I knew entire drive shaft which was around 360 bucks last time I knew. The swing arms on ALL vulcans never got enough grease, and neither did the goose neck bearings.

Silent Sam
10-02-2014, 04:56 PM
..Well ..Now I know mac is a "true, man of nature"...When -I- piss on plants and flowers they die !...(But recent medical results have indicated I'v been pissing Diesel Fuel, since the 1960's)... :wtf:

id-man
10-02-2014, 07:16 PM
http://couchlocked.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/laughing-hysterically_thumb.gif

Silent Sam
10-03-2014, 12:23 AM
..Thanks id-man...you made me laugh til my piss-bag was foaming !...(getting it removed tomorrow..again)

Ya have to rent (find) the movie, with Jack Nicholson & Mary Stienbergen..named "GOING SOUTH"

....I also, am awaiting the "TRICK" mentioned earlier...

macmac
10-04-2014, 07:09 PM
What's the trick for not using oil ? I bet it's the same trick i call wintah, where the bike also uses no gas. PMS

Ken Vega
11-03-2014, 07:12 PM
How many years have you ridden your current 1500/1600? How many miles do you have on your bike? What repairs have you done?

I bought my first Kaw this summer. I'm curious to see if anyone actually keeps their bikes for a long time, how much riding they do, and what repairs you have needed.

Bought mine in June with 9k on it, currently has just under 14k. Within the first 200 miles I had to replace the clutch spring!!

10 years on my 2004 1500 classic, has 25,000 miles. Still runs and looks like new. Just bought the 2014 Vaquero Abs SE. They sit side by side till I sell the 1500. I have maintained the bike meticulosly and have not had to make any major repairs.

Quarterbore
11-03-2014, 07:56 PM
8 days :)

amxguy1970
11-10-2014, 12:36 PM
Have mine for just over a year. Had 1900 miles on it when I bought it (2007 Nomad) and has 5500 on it now. Just oil and tires for me thus far. The lady I bought it from bought it from a family friend that couldn't ride anymore and just parked it. She had the tank and lines cleaned of old gas, tune up and a few other items done. It was to big for her so I bought it and it just needed to be ridden to clear everything out. Ran a little rough at first and runs great now.

Dad had a 76' Kawasaki KZ900 that had over 120k on it when it stopped running right, ended up being a broke plastic cam chain tensioner. All the Kawasaki's he has ever had have been awesome and no issues, this one is doing well so far.

Being in Texas and coming from a Suzuki Bandit I wanted a liquid cooled and fuel injected bike, this fit the bill. Already I enjoy hearing the fan kick on in traffic knowing it is safe idling along. Here is to many more years on her!

Tyler

Jllm02199
11-12-2014, 01:44 PM
New in 02. Still riding it. 130,000 miles.

kawvoy
11-12-2014, 08:48 PM
Bought my '05 in October 2013 with 5000 km on it. It now has 14,000 km on it. Put new tires on it right away because I bought it with the originals. Nothing else needed yet.

roads1
11-13-2014, 02:12 AM
I bought my Nomad new in 2007, Silver/ Champagne and have 38K on it. Mostly stock except dark side and a few lights and such.
This is my second Nomad, 2001 had 35K on it and my son has it still with 59K now.
I have been much of the country and love a good bagger. Nomad's run great with normal maintenance. And I have loved not having to visit the stealer for many parts or service.
In need of clutch spring and cam chain extenders but a daily driver. Weather in Florida permits mostly year round riding.

mick56
11-13-2014, 04:18 AM
New in 02. Still riding it. 130,000 miles.

:wave:That's a lot of mile's mate, what have you done to it in that time, any problem's ?:cheers:

Jllm02199
11-13-2014, 02:26 PM
:wave:That's a lot of mile's mate, what have you done to it in that time, any problem's ?:cheers:

I pulled the original motor and put in a 07 1600 with 14,000 on it.
The original had developed a knock so rather than tear it down I spent the 1000.00 for the 1600.
I sold the original motor and it was installed. May still be running.

