PDA

View Full Version : belt noise cure

gunshot
09-17-2014, 10:19 PM
hello to everyone, after about eight months of looking at the belt on my vv1700 running to the left and making some noise I decided to find out why, so after about four hours with a tape and a mic I found that the engine is not square with the swingarm, so after about a hour of thinking and looking I came up with a cure and my belt is now one quarter to three eights off the front pully flange, if anyone is interested give me a call, it takes about a hour to do. Bill 4072523857

ACDCfn
09-17-2014, 11:13 PM
My belt runs to the left no matter what I do. You should try to do a detailed write up here so that everyone can use it and maybe even improve or test your solution

Boscoe
09-19-2014, 05:31 PM
...my belt is now one quarter to three eights off the front pully flange...

This doesn't sound good at all.

smokey
09-19-2014, 06:35 PM
my belt is now one quarter to three eights off the front pully flange, if anyone is interested give me a call, it takes about a hour to do. Bill 4072523857
To me that would mean that the rest of belt is now taking up additional stress and that part that is not on the front flange may cause uneven wear on the belt. I have had no issues with mine and the most important thing is to ensure the rear wheel is aligned so the belt is in a straight line, I don't see how the engine mounting could be a problem.

Yellow Jacket
09-19-2014, 08:18 PM
According to the parts diagram the front belt pulley has a flange (raised lip) on the outer edge (or left side as sitting on the bike) of the pulley. If the belt was riding on the flange, none of the belt would be engaging the slotted teeth on the pulley.

gunshot
09-19-2014, 09:41 PM
I think some may have misunder stood what I said, the belt is not rideing on top of the flange it it is rubbing hard aginst it, if you get the rear wheel square with the swing arm and put a straight edge across the rear pully and up to the front pully the front pully (motor) on mine was turned to the left, the front edge of the pully was touching the straight edge but the back edge was off 3/16 inch so I moved the motor to the right by putting two 3/16 inch washers on each bolt between the frame on the left side and two 3/16 between the frame split on the right side, now I have 3/16 space between my front pully flange and the belt and almost center on the rear, hope this helps.

smokey
09-19-2014, 09:54 PM
I think some may have misunder stood what I said, the belt is not rideing on top of the flange it it is rubbing hard aginst it, if you get the rear wheel square with the swing arm and put a straight edge across the rear pully and up to the front pully the front pully (motor) on mine was turned to the left, the front edge of the pully was touching the straight edge but the back edge was off 3/16 inch so I moved the motor to the right by putting two 3/16 inch washers on each bolt between the frame on the left side and two 3/16 between the frame split on the right side, now I have 3/16 space between my front pully flange and the belt and almost center on the rear, hope this helps.

I guess we certainly did misunderstand because it appeared you had moved the belt itself over.

Yellow Jacket
09-19-2014, 10:11 PM
OK, it's all clear now. Thanks! :cheers:

Silent Sam
09-19-2014, 11:27 PM
I'd bet that running the belt with no side friction will be a lot quieter...and make the belt last a lot longer (even the pulley may last longer)..and perhaps transfer better power to the pavement..and include better economy !

talon
09-23-2014, 01:31 PM
Did it lessen the belt noise? Let us know how it works out. May have to do that little adjustment myself. There is a definite whine caused by the belt at certain rpms.

cactusjack
09-23-2014, 01:48 PM
How do you know it wasn't the rear pulley that was out of whack?

Boscoe
09-23-2014, 03:09 PM
How do you know it wasn't the rear pulley that was out of whack?

Out of whack compared to what? It would have been OK to move the rear pulley over instead, but it may have been easier to just move the engine.

ringadingh
09-23-2014, 03:42 PM
Is there any way to shim the front pulley with washers so it will allow the belt to have its full contact?

R_W_B
09-23-2014, 03:56 PM
. . . . . . . the back edge was off 3/16 inch so . . . . . . . ..

Thanks for the write up. Wow that much off from front to back of the front pulley. I'm guessing that pulley is about 4" dia ? That's out quite a bit for that much distance. Wonder if the all come that aligned that bad.

gunshot
09-23-2014, 10:27 PM
there are only two things that will make belt noise, belt to tight and the belt rubbing on the front pully flange, these bikes are hard to align the rear wheel on, the best way I found is to measure the adjusting bolts, once the wheel is square with the swingarm turn each nut one quarter turn until the belt has ten mil slack with ten pounds of pressure, when the bike is lowered to the ground with its weight on it the belt will have four to five mil slack once the belt is adjusted if you can look under the bike at the front pulley and see where the belt is if it is to the left on the rear pulley its most likley rubbing on the front pulley flange, only two ways to stop this that I know is to move the motor front to the right or run the rear wheel out of alignmemt Im thinking this maybe why the rear tires wear so fast.