PDA

View Full Version : DIY Maintenance

stewart
07-04-2007, 12:10 PM
This ones for the shade-tree mechanics out there. Professionals if you respond please at least identify yourself as such.

What maintenance items/services do you perform yourself?

What maintenance items/services are better left to the dealer?

In the XXXXX miles I have owned my nomad the things I have had to service that were not routine maintenance are XXXXX.

Thanks,

Stewart

waynem
07-04-2007, 06:20 PM
I had a problem with a computer throttle wire that the factory cut when assembling. The dealer soldered it but it did not hold. I fixed it myself. Took the strain off the wire and re-soldered. Ran 'till I totaled it. Other than that - I let the dealer do everything. There are many things that I could do, but I like the fact that if something goes wrong, and the dealer installed it - it's their nickel to fix it, not mine.

I'll pay the $70 a hour for the peace of mind of a warranty. I have been known to mess up from time-to -time. I was wrong once. NO, I was just mistaken.

Semper Fi!

dip
07-04-2007, 10:01 PM
you wrong waynem NO! say it aint so! http://s2.images.proboards.com/shocked.gif :)

spork
07-04-2007, 10:58 PM
I have only had the Nomad now for about 1000 miles. (Bought it in May) So I can say that so far my 2001 1500Nomad Fi that I bought with 18666 miles on it has had the front brake switch go out, and I am currently tearing the final dirve apart for replacement of large "O" ring, shaft seal and I am almost 100% certain that I will find a plugged up vent on the final.

I had a 2000 Classic before this one and I had clutch spring trash at 12, 000 miles and the most nasty experience was the failure of the bevel gear while about 500 miles from home.

Now in response to what I do myself. - If it has anything at all to do with wiring or electricity I NEVER do it myself. That stuff my mind has never been able to comprehend. If I read through the shop manual and it seems comfortable to me then I do it. If there are special tools required (such as the disassembly of the rear drive case) then I do what I can and then take it to the dealer.

If I had the money to have the dealer do all the work, I would still probably do as much as I can myself. I don't want to pay someone $65-$70 an hour to attach bolts. etc......

The bevel gear job was all done by the dealer. It was never the same and never rode like it did before. Not that the dealer did anything wrong, it just wasn't "right."

It really all depends on tools, your comfort level, and how much you enjoy learning about your bike.

My 2 cents.

waynem
07-05-2007, 10:51 AM
DIP,
It's "SO." At 66 years of age tomorrow, I was through bustin' knuckles about 15 years ago. I'll still do a few things, but when it comes to warranty, you can't beat the dealer having to fix something they fixed once before for free. Now, I figure I'm worth about $40 an hour - todays going rate. So I sit and work for 4 hours, it's $160 in labor + parts. The dealer does the same job in two hours, $140 labor + parts. I saved $20 - still had time to run around in the cage - OR just stand their and supervise there work. Fortunately they let me do that.

So you see - I save all around and still have fun.

Semper Fi!

dip
07-05-2007, 07:27 PM
You make me smile waynem. :) I see you have this thing down to a personal science. Me on the other hand, I need to learn how to do at least the basics e.g. change the oil, put on a few accessories that don't require anything more than a twist, a bolt or a screw (guess a hammer wouldn't be a good thing). I don't have the money to always pay the dealer besides I would rather save my money for other things e.g. more bike stuff.

I don't think I'll ever get to the stage of being able to fix anything if I brake down, but I always feel like I'm getting shafted by the dealer - even when I have to take my cage in for repair. I know they are overcharging me just to touch the dang thing. My hubby is mechanically inclined, but if he is pissed at me for some reason or the other ::) then I'm on my own. I am way to independent to be dependent - so it is off to a maintenance repair course I go.

waynem
07-05-2007, 08:59 PM
Don't get me wrong Groundhog or DIP. I've turned a few screws in my lifetime. Busted knuckles on some dirt bikes, lambretta, Bennelli, even a Corvair (You do know what a corvair is don't you?) I just value my time more and I trust the mechanics I deal with locally. Pulling off the engine cover to put the clutch assist "O" ring back in is no biggie.

But - I carry a few "come and get me and fix me," cards in my wallet and it includes hotel overnight if I need it.

Semper Fi!

dip
07-06-2007, 08:09 PM
waynem - I make no assumptions or judgements on anyone, I'm a strictly to each his own type of person...hey did I hear you say you have a birthday coming up. If so, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :) :) :)

I forget stuff fast if it isn't written down, so in case I'm a little early forgive me. http://s2.images.proboards.com/cool.gif

waynem
07-06-2007, 09:39 PM
Ah! It's old hat now. Birthday is today and it's over.

Thanks,

Semper Fi!

vaughn
07-09-2007, 04:08 PM
I do all my own maintenance. From oil changes to oil gears and clutch work. Always have and I guess I always will. The only thing I have done at a shop is take my own tire and rim to have them mount and balance.
A good thing to have on hand is a manual and several web sites including VROC and Gadgets site.

jd
07-09-2007, 10:43 PM
(You do know what a corvair is don't you?)

I do; wanna buy one? <G>

trip
07-10-2007, 06:45 AM
The small stuff, oil/filter change, spark plugs, air filter, etc...I do myself. But, I'm not the greatest mechanic or mechanically inclined person in the world, so I leave the bigger stuff to mechanics. There's a place near where I live in Tyler, Texas called Scooter Pete's that does an excellent job on just about anything I need. And the price is right, so I use them for everything I'm not confident in doing.

Trip

dragon57
07-13-2007, 04:22 PM
I do every bit of my maintainence myself, always have. Like Grondhog said, I value my life! I build custom Harleys as a hobby, but this my first asian bike, so I'm still learning about it. It really depends on your level of expertise, and desire to learn. I say, to each his own; if you're not comfortable with doing it, then PLEASE take it to a pro! you'll be safer, and so will everyone else out there.