SOO, technically I guess this engine has 55,000.

Put inner stator in the old motor.

Drive shaft around 100,000.

Cam chain extenders in both. Clutch spring in both.

Front wheel bearings once.

My only real complaint about the bike in general is the noisy top end. Much better with 5w 40 mobile one.

Hated having to burn premium. No real reason except thats the way Kawaski set it up. I put in a Dobeck TFI. Now it burns regular, runs great.

I wish I could have got that right in 02. Love the bike now.

rflnomad
11-15-2014, 12:56 PM
Bought ours brand new in 2005! only 18K miles and it's my fault I done ride it more. no real vacations on it; mostly commuting. Zzzzzz
No repairs (duh), tires and oil changes is about it.
Will be heading to the panhandle area in the spring so taking a week or so to cruise from south Florida to north Florida. Might hit Barber too!
Can't see replacing it as it does everything we like.

elvis
11-16-2014, 01:05 AM
I bought a 2008 Nomad new in Feb 2009, traded it in Sep 2012 at a little over 60,000 km. Fuel pp started making noises at 50K km, changed an oil seal on the shifter push rod, replaced the steering head bearings, that's all. Of course, tires and periodic maintenance.

Pre-2009 Nomads are beautiful, mine served me well and I traveled most of Western US on my Nomad.

Top Cat
11-16-2014, 01:20 AM
I bought a new Nomad in 2007 and put 88,000 miles on it by 2012.
Sold it and bought a 2008 with 12,000 miles on it.
Have put 25,000 miles on it to date.
Change oil and filter every 5,000 miles and nothing else unless the bike develops a problem. I don't believe in over maintenance like a lot of the ocd members on here :D

flavor
11-16-2014, 08:29 AM
My '07 new. What you said.......

Bought my 08 new and have no plans to trade. No issues and it suits me fine.

roadhawg
11-16-2014, 10:27 AM
"Pre-2009 Nomads are beautiful, mine served me well and I traveled most of Western US on my Nomad."

AMEN Brother! IF I ever do get a new bike, it definetly would NOT be a Harley! Much rather have a Victory or Indian!

Top Cat
11-16-2014, 11:05 AM
"Pre-2009 Nomads are beautiful, mine served me well and I traveled most of Western US on my Nomad."

AMEN Brother! IF I ever do get a new bike, it definetly would NOT be a Harley! Much rather have a Victory or Indian!

Ride a Victory before you buy, the slam bang transmission may bother you enough to be a deal breaker :shrug:

roadhawg
11-17-2014, 08:58 AM
Ride a Victory before you buy, the slam bang transmission may bother you enough to be a deal breaker :shrug:

Yes, now that you mention it, they all have clunky/funky sounding tranny.
At least compared to my Nomad.
I test rode all 3 Harley, Victory and Indian.

mobandy78
11-26-2014, 05:07 PM
My dad bought an '05 Nomad new off the dealer showroom floor. He rode it for a few years. The last year or two of him owning it, I probably put more miles on it than he did. Once I started putting money into it for him, he signed it over to me as a birthday present. It now has close to 40k miles on it. Never had to do any mechanical work to it, just maintain it and a few mods to it. The thing has a tank for an engine and runs like a top.

1mackdog
11-28-2014, 01:08 PM
I purchased my Nomad new in 2005 have done several mods. It has been the best bike I've ever owned. Been riding since I was 10.i have right at 40,000 miles no big maintenance problems. Great bike!

pbab
12-02-2014, 09:34 AM
Purchased mine new in '06. New tires, battery and oil changes are all the maintenance I've done. Numerous mods of course, but no mechanical problems. I've ridden others, Harley road king and Victory, but I'm just too comfortable on the ole Nomad to change.

duck
12-08-2014, 10:51 PM
Been riding mine since new Feb 2000, now at 125000 miles

nomad ryder
12-09-2014, 12:48 PM
Bought the '04 Nomad in '09 with 16k on it. About 53k on it now. Mods are opened the intake, Dobeck module, debaff'ed pipes, 19mm deep sockets for risers. Service and repairs; head bearings replaced, hydro fluids flushed and replaced, brake pads, final drive checked, coolant checked, new battery, oil change every 5k. I want to put in the cam chain tensioner extenders, (have the parts) and check the front bearings, getting a little howling whine in corners. All in all, pretty happy with it. Sort of considering a used Suzook 'Strom as a second bike for a little fun in the dirt. (my BIL very dirt-oriented).

Sidewalkman
12-10-2014, 05:30 PM
I would answer but firmly believe that to do so would invoke the gremlin gods to smite me with a huge amount of repairs.

But I've had the bike 2 years, added cosmetics mostly, bike has 70K
KM on it, motor rebuilt 10K ago

mick56
12-10-2014, 05:36 PM
I would answer but firmly believe that to do so would invoke the gremlin gods to smite me with a huge amount of repairs.

But I've had the bike 2 years, added cosmetics mostly, bike has 70K
KM on it, motor rebuilt 10K ago

Hello mate, why was the engine rebuilt after so few mile's, and what model is it.:cheers:

frend
12-13-2014, 02:22 PM
Всем привет ! )
Купил свой Nomad 2005, с пробегом 871 mil, на еВау. На сегодня пробег 102 000 т/км. На 47 т/км заменил цепи грм и диски сцепления с пружиной. Сейчас готовлюсь поменять направляющие клапанов/маслосъёмные колпачки/кольца. Расход масла в этом сезоне сильно огорчил(. На 8000 т/км 6 л масла. ((
И те мне менее, это для меня самый лучший мотоцикл.
Nomad - the Best ! ))

redjay
12-13-2014, 04:00 PM
What he said !

mick56
12-13-2014, 05:19 PM
He said he bought his bike on ebay for a lot of rubel's when it had 47,000km on it, it now has 102,000km and he's ridden it all over the damn place until his arse is sore,this year he's done 8,000km in 6 month's and drunk a shitload of Vodka, and he love's his Nomad but why wont anyone talk to him >:( . :D

I just Googled Wikepedia for his home town Kaliningrad, interesting history.

redjay
12-13-2014, 05:24 PM
You are a man of many talents Mick. Does drinking lots of Vodka teach you Russian :)

mick56
12-13-2014, 05:34 PM
Всем привет ! )
Купил свой Nomad 2005, с пробегом 871 mil, на еВау. На сегодня пробег 102 000 т/км. На 47 т/км заменил цепи грм и диски сцепления с пружиной. Сейчас готовлюсь поменять направляющие клапанов/маслосъёмные колпачки/кольца. Расход масла в этом сезоне сильно огорчил(. На 8000 т/км 6 л масла. ((
И те мне менее, это для меня самый лучший мотоцикл.
Nomad - the Best ! ))

:wave:Frend, welcome mate, you might want to find a way of getting a translator on you're computer so that you're post's can be understood, otherwise bloke's like me are just going to take the piss :D:cheers:

mick56
12-13-2014, 05:36 PM
You are a man of many talents Mick. Does drinking lots of Vodka teach you Russian :)

That and reading the label's when they are upside down on the optic's in the bar :tup::D

frend
12-14-2014, 01:47 PM
He said he bought his bike on ebay for a lot of rubel's when it had 47,000km on it...

http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/facepalm.gif

Hi ! Sorry, wrong. Bought a motorcycle with mileage just 871 miles.
At present, mileage 102 000 km. 47 000 km replaced the timing chain and clutch with spring. Now preparing to change the valve guides / STEM SEAL / ring. Oil consumption in this season was very angry (. In 8000 km 6 liters of oil. ((
By the way, I prefer vodka whiskey.

Everyone - the world! http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/drinks.gif

redjay
12-14-2014, 02:40 PM
Hello and Welcome

mick56
12-14-2014, 03:19 PM
http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/facepalm.gif

Hi ! Sorry, wrong. Bought a motorcycle with mileage just 871 miles.
At present, mileage 102 000 km. 47 000 km replaced the timing chain and clutch with spring. Now preparing to change the valve guides / STEM SEAL / ring. Oil consumption in this season was very angry (. In 8000 km 6 liters of oil. ((
By the way, I prefer vodka whiskey.

Everyone - the world! http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/drinks.gif

Ahhaa you sneaky bastard,:wave: cant trust them damn Russian's :D You're city formerly Konigsberg,home to the Russian Baltic fleet, has a very interesting history, do you consider yourself a Russian, or is it like some of the other Baltic countries where some do and other's are more nationalistic, what are the view's of the majority about remaining under Russian control,do you think some would like to join the European union. And 6 litre's of oil in 8,000 km is a bit thirsty mate,that bike drink's nearly a much as you.:tup::cheers:

frend
12-14-2014, 03:51 PM
Hello and Welcome

Thanks! http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/thank_you2.gif

frend
12-14-2014, 03:59 PM
... You're city formerly Konigsberg,home to the Russian Baltic fleet, has a very interesting history...

Oh yeah! From this beautiful city, little remains. Is that just a name. ((Those bastards that are in power without firing and bombing almost destroyed what used to be called the city Kёnigsberg. But this is a topic for a long conversation, and not here.

duck
12-14-2014, 10:01 PM
Danimal, Good to see that I am not the only Greenie rider in Az, I am in the process of moving to my home in Chino Valley from Illinois. I will most likely ride down to the Valley as one of my brothers lives in Glendale as well.....Jim aka duck

InkyDoggy
12-18-2014, 01:01 AM
The one I have now I just bought a couple months ago but rode it until it got too cold out. I do have a 73 Harley XLCH that I bought new in 73 and have ridden that one for 40 years plus now. When I was in high school in the 60's I used to ride a 36 Knucklehead Harley to school. I even rode in the winter months on snow packed roads.

Loafer
12-18-2014, 05:09 AM
The one I have now I just bought a couple months ago but rode it until it got too cold out. I do have a 73 Harley XLCH that I bought new in 73 and have ridden that one for 40 years plus now. When I was in high school in the 60's I used to ride a 36 Knucklehead Harley to school. I even rode in the winter months on snow packed roads.

You were brave soul, good for you! :cheers:

danimal2
12-18-2014, 09:56 AM
Danimal, Good to see that I am not the only Greenie rider in Az, I am in the process of moving to my home in Chino Valley from Illinois. I will most likely ride down to the Valley as one of my brothers lives in Glendale as well.....Jim aka duck

I've seen a few other greenie riders around Phoenix, but not many. It's good to be different.

ebailey13
12-18-2014, 09:58 AM
1999 Nomad. Bought used in 2004 with 12000 miles. Just rolled 139800. Regular maintenance and cam chain extenders besides the obvious modifications.

danimal2
12-18-2014, 10:04 AM
1999 Nomad. Bought used in 2004 with 12000 miles. Just rolled 139800. Regular maintenance and cam chain extenders besides the obvious modifications.

What did you do about the POG? Just curious since you didn't mention it.

Sidewalkman
12-18-2014, 09:55 PM
Hello mate, why was the engine rebuilt after so few mile's, and what model is it.:cheers:

N1600, 2004, the PO was riding in the middle of nowhere BC, Canada and seized it. I'm thinking he ran it out of oil or overheated ity but both seem almost impossible to do.

So he had it taken to a MC shop in a smaller town and said 'fix it', I've got the bills and it came to 6500+$$$. He was so pissed he rode it back straight to a dealership here and traded it on a new Nomad. I bought it a couple of weeks later.

Rambler3
12-18-2014, 10:16 PM

I rode my 2007 Nomad 18000 miles the first 18 months I had it. I have had it 22 months now. My wife and I rode coast to coast to coast this summer with no problems. I only had to replace a spot light bulb. I do recommend Ultimate seats, Dunlop elite 3 tires and Chucksters 2.5inch risers. The bike now has 25,500 miles on it now and I have no plans on trading it. Great bike. Rambler3

DR Roos
12-18-2014, 10:59 PM
1 year and roughly 10,000 miles.. lots of mods :tup:

Navigator
12-19-2014, 01:26 AM
90 miles since I bought my 2007 Nomad a few weeks ago and absolutely no problems. :tup:

mick56
12-19-2014, 03:16 AM
90 miles since I bought my 2007 Nomad a few weeks ago and absolutely no problems. :tup:

:wave: I bought mine about 2yrs ago and had a problem before i even fired it up,i had'nt ridden a bike for 20 yrs, and never anything as big and cumbersome as a Nomad,i was scared shitless of it, and it showed :D

jd01
12-19-2014, 10:14 AM
Bought my Nomad new in 2001. Now has almost 57,000 miles on it and other than regular maintenance and addition of some mods, it's been doing great so far. Added the cam chain tensioner extenders at around 42,000 miles and although so far so good, Barnett clutch spring will probably be in it's future.

Navigator
12-19-2014, 10:26 AM
:wave: I bought mine about 2yrs ago and had a problem before i even fired it up,i had'nt ridden a bike for 20 yrs, and never anything as big and cumbersome as a Nomad,i was scared shitless of it, and it showed :D

Back in the 60s we started out on a Japanese 125-250 and then graduated to the big bike, a Triumph Bonneville at a whopping 37 HP. It seems that a lot of riders now start out with a big bike.

One of the Nomads I looked at before buying the one I did was a 2007 with 19K on the clock. The guy loved it and said he'd never had a single issue. With a second baby on the way he'd made the decision to spend more time with the family rather than ride.

mick56
12-19-2014, 10:45 AM
Back in the 60s we started out on a Japanese 125-250 and then graduated to the big bike, a Triumph Bonneville at a whopping 37 HP. It seems that a lot of riders now start out with a big bike.

One of the Nomads I looked at before buying the one I did was a 2007 with 19K on the clock. The guy loved it and said he'd never had a single issue. With a second baby on the way he'd made the decision to spend more time with the family rather than ride.

:wave: Hello mate, i did the bike's when i was a young bloke, and did my fair share of crashing when i was made of rubber, women and travel side tracked me for a while, but later on when i decided to give it another go i was unprepared for the size of my Nomad, my mate's have got picture's of my first go on it and still take the piss :D, i do wonder what make's a bloke give up something that he love's to get tangled up with a woman though :shrug:

Navigator
12-19-2014, 12:56 PM
:wave: Hello mate, i did the bike's when i was a young bloke, and did my fair share of crashing when i was made of rubber, women and travel side tracked me for a while, but later on when i decided to give it another go i was unprepared for the size of my Nomad, my mate's have got picture's of my first go on it and still take the piss :D, i do wonder what make's a bloke give up something that he love's to get tangled up with a woman though :shrug:

Absolutely.. When you're off them for awhile it can be a real shocker to bet back on a full sized tourer. I was off the Rocket for nearly two years and when I took the test ride on the Nomad thought crikey but this is a big machine. A couple of memory lane pics for ya Mick.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z206/Gasket1610/Rocker.jpg (http://s193.photobucket.com/user/Gasket1610/media/Rocker.jpg.html)

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z206/Gasket1610/Heritage.jpg (http://s193.photobucket.com/user/Gasket1610/media/Heritage.jpg.html)

GeorgeHouston
12-19-2014, 01:39 PM
I hve been riding the 1600 for a while but it was my frnd's

mick56
12-19-2014, 02:16 PM
Absolutely.. When you're off them for awhile it can be a real shocker to bet back on a full sized tourer. I was off the Rocket for nearly two years and when I took the test ride on the Nomad thought crikey but this is a big machine. A couple of memory lane pics for ya Mick.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z206/Gasket1610/Rocker.jpg (http://s193.photobucket.com/user/Gasket1610/media/Rocker.jpg.html)

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z206/Gasket1610/Heritage.jpg (http://s193.photobucket.com/user/Gasket1610/media/Heritage.jpg.html)

:wave:Yo mate, my brother had a 1953 pre unit bonneville when i was a nipper, allway's loved that bike, i would look a bit silly on it now.
http://images.motorcycle-usa.com/PhotoGallerys/1960-Triumph-Bonneville_4.jpg

Navigator
12-19-2014, 02:34 PM
That's a sweet one Mick. I've been exchanging a few PMs with one of our other members on the subject of vintage/classic Triumphs. I've got a running 1967 TR6C and three project Triumphs, a 1947, '57 and '58 (all 650s). While I've had several unit construction Bonnies I am now partial to the pre-units.

I was trying to start my '67 a couple of months back and realized two things; I probably looked very foolish on it because it felt like the size of a bicycle and it was an absolute bear to kick it over. The old knees are what they used to be.

mick56
12-19-2014, 03:37 PM
That's a sweet one Mick. I've been exchanging a few PMs with one of our other members on the subject of vintage/classic Triumphs. I've got a running 1967 TR6C and three project Triumphs, a 1947, '57 and '58 (all 650s). While I've had several unit construction Bonnies I am now partial to the pre-units.

I was trying to start my '67 a couple of months back and realized two things; I probably looked very foolish on it because it felt like the size of a bicycle and it was an absolute bear to kick it over. The old knees are what they used to be.

When i was a nipper it was a regular thing to hear my brother shouting and swearing from the garden as he jumped up and down on the kickstart, and then hear a backfire, we'd look at each other over breakfast as we worked out whose turn it was to go and hook him out of the hay loft :D

gwdriver
12-19-2014, 04:31 PM
Thought you guys interested in cafe racers would like this. In my garage is a 1958 Velocette Venom. Just finished rebuilding the engine. The seat is out now being reupholstered. The exhaust is out being triple chrome plated. In 2 weeks the frame, tank and fenders are going out for a paint job. I am painting it carbon metallic black. Should be putting it back together in a month. I will post pics. I also have a original 1958 English license plate for it.

mick56
12-19-2014, 04:59 PM
Thought you guys interested in cafe racers would like this. In my garage is a 1958 Velocette Venom. Just finished rebuilding the engine. The seat is out now being reupholstered. The exhaust is out being triple chrome plated. In 2 weeks the frame, tank and fenders are going out for a paint job. I am painting it carbon metallic black. Should be putting it back together in a month. I will post pics. I also have a original 1958 English license plate for it.

:wave:F.k me sideways nipper,is my first response, nice bike's mate, i would'nt be surprised to find that the blokes who run this show disagree though.

https://orangehipsters.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/tester-muppets-old-men-in-the-balcony.jpg

Navigator
12-19-2014, 05:55 PM

No kiddin'. A Venom. Please do post some pics. I've got plate that probably none of you have. Guantanamo Bay Cuba. It was in my TR6C.

That's where I got it, Cuba. And what a story behind it there is. :D

Iceman
12-20-2014, 09:10 AM
I have a 2001 1500 Classic. I bought her with 10,995 miles in March 2010. I have passed the 50,000 mile mark this past Sept. I slowed down riding her because I bought a 2010 Voyager and have been racking up about 15,000 miles this year on her. Nice weather I ride the Classic, wet or cold weather I ride the Voyager. Both great bikes.

Navigator
12-20-2014, 11:46 AM
I have a 2001 1500 Classic. I bought her with 10,995 miles in March 2010. I have passed the 50,000 mile mark this past Sept. I slowed down riding her because I bought a 2010 Voyager and have been racking up about 15,000 miles this year on her. Nice weather I ride the Classic, wet or cold weather I ride the Voyager. Both great bikes.

Have you done all of services such as lubing the driving line, spines, swing arm etc. My Nomad riding buddies here do that at about 50K miles. I had no idea that there was a much more frequent periodicity requirement until I read several threads about it on this forum.

BagMan
12-20-2014, 09:50 PM
I used to ride the famous Z1-900's when I was younger.
Haven't been on a bike in 20 years, until my youngest started getting interested in motorcycles.
He picked him up a 02 meanstreak, and I found the nomad I liked.
Now I been on one for about 3 months.